Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I wonder (new swatches)

I know many players (including influencers) have expressed their desire to have swatches where different parts of an item can be altered e.g. bed spread being changed seperately from the bed frame. Do you reckon this might be an ability coming with the 350 new swatches update? Probably wishful thinking but it would add so much variety!
I also think that they might introduce matching wood tones across many of the base game items since players won't be able to rely on future packs for matching furniture

Are there any ideas you have about which items might get new swatches or any ideas on how these swatches will work? Will it be one new swatch across 350 items? Will few select items get many new swatches?

I'm actually very excited for this update and can't wait for us to know more!

Comments

• cheescaekscheescaeks Posts: 902 Member
    would be nice to have separated beds
  • herdarkpassengerherdarkpassenger Posts: 105 Member
    I really hope they get the matching wood down. I did a build today and was dying over the mismatched wood. I didn't think about having differences in the bedding or things like changing the structure's color vs. the fabric or pattern. That would be really freaking cool.
  • BridgetKVBridgetKV Posts: 200 Member
    I'd just really love to go back to the sims 2 swatch system. I also have to agree with herdarkpassenger; so many of the side tables and bedstands don't match and it's very frustrating.
  • munroelemunroele Posts: 286 Member
    I'd love to see them do 20 set wood swatches, and use only those wood colours going forward, and change all the previous items to only have those colourways. That, and allowing you to alter both the wood and fabric on beds, chairs, couches and even the counters. Just again, 20 or so wood colours for the cabinets going forward, and seperate counter tops. It would make it SO much easier.
  • rinre33rinre33 Posts: 697 Member
    munroele wrote: »
    I'd love to see them do 20 set wood swatches, and use only those wood colours going forward, and change all the previous items to only have those colourways. That, and allowing you to alter both the wood and fabric on beds, chairs, couches and even the counters. Just again, 20 or so wood colours for the cabinets going forward, and seperate counter tops. It would make it SO much easier.

That would be ideal wouldn't it? 20 might be a bit ambitious but even if we had 5 matching swatches across these items I'd be happy.

Also I really want all doors and windows to match, I get so annoyed when I want to have specific windows but can't use them because they somehow never have the same browns or plain white/black.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited May 2019
    No, I don't think they have went back and made something that was not recolorable now colorable. That's a lot more work than just adding swatches to predetermined parts of an object or clothes that were recolorable from the beginning of their creation. It's double, triple work to do that. Example, of a shoe, toe tip was not recolorable, will it now be recolorable?...no. But heel was recolorable so yeah, a new color for a heel. See there, it would be way too much work to rework what isn't recolorable. New bedspread, maybe, but not a change to a bedframe if it was never recolorable before, unless that became a 24/7 passion project for someone.

Do I think a light pink skirt is now going to match (shades) of a pink top? No. But I think that top might come in yellow. See, there it's a big difference, and I'm not so sure anyone is going to be over the top with excitement when they see what I mean after the release of these recolors.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    Cinebar wrote: »
    No, I don't think they have went back and made something that was not recolorable now colorable. That's a lot more work than just adding swatches to predetermined parts of an object or clothes that were recolorable from the beginning of their creation. It's double, triple work to do that. Example, of a shoe, toe tip was not recolorable, will it now be recolorable?...no. But heel was recolorable so yeah, a new color for a heel. See there, it would be way too much work to rework what isn't recolorable. New bedspread, maybe, but not a change to a bedframe if it was never recolorable before, unless that became a 24/7 passion project for someone.

Do I think a light pink skirt is now going to match (shades) of a pink top? No. But I think that top might come in yellow. See, there it's a big difference, and I'm not so sure anyone is going to be over the top with excitement when they see what I mean after the release of these recolors.

I think with this update you are right in saying that we are likely to just get new recolours, but I think this alone opens up the possibility of more complicated swatch overhaul in the future

The devs need to introduce a way of allowing us more creative freedom beyond 5-10 swatch options, and while I'm not expecting a colour wheel a more advanced system would be welcome
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    edited May 2019
    I hope they do that, because the bed stuff not matching is really annoying.

And speaking of beds. I hope a lot of those new swatches are for the toddler beds. If we can't get new beds for them in the packs, I hope they'll at least give them a lot of new swatches with cute designs from this update. But I fully expect them to totally ignore the toddler objects so I won't even get my hopes up.
  • BrokenChaos69BrokenChaos69 Posts: 928 Member
    Everyone has been hoping it's matching wood swatches, and I have no idea why tbh. I never have an issue decorating, not everything has to be so matchy-matchy. Are your real life homes filled with nothing but the EXACT same wood colour?

Now bed swatches I can get on board with. Beds are extremely limited. Doors and windows as well. A lot of the base game stuff can be difficult to use.

Either way, I'm excited to see what they've done. :)
    Gallery ID: ChaosKitten666
    I hope my Sims and lots aren't too terrible!
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    I build empty houses to upload to the Gallery nowadays after Simmers complaining about missing toilet rolls etc. Now they can put in their own furniture!

Very little of my own furniture matches in real life, even several shades of white. I call it eclectic, ie: style, or taste from a broad and diverse range of sources. :)
    edited May 2019
    Everyone has been hoping it's matching wood swatches, and I have no idea why tbh. I never have an issue decorating, not everything has to be so matchy-matchy. Are your real life homes filled with nothing but the EXACT same wood colour?

Now bed swatches I can get on board with. Beds are extremely limited. Doors and windows as well. A lot of the base game stuff can be difficult to use.

It sort of matters down at the furniture store when you walk into the show rooms. The coffee table, end tables and the couch wood all match. It looks odd indeed to have a pine (blond) colored end table with a mahogany coffee table. :p
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • BrokenChaos69BrokenChaos69 Posts: 928 Member

It sort of matters down at the furniture store when you walk into the show rooms. The coffee table, end tables and the couch wood all match. It looks odd indeed to have a pine (blond) colored end table with a mahogany coffee table. :p

Of course you wouldn't put drastically different colours of wood together, but if you have a range of dark woods and they don't match exactly you're bound to find some that still look good together. Not everybody buys an entire living room set of perfectly matching everything.
    Gallery ID: ChaosKitten666
    I hope my Sims and lots aren't too terrible!
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,703 Member

When it comes to wood finishes, match-y match-y floors and furniture look staid and flat.

https://www.apartmenttherapy.com/5-secrets-to-mixing-multiple-wood-finishes-208705
  • LyouflnLyoufln Posts: 10,861 Member
    I hope there's more options for bedding swatches. Windows, doors, and certain fences could use some new swatches too. Some of the doors only have a while colour swatch while a similar door has like 6-7 swatches. I hope those white doors can get new swatches with this update!
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    Bedding not attached to be bed would be fantastic. For example, I want all of the kids I play with to have the same bedframes but different bedding. This would add a lot of realism, and the ones that they have for the kid's beds are awful, especially when you don't have Kids Room Stuff.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Bedding attached to bed frames was a huge mistake this is one worst things about not having a color wheel you are so limited like the bedding but not the frame color there is nothing you can do. The only other thing I hate as much as this is beards being in the same category as stubble they really hate giving us options.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • cheescaekscheescaeks Posts: 902 Member
    they really should separate beds and bed frames, the meshes are already there and modders have done it. all they have to do is actually DO it and make the UI for "beds already put together" or separate beds in a small little icon. like its DOABLE they just have to put the money and resources on it which like, shouldn't be much. only the UI would have to be made from scratch
  • jooxisjooxis Posts: 515 Member
    Separating the bedding and bed frames would be amazing.

When it comes to wood finishes, match-y match-y floors and furniture look staid and flat.

https://www.apartmenttherapy.com/5-secrets-to-mixing-multiple-wood-finishes-208705

Those pictures are interesting. The first one reminds me of my own house with all mismatched end tables and side tables, lol. Sometimes, I just want two end tables that match a coffee table. And not have to put a side table of a different grain and shape next to my love seat. But alas, I a whimsical type decorater in real life and can't pass up an odd ball, interesting side table. lol
  • SimskristaSimskrista Posts: 175 Member
    Separating woods from fabrics on furniture would be a total game changer and give us so many more options for making unique builds. With it just being base game items though it wouldn’t help with the furniture I use most.
  • 3KNPen3KNPen Posts: 2,825 Member
    edited May 2019
    I just want them to add more hair color swatches or at the very least to add the unnatural hair color swatches to toddlers & kids. I could eliminate about 90% of my CC need by them doing just that alone...

Other then that the only swatches I really need is a True White swatch on everything or at least doors and windows.
    ~ ~ ~
    3KNPen wrote: »
    I just want them to add more hair color swatches or at the very least to add the unnatural hair color swatches to toddlers & kids. I could eliminate about 90% of my CC need by them doing just that alone...

Other then that the only swatches I really need is a True White swatch on everything or at least doors and windows.

I was under the impression that the swatches were for build and buy only, but I would cry tears of joy is more hair colours were added
  • PlumbeebPlumbeeb Posts: 619 Member
    > @munroele said:
    > I'd love to see them do 20 set wood swatches, and use only those wood colours going forward, and change all the previous items to only have those colourways. That, and allowing you to alter both the wood and fabric on beds, chairs, couches and even the counters. Just again, 20 or so wood colours for the cabinets going forward, and separate counter tops. It would make it SO much easier.

This would be amazing! If they did this, I might actually get use out of some furniture that I've never used before.
    Sims 4 Wish List:
    • > Option to toggle on/off random townie generation.
    • > Turn vacation worlds into residential worlds.
    • > Option to purchase separate worlds or a world pack.
    • > Sleepwear kit.
    • > Atomic age kit.
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    I hope we get new hair colors
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,867 Member
    I'd like that too, especially more blonde tones (the darkest one is a bit weird).
    I hope we get new hair colors