Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

More Illness/Disabilities/Birth Defects?

Okay so this might be a little TOO real, so apologies if it seems like it is. I have a lot of health problems myself so sometimes I guess I can be a bit desensitized to the whole subject, so please don't be mean :/

But I think it would be cool to have more illnesses in the game, but more as a consequence of something. So for example, if a mother has a stressful pregnancy (neglects her needs etc) the baby has the chance of being born with a defect. Maybe picks up skills slower later in life, is clumsy, or something like that idk. Or can be born with a genetic illness. Also, if a sim is overweight, they can develop type 2 diabetes and has to medicate, keep an eye on blood sugar, be careful not to eat too much sweet stuff, can have hypos from low blood sugar, or get ketones when blood sugar is too high for too long (I have type 1 diabetes just for the record lol).

Idk I'd just like some more realism and it would be cool if some things could be consequential but also some could just be by pure chance. But I may just be running too far with my ideas lol.

Comments

• tnb494tnb494 Posts: 247 Member
    I love the pregnancy idea. Having a sim turn out clumsy after their mother had a hard pregnancy would be a great way to add some realism in the game while still not getting too dark.
  • Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    I have seen the idea of having disabled sims gathering momentum for some time. In theory it is an excellent idea because it presents a more realistic community and would perhaps make disabled players feel more included.

Sadly I don't think the time is now. Not because I don't want to see the disabled side of society recognised being a member myself but more because of some players attitude towards their able bodied sims. A long time ago I raised a thread about the mistreatment of sims and quite a few players were happy to boast of how they tortured, abused and put to death their sims. To be fair an equally large number came forward to say how they took very good care of their sims. I must admit I was shocked at the violence especially as the thread was started as tongue in cheek. I doubt very much has changed in the last few years and I would be appalled to think of any player taking pleasure in hurting a disabled sim.

I do like the pregnancy idea though although I would prefer it not to end with birth defects or learning difficulties later in life. Perhaps it could be something along the lines of a pregnant mum drinking coffee or eating pancakes so the baby is born with a liking for both. Or perhaps mum playing the violin or painting while pregnant so the baby is born with a love of music etc.

Finally I don't think you are desensitized. You are more than aware of the need for the game to be more inclusive and are brave enough to say so.
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • munroelemunroele Posts: 286 Member
    I think the idea of a sim turning out with a silly trait like clumsy, clingy and even fussy would be a great way to incorporate this, but itd be tough to find the line that says 'you neglected your pregnancy, have a sim with a predetermined trait', would a one time bladder failure or collapse do it? Or would it need to be more regular? This is a good implementation idea, i think. Even adding things like a random chance of a disability once thats implemented would work, rather than choosing. Maybe 5% of sims?

And like @Bettyboop55 said, making it so things pregnant sims do is passed on, like a love of certain foods works well for me! And a chance of a trait or two being passed as well, rather than allowing us to choose everything.

As for disabilities, i want them. I have a chronic illness, being type 1 diabetes, and id love to see food related disorder that makes sims angry if they eat something overly sweet like cake and havent say, done enough exercise to burn it off, or get dazed if their hunger gets too low. Keep it silly and whimsical like thr sims is, but even allowinv customisation in CAS works for me. Or sims who cannot eat a certain food, like food with fish, because they have an allergy, or sims who occasionally just collapse of exhaustion with no warning.

But maybe allowing a toggle, so those of us who want it can have it, as i know a lot of people play to escape their own life, while ill do anything for more depth.
  • ILikeCandyILikeCandy Posts: 2 New Member
    This sounds cool!
  • Teena94Teena94 Posts: 65 Member
    I have seen the idea of having disabled sims gathering momentum for some time. In theory it is an excellent idea because it presents a more realistic community and would perhaps make disabled players feel more included.

Sadly I don't think the time is now. Not because I don't want to see the disabled side of society recognised being a member myself but more because of some players attitude towards their able bodied sims. A long time ago I raised a thread about the mistreatment of sims and quite a few players were happy to boast of how they tortured, abused and put to death their sims. To be fair an equally large number came forward to say how they took very good care of their sims. I must admit I was shocked at the violence especially as the thread was started as tongue in cheek. I doubt very much has changed in the last few years and I would be appalled to think of any player taking pleasure in hurting a disabled sim.

I do like the pregnancy idea though although I would prefer it not to end with birth defects or learning difficulties later in life. Perhaps it could be something along the lines of a pregnant mum drinking coffee or eating pancakes so the baby is born with a liking for both. Or perhaps mum playing the violin or painting while pregnant so the baby is born with a love of music etc.

Finally I don't think you are desensitized. You are more than aware of the need for the game to be more inclusive and are brave enough to say so.

This is a lovely comment!! I do understand what you're saying about people taking advantage of it, I hadn't even thought of that. And the idea of picking up preferences from the parents is a really cool idea!
    munroele wrote: »
    I think the idea of a sim turning out with a silly trait like clumsy, clingy and even fussy would be a great way to incorporate this, but itd be tough to find the line that says 'you neglected your pregnancy, have a sim with a predetermined trait', would a one time bladder failure or collapse do it? Or would it need to be more regular? This is a good implementation idea, i think. Even adding things like a random chance of a disability once thats implemented would work, rather than choosing. Maybe 5% of sims?

And like @Bettyboop55 said, making it so things pregnant sims do is passed on, like a love of certain foods works well for me! And a chance of a trait or two being passed as well, rather than allowing us to choose everything.

As for disabilities, i want them. I have a chronic illness, being type 1 diabetes, and id love to see food related disorder that makes sims angry if they eat something overly sweet like cake and havent say, done enough exercise to burn it off, or get dazed if their hunger gets too low. Keep it silly and whimsical like thr sims is, but even allowinv customisation in CAS works for me. Or sims who cannot eat a certain food, like food with fish, because they have an allergy, or sims who occasionally just collapse of exhaustion with no warning.

But maybe allowing a toggle, so those of us who want it can have it, as i know a lot of people play to escape their own life, while ill do anything for more depth.

This is why I think it would be a good idea for a mod. That way, those who want it can download it, but those that don't, won't. I'm just trying to find a good modder who accepts huge requests :D because I have no idea how to do it myself. And yes I agree, the neglected pregnancy bit could be from a collapse or something, but also I think it should be random, so even those with perfect pregnancies could have a chance of having something go wrong later.
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    edited May 2019
    I do like this idea, but I was thinking that they could be born with a predetermined walk style that would make them clumsy, and one of the goofy ones too, like sluggish. But, there would also be two new ones (at least) that are cane and wheelchair, that they could also end up with. But in that kindhearted, cheerful kind of way that the Sims is. Like, for example, if you have Get Together and they get dancing skill high enough but have the cane walk style, they can do one of those dances with the flat hats and the canes. Say, level three or so. And with the wheelchair, there can be a hidden skill that's called "trick" so they can do cool things in it, like shooting hoops if you have City Living or maybe a wheelie?
    Post edited by nerdfashion on
    funny-gifs20.gif

• SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    edited May 2019
    I don't mind having disabilities in the game, but I don't like the pregnancy idea. I think that already in real life there's too much blame upon mothers for everything they did wrong every time something goes wrong with their children. Sometimes they do nothing wrong but genetics just happen. I've seen a lot of poor woman devastated when something goes wrong with their pregnancy and then everybody blames them for it on top of that and adding something like that to such a popular game might just emphasize that idea even more. Yes of course things can go wrong when a woman doesn't look after her body, but sometimes it can go wrong for other reasons too and with so much judgment on woman just because something is wrong right now in the world I don't think it's a good idea to add to that.
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    @SimAlexandria that makes sense, and I have to admit that I didn't think about that. One of my favorite books is about a girl with Cerebral Palsy, and she was born with it, but it wasn't her mother's fault. Also, I think they should make it so you can turn off disabilities or similar stuff in settings if they do add it. Just an idea I had.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    edited May 2019
    Yes agreed it should be able to turn it in and off. I think the easiest way to add disabilities would be to add a walk Style that included a cane, crutches, and the wheelchair. Also being able to remove a limb in cas or have a cast or sling. So that it could be completely customized that way. Those are all for physical disabilities mind you. Disease and stuff would be a bit harder.
    Post edited by SimAlexandria on
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Absolutely not.
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    I like the idea of the status of the pregnancy having some effect on the baby, but I think disabilities and birth defects are a bit too dark.
  • thatsnotswegthatsnotsweg Posts: 696 Member
    edited May 2019
    Naw. No pregnancy is perfect and relatively few of them result in birth defects caused by the circumstances. Plus I want to choose the traits of my Sims, not be forced to accept whatever the game picks for them due to the conditions of a pregnancy. The number of traits we can choose has already been lowered from the previous games, I don't want even less choice.
    Post edited by thatsnotsweg on
    gallery ID: thatsnotsweg

vYCrjvm.png
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    @Bettyboop55 such an insightful comment! I absolutely agree with you!
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Technically what you are describing about pregnancy impacting on the child exists in the sims 3. In that game if the Mother has a difficult pregnancy the player may not be allowed to choose one or both traits the baby will be born with. And if the game chooses at least one of the traits will be negative. Of course the negative impact is nothing like you describe. It’s a trait in game that is assigned.

I don’t think it should ever be further than that. I think to add in things like that would be making light of very serious real life conditions, would be upsetting for many and I just don’t think it should be included.
  • Sim_Man17Sim_Man17 Posts: 173 Member
    edited May 2019
    I truly do like the idea of making the franchise more inclusive and realistic, but of course; This idea along with similar ideas are bound to stir up arguments and conflict.
    Many players (especially those with disabilities and birth defects) would rather see The Sims as a means of escapism.
    As in not having a game that reminds them of their obstacles and turmoil.
    I'm certain that many would take great and personal offense from this idea and EA would do what they can as a business to dismiss any ideas regarding Deep, Heavy, and Emotionally challenging topics.
    Note that I'm not intentionally criticizing EA and The Sims Team for dismissing these ideas though. It is quite rational for them to do so as a business. They do have a primary demographic with specific demands to serve after all.
    An inevitable and unfortunate side effect of being an emotionally sensitive society.

That is why I've previously recommended on two (or perhaps three) discussions related to this idea for EA and The Sims Team to create a "Sibling Franchise" to The Sims. A game that shares the same idea, mechanics, and concepts of The Sims, but more Realistic, Deep, Heavy, Controversial, and Adult.
    This came to me when I've heard about The Sims Medieval.
    If they could implement Religion, Murder, and the word Alcohol in a game that shares the same name of the franchise, why not implement these ideas and more to a game that is similar to the base franchise?

Like I've stated before, I like this idea and would be open to as well as advocate for a more realistic and inclusive game, but now is not the time nor conditions.
    Estimating that the current game's engine and present condition would make it immensely difficult for these ideas to be implemented.
    Many are right to expect Bugs, Clipping Issues, and Uncanny Animations to occur.
    Plus, the current theme to the game just wouldn't suit well to these ideas.
    Many would argue that the current game's close to cartoony theme would conflict with these features.
    Though don't take my word for it.

Responding to the comment that @Bettyboop55 posted, I'm not bothered by players who use the game to torture and murder their Sims. It is inevitable for a game like The Sims to receive those kinds of players. It doesn't matter anyway. Players have the right to play the game however they choose to play it. It is a Life Simulation after all. As long as they keep those violent and sociopathic tendencies in a game, I'm not concerned.
    Though I do like your idea on the offspring developing personality traits and interests from the mother's actions during pregnancy.

I do hope that EA and The Sims Team are willing and able to create a sibling franchise that is more realistic, inclusive, and mature.
    That way, many players won't feel left out and many ideas from the past may finally have the opportunity to be implemented.

For now though, at least we got Mods.
    Post edited by Sim_Man17 on
    @Sim_Man17 I liked your post and just wanted to add that in no way am I advocating tighter controls on what a player should or should not do in game. Being an adult I wouldn't like it, nobody would. I did start to write a detail explanation as to why I feel the way I do but you are right, this is a highly emotive topic and this is neither time nor place. I will just say that most people, whatever they do in their games, are decent people and would never hurt a fly. It is the odd exception who might think it alright to take it into RL that worries me.

So the issue of disability within the sims environment has to be handled sensitively for it to work for every player. I think your idea of a darker, more challenging game to sit alongside the existing franchise is a good idea. A while ago I ran a thread in the TS3 section where we talked of improvements to the game and quite a few people were very keen to see a more challenging game. So perhaps there is an appetite for this type of game. Certainly including such things as disability in a separate game would keep the rest of us who use the sims as an escape from challenging everyday lives happy too.

Whatever EA eventually decides to do, I hope it is handled sensitively and includes consultation with various disabled groups. I hope disability within the game is at a level which is acceptable to most players. For now though I am not convinced this is the right time for EA to be tackling this, however much I want a more inclusive game, I want it done well and with care.

I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.

Sim enim est vita
    @Sim_Man17 thank you for such an informative comment. I agree with what you're saying completely. I think having a sibling game that implements these things is a great idea also! That way those that want it can have it, but those don't want it can steer clear of it.
  • Masters_In_SimologyMasters_In_Simology Posts: 62 Member
    As someone with a disability, I have been lobbying for this for some time. It is the main reason why I decided to join this board. I have been lobbying for this ever since I found out that they were making adjustments to include transgender Sims in Sims 4. I figured that if they could make this work, why not figure out a way to make adjustments to include disabled Sims? I struggled with finding a meaningful job for a long time, and I think having disabled Sims would actually send a positive message to the world. People could see a version of someone with a disability as a writer, a scientist, a programmer, a business owner, an entertainer, or a politician.

For me personally, my disability is visual. I for one am tired of seeing glasses being treated as little more than some type of Mr. PotatoHead-style fashion accessory. If anything, I think that is more of a slap in the face than not including the disability. My mother's driving glasses and my grandmother's glasses are not fashion accessories but physical necessities.

The idea of creating a separate game for disabled Sims has been suggested before. This is actually what I do not want to see. It is tantamount to segregation, and would not be a realistic view of our society. You would not want a Sims world with separate facilities for Sims of different races or a Sims world that did not allow for same sex couples; how is this any different? A possible compromise that i had suggested earlier would be to modify neighborhoods to include wheelchair ramps and create some disabled NPCs to warm people up to the idea. While I agree that it is too late to do this now, it would be something worth considering for future games.

Fair warning, threads dedicated to this topic tend to get locked. Thus, I figured I should speak now or forever hold my piece.
    @master_in_simology your post is awesome. I happen to agree with you, if an EA game can be gender inclusive then there is room for it to include disability. Your idea of gradually introducing this theme into the franchise is a good one.

I don't believe anyone is talking about a completely separate game about disabled sims. It wouldn't be right and in the UK possibly not even legal. I also wonder how many of us would feel totally comfortable creating a disabled sim for our own amusement. Therefore I think the creation of a separate game which allows players to explore some of the more challenging aspects of life simulation and to include disability among those challenges would be a suitable compromise for now. Then you have a vehicle for educating about disability but in a way that will make players think. I also think that having a "darker" version does not preclude retaining humour. Most of us with long term chronic illnesses know that being able to see the funny side is often the saving factor in very difficult and unpalatable situations.

As I said before this is not the time for EA to be introducing such a topic to the sims. It is such a huge topic and needs handling with care and plenty of consultation. Then if it is introduced and done well it can provide that positive message you want.

In the hope this reaches the thread before it is closed.

Sim enim est vita
  • catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    Yes for those who want it, but with the ability to turn it off for those who don't.
  • Sim_Man17Sim_Man17 Posts: 173 Member
    edited May 2019
    @Masters_In_Simology and @Bettyboop55
    Definitely.
    These topics should be handled carefully and professionally. With enough consultation and knowledge on each disability, disease, and birth defect.
    Plus, just to clarify, I am not advocating for a separate game that is dedicated to this specific matter.
    I am suggesting that we have a sibling franchise that tackles this matter as well as many other mature and heavy matters with great care and humor. I most certainly agree that sometimes laughter can be the best remedy.
    So not only will this suggested sibling franchise handle Disabilities, Diseases, and Defects, but also other matters such as Religion, War, The darker side of Politics, Conflicting Opinions and Philosophy, Murder, Miscarriages, and Existential Dread.

I do not advocate for this topic to be exclusive. So I understand and agree with your concern, but of course; the current conditions of the franchise and community make it immensely difficult for this topic to be implemented without some sort of backlash to occur. Hurting EA and The Sims Team in the process.

Plus, my apologies to Betty for making it seem like you were advocating for tighter controls to the franchise. Thank you for your clarification.

Of course; I am aware that this topic will eventually be locked. So hopefully I have made my message clear before this discussion does get locked.
    Post edited by Sim_Man17 on
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,748 Member
    Last year about this time Grant said that "The team" was going to be researching/have talked to simmers with disabilities (he mentioned wheelchairs, and hearing-impaired-he mentioned something about a Simish Sign Language and the possibility of mental illnesses). But we haven't heard anything about it since I believe Sept 2018.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Masters_In_SimologyMasters_In_Simology Posts: 62 Member
    Sim_Man17 wrote: »
    @master_in_simology and @Bettyboop55
    Definitely.
    These topics should be handled carefully and professionally. With enough consultation and knowledge on each disability, disease, and birth defect.
    Plus, just to clarify, I am not advocating for a separate game that is dedicated to this specific matter.
    I am suggesting that we have a sibling franchise that tackles this matter as well as many other mature and heavy matters with great care and humor. I most certainly agree that sometimes laughter can be the best remedy.
    So not only will this suggested sibling franchise handle Disabilities, Diseases, and Defects, but also other matters such as Religion, War, The darker side of Politics, Conflicting Opinions and Philosophy, Murder, Miscarriages, and Existential Dread.

Regarding the war thing, I always wondered why Sims offered a Millitary career option. Who exactly is the Sims enemy?
  • DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    I'd love to have this in MY game :) There should be an option to disable it though.
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p