Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you prefer Alpha or Maxis Match CC? (Or a combo)?

Comments

• fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    Alpha
    I honestly don't see alpha as standing out too badly. In this pic, the shower, towel bar and her long johns are cc.

r9u3GqS.png

I get there is some clothes ( and hairs) that look just awful, but there's a lot that work well together. And I notice as the game goes, that even game objects are getting better and more detailed.
  • SimmerUnikornSimmerUnikorn Posts: 80 Member
    A Combination of Both
    Even though i put a combination of both i am mainly maxis match and only have alpha as the meshes for clayified hairs which are kinda mm so definitely more maxis match than not.
    -Simmer Unikorn
  • happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    Maxis Match
    fullspiral wrote: »
    I honestly don't see alpha as standing out too badly. In this pic, the shower, towel bar and her long johns are cc.
    r9u3GqS.png
    These are recolors of maxis meshes with textures staying within the aesthetic range of the game, that's not alpha cc, that's the very definition of maxis match.

An alpha cc bathroom would be something like this
    tumblr_piw78xSDsc1wgmmcho1_500.jpg
  • RuinaRuina Posts: 20 Member
    Maxis Match
    Maxis match for hair and clothing. For the items, anything goes.
  • klestrellaklestrella Posts: 440 Member
    Maxis Match
    I love Maxis Match CC. Alpha CC can be very impressive if made correctly, but I feel that the realism of it clashes with the aesthetic of the game. At least when I dabbled in Alpha CC, it seemed like I had to download a lot of pieces to make one cohesive look. Whereas with MM CC, just installing a handful of it expands my options without overtly standing out amongst Maxis-created assets.
  • NetzspannungNetzspannung Posts: 2,456 Member
    edited December 2018
    Maxis Match
    I have MM hairstyles, clothes (mostly recolors) and a bit of make-up. The only Alpha CC I have in my game are 3 lipsticks for Sims with darker skin tones. Before the August patch of this year there were just too few choices. I think that Alpha CC can look good in Sim modelling shots, but I would not be able to deal with the aesthetic in game.
    That's just my opinion though.
    Post edited by Netzspannung on
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required
    Twitter: NetzspannungTS

we all try ...
  • AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    I Don't Use CC
    I don't use CC at all but if I had to choose I would 100% use Maxis Match only.

Alpha CC looks hideous to me. It clashes with the game's aesthetics and generally looks tacky. I can't stand those fake eyelashes for example. And those "realistic" hairstyles give me TS3 vibes (TS3 sims looked horrible and ugly in my opinion). Alpha CC for furniture makes the game look like one of those housing projects where they show you how the appartments will look when they are finished.

I understand nevertheless why some people would use them since this is all very subjective.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,207 Member
    Maxis Match
    As other have said, Alpha doesn't really fit in with the rest of the game's aesthetics, it's a little like trying to insert CGI into an otherwise hand-drawn cartoon, and much of it looks... fake, for lack of a better word, so it's Maxis Match for me as well. Most of my cc is for CAS (clothes and hair), and while I do have some Alpha items there, I only fall back on them reluctantly when I can't find a fitting original or Maxis Match item for what I have in mind.
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    Maxis Match
    I use strictly maxis match. I find alpha looks untasteful and too out of place. I use very little to just spice up my game, like less than 100 spanning all categories.
  • Octavie88Octavie88 Posts: 140 Member
    Maxis Match
    I use alpha makeup and eyelashes but otherwise strictly use maxis match. Not because I like it necessarily. But because alpha cc doesn't fit the game's style. And when you have townies generating with alpha hair wearing maxis clothes it just looks wrong. It's a good thing I don't care about realism, the clean vibrant style of the sims 4 is great.
  • SimpatsyannSimpatsyann Posts: 1,307 Member
    Maxis Match
    I use MM for hair; I think the in-game hairs are getting better and better and the cc available based on a lot of them work really well. For clothing and items, I probably have a mix because I don't really differentiate between them, I just download whatever I like at the time or whatever fits what I'm trying to do. (And then I use the same 10% of it over and over and ignore the rest, hehe.)
  • Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    I Don't Use CC
    I dont use cc often, but when I do maxis match.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    Maxis Match
    While I think there are some lovely items and some very creative and talented alpha cc creators out there, I prefer maxis match. It plays well with in game content (Detective career, I'm looking at you) where as some alpha stuff (mainly hair and clothing) can cause identification issues with certain game content (sigh, Detective Career). Also, because of the clean, cartoony, and vibrant design style of the game, I just feel like maxis match cc is a better fit for my personal choice.
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • silver_songbirdsilver_songbird Posts: 305 Member
    edited December 2018
    A Combination of Both
    I do tend to use a mix, but its usually maxis match. a lot of the clothes don't seem too bad, which is probably most of my cas tbh :D I don't download buildmode items however so I can't comment on those. hair is a no from me as I'm too lazy to redo every sim with alpha hair lol. skins I do like though, makes them look nicer and less playdough. I think its a nice mix. my makeup is probably alpha too but I honestly download whatever is prettiest.
  • digitaltrashcandigitaltrashcan Posts: 30 Member
    A Combination of Both
    combo, but i lean more towards maxis match these days. i feel like a lot of alpha cc looks weird against the squidgy aesthetic of ts4. they always have glossy af textures and the world is more matte. with hair i only use pure 100% maxis match, i'm more lenient with clothes tho bc they're not as jarring. just can't deal with those overly-shiny alpha hairs lmao.
  • Nekomata19Nekomata19 Posts: 105 Member
    A Combination of Both
    Mostly I used Maxis Match, but with more alpha makeup and the occasional clothes (like jeans) or one or two hairs/skin overlays. But only if their pretty close to MM anyway. I do prefer the cartoon look so it matches the rest of the game. Alpha things always seem, idk, too flat or stiff? If that makes sense? It's probably my graphics card or something, but the Alpha hairs are always weirdly see-through near the top of the hair. Basically if it blends in and doesn't look too out of place, I don't particularly care if it's MM or Alpha.
  • CountryBoyILuvUCountryBoyILuvU Posts: 1 New Member
    A Combination of Both
    Lol, well I have a mix of Maxis Match sims and Alpha sims roaming around in my game, so I would say I love a combination.
  • AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    Maxis Match
    For me I like Maxis Match hairs, Alpha makeup, and both types of clothing.

I don't like any "replacement" things (eyes, skin overlays, etc). To me it makes sims look too different from how they're supposed to look and I don't like that

I’m the complete opposite. I absolutely hate the Sims default skins.
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• SweaterKatSweaterKat Posts: 36 Member
    Alpha
    I really enjoy the Alpha content out there as there are so many gorgeous pieces and talented creators but whenever I try to use it I always end up getting rid of it. It just bothers me too much when my sims and the townies look so different. The only way I think I would be able to use alpha cc regularly is if I took the time to remake every sim in my save and even then it would be a never ending process lol
  • SweaterKatSweaterKat Posts: 36 Member
    Alpha
    Also I meant to click MM lol
  • WaitWhatYTWaitWhatYT Posts: 512 Member
    edited May 2019
    Maxis Match
    MM, though it's partially laziness on my part. If I download a couple of Alpha things then I need to download a lot of Alpha so that I can make everyone Alpha and they aren't mismatched because it WILL upset me if two sims standing next to each other look like they belong in different games, and I just don't have the time for all that.

I do use Alpha eyelashes though because the default Maxis Lashes... 🤢
    Post edited by WaitWhatYT on
  • CaityTrinaCaityTrina Posts: 555 Member
    Maxis Match
    Maxis Match. There are some maxis mix alpha wedding dresses I used but I downloaded a haul of alpha ones and didn't like the look in game.
    caitytrina.png
  • EchovaEchova Posts: 144 Member
    Maxis Match
    I find alpha CC sticks out like a sore thumb in The Sims 4. So I prefer to match it with the style. I’ll use MM skin and eyes, too. However I did use a LOT of alpha CC for The Sims 3 as it fits better with that iteration.

Mixing MM and alpha just doesn’t look that great to me imo. Alpha hairs typically look sleek and flowy and it just ends up looking weird when everything is so saturated and cartoonish. Makes the alpha CC look stiff and out of place.
  • DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    Maxis Match
    I don’t use CC when it comes to hair/clothing/build/buy anymore, but when I did, it was Maxis Match all the way. When I first got into it, I loved any type, especially Alpha. But that style grew old for me very quick, since it just doesn’t fit in with the style of the game.
  • TOLKIENTOLKIEN Posts: 1,594 Member
    Maxis Match
    I really like MM for Sims 4, it fits the style and with a bit of tweaking I go for an anime look - for Alpha I play the Sims 3. With reshade and custom content the game looks near real with right settings/content. So to me they are like totally different games just based off looks.