Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do We Really Need Another Three Years? TS4 at Four Years Old

Comments

• Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited May 2019
    mirta000 wrote: »
    The game is doing so well, that it's free! Honestly I've never seen a game that is still pulling a lot of sales to ever do that...

I mean, the base game has been practically free for years now.

They’re likely just focusing on promoting TS4 as a live service (gross) and getting DLC sales up. Their last announcement did say that they were going to release loads more packs this upcoming year.

It’s funny though, the site where I found this news just had comments of how boring it was, what a waste of money, how it’s only worth it for CAS/build mode, etc. It still doesn’t get much praise, even five years after its release.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,447 Member
    The game is doing so well, that it's free! Honestly I've never seen a game that is still pulling a lot of sales to ever do that...
    Have they said why they are giving the game away for free for a whole week?

Presumably it’s not out of the goodness of their hearts.

But keep that in mind for the next earnings call when they brag that their downloads are way above what they projected etc.

Someone in another thread brought up a good point, that they're trying to catch the last 32-bit customers before the change over to 64-bit. It actually makes a lot of sense from EA's perspective. They can still sell the Legacy edition packs to those people, and if anyone was in doubt about getting Sims 4 before, this will be a temptation too great to pass up to get the base game for free. If they can hook them that way, it will equal more sales in the end.
    #Team Occult
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,913 Member
    edited May 2019
    LiELF wrote: »

But keep that in mind for the next earnings call when they brag that their downloads are way above what they projected etc.

Someone in another thread brought up a good point, that they're trying to catch the last 32-bit customers before the change over to 64-bit. It actually makes a lot of sense from EA's perspective. They can still sell the Legacy edition packs to those people, and if anyone was in doubt about getting Sims 4 before, this will be a temptation too great to pass up to get the base game for free. If they can hook them that way, it will equal more sales in the end.

As I said. They are catching the lower end PC and Mac players before the cut so that they can at least buy the packs before 29th February. Good business thinking for EA.
  • Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    LiELF wrote: »

I agree. Seems like that's the case...
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Can’t speak for others obviously, but I presume when people say you’re ‘wrong’ there, it expresses a feeling of “thát can’t be a reason, at least not the ónly reason, how can that be enough!”. But you’re right, a feeling or preference can never be right or wrong, it will always be personal and we’ll have to learn to respect each other’s. That being said, on a personal note it does frustrate me that EA appears to get away with things just because they make it look good*. I think that also explains a lot of the frustration among simmers who care less about looks. I’m not indifferent to looks in the game myself by the way, in fact I use it as an argument myself whenever I discuss Sims vs Minecraft with my son, but in a way, even though I do, I think he has a point when he says he doesn’t care about the looks in that game because it’s so much fun to play. And at the same time, guess who was bursting into cheers when RDR2 came out. Even calling me over to admire the (indeed amazing) graphics in that game. (“Compare that to Sims”, ya ya ya ;))

*this includes Sims 3 by the way, because even though I love that game, it also came with shortcuts and flaws that imo are not acceptable or defensible

This.

Using the previous games as an example, I prefer the way TS3's sims look over all the others. I played Sims 2 on PS2, so it wasn't like I grew attached because it was the first type of sims I saw or anything, it's just personal preference. I'm not one to change much about the game's looks also so CC wasn't appealing to me either, but the second I got past CAS and into the game and started playing, I rarely noticed the things I didn't like about their appearance in TS2 because the game had more substance that pulled me in.

TS4 I didn't like the looks of either but I went in with an open mind. Despite that and other things I learned about that I didn't really care for, I hoped that it'd have more substance to keep me entertained. Instead with TS4 those little things that I could've overlooked became like icing on a cake. The outside looks pretty, even if it's not my taste, but that icing can't make up for a not so great cake.

I hope that maybe they'll learn the error of their ways and improve should TS5 come along. But because they're still raking in money I don't have much hope until they get a wake up call, and by that time, depending on the wake up call, they'll probably figure it's too expensive to make what would bring most players back so they'll end it. They desperately need competition. And the we should be grateful for whatever we receive mentality doesn't help matters either. That no Sims 5 if Sims 4 doesn't do well remark has put a fear in some people. If you're a disgruntled player do you really want a game you have to force yourself to like? That you grumble about getting content for? When MFP was released there were angry players who said they were still going to buy it, even though it left a bad taste in their mouth. It's no wonder they think some players money is guaranteed. Some people are blinded, for lack of a better word, by their love for the series and they're going to buy packs anyway and hope it'll change for them. For some it does but for some it doesn't.

I can hope and wait for free (and it's not at all what I meant but apparently this is the week :lol: ). I had hoped TS4 would get better but I wasn't dropping a coin until they showed me. I hope TS5 comes out and that it's amazing, with hopefully the improved versions of the best of what all the previous games have had to offer and more, and I'm willing to wait for that, but I don't expect it to be better just because they start over and if it is released I'm not dropping a coin on it until I see it's better. Their words mean nothing to me. They have to show me way better than what they've offered so far. There are so many things in the series they have yet to do, so many great things they have done that they can update or improve and make a base game standard and instead we get an incomplete base game and some of the same content in even more pieces with less quality in most cases. Then when we say something about it we get written off as people who can't handle change. No, I think a lot of us can handle change, just not change that isn't for the better.

I agree with MidnightAura. Should Sims 5 come to be Sims 4 players are going to be irrelevant. There may even be a few threads or comments of 'I should've listened...' or 'I can't believe...' even from those who love the game but experience problems because with that level of conceitedness some of the bugs and problems TS4 has now aren't going to be fixed in the end (and I'd love for them to prove me wrong on that because I truly don't want that for any player). And by then TS4 players will fall into the bracket of guarenteed money. Some of them will likely be ones still buying The Sims 5 even if it's worse than the Sims 4 base game in hopes it'll get better, but Sims 5 will be where it's at and unless there's a significant backlash that forces them to change their ways their main focus will be courting new players, not keeping the old ones.
    KqGXVAC.jpg
    edited May 2019
    If I were EA/Maxis I would only let registered Sims 5 players on that forum. Every thread on this one descends into wishing Sims 4 dead and that's not fair on those who like and play it.
    @EA_Mai please note.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited May 2019
    Simburian wrote: »
    If I were EA/Maxis I would only let registered Sims 5 players on that forum. Every thread on this one descends into wishing Sims 4 dead and that's not fair on those who like and play it.
    @EA_Mai please note.

I'm not quite sure why you tagged Mai concerning this thread or what it has to do with anyone's complaints. I say what I mean and mean what I say. I have said nothing I won't tell any of the employees of EA or Maxis how I feel about releasing buggy content , and or piece mealing content, and or how I feel about trying to convince me they don't have control over their own work. Of course there are dead lines but Maxis controls their own deadlines so within a framework it's never an excuse for poor implementation. Maxis decides what's in and what's not. Maxis has meetings with EA and yes, there are things that have to be shown of what is going to happen or what will be done etc but the creative direction is up to Maxis. The only thing Maxis has to do is convince EA it will sell. Marketing has more control than EA. Marketing (the job of the CM) is the enity who decides what/who/where would be a good market for Maxis to try to sell their products to, and marketing has a lot more control there than EA trys to push. Maxis does have to listen to marketing, but as far as what pack better yet what is in that pack is basically up to Maxis unless marketing has a deal with someone or something to push a brand or an idea or an agenda or try to reach a particular buyer. But whether a pack contains a talking toliet or not is up to Maxis, not EA.

And everyone in this thread has either purchased TS4 or some packs and or gifted TS4 or tried TS4 so I don't see why you think anyone in here hasn't played this game, and they are just TS2 or TS3 players who didn't put their money where their mouth is, because we all are registered and have the technical right to speak about TS4 from experience. (It's my opinion they don't deserve one more dime. And it's my opinion I have the right to be insulted by the previous CM who stated we would buy the packs anyway, so it doesn't matter what we wanted, or what we would like or not like or if it's buggy or not, or whatever, we would buy anway. That right there is note worthy. Because no, I don't, haven't and won't. A company as large as EA possibly can afford to tick off it's core fans, but the arrogance of the statements made is enough for reasonable people to feel milked. ETA: (And it looks like they know they know it doesn't deserve anymore money if they are now giving it away for free when TS2 or TS3 was never for Free) That says a lot right. And no it's not out of kindness.
    Post edited by Cinebar on
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    I don't even want the game free. I have nothing against those who like and love Sims4. If they want to pay money for more glitch, bug infested gaming from EA/Maxis that is tied to the internet....well than go for it. I see enough I love the game, but.... threads from sims 4 fans to know it is not perfect. I think until simmers stand firmly together like fans of other communities we will continue to get games from them that are full of bugs and glitches that seriously affect gameplay....or comments 'it was intended to work that way' when we all know it shouldn't have been intended to work that way. The divided community is the Sims franchise worst enemy.

It is not to my taste and I've said many times in the past why. I love Sims3 and I certainly know it is not perfect but, because it is to my taste I put up with and mod the heck out of its bugs and glitches so I can play it. Because Sims 4 is not to my taste it would not be worth modding it to make it playable.

I still don't understand players who want to make everything into a battle. Just because I don't like Sims4 does not mean I am belittling you for liking it or putting up with the bugs and glitches that are in the game or the gameplay that it not to my taste. Love it by all means. Don't let my not loving it affect your love for the game, but, I am allowed to not love it and tell you why if I choose to. I'm also allowed to let EA/Maxis know my reasons why so that they understand that 'telemetry' is not always perfect since I don't play the game and my voice should count as a consumer.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    @EA_Mai please note.

It is an two way street and the same can be said when an person that likes Sims 4 goes into an thread that that poster knows the thread does not put Sims 4 in an good like and then wants to push thier discontent about people disliking Sims 4. so I bet you think that is fair. Whether it is negative or postive any post is considered feedback until that post goes against the TOS.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
    @EA_Mai please note.

So what you are suggesting is that only people who like the sims 4 get an opinion on it? How does that work if you buy it and then change your mind? Have to revoke your membership status? Because personally speaking, I did like the sims 4, it’s not my fault the game failed to hold my attention and whilst it’s not my place to name names there are lots of others on this thread that feel the same. Are we just supposed to shut up? I’ve been a Simmer for nineteen years, I’ve grown up with this franchise and I want the franchise to be better because I know it can be.

People on this forum are discussing the game. That is perfectly acceptable and within the TOS. I don’t understand why some and note the word some, take that so personal because they have a difference of opinion. For context, My Husband is a game developer for a major studio, I don’t get upset when people criticise any of the games he makes. And arguably As i have a bias there it would be very easy for me to take anything other than gushing praise to heart. But I genuinely don’t, never have. I am more interested in the critiques than the praise and funnily enough my Husband feels the same way.

But People are entitled to their opinions and when they are spending their money on a product- they absolutely have the right to critique it providing they stay within the TOS. Those that like and play the game surely would still enjoy their game regardless of what others are saying. Your game is your game, if so and so on the Internet doesn’t like the franchise but you do, I genuinely can’t understand why that would bother someone. It doesn’t impact on your game and unless you make it or have a tie to someone making it I can’t really understand why a thread critiquing the game causes upset.

Well said!
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    @EA_Mai please note.

So what you are suggesting is that only people who like the sims 4 get an opinion on it? How does that work if you buy it and then change your mind? Have to revoke your membership status? Because personally speaking, I did like the sims 4, it’s not my fault the game failed to hold my attention and whilst it’s not my place to name names there are lots of others on this thread that feel the same. Are we just supposed to shut up? I’ve been a Simmer for nineteen years, I’ve grown up with this franchise and I want the franchise to be better because I know it can be.

People on this forum are discussing the game. That is perfectly acceptable and within the TOS. I don’t understand why some and note the word some, take that so personal because they have a difference of opinion. For context, My Husband is a game developer for a major studio, I don’t get upset when people criticise any of the games he makes. And arguably As i have a bias there it would be very easy for me to take anything other than gushing praise to heart. But I genuinely don’t, never have. I am more interested in the critiques than the praise and funnily enough my Husband feels the same way.

But People are entitled to their opinions and when they are spending their money on a product- they absolutely have the right to critique it providing they stay within the TOS. Those that like and play the game surely would still enjoy their game regardless of what others are saying. Your game is your game, if so and so on the Internet doesn’t like the franchise but you do, I genuinely can’t understand why that would bother someone. It doesn’t impact on your game and unless you make it or have a tie to someone making it I can’t really understand why a thread critiquing the game causes upset.

Well said!

No. Lots of posters here only played the base or a couple of packs, have no idea what it is like now or haven't played it at all. That's my opinion and I am also entitled to it.
    I am not against a forum for those who want a Sims 5 and would be very much for it if that was allowed.
    edited May 2019
    @EA_Mai please note.

Well said!

No. Lots of posters here only played the base or a couple of packs, have no idea what it is like now or haven't played it at all. That's my opinion and I am also entitled to it.
    I am not against a forum for those who want a Sims 5 and would be very much for it if that was allowed.

The core of the game is the whole problem. It's five years later, and twenty packs past midnight. How much money should anyone spend before they can have an opinion?
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    Cinebar wrote: »
    @EA_Mai please note.

Well said!

The core of the game is the whole problem. It's five years later, and twenty packs past midnight.

I'm waiting to see what happens when the game goes completely 64bit. It might improve whereas Sims 3 went downhill as it expanded. It's still enjoyable in it's own right.
    edited May 2019
    @EA_Mai please note.

Well said!

The core of the game is the whole problem. It's five years later, and twenty packs past midnight.

I'm waiting to see what happens when the game goes completely 64bit. It might improve whereas Sims 3 went downhill as it expanded. It's still enjoyable in it's own right.

Other opinions shouldn't phase you and make you feel you need to defend a game that has been going on five years of potential. It's not about your judgement, no need to take it personal, it's about the mechanics of the game, the years spent (5) and it is lack luster and full of bugs, and not many new ideas that have panned out the way they may have intented them to work. No one is saying you can't like it or love it. What is more confusing is why anyone who enjoys all of it without one single complaint or wish something was different about it, or anything about it, feels they must defend it when the company (those who work there and or did work there) take for granted you or I or anyone who spent our money on their products, and thinks we would buy it anyway, so no need to market to us anymore.

You just wait the same fate awaits for the core players of TS4, too, who have already been thrown under the bus while they chase rainbows for that elusive buyer who has never played and get their ideas and feedback over yours. That day has already arrived no matter how much money or time you have invested. Because as they said, they knew they would get your money, anyway. They aren't just talking about core fans from years ago, they are also speaking about core fans of TS4, whose money is already guaranteed. So they can just carry on looking for those over on instagram to cater to those who have never played. That was what was said, and they should know since that was their job.
  • mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    @EA_Mai please note.

I am a registered The Sims 4 player. I wish The Sims 4 would end now and I regret my purchase.

I own everything up until Cats and Dogs (and Cats and Dogs mind you). I regret the amount of money I put in into a product that I thought that they would improve. Every day I'm seeing bugs that I had since City Living and no updates on them on the Technical Forums. How many packs should a person own to deserve the right to voice their opinion?

• EA_RtasEA_Rtas Posts: 2,875 EA Community Manager
    edited May 2019
    Hey folks, just want to jump in here and say once again, please keep this polite. There's no need for this thread to be turning into an argument over who is entitled what or what convenience matters most.

Opinions can also be offensive so try and be mindful of how you share them, this comes down to wording, please be mindful as to not put down a section of the community just because you think differently.

Opinions as always are welcome but we do have to remember to be respectful of everyone else and of their opinions also. This thread has generally had some fantastic discussion so I really don't want to have to close it, but there have been some posts here recently where it has strayed too far into "my opinion matters more than yours" territory and that's really not something that fosters good discussion or debate.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    @EA_Mai please note.

Well said!

You are entitled to it of course. But to be completely honest I think its a tad unfair to say "You stopped playing the insert time space here you cannot comment"

Because plenty of people haven't bought packs for whatever reason. I know someone who plays the game religiously but I think with base game and I think one expansion only- she loves the game but she doesn't have the time nor the finances to drop hundreds of dollars on dlc when she has a toddler and a new born. But she's entitled to give feedback as much as you who in guessing still play regularly (correct me if I'm wrong) or I (I haven't played since February/March but I have saw my niece as she has been playing it a lot.)

Cinebar has said (and I hope she doesn't mind me using her as example) she hasn't played for a year or two? But take the dlc she doesn't have out the picture and the core game play hasn't changed. For those people the game hasn't changed, its not going to change, it will just have more stuff. Why would it? Yes if you don't have all dlc you may not have reputation or fame or seasons or the vacation spots but even without owning dlc people are still entitled to have a view on what they do own. Because the core of the game hasn't changed, the complaints about lack of depth, Sims not caring if their partners jump into bed with the gardener is still the same and its my belief that no amount of dlc will change that, its been almost five years, let's be real I think its safe to say the ship has sailed on many things. Let's be real I think many issues will remain as they are for the simple reason they are not considered broken.

People are absolutely entitled to their opinions but I don't agree that a section should be segregated depending on purchase, dlc owned or last play time. If people want a sims 5 section let them have it but I think insisting on upon registration before allowing to give feedback is the worst thing for the series. It's basically saying "Nice opinions only please" and that is a very bizarre attitude to take. Also this thread falls under feedback- presumably EA are happy to have feed back hence the section. For those that feel feedback affects them they don't have to participate. (Not saying people can't or should not just if it upsets them to read anything negative)

Anyhow back on topic - in four months Cinebar this topic will need a title change. That's a scary thought.
    @EA_Mai please note.

Well said!

You are entitled to it of course. But to be completely honest I think its a tad unfair to say "You stopped playing the insert time space here you cannot comment"

Because plenty of people haven't bought packs for whatever reason. I know someone who plays the game religiously but I think with base game and I think one expansion only- she loves the game but she doesn't have the time nor the finances to drop hundreds of dollars on dlc when she has a toddler and a new born. But she's entitled to give feedback as much as you who in guessing still play regularly (correct me if I'm wrong) or I (I haven't played since February/March but I have saw my niece as she has been playing it a lot.)

Cinebar has said (and I hope she doesn't mind me using her as example) she hasn't played for a year or two? But take the dlc she doesn't have out the picture and the core game play hasn't changed. For those people the game hasn't changed, its not going to change, it will just have more stuff. Why would it? Yes if you don't have all dlc you may not have reputation or fame or seasons or the vacation spots but even without owning dlc people are still entitled to have a view on what they do own. Because the core of the game hasn't changed, the complaints about lack of depth, Sims not caring if their partners jump into bed with the gardener is still the same and its my belief that no amount of dlc will change that, its been almost five years, let's be real I think its safe to say the ship has sailed on many things. Let's be real I think many issues will remain as they are for the simple reason they are not considered broken.

People are absolutely entitled to their opinions but I don't agree that a section should be segregated depending on purchase, dlc owned or last play time. If people want a sims 5 section let them have it but I think insisting on upon registration before allowing to give feedback is the worst thing for the series. It's basically saying "Nice opinions only please" and that is a very bizarre attitude to take. Also this thread falls under feedback- presumably EA are happy to have feed back hence the section. For those that feel feedback affects them they don't have to participate. (Not saying people can't or should not just if it upsets them to read anything negative)

Anyhow back on topic - in four months Cinebar this topic will need a title change. That's a scary thought.

I know, four months and TS4 will be five years old. I remember saying before it's release I didn't want to be sitting here waiting two or three years later.....oops, I guess I'm one of those whose money was guaranteed. But I stopped with Parenthood. All that came next seemed like all fluff to me. And I keep up with the patch notes, and nothing in there that has fixed core base bugs, and or fixed any new bugs that were added by installing the packs I did buy. I don't have the money to throw at packs that bring more bugs, and I'm too old to put up with that anymore.
    There's an old joke around my house. It was Christmas one year, a family member had made some fudge. Unexpected guests showed up that evening and they were offered that fudge. They stated after they had eaten some, they didn't like it. But we noticed most of it was gone. lol
    The next day they showed back up (just like those visiting Sims in TS4) and asked if we had anymore.....I don't want to be that type of buyer, even if it was for free.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    @EA_Mai please note.

Well said!

I must confess I’m clueless when things become technical, what wonders can we expect when the game goes 64bit? In what ways can it improve? For me Sims 3 didn’t go downhill by the way. Do you mean concerning performance? Bugs? Or quality? Must say bugs have always been my only issue with the game. Sims 4 seems to add bugs with every new pack, might the 64bit thing help with that?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    I do wonder why some people think the Sims 5 is going to be this amazing game filled with depth and incorporating all the lost features like open world. Why would they bother to do that? They admitted they struggled with an open world before, from what I can tell by sales of the sims 4 and by apparently how difficult things are to make - where is the incentive to push the limits and include those things when the current iteration lacks so much but apparently has the best sales. That surely is sending a message to the powers that be that the community is happy with the status quo, where is the incentive to change? Be much easier to keep future games similar and piece meal those as much as they can get away with because they know people will buy it.

Can I be honest? I don't believe that at all. If you read their quarterly and annual reports, it's not very clear what is actually making money. They never specifically point to TS4, but the group as a whole - this includes their mobile games and often references live service.

They don't care about veteran simmers of the older titles. We are irrelevant. And when and if a sims 5 comes to fruition the sims 4 fans will also be irrelevant. It's a strange marketing strategy for a game where you isolate your fans that made your series a success but then again when all they want is your money for little return it kinda makes sense as anyone not in their target market can see their nickel and diming for what it is.

I think the new leadership (starting 2013) doesn't care about veteran simmers. The corporation's value is much higher now because of the new leadership, but it is because it is all about making the most profit in the quickest way. That's why they didn't employ as many people that the game would need to give the packs richer gameplay and content. I don't care what Grant Rodiek says about so many people being hired - the game and its packs just don't reflect that.

But, I guess I'm a fool. I'm still hoping that they learned a lesson from what happened with TS4. I'm still hoping that there would be a better TS5. I'm still hoping that Paradox Tectonic will develop their own life sim game that knows what veteran simmers want and hope for and carries on from TS1 - TS3. Until EA openly admits that there will be no TS5 and/or that Paradox Tectonic ends up making other games, then I'm going to still hope. In the meantime, I'm going to just keep enjoying playing TS3 and other games (currently Borderlands GOTY Enhanced).

• AHolyToiletAHolyToilet Posts: 870 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    I think we are getting off topic, though knowing TS4 or the older games' strong points are important to most of us. Whether we like TS4 or prefer an older game more. It matters because it will influence what players want in a future game. (Possibly).

My point of this thread is how can I keep waiting on things that were strong points in the other games to come to TS4 (finally) after this game has already ran it's course at five years old here in a few short months. Compared to monies spent in previous games, at this point they were so full the average pc user couldn't install all packs without some sort of upgrade to their machines, if they wanted to keep all packs installed.

Comparing that to TS4 leaves much to be desired because with TS4's 20+ packs and five years (I think that's a correct number) people are still needing improvements and stronger gameplay. All that money....and even TS4 players are still waiting on something...no matter what that something might be.

Still waiting on vacation destinations, magic, colleges, other life states, chemistry attractions, slow dancing, ability to swim in lakes or oceans, proper terraforming, building ablitites still not in the game, a larger amount of traits to choose that don't over lap with skills and or those whims, Consequences for bad choices, automobiles, and on and on. I don't know, I just feel if anyone bought these twenty packs+ at normal prices, they might feel shafted. Five years and over $400 and we still have demands to improve it.....

I understand the arguments on all sides no matter which game players prefer, but 'runs well' and nice graphics shouldn't even enter into the reason to spend that much money (for me) or to wait ten years + more money.

No - not so. In the history of gaming - name me one game that has EVER gone back to it's roots!

Devil May Cry 5 went back to the roots of the series itself after their previous game flopped when they tried something new and failed. The last 2 Resident Evil games also did this.
  • AHolyToiletAHolyToilet Posts: 870 Member
    edited May 2019
    So after skimming this thread a bit, I can understand why some folks question if TS4 should go on another 3 years. Personally, I would like to see what else the Gurus can do with the game, but it still does have its share of minuses and pluses that make me on the fence. For example (obviously subjective for the most part):

1. Sims in the Sims 3 clearly have more personality and follow their traits way more than the Sims 4 Sims do as well as their traits having far more depth. An example of this would be the Evil trait. If you look on the Wiki, you'll find way more information on the TS3 Evil trait as opposed to TS4. Because in TS3, it does way more.

2. Buuuut to me, the appearance of the Sims in the TS4 win. For me, it's so easy creating good-looking Sims in TS4. And with their far more fluid animations, are more life-like to me in their appearance.

3. In terms of the depth of the world, to me, TS3 wins. I like that there's far more to do in the worlds of TS3 as opposed to TS4. In TS3, I can make one Sim work out at the local gym, then go pick up some food, then go home as my other Sim goes around the city becoming partners with businesses and view them both easily. TS4 doesn't allow me to do this.

4. However, I would say the TS4 has a more beautiful world. But can we really say a beautiful world with little depth is better than an uglier-looking world with way more depth to it?

5. But ultimately, my biggest problem in TS4 is the lack of motivation and meaningful things to do. In TS3, you could set lifetime goals which were goals that would take your Sim a long time to complete. They were goals that helped personalize the Sim even more and were things you could make your Sim aspire and dedicate their lives to. To me, they felt a bit more like real people because people in real life do aspire to complete at least just one ultimate lifetime goal. Alongside these goals were whims that actually had depth and were interesting ways to earn rewards and they appeared randomly. The whims in TS4 were so bad that the devs decided to just patch in an option to completely hide them instead of, you know... giving us good whims.

Right now, I'm not playing TS4. Not because I dislike the game, but because there's absolutely nothing for my Sim to do right now, nothing interesting, at least. I don't think I'll ever completely drop TS4, but when it comes to TS3, that's a game I play to have fun, to get surprised, to be interested in what happens next. and to be challenged. And when I play TS4, it's to admire how pretty my game and Sims look, primarily. I'm constantly taking breaks from TS4 and only going back when a decent-looking pack is announced. Then I'll play with the pack for about a week. Then be bored again. Strangerville, I completed in about an hour and I have no interest to return to it again!

I think after saying all of that, I too now doubt if we need another three years. I'm tired of naively hoping we get a pack that'll address all the boredom I get after playing the game for about a week when a pack won't fix it. The game itself has to be changed and that's impossible.

I went back to TS3 after an extremely long hiatus from the game. I even deleted all of my CC in that game, thinking I would never play it again. A while ago, I reinstalled it and it completely opened my eyes to all the problems I have with TS4. This all being said, I do like TS4... but I like TS3 even more. And the TS3 having a shorter lifespan than TS4, but still entertaining me way more strikes me as a problem that will never be fixed.

No matter how wide a puddle becomes, it's still a puddle. And I'm beginning to think that's an apt description of TS4.
    Post edited by AHolyToilet on
  • EA_RtasEA_Rtas Posts: 2,875 EA Community Manager
    Alright, once again I've had to remove quite a few posts in here for either not following my request in my earlier post or simply just being off topic. This is the last time I'll be doing this, should it continue I'll have to close the thread. It simply can't continue in the way that it has with large swathes of off topic or non civil posts which end up needing to be removed.

So please keep it on topic and polite going forward or the thread will be closed.
    EA/Maxis went to 64 Bit when MS and Apple abandoned 32 bit and not for the reasons some are thinking. Only time will tell if EA/Maxis do take advantage of 64 bit capabilities. EA/Maxis may still face limitations referencing the engine used and some capabilities rely on how well an task will adapt to the engine. So until I see some earth shaking features I will not be holding my breath.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top