Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Complaining about Sims 4.

Comments

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    It really doesn't require much thought does it. If I had to rate the game on which age group it required to succeed and or have the Sim be happy, I would say age five or so. MySims might require more thought than TS4 and more strategy of how to get Sims out of trouble (since there is none in TS4) and possibly require more ingenunity on the part of the player than TS4 does. There is very little challenge in keeping the Sim alive, or overseeing their happiness or not. I have literally walked away and left it running and nothing happened other than the Sim remained bascially happy for hours and lack of money meant nothing either. Power off was no big deal to the Sim. Why should it be when they can just whip out their phone for ten hours, never needing recharge, and never die from accident (extremely rare) or starve. It's like turning on the TV and then just leave it on and go do something else, it's no challenge at all to keep the Sim happy or healthy.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    The Sims is a bit like Lego. Some people make marvellous constructions from a basic box and some get stuck building a hut. It's sandbox. The only way, when I find Sims 4 getting a bit dull, is to find a challenge or try building another family or lot.

There was more longevity for packs in previous games though and I hope EA ups its' "game" when we go totally 64bit.
  • MLadyAzzeraMLadyAzzera Posts: 1,174 Member
    edited April 2019
    One way you could challenge yourself is to have your sim quit their job once they get rich, buy lots of expensive items (this raises sim's bills) and then let their bills empty out their account (right now Judith Ward in my game has 27,000 in bills every week). Start a new career and repeat. You could also use testingcheats on - money X (X being # amount) to auto reduce their savings. Give sims negative traits to spice up the game even more.
  • RavioliWusGoodRavioliWusGood Posts: 19 Member
    I think that Sim4 just really needs to put more attention to detail in smaller things, like player menu announcements and more jobs instead of packs
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited April 2019
    All these people saying TS4 is a sandbox game make me laugh. This is the game that tells you exactly what to do in almost any instance. This is the game that forces sims to be happy, this is the game that forces sims to be friends. This, is not a sandbox game, and most importantly, it's not a challenging game.

You never loose anything, or get any penalties in this game because it hurts the players feelings. Even if you don't pay the bills sims don't complain and get in a crappy mood about the lack of light like in TS3. There's no repo man so your stuff isn't going to get repossessed. And sims can eat quick meals easy without electricity which they don't have to pay for. No matter what your sim never dies. And this isn't the sims 2 or 3 where your nemesis would make your life a hell by throwing garbage on your lawn or constantly try to harass your sim.

It's actually more challenging to keep a bad reputation in TS4 rather than a good one, which makes no sense ahaha. Because sims are constantly trying to be good to the people they are suppose to hate.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    All these people saying TS4 is a sandbox game make me laugh. This is the game that tells you exactly what to do in almost any instance. This is the game that forces sims to be happy, this is the game that forces sims to be friends. This, is not a sandbox game, and most importantly, it's not a challenging game.

You never loose anything, or get any penalties in this game because it hurts the players feelings. Even if you don't pay the bills sims don't complain and get in a plum mood about the lack of light like in TS3. There's no repo man so your stuff isn't going to get repossessed. And sims can eat quick meals easy without electricity which they don't have to pay for. No matter what your sim never dies. And this isn't the sims 2 or 3 where your nemesis would make your life a hell by throwing garbage on your lawn or constantly try to harass your sim.

It's actually more challenging to keep a bad reputation in TS4 rather than a good one, which makes no sense ahaha. Because sims are constantly trying to be good to the people they are suppose to hate.

It's still a sandbox for me. It's the nearest to this definition for me

https://www.techopedia.com/definition/3952/sandbox-gaming

A sandbox is a style of game in which minimal character limitations are placed on the gamer, allowing the gamer to roam and change a virtual world at will. In contrast to a progression-style game, a sandbox game emphasizes roaming and allows a gamer to select tasks. Instead of featuring segmented areas or numbered levels, a sandbox game usually occurs in a “world” to which the gamer has full access from start to finish.
    A sandbox game is also known as an open-world or free-roaming game.

Techopedia explains Sandbox
    Sandbox games can include structured elements – such as mini-games, tasks, submissions and storylines – that may be ignored by gamers. In fact, the sandbox game's nonlinear nature creates storyline challenges for game designers. For this reason, tasks and side missions usually follow a progression, where tasks are unlocked upon successful task completion.
    Sandbox game types vary. Massive multiplayer online role-playing games (MMORPG) generally include a mixture of sandbox and progression gaming and heavily depend on emergent interactive user gameplay for retaining non-progression-focused gamers. Modern "beat 'em ups" and first-person shooters have delved more deeply into the sandbox realm with titles like the "Grand Theft Auto" series, "Red Dead Redemption," "Assassin’s Creed" and others, allowing gamers to run and gun wherever the mood takes them.

In spite of their name, various sandbox games continue to impose restrictions at some stages of the game environment. This can be due the game's design limitations, or can be short-run, in-game limitations, such as some locked areas in games that are unlocked once certain milestones are achieved.
  • TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    Simburian wrote: »
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

You never loose anything, or get any penalties in this game because it hurts the players feelings. Even if you don't pay the bills sims don't complain and get in a plum mood about the lack of light like in TS3. There's no repo man so your stuff isn't going to get repossessed. And sims can eat quick meals easy without electricity which they don't have to pay for. No matter what your sim never dies. And this isn't the sims 2 or 3 where your nemesis would make your life a hell by throwing garbage on your lawn or constantly try to harass your sim.

It's still a sandbox for me. It's the nearest to this definition for me

https://www.techopedia.com/definition/3952/sandbox-gaming

A sandbox is a style of game in which minimal character limitations are placed on the gamer, allowing the gamer to roam and change a virtual world at will. In contrast to a progression-style game, a sandbox game emphasizes roaming and allows a gamer to select tasks. Instead of featuring segmented areas or numbered levels, a sandbox game usually occurs in a “world” to which the gamer has full access from start to finish.
    A sandbox game is also known as an open-world or free-roaming game.

Techopedia explains Sandbox
    Sandbox games can include structured elements – such as mini-games, tasks, submissions and storylines – that may be ignored by gamers. In fact, the sandbox game's nonlinear nature creates storyline challenges for game designers. For this reason, tasks and side missions usually follow a progression, where tasks are unlocked upon successful task completion.
    Sandbox game types vary. Massive multiplayer online role-playing games (MMORPG) generally include a mixture of sandbox and progression gaming and heavily depend on emergent interactive user gameplay for retaining non-progression-focused gamers. Modern "beat 'em ups" and first-person shooters have delved more deeply into the sandbox realm with titles like the "Grand Theft Auto" series, "Red Dead Redemption," "Assassin’s Creed" and others, allowing gamers to run and gun wherever the mood takes them.

In spite of their name, various sandbox games continue to impose restrictions at some stages of the game environment. This can be due the game's design limitations, or can be short-run, in-game limitations, such as some locked areas in games that are unlocked once certain milestones are achieved.

For me this game will be still sandbox at its core. For othets it may not be, but for me it is, and I am having fun with it.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,284 Member
    edited April 2019
    Where I find this game too easy is Sims don't die of things that can actually kill in RL. Take getting struck by lightning, as an example. How many people in reality survive such a strike? If all did, we would never hear about it in the news. Even a second strike won't take the Sim out. There's no real fear or anxiety. Ghosts can no longer scare a Sim to death. If and that's a big IF, your silly Sim gets dazed trying to repair something electric or electronic and doesn't recover from being dazed before they continue the repairs, then and ONLY then can a Sim be electrocuted to death.

I am of the firm belief these deaths should be more random. There should be a percentage of instant death from any of the life-threatening actions taken by a Sim. I began Simming with Sims2. It was a tricky thing keeping a pregnant Sim alive through her pregnancy. Even taking out the trash (although, I never understood that one) could end her life.

There needs to be more of a challenge to this game. Some sense of concern when playing. An honest threat that if we don't take the proper care of our Sims, they can be lost.

As for avoiding wealth, that's up to the player. You can control the horizontal and the vertical. There are cheats to employ to remove some of the cash on hand, for instance. Or, you can choose to put your Sim in the lowest paying job. Or, keep them from getting that raise by slacking off on the job. You can have your Sim get fired by said behavior or quit and constantly start new jobs keeping them at the lowest level.

It's not hard enough in many other ways, not just in the accumulation of wealth. Although in reality I wouldn't mind should God decide to smite me with it, LOL. But, as was mentioned, it's all up to the angle you take in playing the game.

I make my own Sims and I create their own 'story'.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member
    edited April 2019
    Sims 4 is the easiest game I have ever played. There is nothing challenging about a game that holds your hand at all times and is designed to operate in a nauseatingly happy-go-lucky setting 24/7.

I consider Sims 4 a children’s game because it’s basically about being happy and friendly with everyone at all times without any chance of something negative happening. If you want something dramatic then you have to do that yourself, which IMO defeats the purpose and isn’t what made me like the other games.
  • katrinasforestkatrinasforest Posts: 1,002 Member
    edited April 2019
    Cinebar wrote: »
    It really doesn't require much thought does it. If I had to rate the game on which age group it required to succeed and or have the Sim be happy, I would say age five or so. MySims might require more thought than TS4 and more strategy of how to get Sims out of trouble (since there is none in TS4) and possibly require more ingenunity on the part of the player than TS4 does. There is very little challenge in keeping the Sim alive, or overseeing their happiness or not. I have literally walked away and left it running and nothing happened other than the Sim remained bascially happy for hours and lack of money meant nothing either. Power off was no big deal to the Sim. Why should it be when they can just whip out their phone for ten hours, never needing recharge, and never die from accident (extremely rare) or starve. It's like turning on the TV and then just leave it on and go do something else, it's no challenge at all to keep the Sim happy or healthy.

I question the "extreme rarity" of the accidents. ^_^

I tried to walk away from my Sims recently (less than a minute to get a snack) and while I was gone, one of the Sims who couldn't cook tried to do it anyway and set herself on fire. Grim had already arrived when I sat back down.

In the game save I use for my comic, I brought a ghost back to life only to immediately watch him keel over again because he was enraged at the time.

I'm not sure the odds of dying by pufferfish, but it was insta-kill the first time I tried it.

I can also attest that the game left in the hands of a five-year-old (or thereabouts) can lead to either nothing happening or several Sims freezing to death right after Father Winter right gets knocked out with a tranquilizing handshake. (It's worth noting that five-year-olds generally do not have the reading level required for the game--I had to read things aloud. I guess "tranquilizing handshake" sounded cool.)

It's random.
    Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.
  • filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    With better personalities the game would have been less boring and easy. Still waiting for an overhaul on those "unique sims" EA. 🤭

Same
  • TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    filipomel wrote: »
    With better personalities the game would have been less boring and easy. Still waiting for an overhaul on those "unique sims" EA. 🤭

Same

Me Too. This is the only thing that I wish in the base game itself.
  • CaityTrinaCaityTrina Posts: 555 Member
    Just throwing this in here
    the sims 4 game genre classification is virtual life simulation specifically focused on social simulation (between simnation residents) with sandbox and rpg elements.

I understand some of the things are quirky and unrealistic (it would make more sense to die from depression than it would to die from embarassment) cause the more realistic stuff could be too serious to touch upon.

I understand they added the you must be x buff before you can get electrocuted to safeguard accidental deaths but it's too safe now when you're intentionally trying to do it that it's annoying.
    Id like some randomness thrown in and id just be safe with low levels by making them train up. I.e. low skill cooking, looks like it's fruit salad and salad for few days while I level cooking.

A trait overall patch would be well appreciated.
    Maybe with updates to old packs as well as new ones for base game. Ie base game
    A aspiration and trait related to fashion for the stylist branch (bigger more what about active salon career? The chair is done, just need a sink you can wash heads on an an item to blower hair)
    Ie update to say city living
    Aspirations for each career in it
    To seasons add weather preference setting in cas
    I could list so many more but you get the drift.
    caitytrina.png
  • CaityTrinaCaityTrina Posts: 555 Member
    Though I have to say I'd disagree with a kid of 5 playing it perfectly unless they've been fully taught to read then. They'd also struggle to manage a lot of sims needs . I was constantly walking last my niece and nephews playing and their sims are all in the red
    caitytrina.png
  • ZikitheturtlZikitheturtl Posts: 35 Member
    I feel like it looks too cartoonish graphic wise. I much more prefer the sims 3. When the sims 4 was announced, I thought the graphics would be realisticly spectacular, but it has been a downgrade :confused:
  • EnjoyfulSimmerEnjoyfulSimmer Posts: 1,242 Member
    The sims 3 actually has worse graphics. The quality of the graphics is worse. Now the art style may or may not be your thing, I happen to like it very much. But the graphics are in no way worse than sims 3. Thats impossible, since the texures are better and everything is much more improved visually.
    "Let Our Hearts And Hands Be Streched Out In Compassion Toward Others."
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    Maybe you should try a Rags to Riches challenge.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited May 2019
    The sims 3 actually has worse graphics. The quality of the graphics is worse. Now the art style may or may not be your thing, I happen to like it very much. But the graphics are in no way worse than sims 3. Thats impossible, since the texures are better and everything is much more improved visually.

@EnjoyfulSimmer I disliked the graphics of the Sims 3 so much that it actually put me off the game altogether. It was my least played version of the sims by a mile and the only version I didn't bother buying packs for. I was so happy when the Sims 4 released with more cartoon style graphics again. I loved the cartoon style graphics in the Sims 2 and I love them even more in the Sims 4.
    @Sharonia I dont even see whats realistic about sims 3 graphics. It looks dated and has for a long time. It's also very shoddy texture wise. Not sure how anyone can glean realism from those lifeless doll eyed sims either.
  • ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    @EnjoyfulSimmer with the right cc skin, eyes, clothes, and hair, along with custom sliders, you can make Sims 3 Sims look pretty good. And I honestly feel Sims 3 lends itself to realistic style much more than Sims 4 (which is why I only use mm cc for Sims 4).

I don't recall a texture issue, maybe it was my PC, but the game looked really good for its time.

But, I will say, I do think Sims 3 looks very outdated to me now. I didn't feel that way just a year or so ago, but I started much preferring Sims 4 cartoony and mm cc (including cc skins, eyes, and details that I feel are a necessity for Sims 4 as well).

Once I embraced Sims 4 style, I just lost my interest in Sims 3 style, but I still think a lot of people have done some amazing things with Sims (Mikezumi, for instance.)
    p8L4V6v.png
  • WinkoOfficialWinkoOfficial Posts: 16 Member
    from what i remember with playing it, it's a bit complex, like the sims complain about their bed being too cheap and stuff like that. i dont remember that in the sims 3 at all. correct me if im wrong though.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    I had no problems with grapics in Sims 3 as I feel there is more to an game than how beautiful it looks, I look at game play and graphics and if graphics is not the best then the gameplay better be there and it was. Sims 4 for me is more about graphics than game play and it is not meant to push an system to its limits anyway so Sims 4 for me just do not work for me. I want to play the game and not look at just graphics. Even Sims 2 graphics was not the best but the gameplay was great and I loved it. Sims 4 is an watered down version for me and it shows.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
    A pretty good sim in sims 3 is still pretty bad imo @ChelleJo
  • N0NoTToN0NN0NoTToN0N Posts: 1,024 Member
    I sort of agree at times especially if you don't focus on family play. But try the 100 baby challenge when you have 7 children at a time with 2 sets of twins: one set toddlers and one babies. Your sim has no time for needs let alone making money. Lol
    Rags to riches challenges are way easier!
    19172275569_bb0181ed75.jpgGingerThyme; by T Reece, on Flickr
  • MindsimscreateMindsimscreate Posts: 414 Member
    I have to second everything you said. My current family consists of a female sim I found off the gallery, who married to her rich and famous husband, and now is living a life of luxury with their 3 children and cat... I mean it shouldn’t be that easy but smh
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top