Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims Pride: Celebrating LGBTQ+ Characters and Stories in Simlit (SIMS PRIDE IS ONLINE 6/29)

InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member

tumblr_p9nccaCrxG1qz8q0ho1_540.gif

“The love that dare not speak its name became the love that would not shut up.”
- Suzanna Danuta Walters, All the Rage (2001) (source)

Does LGBTQ+ representation in simlit matter to you? Do you write about LGBTQ+ characters or highly enjoy stories with them? Are you LGBTQ+ yourself or an ally? I agree with all that too.

The Sims has given us some tools for playing with and telling stories with LGBTQ+ sims from the start. Whether it was The Sims allowing same-sex romance when many games wouldn't at the time to The Sims 4 opening up options for trans and gender non-conforming sims, I've always felt comfortable with being able to play how I want to as a lesbian. Now and more than ever, many LGBTQ+ people can see themselves in a Sims game and of course, in simlit too.

But enough of that. I'm incredibly proud of the LGBTQ+ rep that simlit has and (IMO) always had in some way, and I want to celebrate it.

Goals
  • Revive Sims Pride. This was a fun celebration of LGBTQ+ sims that @mastressalita put on in 2016 and 2017, where she took submissions of sims from simmers like you and posted them on her blog. No lie, I loved her format and don't want it to change even with me at the helm. Submissions are open and I will be taking them until June 14th, 2019. If you don't get them in by then, fear not! Many places do pride celebrations in August instead and I would love an August encore. :)
  • Do a weekly or biweekly spotlight on LGBTQ+ stories. This includes full stories, generations of legacies with an LGBTQ+ heir, or even notable LGBTQ+ characters and plotlines in more ensemble-ish stories (though this might be harder to judge). I don't want to necessarily limit this to Pride Month(s) either depending on how many submissions I get. I'm accepting these but don't have a concrete end date yet.
  • Foster a fun and friendly space to be proud!

Want to submit for Sims Pride? You Need:
  • A picture of your sim(s)
  • A little blurb about their orientation/anything else that sounds fun
  • If they're part of a story, a link to that for publicity's sake ;)

Want to nominate a story or author? You Need:
  • A link to the story or a blog/forum thread of the author in question. If nominating a certain generation of a legacy or part of a story, link to that specifically for the sake of ease :)
  • A small blurb about the story and how it relates to LGBTQ+ characters/plots/themes/etc (granted I'll still try to read them myself too)

Where to contact me with submissions:

DM me here on the forums
Contact me via Twitter (@infragr33n), Discord (Trip#7997), Tumblr (tripstaysnoided), Reddit (u/R3dRuby), or email (the.legit.trip@gmail.com)

Want to help?

I'd love volunteers, especially if this takes off (dream big, son). If I get any, I'll set up a shared email so we can all take submissions and add you on WordPress (blog's still a work in progress sorry!)
A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
Post edited by InfraGreen on

Comments

• ForgottenPixelsForgottenPixels Posts: 11,376 Member
    I'll definitely stop by to see everyone's sims and maybe I'll submit some of my own. :)
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,751 Member
    @InfraGreen what if part of the story is at first the (Closet) gay man is cheating on his (then) legal wife with the Manny (Male nanny) they have for their twin daughters? (They closeted gay man does end up getting divorced from his wife and moving in with/marrying the former Manny.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • LyricSimsz15LyricSimsz15 Posts: 13,136 Member
    This looks awesome! :smiley:
    I might submit something myself, if i don't get too anxious to do so. :lol:
    pN7cZBV.gif
    Just vibing...
    Check out my stories The Diversity Club and Lost Pride here on the forums!
  • simscognitosimscognito Posts: 16,599 Member
  • InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    edited May 2019
    @MadameLee: he's gay, he counts. ;) My only rule is to ignore stuff that is blatantly offensive (if it exists at all in simlit?) Wyatt got to be his true self and get a decent ending. I'm proud of that lad.

(To any general "does this count" questions: ask if you want to but don't sweat it because I try to say yes to everything. Any orientation is on the table, it takes a lot to offend me, etc)

@simscognito @Bugsie2016 @LyricSimsz15 thank you!!

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,751 Member
    https://wwwswansonslegacy.blogspot.com/2019/04/51-mysterious-boy-dream.html
    the next chapter shows him with two adopted children with Cameron (the male nanny)
    https://wwwswansonslegacy.blogspot.com/2019/04/52-mysterious-boy-again-dreams.html (6 pictures down after my 2nd paragraph)
    6adMCGP.gif
    Countdown to June continues and it's a little scary! I've gotten a few messages but never think there's too many. ;) If you have a character, story, or author to nominate then contact me!

tumblr_prwrentuTR1wkuvbxo1_1280.png

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • CharliimaiCharliimai Posts: 1,773 Member
    edited May 2019
    I do have a partially written 10 part story with LGBTQ+ characters but don't think I will be ready to post for some time. Mainly due to not having the time to fire up the game to get the required screenshots. I don't want to rush/force it and produce something I'm not completely happy to share. Looking forward to seeing/reading the finished blog and submissions though. <3

It is absolutely amazing that you want to shine a spotlight on LGBTQ+ characters/plots/themes in simlit and build on what @mastressalita started. I look forward to seeing this grow and will be following, reading and supporting somewhere in the background (As RL stress kicks my butt and keeps me from participating). <3<3
    cSXsPD.jpg

Read my Legacy story's or atttempt one of my Sims 4 challenges.
    Charlii Mai's Blogs and Challenges

Read All of my Latest stories all in one place.
    RainbowPlumbob (Wordpress)

@Charliimai: unfinished stories are still 100% valid for this. Take the time you need! And I'm glad I'm not alone in missing her. :'(

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • CharliimaiCharliimai Posts: 1,773 Member
    @InfraGreen I do miss her I don't think I quite realised how much she did for our little corner of the forums until she was gone. The Simlit directory, Sims pride. She really did work hard to keep things update and everyone included.

As far as my story goes I have been sitting on it for almost 2 months now along with 4 other unpublished stories on my blog that have been wip's for around a year or so. :s I have 7 of 10 chapters of it written but no screenshots at all and don't foresee any chance at being able to get free time to set any up. Maybe I'll get it done in time for next year :D
    cSXsPD.jpg

Read my Legacy story's or atttempt one of my Sims 4 challenges.
    Charlii Mai's Blogs and Challenges

Read All of my Latest stories all in one place.
    RainbowPlumbob (Wordpress)

• VanPelt81VanPelt81 Posts: 2,990 Member
    @InfraGreen Submitted this couple for a casting call but they also work for this

Sim Household: Elvehjem
    Names: Bert Elvehjem, Ernie Elvehjem; Moonbeam Elvehjem
    Backstory: Bert & Ernie are polar opposites as far as a couple goes. Bert is straight laced & a military man where as Ernie is a anti-war hippie. In spite of this, somehow they made their relationship work to the point of being married and raising a toddler son together (though Bert still cringes at the fact that their son is named Moonbeam).
  • jessicalorelaijessicalorelai Posts: 11 New Member
    This is such a cool challenge. I've got quite a few same sex couples myself and I play with MCCC so that same-sex couples can have babies. Which can lead to a LOT of babies, fyi. LOL
    @VanPelt81: thanks! Knowing how fast @Skcaga6 writes I might even have a story link for them. :p

@jessicalorelai: I'm so happy that MCCC is letting you and your sims live your best lives!

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Skcaga6Skcaga6 Posts: 3,399 Member
    InfraGreen wrote: »
    @VanPelt81: thanks! Knowing how fast @Skcaga6 writes I might even have a story link for them. :p

They will be showing up in the early chapters of Generation 5. :)

My story is filled with LGBTQ characters. We have Diana and her wife in Generation 1 and 2. We have Owen and his two husbands in Generation 2-5. I try to keep at least one couple in every generation. What people have not seen in the story is that some of the cousins are also with same gender partners. :)

wotgen6.gif?w=656
    @Skcaga6 feel free to DM me with pics and stuff :) I loved Diana.

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • AshubiiAshubii Posts: 795 Member
    SOON

though you are always welcome to steal screens of my various Rose Garden couples <3
  • WaitWhatYTWaitWhatYT Posts: 512 Member
    Maybe this isn't the right place to ask, but does anyone else find that sometimes a sim just "turns out" LGBTQ+ without you making them that way? I've had tons of sims who I either figured I'd make straight or just not have in a relationship, but the plot just shifts somehow, usually when I just happen to think two sims look cute together.

Take my two sims Anya and Keisha for example. I made them each with specific storylines in mind and hadn't even considered the possibility of either of them being with another woman, and yet...

jTFdSFJ.jpg
    GQq2GTp.jpg

That's why I love making stories with my sims, things have a funny way of working out in ways you didn't see coming :)

9FyVtMs.jpg
  • Skcaga6Skcaga6 Posts: 3,399 Member
    InfraGreen wrote: »
    @Skcaga6 feel free to DM me with pics and stuff :) I loved Diana.

I will definitely send you some pictures of Diana and Paisley :)
    wotgen6.gif?w=656
  • citysimmercitysimmer Posts: 5,950 Member
    Can we submit more than one sim?
    Proud black simmer 🖤
    MfVGMbL.jpg

• EchovaEchova Posts: 144 Member
    It always warms my heart when I see a cute LGBT couple in simlit. Though, I find it awkward when it doesn’t make sense for the character and it comes off as forced, y’know? I don’t know how to explain it properly. I just know there’s a clear difference when the writing flows naturally and the relationship doesn’t feel like it just popped up out of nowhere. Otherwise like, if people are just writing an LGBT relationship just for the sake of writing one I don’t feel that connected to it. If they happen to be LGBT then that’s neat. But if that’s all there is to their relationship then it kind of falls flat to me. I dunno.

Tell me I’m not crazy lol
  • greenXengreenXen Posts: 1,227 Member
    edited June 2019
    I don't write full stories, but I create light-hearted characters and some of them are LGBTQ+, like the ones below. Do they count?

Edit: Images removed.

Post edited by greenXen on
    TeHejwN.png

I promise this is the only time I use my personal life for emotional leverage but it's been a rough week. :-\ THAT BEING SAID-

@Ashubii: as if I would ignore my own flesh and blood Dahlia? Never <3

@GGgkkg: I don't think I could do this without the Sims always having a way of producing a few gay sims every now and again. It's always been a part of the game and will never go away. Love your sims!

@citysimmer: sorry I'm late! There is no limit!!

@greenXen: aww I'm having a fangirl moment here, I've always loved your gallery families. I opened up submissions on Tumblr and got sims who weren't necessarily part of stories and honestly, it's just really cool to see other things people do. And writing gallery bios? It's writing ;)

outrun / blog / tunglr
    @InfraGreen I'm sorry you're having a rough week and my condolences.
    Also no worries. We'll be here when you're ready. :)
  • ForgottenPixelsForgottenPixels Posts: 11,376 Member
    edited June 2019
    Do I post my submissions here or do something else?

Edit: I'll just er, leave them here. Let me know if I should do anything else.

I wasn't going to submit any sims but I'm going to be brave and share them with the world. Here they are. Sorry if the Bios are terrible. Not sure what to include. They're all from one sim story, which was not intentional. Probably because right now I only have a few sims/characters who are confirmed to be LGBT+. (I have a few I'd love to submit but they're either not at that point in their story or don't exist in the story yet.)

Connor and Dani Modiek
    Dani and Connor Modiek.
    tumblr_psgdimQDde1xlu9nzo4_540.png

Connor and Dani have been married for a few months and have known each other for a lot longer than that (16 years). They originally were just boyfriend and girlfriend with them both being aromantic. But, then Dani finally told Connor something they were keeping from him. They were non binary. He accepted it and almost a decade later they're now married and happy. (Random Trivia: Modiek is a mash-up of their original last names, Rodiek and Michaels.)

Ronald Pierce
    Ronald Pierce
    ts4_x64-2019-03-30-21-50-40.png?w=920
    Most people, including Ron's family, forget Ron is bi. Whether its because he's married to his wife Claire or the fact he hasn't dated a man in about 9 years (since he started his relationship with his then-girlfriend-now-wife), he doesn't know. But, while he's committed to his wife, he sometimes does wonder what would have happened if he and Steven from high school had ended up together.
    Bugsie2016 wrote: »
    Do I post my submissions here or do something else?

Really cool bios @Bugsie2016 and yes you can post submissions here. :)