Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What's your Landscaping Style?

Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
I'm building a Spa on the 64 x 64 lot (Previously belonging to the Villareal Family) in Windenburg. This is only the second time I've built on such a large lot. I'm partial to smaller, residential lots and rarely build venues. It's almost finished, but I'm at a loss as to whether or not the outside needs more landscaping. For me personally, I don't think it needs much more other than maybe a few tall shrubs along the front.

However, I've noticed a lot of Simmers seem to enjoy filling up every nook and cranny when landscaping lots. It made me wonder about the preferred style of landscaping in the game. I also wonder if maybe I've just always used minimal landscaping in the past because of the underpowered old laptop I was using for the first four years.

Here's some outside shots of the venue. I didn't show the inside because that's not what this poll is about. What do you think? Does it need more landscaping? What's your style?

Front

9KtTAC0.png

Left

kCZdn5H.png

Back

w2aXpQH.png

Right

Kblk3Uz.png

This is my first time making a poll, so if I messed something up, I apologize!

Happy Simming! <3

EDIT: Realized I should've included and option for All of the Above (It varies depending on the Sim or Venue). I'm looking for your normal 'preferred' landscaping style on the majority of your builds, but If that's your choice please comment below with your answer. Thank You!
Post edited by Karababy52 on

What's your Landscaping Style? 112 votes

Maximum Landscaping (every square filled with something)
3%
SimpkinrobyngravesHopeyStarrAriaMad2 4 votes
Medium Landscaping (50% squares filled)
35%
bshag4lvJaline33GoldenBuffyPipersfun2JestTruzagboorulesLizzychicagoemluckysunshineSarahTheRedkeenowChelleJoduhboy2u2spice3jupkmnstephanie132392mannannaJendowoz0612sunspriterorangehippogriffEmmaVane 40 votes
Minimal Landscaping (25% squares filled)
33%
KelleygirlBloosmooMeteoraStormThunderbat87elanorbretoninvisiblgirlDJQ1308Workingmum8loubyloulouNinoosimSimplyJenashleeloveslloydtaydevCaityTrinajcp011c2AceOfKnavesBlueSeaWavesLissyK9SajahiElizabethMc 38 votes
Sparse Landscaping (Maybe one tree, flower by the front door, done!)
16%
verlainemGoth583SimburianStrangerthanLindsaySeddon1QueenMercyEnkiSchmidtmebagl15FanPhoriaGrumpyGlowfishthatsnotswegEvie0602LairaLaneBoy1995citysimmerGlacierSnowainsCelSimsAngeliqueAdelaide 19 votes
No Landscaping (Landscaping? Who has time for that?)
9%
GalacticGalPlayerSinger2010BluellesekojranaKirbySkywalkermintycupcakeJasonschick80SimAlexandrianerdfashionLuxuryMythicalBean 11 votes

Comments

• Options
    SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    I like lots and lots. I like cluttered homes and lots of landscape outside. I try to blend it in with the off the lot area though.
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • Options
    citysimmercitysimmer Posts: 5,950 Member
    edited May 2019
    I don't enjoy building all that much, so I don't think about landscaping very often.
    Proud black simmer 🖤
    MfVGMbL.jpg

• Options
    GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,345 Member
    edited May 2019
    I love doing the interiors of my builds, and will spend hours decorating rooms, but for some odd reason I rarely do much with the exteriors. There are a few exceptions, but often I don't even notice for a long time that I left the yard completely empty.

@Karababy52 In the case of the pictures you show, I think it looks beautiful the way it is. The minimal look goes well with the architecture style, and it also looks like it blends nicely with the surrounding landscape (outside the lot area) which also has a somewhat sparse vegetation look. I think putting in more would start to make it look out of place.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
  • Options
    sunspritersunspriter Posts: 125 Member
    I love lush gardens and lots of different areas. I voted medium but I suspect most people would thing I’m actually doing maximum. Sparse just looks unfinished to me. But it’s just my personality, there’s nothing minimal about me or what I enjoy lol
  • Options
    Thank you @GlacierSnow for that critique! That's what I was thinking too. I thought about filling it up with trees or something to give it a 'hidden' look, but to me it just looked too cluttered that way. Thanks to those who have voted so far too, I know I just posted this but the results are interesting, different than what I expected.
  • Options
    WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,105 Member
    Looks fine to me, though I may add some bushes or flowers to the front. Landscaping for me is something that builds up over time, but I like a lot of open space!
  • Options
    KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,883 Member
    I tend to not like clutter and "every square filled". When I'm building for Gallery upload, I put in just enough for it to not look completely empty, and plenty of space for people to add their own stuff. This goes for both interior and outside. I like lots of open space too :)

Your build looks lovely the way it is, with a modern, clean look. As others have said, maybe a few bushes or flowers at the front would add that lil bit extra. I'd go there for a spa-day myself :D
  • Options
    Goth583Goth583 Posts: 1,203 Member
    If landscape was something we had to maintain I might do more just for the challenge, but as it is now I prefer minimal landscaping. I'm into gardening so I like to use all my extra space for gardening.
    https://originalsimmer.blogspot.com - Check out my current TS4 Legacy!
  • Options
    AceOfKnavesAceOfKnaves Posts: 173 Member
    Never really saw the appeal of having a cluttered exterior and won't be any help in that regard, though I do like creating pathways and different angles by utilizing hedges and flowers. I hate squeezing by a bunch of plum spaced stuff just to get from point A to point B in RL, so it just bleeds over into the game, haha....

I think your lot is just fine without adding anything extra, in a way it allows the design to speak for itself. But if you must, maybe placing a medium sized shrub around the sides or a couple flower beds and stones around the pond. The seating area is nice and would be enough for me.
  • Options
    Thank you @WildIrishBanshee, the front does need something, I agree, and also you make a good point. Landscaping usually evolves over time for my Sims as well. Mostly because the majority of them start out with nothing, just a bare lot R2R style.

Once they earn some simoleons, I'll start building. They usually have a good size garden by then and I'll build them a greenhouse when they can afford it. I'll add some trees, flowers, perhaps window boxes, maybe a back patio/BBQ area, very rarely a pool and that's it. Since most of my Sims houses are one story on small lots, any more than that and it starts to look very crowded.

Using that mentality on bigger lots, like this venue, it would probably look very sparse so perhaps that's why I'm questioning whether I need more landscaping? So I don't know if I truly do need more landscaping to accommodate the bigger 'yard' because of my aforementioned playstyle holding me back or not. lol

Aw, Thank you @Kathykins for saying that! I can't wait to send my Sim there once it's finished. She has to make a few more tubs first to pay for the build though. lol I'm building this venue as part of the Shipwrecked Challenge by @Jendowoz0612 . As others have said along with you, I do think it needs some shrubs or flowers along the front. Next time I go in game I'll see what I can do about that.

@Goth583 99% of my Sims have gardens too. I love gardening in this game. Well, except for grafting now since it was borked.

@AceOfKnaves I think I'm a bit claustrophobic in that sense as well, I like a lot of open spaces to move around. Could be because I live in the country in real life too and we own a lot of land, more than half of which is a forested field with trails cut in it. Thanks for your suggestions, I'll try that out too!

Thanks for all the suggestions and comments so far everyone! <3
  • Options
    mebagl15mebagl15 Posts: 563 Member
    I usually don't take the time to landscape. It depends on what I'm building. If I'm doing it to play the game in the lot it's minimal. If I'm landscaping a lot that I'm just decorating thae I do. My problem seems to be with trees. They are so large that I feel that they are out of proportion to everything else in the game. I feel that they look clumsy.
  • Options
    SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    I like the looks of landscaping and if I download a house from the gallery that has it I will usually keep it, but I just like playing in build mode so I never add in any, and most the time I sell all the Landscaping features for money to help my Sim get by LOL
  • Options
    nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    I just can't get it to look right :|
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Options
    duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    I chose medium but the truth is that for me it depends on the build. Some builds feel like they need more landscaping ot me than others. I built one lot that is a riot of greenery and terrain editing and the home sort of hides somewhere in the middle of it all. I've a few that are completely not landscaped at all and are more concrete and/or stone and sparse. It just really really depends on the home.
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • Options
    SimChiSimChi Posts: 143 Member
    I vote 50%, but it's closer to 70ish%. I absolutely ADORE doing/having loads of landscaping. Also really love building. A lot of my sims 'play' time is spent doing landscaping/ lot building (or renovating)... I would love to have much huger lots (and more of them) to really go to town on what I want to do, but until that's an option...
  • Options
    CaityTrinaCaityTrina Posts: 555 Member
    My own personal landscaping is like 25%, but I like a bit more when downloading other builders. If the gardens top cluttered i delete some
    caitytrina.png
  • Options
    CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    I do very little landscaping, not because I don't want a big beautiful garden, i'm just hopeless it. I'm trying with my latest sim tho, even used terrain tools!
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    However it comes on the lots I download. I can't build to save my life. :D
  • Options
    MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,177 Member
    It really depends on what I'm building and where. I mean giving the old salt house in San Myshuno a full blooming garden looks kinda off if you ask me. Same for desert worlds, just some rocks and cacti are often sufficient. But when building a fancy mansion in Windenburg, I'd probably give it a lavish flower garden.
    In general I do enjoy landscaping my lots, but I want them to suit the environment.
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • Options
    HopeyStarrHopeyStarr Posts: 1,276 Member
    When I build I like to fill up the lot and landscaping is one of the few things I'm confident in when it comes to decorating and building.
    R5PO75w.gif?1
    *:.。."It's great being ((Queen Bee))!".。.:*
    ★・・・・・・★・・・・・・★・・・・・・★
    ✧ :-"As long as I continue to believe then one day my ((dreams)) really will come true."✧ :-
  • Options
    brenleedeebrenleedee Posts: 427 Member
    It really depends on the style of the build, for a more Modern build I usually landscape less for some reason(maybe minimalist) My preferred style of build would be a Country Style home(or Traditional, Suburban) on this type I tend to landscape more.
  • Options
    LindsaySeddon1LindsaySeddon1 Posts: 284 Member
    I voted sparse because I am terrible at landscaping :disappointed:
    I would love to be able to have decent gardens or natural looking landscaping.
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    A few flowers here and there, and that's it. Decorating has never been my forte, especially outdoors, which is why I prefer smaller lots for my builds like 30x20, so I don't have to worry too much about the outdoor area in the first place.
  • Options
    SimChiSimChi Posts: 143 Member
    > @LindsaySeddon1 said:
    > I voted sparse because I am terrible at landscaping :disappointed:
    > I would love to be able to have decent gardens or natural looking landscaping.

There's some great landscaping (and lots) available in the gallery that you can download. Or you could just look at pics for inspiration, and play around until you get good at it. It's like anything artistic/creative- just play around until you get the hang of it :)
  • Options
    thatsnotswegthatsnotsweg Posts: 697 Member
    edited May 2019
    I'm not very good at landscaping, so I never attempt anything too ambitious.
    gallery ID: thatsnotsweg

vYCrjvm.png