Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Anyone else having trouble with outside areas?

So I downloaded this beautiful mill which I dropped in the middle (not literally) of a way too big lot.

millmmko5.jpg

(And yes, it has to be this very lot, because I have a theme going on in this neighbourhood of Willow Creek and everything else is already taken.)

Anyway... As usual with those huge empty spaces, I don't know what to do with the rest of it, and it feels like a waste to have nothing but the mill standing there. The building you see in the background is a small mausoleum for all the dead husbands and other people who have mysteriously died on the grounds of my elderly black widow, but if I can think of something better to put there, I might as well move that stuff to the basement of the main building.

This haunted house is full of secrets, as is the inhabitant Frauke Holle, based on a German fairy tale character who is said to have power over the weather. In my game, she also has four cats named after deities that represent the elements. Any suggestions on how to shape the landscape in a way that can somehow convey that idea would be very welcome - or just any suggestions at all for the outdoor surroundings.

(I thought of putting a volcano somewhere to represent fire, but... no such thing. :( )

Comments

• LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,447 Member
    So I downloaded this beautiful mill which I dropped in the middle (not literally) of a way too big lot.

millmmko5.jpg

(And yes, it has to be this very lot, because I have a theme going on in this neighbourhood of Willow Creek and everything else is already taken.)

Anyway... As usual with those huge empty spaces, I don't know what to do with the rest of it, and it feels like a waste to have nothing but the mill standing there. The building you see in the background is a small mausoleum for all the dead husbands and other people who have mysteriously died on the grounds of my elderly black widow, but if I can think of something better to put there, I might as well move that stuff to the basement of the main building.

This haunted house is full of secrets, as is the inhabitant Frauke Holle, based on a German fairy tale character who is said to have power over the weather. In my game, she also has four cats named after deities that represent the elements. Any suggestions on how to shape the landscape in a way that can somehow convey that idea would be very welcome - or just any suggestions at all for the outdoor surroundings.

(I thought of putting a volcano somewhere to represent fire, but... no such thing. :( )

Love the story you're doing!

I like the idea of four elements. Maybe have each corner of the lot dedicated to one? If you're using earth, air, fire, water, then you could have a small pond in one corner for Water (use the piranha or shark pond from Get Famous, that would be great to get rid of another husband, lol) or even the deviant Wishing Well from Romantic Garden. For Fire, you could have a bonfire or campfire in another corner. For Earth, maybe some of the statuary from Romantic Garden, and you could even use some of the weird vines from Vampires or StrangerVille for a creepy element and add in the cowplant. As for air...well, that's trickier...but maybe a tower prison of some sort? Something high up. And if you could fit the weather control machine up there, that could be fun to play with. You could summon a thunderstorm and hope to get another husband struck by lightning, lol.

It definitely depends on what packs you have, but you could have a lot of fun with some death traps on your lot. >:)
    #Team Occult
  • GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    I have all the packs except Toddler Stuff, which I assume doesn't introduce any new threats, so I'm free to play with everything nasty the game has to offer. >:)

The mill itself represents air (it's a wind mill after all), and also water with that small pond and the water wheel on the side, that's why I chose a house like this for my weather witch. For fire, I'm thinking of building an evil furnace of doom in the basement, although I have no idea yet how to do that and what to even use it for (besides the obvious, which TS4 would never allow... :D). The shark pond and the cow plant are great ideas!

It's funny that you mention Romantic Garden, I bought that pack specifically to have more stuff to put in my empty gardens, but I still completely suck at creating outdoor areas. :| But that may also be because of my aversion to MOO, I just hate it when you start editing and half of the stuff magically disappears because it was put in places where it shouldn't be.
  • SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    Do some landscaping.
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)