Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Lost contact of boyfriend from sims university!

My female sim has a boyfriend from the university. She got home already, but when i checked the relationship bar to invite him home he's nowhere to be found! All her friends from the uni were there but only he's not there. Is there a way to get to know him again other than going back to university? dont wanna go back because it's a waste of time. Is this a glitch? thanks.

Comments

• Options
    ZarZar Posts: 3 New Member
    I want this to get fixed. My sim even earned a pure reputation because of their relationship. :(
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Not sure why this is showing up in the Technical Discussion section, but it is a common type of question and not really a glitch. Sims in other worlds can fade in and out of existence; there isn't much that can be done from your current world to stop that.

Do you have a save from when your sim was actually back in Uni that you can revert to? If so, you could chat the bf up, invite him to move in, then when you return home he will follow you and become part of your household. If you really didn't want them living together yet, then you could move him into his own house.

If you are not averse to using mods, from where you are now you could try to pull the bf into your homeworld as a permanent resident (provided he still does exist back there) using NRaas MasterController. You could also use the NRaas Traveler mod to travel to Uni as if on a vacation (not a very exciting one) there and look for him. Or finally, without mods, you could switch active households and send someone else to Uni to look for him.

But in case this is where you were going -- at no point, with or without mods, should you consider trying to make a visiting tourist, which is what he would be if you really were able to invite him over for a visit by phone, into a moved in resident. Doing so will usually yield a damaged sim and could ruin your game. I actually wish the game had locks in place to prevent players from trying to do that, but that's a rant for another day. Without mods, you really have to add the full-fledged sim to your household while in his world, not yours.

o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    Sid1701D9Sid1701D9 Posts: 4,718 Member
    it really depends on the situation and the tourist thing has been fixed since university life. Sims in other worlds age with your sims base or home world and do not age when you are visiting them, except for ITF. the sims at university have to be invited to your world from your home world there is no option in the non mod version of university to ask the sim to change the state. I tried to get a sim from another neighborhood into UL through plumbot projection but the sim just disappeared, So I gave up on that idea but I am still trying to find a way to get the other sim to UL without loosing family relationships.
    Sid1701d-"I love my life, live my life and live to play, laugh and have fun."

"Love will Fight, Love will Win and Love will Survive."
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Sid1701D9 wrote: »
    it really depends on the situation and the tourist thing has been fixed since university life. Sims in other worlds age with your sims base or home world and do not age when you are visiting them, except for ITF. the sims at university have to be invited to your world from your home world there is no option in the non mod version of university to ask the sim to change the state. I tried to get a sim from another neighborhood into UL through plumbot projection but the sim just disappeared, So I gave up on that idea but I am still trying to find a way to get the other sim to UL without loosing family relationships.
    Sims in other worlds do not progress. They don't really age either, unless you mean their total number of sim days increments by one each day at midnight -- the real aging process catches up the next time that sim is instantiated, as do things like unresolved pregnancies and impending deaths.

When you invite a sim to visit from another world, they arrive as a tourist. A tourist is a Mini-Sim, that is, a scaled down data representation of themselves, and should never be asked to join a household while in that form. This has not changed. The tourist data is stored in the TravelDB file.

The way to get an inactive sim to shift homeworlds without mods and without involving tourist Mini-Sims is to go into their homeworld and add them to your household from that end. You will then be able to bring the full-fledged sim home with you. If for whatever reason you cannot get them added to your household that way through social or romantic interactions (the game can be stubborn about this, but it should not be impossible) and the player is not using mods such as those from the NRaas suite to resolve the Mini-Sim from the TravelDB file with the real sim in their nhd file, then they should just be left alone.

You are free to do whatever you like with your game, Sid. But telling players that they can get visiting tourists to move in while they are Mini-Sims is just going to break everyone else's games. It won't happen every time, but it will more often than not.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    I am not talking about the tourist sim, I do agree with you one the tourist element of the sims not being completely there, but that only has to do with world adventure and not university as the university is in the same world as your home but off the map from the base neighborhood. They age with you, but they won't update unless you ask them to visit you or you visit them by going to school. The tourist thing is hardly anything and you can tell if you got the real sim by taking the traveler.db away if the sim does not disappear than you got the real sim, if not you got a mini copy of the sim. When you invite a sim over the real sim will come visit for a while until needs are not met than they will go back home, but since they are on vacation some will choose not to go home right away and will than become a tourist, when they go visit a community and not staying with you, these are the mini sims. Since they have to stay three days anyways, it don't matter. Just make sure you do stuff with them when the tourist tag is not on them, this will make sure you get the real sim. Also I married a real sim from UL by asking the sim to be my roommate using the holographic projection, this was fine in all for the roommate thing since I wasn't in control so how did I get the real sim in the world instead of the hologram, well I went into the future and called the sim with another hologram this caused the current hologram sim to be replaced by the real sim instead of a hologram when I got back from the future.

• Options
    Zar wrote: »
    My female sim has a boyfriend from the university. She got home already, but when i checked the relationship bar to invite him home he's nowhere to be found! All her friends from the uni were there but only he's not there. Is there a way to get to know him again other than going back to university? dont wanna go back because it's a waste of time. Is this a glitch? thanks.

You should go to UL world and check lots for gravestones, because sometimes they may be in the process of dying off and since UL has no cemetery I am pretty sure they are left wherever they die.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    @Sid1701D9 - I can't speak to the hologram scenario because I have no experience with ITF. But the rest of your post is just not how things work in TS3 at all.

Cannot believe Since I do not believe you are posting misleading stuff like this on purpose, Sid. I wonder if you are accidentally confusing some TS2 structures such as Uni with that of TS3?

Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Igazor, Why would EA make a game that gets corrupted by asking npc players to move in or from other worlds, this does not make since to me, on slower computers this game may get corrupted easily and not work as intended, but if you think I am posting misleading information than congratulations, you can not invite or change any move in status in UL and WA all updates have to be done in home world or base world, this is the fact at how the game works, I have played the game the way EA created it and have not seen no corruption, so I will continue to do it my way. This is the main reason why EA decided to make The Sims 4 the way it is because of peoples inability to play the game on slower than gaming quality computers. A game world like The Sims 3 needs a computer with at least 2.99GB free for game and a processor at least 2.13Ghz or higher to prevent any type of lag or corruption and a dedicated card with at least 2GB of ram. So who is giving misleading information, just because you have the Nrass industries and you tear apart the code does not give you the right to be a know-it-all.

• Options
    Your heated response caught me a bit off guard. I wasn't trying to attack you or accuse you of deliberately posting misleading information. I meant since I don't think that, there must be some other reason for the apparent disconnect (see edit above).
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    Everything has been settled in private message, like it should be :P back to helping simmers:)

• Options
    Philip_Wilde_1Philip_Wilde_1 Posts: 3 New Member
    Well, I've encountered the dreaded Ask To Move In problem. My wife is at Sims University, and wants one of her uni friends to move in with us in Twinbrook after graduation. Her friend thinks I (as my wife) am Being Friendly, I just asked her to spend the night at my sorority, and I have all kinds of dialogue options, including Admire and Express Fondness, but CANNOT get the Ask To Move In option for the life of me. Am I missing something?

I know this is an old thread, but I can't start new threads as a new member, and this is the most recent and relevant one I could find.
  • Options
    @Philip_Wilde_1 - There needs to be a solid long-term relationship/friendship there in addition to the short-term sim thinks your sim is being Friendly. I take it that the relationship score between the wife and her friend is very high (all the way in the green), thus making them Best Friends? The game also needs to see your sim's household as not being full. If the sorority has eight members already, even though as many as seven of them might not be controllable by you, it would be enough to disallow adding an additional member. This can work out better when our sims stay in non-stuffed off campus housing without quite so many temporary roommates, but that has to be decided at the beginning of the term as moving mid-stream will cause the active sims' academic enrollment to break.

Those social interactions can be fussy to work through, but it's really the only safe way to get a sim to join your household and return with your sim to their homeworld without mod usage. If not averse to using mods, several from NRaas make these things much easier to work out.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    Thanks very much for your quick reply, Igazor! Yes, they're Old Friends (with the little star icon). So I should dismiss one (or more) of her sorority roommates to make room? Is there a preferred way of doing that? I have mods installed (Error Trap, Overwatch, and Relativity among them), but would prefer to do it the vanilla way, if possible. I would have had her stay at a house had I known it would be easier to do this. :/
  • Options
    This is somewhat of a old topic, However, I don't think the move in option is there for the soreity as its a locked lot. Also I don't think there is a move in option for the Student living buildings. If you want sims from University to move in invite them over and ask to move in. Because of the way University works only your active family members can go to University with you.

• Options
    edited May 2019
    Most of my recent answer was intended for those playing without mods. If you have certain NRaas mods, it is now safer to invite this sim over to your homeworld the EA way and ask them to move in from there without taking any other special actions. Code was added to the newer versions of them since this thread was last active years ago to help protect the less than full sims that arrive, and they are far less likely to corrupt or break the game by doing it that way than they once were. The mods in question are Overwatch, ErrorTrap, Traveler, and RelationshipPanel.

The other way to do this is to use MasterController's Add Sim, either in Uni World or back home (filter to Homeworld) to force the sim to move in either to your household or to another one. If you use it in Uni World on a regular off-campus house, the sim becomes part of your travel party, you would control them through the rest of the term, and they would return home with your sim. I know it can be more fun to get sims to do things "organically" because they seem to want to, but sorry sometimes we as players just know what they want/need better than they do.

I think Sid might be right about the frat/sorority houses, although I vaguely recall being able to do the MC Add Sim thing with a full dormitory a while back and nothing horrible happened. Unless you count having to live in a dorm for a while as horrible, but anyway maybe I was just lucky that one time. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    Okay, thanks for the info, guys. I'll invite her to Twinbrook, then ask her to move in.
  • Options
    EA_RtasEA_Rtas Posts: 2,875 EA Community Manager
    Seeing as your question got answered :smile: I'm going to go ahead and close this thread off as it's been inactive for some time. If you have any questions about necroposting you can read this thread here : Necroposting
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top