Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How needed are mods for TS4 compared to other sims 4 games?/Your Favorite Mods (2019)

HopefulSadnesHopefulSadnes Posts: 80 Member
I personally hadn't started using mods until this edition but you all have probably had a different experience

How needed are mods for TS4 compared to other sims 4 games? And Why if you want

Comments

• TrashmagicTrashmagic Posts: 977 Member
    Well I personally have used mods/cc for every single game and I wouldn't play without them. I guess that could mean I need them but I like to think of them as enhancements and modifications to further my enjoyment of the game.

I do however think Sims 4 takes the cake for "stop doing that annoying thing" mods or "fix this bug" mods.
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    edited May 2019
    That really quite heavily depends on what you're looking to get out of the game. If we're talking performance-wise I don't think the game is quite to the point where it's literally unplayable without mods. We're getting there though : )

I wouldn't even try to play TS2 without mods, for example, given all the many different ways the game gets corrupted
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • whimreaperwhimreaper Posts: 361 Member
    It really depends on your play style. I don't use mods because, no matter how easy or interesting they make the game at first, I always run into issues with them. Unless you really want to cheat things into the game that can't be achieved without mods, I think it is definitely reasonable to live without them. The bugs that are present usually aren't so bad that the game is unplayable without a fix. Obviously, what works for you is always best, but I personally find them to get overwhelming.
  • metalfenix_Rafmetalfenix_Raf Posts: 536 Member
    I've been using mods and CC on every sim iteration I played since sims 1
    Want to see my sims? find me in the Gallery by my Origin ID: metalfenix_Raf

Want to see the Custom Content CAS Pieces I created? Check ModTheSims, Sims 4 Studio Forums
  • WaitWhatYTWaitWhatYT Posts: 512 Member
    Trashmagic wrote: »
    Well I personally have used mods/cc for every single game and I wouldn't play without them. I guess that could mean I need them but I like to think of them as enhancements and modifications to further my enjoyment of the game.

I do however think Sims 4 takes the cake for "stop doing that annoying thing" mods or "fix this bug" mods.

Bolded for emphasis because, truuue. "No more hissing vampires in CAS" mod, "no 'that's inappropriate'" mod, "reduced townie generating" mod, "disabled event outfits" mod "removed 'nicely decorated' moodlet" mod. There is no end to the list of Sims 4 things that are annoying enough to inspire new mods to fix them.
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    edited May 2019
    Because there are so many things lacking and bugs left unfixed for so long, and some mods can eliminate most of the problems, currently there is annoying bug that sim get debuff from the trait he/she doesnt own and littlemssam has the mod that fixed it. So I would say it is highly needed in sims 4 to install for those who have the problems and are not opposed to the mod.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    edited May 2019
    I hadn't used mods until Sims 3, and some Sims 4 mods I feel are vital, but vital for my gameplay, not necessarily for the game.

I do have an entire folder in my mods folder titled "BugFix", so those I feel are required.

I do play vanilla after a patch, and I'm always more than ready to go back to my nodded folder (which usually consists of more mods than I started with cause I find all kinds of new ones I want when I'm updating).

For me, mods are necessary.
    p8L4V6v.png
  • BusufuBusufu Posts: 1,966 Member
    edited May 2019
    In Sims 2 I had 2 mods (no mosaic and no friends needed for career). In Sims 4 I get along pretty well without mods.
    For me mods are not necessary.
    Sul Sul!
    On my blog (German) you'll find two completed vampire stories 🦇 and an ongoing ghost story 👻.
    I'm also posting about my I'm surrounded by idi🤪ts! - challenge, in which I've now reached gen 9.
    Thanks for stopping by! 👋
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    I have MCCC for housekeeping, and as a bonus I learned it lets pregnant sims age, which prevents the issue where the age gap between two parents widens

Also, I love the meaningful stories mod. Roburky, its creator, advertised it on reddit and I decided to try it out. It stabilizes your sim's emotions and makes their emotions more meaningful. This is how emotions should've been done
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    I've used lots of mods and an incredible amount of cc in 1, 2 and 3. I've played 4 vanilla for about 5 years. Last month Ive decided to try some mods for 4. I've installed 7 mods, one of them being Mccc. I've had bugs during this time more than I had for the entire 5 years of the game. I've ended uninstalling them one by one and only kept Mccc, that actually seems to make my game flow much better. I use this mod for a lot of things, like setting the percentage of children, teens, adults and elders that are generated (always thought that there were too many elders and few children and teens), for story progression (seeing all npcs actually having a life, having kids, getting married, breaking up, filling the houses in all neighborhoods...)... By now I think I could play vanilla again (did it before, had fun and never had big issues) but it wouldn't be the same...
  • HeyItsKoffeeHeyItsKoffee Posts: 99 Member
    I used mods in TS2, only used nraas in TS3.

But the The Sims 4 is another story, the game felt very bare and unfinished, it's definitely getting better as the updates roll in though!. When TS4 first released i actually hated it and went back to my old sims games. Once the first expansion rolled in, i enjoyed that for a little bit but i needed more content so i just went back and forth until finally TS4 hit a sweet spot and i completely switched over. Mods really improve the game while it is still unfinished.
    Youtube @ ItsKoffeeh

Legacy Challenge
  • Goth583Goth583 Posts: 1,203 Member
    TS1 I played vanilla because I don't even know if there were mods out there for it. TS2 I used mods (and CC) toward the last years. TS3 was completely vanilla and I never felt the need to add anything. TS4 I started playing with mods probably in year two because I couldn't stand playing the game vanilla. I found it too boring and I really didn't like that NPCs didn't have lives and children of their own. TS3 for me felt like the most complete iteration of the game, and TS4 is like a revamped TS1, but when TS1 came out the expectation for a game was very different.
    https://originalsimmer.blogspot.com - Check out my current TS4 Legacy!
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited May 2019
    I mostly try to keep my mods to a minimum and only download for things that I see more as fixes for bad designed AI.
  • FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    I had been introduced to Mods much later in The sims 2 game. I remember I could not get mods to work somehow and then it hit me. I NEEDED them, cause once I saw what these mods contained of, I felt I was loosing a lot by just playing with EA's content. But the game was fine without. It was more a 'hungry eyes' thing.

In The sims 3, the game was kinda boring from scratch and the sims were too clay looking. I usually try to play without mods at first for many reasons, but at some point it just became unbearable. I started downloading after some months. Especially skins etc. for a proper look of the sims. They were just terrible!

In the sims 4, i tried again without mods. But honestly, no any mod could fix the lacking content and features of the sims 4. It was a core problem which I still struggle with. It took years before I could actually enjoy the Sims 4 which is a shame. I didn't see much use in downloading CC if I didn't like the game itself. It was like covering crap with glitters.
    I don't remember how much later I started downloading mods. MC command is one i can not live without! This made up for a lot of lacking features and core problems. Since two years I make my own content as well.

I wish I never had to download mods, nut only just CC for entertainment. That is really proof for me that a game is just bad.
  • DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    To compare them, I don’t think I’d really be able to do. I wasn’t able to play TS3 without mods and I don’t think I’d be able to play TS4 without mods now.
    For me, it isn’t that the gameplay itself is that bad, to the point that I need mods to make it playable, but more-so for the fact that I am a very controlling player. A lot of my must-have mods relate to having as much control over the game as I possibly can.
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    I played the orginal Sims 1 iteration for 15 years without mods or cc. With the Sims 4, I found I needed mods about 6 months after purchase to fix certain issues, glitches, and bugs in the game. I have dabbled in mods and cc ever since.
  • JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    I don't think Mods are necessary but I have played with them since Sims 2. In Sims 2 and 3 I used mostly cosmetic mods; skin, hair, makeup, etc. In Sims 3 I also used some mods that would unlock objects that we couldn't get using buydebug cheat like the food truck. In Sims 4 the only mod I have used is the MCCC mod. I think this is a very good mod that enhances the gameplay for story progression. However I am not using any mods currently and typically don't use them for for Sims 4.
    WbUrFQm.png
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,805 Member
    edited May 2019
    I use two mods for Sims 4. UI Cheats which I use to cheat motives when my sims are too busy to eat and sleep, and True Happiness.

In Sims 3 I use Twallan's Error Trap, Master Controller, Register, and Relativity.

In Sims 2 I have around 200 no autonomous mods for behavior that is cute or funny the first few times but becomes increasingly annoying. Like toddlers in the toilet, throwing shopping bags, dancing on toes, kicky bag, bird-watching, school cheer, etc.
  • duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    If comparing it to previous games, I'd say its way better for not needing mods to play. I keep remembering Sims 3 (Which I love, by the way) and the time (a large amount of time) you almost had to install the NRAAS mods or other creator's mods just to get the game to stop lagging, freezing and hanging long enough to play it. Sims 4 has annoying things I want to mod in or out, quality of 'life' changes... but it doesn't feel like they are needed. I just want them.
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    I've been using mods since The Sims, as well as cc. But with this version of the game I really need mods. especially specific ones because they add to, or add to the game what is severely lacking for me. The mods help make the game more enjoyable and complete for me.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    Mods are used all across ech sims games for people that like to use them. The original sims game was next to impossible to play for a long period of time without my sims needs tanking so fast and considering the werent any cheats in that game to help them with needs.... yeah. I needed a mod to help with that.

Didnt use much of any mods in 2 at all other than some CC. 3 definitely needed mods for various fixes. 4? Have a few mods Mccc being the main one with a few smaller mods for fixes (mostly things like the situation changes and smaller mosiac)

Some mods are an indefinite to fix some bugs while others are more of a personal want of enjoyment. :)
    5vJrxmT.png
  • So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    edited May 2019
    IMO the closest thing to an “essential” mod is MCCC, and even then it depends on your playstyle whether you need it.

Other than that it comes down to what extra content/features/QOL improvements you feel the game needs, if any at all.
  • CaityTrinaCaityTrina Posts: 555 Member
    I didn't use the internet to know about mods as a child when I played ts1 (I didn't even know cheats existed)
    I mainly played ts2 on console so I couldn't use mods.
    With the sims 3 I had some cc and mods for store content (mechanic added, different styles object)
    For the sims 4 if I'm using mods my must haves are
    1. Mcc command by deaderpool (tumblr)
    2. Social activities by Little Ms Sam (tumblr)
    3. Homework overhaul by Scarletqueenkat (mts)
    4. Don't prep where you poop by Scumbumbo (mts)
    5. More columns in CAS by Weerbesu (mts)

I also have SimCity loans but I would not say it's a must for me. I would like SNBank once inheritance is added.

I could play without mods just fine, did so for the first 4 years before as I didn't have the patience to learn mcc. But these just make my style of play easier.

The only CC i have are wedding dresses and hairs, as I play rotationally all my wedding photos started looking so same. I use the sims 4 studio to batch fix all cc so nothing is allowed for random, and delete wedding outfits after the wedding.

Oh and I use a Moschino override that makes the English test simlish
    caitytrina.png
  • peanutsinspacepeanutsinspace Posts: 24 Member
    I definitely use mods but I only have a few, the main being MCCC. I think it really enhances gameplay and if I could only keep one of my mods, that would be it.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    In TS1 & 2 did CC for walls, floors, clothes as I like to do medieval and Victorian, and the gaame is light in those areas. TS 4 much the same, though beginning to use mods to deal with the glitches &c. the devs consistently ignore.