Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Both career branches?

Is there a way to complete both branches of one career for one sim? I'm attempting the Super Sim challenge so I'd like to reach the top of every career.

Sorry if this has already been covered but I could only find a thread from 2014.

Comments

• WaitWhatYTWaitWhatYT Posts: 512 Member
    MCCC allows you to reset your career branch once you've picked one, so that you may pick the other branch. As far as I know, there's no way to do this without cheats or mods, and even some of those don't help (i.e. trying to demote sim with UI Cheats simply fires them, but keeps them on the chosen branch should they get their job back).
  • CorkysPetalsCorkysPetals Posts: 1,400 Member
    The game was designed to allow only one branch back in 2014 and never patched to allow both. MCCC is it.
  • HoboJoe235HoboJoe235 Posts: 2 New Member
    I hope they allow us to change branches or at least reset them after leaving the job as ive accidentally picked the wrong one in my wanna be mod and cheat free game
  • KirbySkywalkerKirbySkywalker Posts: 511 Member
    Can I make one world and complete one branch of every career, then save my sim to the gallery, load them in a brand new world and complete the second branch? Then save the sim again?

Would that leave me with a sim that has all career objects unlocked?
  • kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    edited June 2019
    @KirbySkywalker you can indeed do that. my 'main' household, the parents have done just that (but don't even have to do it in a brand new world, they'll just lose their relationships with everyone outside their household)

it wasn't a purposeful thing when i started it, but i wound up using it so both parents were able to learn the elusive snagglefuster drink while in the mixologist path of the culinary career
  • SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    I had my sim quit when he was at the max of his career in one branch and went back and he was allowed to choose the other branch. Its possible to do
    @selinakyles usually that's not supposed to happen, though. once a sim picks a career branch, the game typically locks them into that branch and even if they quit or get fired and reapply for the job, they'll start at the first level of the branch they picked instead of the first level of the career in general

that being said, my oracle sim (hacker path of the criminal career) got one of those 'gain fame, lose your job' popup options from get famous yesterday and i decided to use it to see how the story for it played out. when she lost her job she restarted at criminal 1 instead of oracle 1, so that caught me offguard
  • SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    Are you sure? Whenever my sim quit their job it says they won’t be able to start over where they left off. 🤔
    it's not where they left off (usually). but... we'll take the astronaut career as an example

levels 1-7 are the default astronaut path, it's when they're promoted to level 8 that they have to decide whether to be a space ranger or an interstellar smuggler

we'll say our sim picks 'interstellar smuggler', the first level there is 'moon mercenary', followed by 'alien goods trader' and finally the top level, 'interstellar smuggler' (i'm using this as an example because i was just on my interstellar smuggler household, which has sims in all three of those levels)

the sim at 'interstellar smuggler' level, level 10 quits his job, then rejoins the astronaut career. since he's already decided on the interstellar smuggler path and the game is supposed to remember that, he should (and usually does) start as 'moon mercenary'. ...except when he doesn't, and i don't get when, where, or how that's decided or not decided...
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,474 Member
    edited June 2019
    The only way I did it without mods was finish one branch and then get him to quit. And then move this household to a totally new save and then get him the same job. It will reset to him having to start from Level 1 but at least you are able to go to the other branch when it's time to choose again. This is how I've always been doing it.

Alternatively, if you don't want to start a new save, I think you could also save the household after the sim has quit the job. Then just delete this household (or just keep them there first, just in case) and place the one you just saved from the Library to your current save. I haven't tried this method yet but maybe it might work. My guess is saving the household to the Library and putting them back in will reset the job progress.
    My Top Song of the Day: Fancy Footwork by Chromeo
    FwDXXd5.gif