Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Question about splicing since the gardening patch

So, I know that since the update, getting things from spliced plants is a lot rarer (like...so rare, it's basically not worth the effort lol), but I was wondering if anyone had any idea whether it's better to harvest what you have, or wait? I have a lily/snapdragon/orchid spliced plant, but no matter what I do (fertilize, talk to it every day) all it ever has is 3 snapdragons and 1 lily. And basically I'm wondering if it's better to wait it out and hope for an orchid, or harvest what's there? Does harvesting reset it so it'll take longer to get an orchid? Or is that all I'm going to get until I harvest what's there? Or does it matter? Has anyone investigated this at all or have any idea? Cause it's been, like, an entire sim year and I've still just got those 3 snapdragons and a lily lol.

Comments

• LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    edited May 2019
    I have read several posts dealing with this, and they all said what you have mentioned. I have a garden that I had been working on for a very long time, so long that all my plants have reached perfection. I have since moved them inside a greenhouse after Seasons was added. With that said, my Orchid plant only produces 2 flowers. I have since given up on splicing since seasons because they don't produce the spliced combination, at least in my game they haven't.

Do you have any bees in your sim's garden? The reason I ask is that they do help with pollination.
  • JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    edited May 2019
    It doesn't matter how many times you harvest the yeild on rare and uncommon plants it like 1 out of 600. So it's just super challenging to get since the new update. I have yet to get the Bird of Paradise and Orchid to grow on my spliced plants but I did finally get Pomegranate, but it took like half my sim life to get it and I was playing on long.

This is from Carl's Sims 4 guide in regards to the update and grafting:
    "It is important to note that rares and uncommons now have a small chance of spawning when you've done the correct grafting combo. This is currently an intended design and not a bug. For any given harvestable you have a 500 weight for common, 100 for uncommon, and 1 for rare. This means 1 out of every 600 harvestables will be a rare".

I think it is ridiculous. You might have better luck getting them through rare fishing spots. Other simmers have said that the best place to fish for them is at Magnolia Promenade. I haven't tried it but I'm about to bcuz I'm tired of waiting for them to spawn on the plant.

Also I got a tomato, onion, and grow fruit from buying them in Granite Falls. I have been waiting and visiting the locations where these are at to no avail they're just not growing in world no matter the season. I even spent a couple nights in forgotten hallow talking and looking at the plasma tree and still has yet to wield any fruit. At this rate I feel my sim family won't complete the gardening collections before they die or without cheating.
    WbUrFQm.png
  • micheleimichelei Posts: 422 Member
    I love the gardening update but I am not a fan of the changes to the spliced plants. I wish they would change this back to the way it worked before.
  • brenleedeebrenleedee Posts: 427 Member
    I've had an Orchid grow from splicing, but it did take a very long time. I then of course planted the one orchard I got, and it only yields two orchards per plant...they sell for quite a bit of money I think two are about 1200 dollars(and I think mine are perfect) on other games of mine Patchy has left me seeds when I talk to him and ask and I've had an orchard in there, also when your gardening skills get to 10 you can buy the rare seed backs and I've had an orchard in there.
  • FanPhoriaFanPhoria Posts: 1,655 Member
    Okay, thanks guys, gtk. I guess I'll give up on it completely, and maybe just go fishing or buy a bunch of rare and uncommon seed packets (I'm not wanting for money at the moment, I just want orchids for aesthetic reasons). If those are really the ratios @leetamme , I agree completely that they're ridiculous--sims lives just aren't that long! Does anyone know if there's a mod that makes it more reasonable? I don't need or want it to be super easy--if I could choose, I'd probably put it as 50-75% common, 20-25%for uncommon, and 1-10% percent for rare. 1 in every 600 is only a .16% chance --that's not sixteen percent, that's point sixteen percent, which is less than a fifth of one percent jfc--which, just...yikes :o

And, yes, I do have bees @LaBlue0314, thanks for asking. Maybe it's helping, but with numbers that low, unless the bee buff is huge I doubt it's making much difference XD
  • QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    leetamme wrote: »
    It doesn't matter how many times you harvest the yeild on rare and uncommon plants it like 1 out of 600. So it's just super challenging to get since the new update. I have yet to get the Bird of Paradise and Orchid to grow on my spliced plants but I did finally get Pomegranate, but it took like half my sim life to get it and I was playing on long.

"It is important to note that rares and uncommons now have a small chance of spawning when you've done the correct grafting combo. This is currently an intended design and not a bug. For any given harvestable you have a 500 weight for common, 100 for uncommon, and 1 for rare. This means 1 out of every 600 harvestables will be a rare".

I think it is ridiculous. You might have better luck getting them through rare fishing spots. Other simmers have said that the best place to fish for them is at Magnolia Promenade. I haven't tried it but I'm about to bcuz I'm tired of waiting for them to spawn on the plant.

Also I got a tomato, onion, and grow fruit from buying them in Granite Falls. I have been waiting and visiting the locations where these are at to no avail they're just not growing in world no matter the season. I even spent a couple nights in forgotten hallow talking and looking at the plasma tree and still has yet to wield any fruit. At this rate I feel my sim family won't complete the gardening collections before they die or without cheating.

The guy who runs that site also made a mod to change that, if you’re okay with mods.
  • FanPhoriaFanPhoria Posts: 1,655 Member
    QueenMercy wrote: »
    leetamme wrote: »

The guy who runs that site also made a mod to change that, if you’re okay with mods.

I would be! Do you know what numbers he changed it to? Do you have a link?
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    I had no luck with getting a perfect cow berry from a dragonfruit grafted to snapdragon - more than an entire year in, I got one dragonfruit and then nothing but snapdragons. Finally, I tried the opposite, splicing snapdragon to dragonfruit, and got both dragonfruit and several cow berries. So, you might try splicing the opposite way, or splice another plant? It shouldn't matter which way you go, but there was clearly something not right with my first try. At very least, it should have been producing both snapdragons and dragonfruit.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited May 2019
    He changed it to even amounts of all things the plant can spawn.

https://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/mods/
  • CaityTrinaCaityTrina Posts: 555 Member
    They should change the gardening aspiration yo reward you with rarer plant spawn increased
    caitytrina.png
  • JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    Thank you @QueenMercy and @EmmaVane I didn't know he had a mod and I'm glad he does. I'm not opposed to mods but right now I'm not currently using them. Hoping for more to come to the game before putting mods in.
    WbUrFQm.png
  • Livin in SimLivin in Sim Posts: 1,145 Member
    For those who are reluctant to use mods, and you have Seasons, I would recommend getting Patchy if you're trying for a Rare without cheating. Just check his pockets for seeds as often as you can. I think you find them there with more frequency than they actually spawn on grafted plants.
  • LyouflnLyoufln Posts: 10,861 Member
    I thought this was a glitch. I guess it's not! I don't splice plants very often, but I've never gotten a rare harvestable from it. The collectible information/notepad implies that you'll get a rare fruit/vegetable/flower just about every time. Changing that text to make it clear a rare harvestable isn't guaranteed (or at least that it's unlikely) would be really helpful.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    More reasons I'm glad I don't have seasons. For those of you looking for plasma fruit trees, there are two of them. One is behind Vlad's house (which takes ages to even come up), and there is another near the fishing spot closest to the rocks. I've gotten fruit from that one before Vlad's is even at the tree stage.
  • suzanna13suzanna13 Posts: 1,426 Member
    Seasons didn't mess up my gardening. The patch before it did. Gardening and searching for the plants used to be fun for me. I have given up on the gardening aspiration, I just have my sims garden for fun if they like the outdoors. I will have to try fishing in more spots to see how that goes.