Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 3 aMAYzing Gift Exchange ~ DONE :)

Comments

• Options
    cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    Oh @suzses - what an awesome story. I enjoyed every minute of it. And those ladies soft coloring choices on their garments is perfection! You rock!
  • Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    ciane wrote: »
    Oh @suzses - what an awesome story. I enjoyed every minute of it. And those ladies soft coloring choices on their garments is perfection! You rock!

agreed. i just had a long day.
  • Options
    suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    @Mystik1978

47083093804_7f6634ac0e_z.jpg

Gift #2
    Serendipity Farm

Download Link: https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9309947
    Pictures here: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmDzDbj3

Lainey tells us about the farm:
    The farmhouse is much like Paulo's family, a mixture of different things blended together. The architecture isn't so much what you'd expect to find on this particular island, but the riot of colorful trees and flowers are. The furnishings and collectibles reflect many generations from many places (including what Paulo and I added to it). It is situated in the hills, away from the water, where the the soil is rich, and while it is surrounded by recently built contemporary homes, it is yet hidden like a secret island of tranquility.

I guess you could say I've made my mark on the farmhouse in a big way. I've flourished here, learning and trying my hand at so many things over the years. I've tiled and sponge painted and wallpapered and even learned to successfully apply fabric wall coverings. I've set up my alchemy workshop on the side of the garage with it's hand-stenciled shutters and my screened-in herb garden just behind. I've brought many things from my early travels and mixed them in with what was already here to what is, to me, glorious unconventional effect. I even learned to macrame and made hanging chairs for the balconies.

My favorite color is blue, and you will find a lot of it throughout the house. Paulo favored green, and while you'll find some of it lingers, too, I've begun to phase some of that out, just like he phased himself out of my life.

Once I moved him out of the master bedroom, I set up the larger of the other two bedrooms for him for his visits, but that's now Lena's domain, and I've helped her redo it to her taste. And so, Paulo's things were moved to the smaller bedroom, which I intended for Colin once I learned of his arrival. Colin, however, refused it and prefers to bunk in the barn.

On the grounds is a two-stall horse barn, with second-story hayloft and bunk area, and behind it a cow shed. There are other garden areas in addition to my screened herb garden: the fruit orchard area, and a vegetable garden, the back half of which is now dedicated to Colin's coffee crops. Near the alchemy workshop and herb garden area is the chicken coop and a beehive.

A word from me (make that a few too many words):
    I started the farmhouse with a completely different idea, but it evolved into what it is as I worked on it, and the story with it. I grew to really like it, but I'm a little worried I'll be the only one who does. It has a lot of different things going on.

Since you mentioned you haven't played with the farming, I thought I'd mention a few things based on my own experiences, but keep in mind there are other ways of doing things you might want to investigate.

I've had a lot of farms in my sims games, but I usually start with a slow approach, adding things (and the amount of work involved) over generations. Higher skill levels and more hands to help always came over time. I also tend to make money from "other things" and not worry too much about turning a profit from the actual farming aspect (like, I get a dog that drags home ores and gems that I can turn into a lot of money, and I buy community lots that go along with my sims' interests).

(A word of caution: All the things the sims harvest and collect will quickly add up in their personal inventories. Do NOT leave a lot of things in their bags or it will be lag city. Sell what you're going to regularly and put most of what you want to keep in storage chests. I always make sure to keep a couple of the highest available quality of each plant so I can use them to replant the garden.)

For you, I wanted to try to give you a fleshed out farm, but not one that would be completely overwhelming. I realized early (while my tester/upgrader sim was in residence) that, even though I was trying for "not too much," just weeding the plants and watering some that weren't under sprinklers (there's only one you need to water now) could take all day. So, I decided two things: (1) to add ground sprinklers* for any plants not under the SwiftGro Stations and (2) to include in the household a sim that already had well-established gardening skill and experience, plus two other sims who could also contribute to the work. Lainey is a sim who was my "Eve" when I did the Adam and Eve challenge, and later the founder in my custom Moonlight Falls game. For this, I've renamed her, changed her up a bit, and added some things I never did with her (being a witch and alchemist).

So, things should run OK while Lainey is alive, but she's an elder, and the challenge will be to make sure the younger members of the household can handle it once she's gone. She has some useful lifetime rewards, including the no bills one, which it might be wise to get on one of the other sims if you don't think they'll have adequate income when left on their own. Lainey also has a collection helper she can pass on. I do think, though, that there's enough money in the crops, which are more extensive than mine usually are, that things will be OK - more than OK probably - as long as Lena and Colin have developed their gardening skills. Also, I think you could make some nice money selling potions on consignment, but one of the younger sims will have to learn Lainey's secrets while she's still alive to pass them on.

The majority of the crops are planted from buydebug so not great quality (the hired help while Lainey was away, you know), but there are a few that are better, particularly the red berry bean plant and the wonderpetal, which are moneymakers.

In the hayloft area, there are three chests with various things I had that I left there that could be useful either for alchemy or gardening. It would be kind of cheaty to plant the perfect veggies and fruits I included, but they are there and can be used at your discretion. Speaking of cheaty, there are also two money trees somewhat hidden at the back right of the property. Your sims will automatically start harvesting (and weeding) them anytime you tell them to tend the garden. If things are tough, maybe you'll want them, or you can delete them if that seems too easy.

I included both the University herbs and Supernatural plants in the herb garden. To me, it represents Lainey's evolution, and you can find uses for all of them, even if it's just selling them. I thought of the orchard as being long established but the vegetable garden as having recently been replanted by Lena and the coffees added by Colin. You, of course, are welcome to do with them whatever you wish, including ripping them all out if you like.

There are several spawners that will show up on the lot: seed spawners associated with the SwiftGro Gardening Stations (of which there are four) and two associated with the alchemy station that spawn at outside edges of the lot. Just mentioning it so, if you spin the lot while placing it, you will know to look for the extra spawners doing that creates which may cause lag in your game. If you need any help with how to find them or with anything else, please feel free to ask me anything anytime.

*The sprinklers are upgraded so they'll auto water. They are also such a huge sim magnet that I almost never use them in my games. I did try to arrange things so they'd be accessible to the sims, because they'll throw routing complaints all day otherwise when you aren't controlling what they're doing. Lena felt she should demonstrate what occurs when the sprinklers can be accessed (see household pictures) ;)
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • Options
    @ciane Love the apartments, and the building name, and the Wangs, too. The collage you made of the household looks great.
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • Options
    weird i tried to leave recs and the registration page keeps popping up.
  • Options
    @friendsfan367 You may need to clear your browser cache - or try a different browser.
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • Options
    JessabeansJessabeans Posts: 3,714 Member
    edited May 2019
    Day 1/Gift 1 From JessaBeans to SamelaRita

Dear @SamelaRita,
    I am so excited to be your buddy. I really enjoyed playing through your renovacies researching for your gift. I hope you enjoy what I came up with as much as I enjoyed making it for you.

https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9309941

tumblr_prqbvpBs1J1w2hmv0o1_1280.jpg

The Riverview Mill
    This timber-framed mill has stood nearly as long as Riverview itself. Once housing two millstones, it provided both high-quality flour for the village and animal feed. This cornerstone continues to stand even after the loss of the bakeries that depended on it. The sole survivor of the 5 mills of Riverview. The recent years have not been kind to the mill. It's been through a flood, the interior is plagued with rot and mold. In its current state, it is considered a public nuisance and danger it now faces being torn down. The mill's walls tell the story of the decline of traditional village work and life. Perhaps it can take on a new life of its own and be a part of a thriving village once more.
    The rear has a place for a garden, with a few starter plants.
    tumblr_prqbvpBs1J1w2hmv0o2_1280.jpg
    The mill equipment has been removed and sold off for scrap, but it's left a gaping hole inside.
    tumblr_prqbvpBs1J1w2hmv0o3_1280.jpg
    There is basic but leaking plumbing in the bathroom.
    tumblr_prqbvpBs1J1w2hmv0o4_1280.jpg
    The millers have set up makeshifts bedrooms on the top floor.
    tumblr_prqbvpBs1J1w2hmv0o8_1280.jpg
    tumblr_prqbvpBs1J1w2hmv0o6_1280.jpg
    The kitchen has the basics but they are in poor condition.
    tumblr_prqbvpBs1J1w2hmv0o7_1280.jpg

The Miller Family
    tumblr_prq9pzOvi01w2hmv0o6_r1_1280.jpg
    Darragh and Clarinda grew up together playing with the other children along the banks of Riverview. They loved to boat and fish, and Darragh tried skipping stones.
    tumblr_prq9pzOvi01w2hmv0o3_1280.jpg
    Darragh could often be found skipping stones on the river. He liked going outdoors to think. As he got older his thoughts more often than not were on Clarinda. One day he saw her was finishing at the small reservoir in front of the old mill. They talked for a while and Clarinda worked up the nerve to give Darragh a kiss. Darragh had always enjoyed her company but his heartbeat went wild at the thought of something more. They spent several summers together and then went to prom. They graduated and went off to University still very close. They didn't see each other much during school as they had different majors. When they graduated Darragh decided he didn't want to part with her again.
    tumblr_prq9pzOvi01w2hmv0o2_1280.jpg
    He invited her down to the river one evening. He told her he had found the perfect stone. She stood watching for him to skip the stone. She was surprised when he pulled it from his pocket and looked up at her still kneeling on the bank.
    tumblr_prq9pzOvi01w2hmv0o4_1280.jpg
    They married and couldn't see themselves living anywhere else. As they were setting up for the wedding they saw a notice had been placed by the old Mill where they had played many wild days in their youth. They spent everything they had to purchase the mill. They would be preserving a historic part of Riverview, and a place that was special to them. Restoring the mill was going to be a lot of work. They had plans to work part-time and renovate part-time. They didn't need much for just the two of them, they could camp out if they needed to.
    tumblr_prq9pzOvi01w2hmv0o5_1280.jpg
    They anxiously signed the contracts, understanding lean times were ahead of them. Clarinda felt sick leaving the office. She thought it was just nerves, but later realized it was something else. They were expecting their first child. Rose was born before closing was over and the Millers had a chance to even move in. They spent the last of their funds buying the basics for her. Now they didn't have any money, food or job prospects. They will need to act fast to make the building safe for their growing family.

Clarinda Miller
    tumblr_prqgqcjuQ51w2hmv0o2_540.jpg
    Young Adult
    Pisces

Artistic
    Loves the Outdoors
    Good
    Eco-Friendly
    Green Thumb
    Frugal

tumblr_prqgqcjuQ51w2hmv0o1_540.jpg

Darragh Miller
    Young Adult
    Aquarius

Eco-Friendly
    Loves the Outdoors
    Handy
    Gatherer
    Green Thumb
    Angler

They share the lifetime aspiration of The Perfect Garden.

Rose Miller
    Toddler
    Cancer

Loves the Outdoors
    Friendly

tumblr_prqgqcjuQ51w2hmv0o3_r1_540.jpg
    Post edited by Jessabeans on
  • Options
    suzses wrote: »
    @friendsfan367 You may need to clear your browser cache - or try a different browser.

my orginal name was friendsfan36. but when i registered sims 4 i had to add a 7 after the 6 cause it wouldn't register now i'm 367 on 3 2.
  • Options
    What a great gift @suzses - I would have commented earlier, but I was busy reading, rec'ing, and DLing everything. I love the wicker rugs and the pretty colored flowers grouped together so nicely, the sun shutters, and the sun room windows... it's a fantastic build and a super great story with a lot of thought! Hats off to you!
  • Options
    What a great gift @suzses - I would have commented earlier, but I was busy reading, rec'ing, and DLing everything. I love the wicker rugs and the pretty colored flowers grouped together so nicely, the sun shutters, and the sun room windows... it's a fantastic build and a super great story with a lot of thought! Hats off to you!

i can't rec til i register a game which will be impossible cause i own them all already.
  • Options
    @Jessabeans What a cool mill - it even looks great in its rundown state. I have no doubt that @SamelaRita and several other people here will have a blast with both the lot and the sweet family you made.
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • Options

Thanks @ciane. There's so much to look at aleady - isn't it fun. :) I'm off to do some rec'ing and downloading now myself.
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • Options
    Aw, @Jessabeans - I was sure yours would pop in while I was commenting, and it did! I love the story, the build, the fact that it's a reno, and that adorable family. I will be playing them later!
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    @Ciane The W ang family are wonderful. Congrats to Liling, I hope she gets the son she wanted.

Haiku Apartment is like poetry. It looks so clean and modern stylish nature inspired accents and such luxe amenities. I'm amazed you fit so much into such a small lot. It looks like a perfect home for the W ang family.

@suzses The Culpepper are such a fun group. I really enjoyed reading their story. I hope Colin gets his horse. I totally want to copy your formatting with their traits, I can't promise I won't edit my post if my daughter ever goes to sleep.

I love Serendipity Farm! You've done a wonderful job with the gardens and all the porches, and that screened greenhouse too! I love the decor, the mix of formal Victorian with casual farmhouse. The kitchen looks so cozily cluttered. It totally reflects the group that lives there.
  • Options
    ADWilsonADWilson Posts: 6,755 Member
    @ciane
    The twins look like they're sweet sisters and are sure to be a big help when 🐸🐸🐸🐸 child #3 comes along. Hopefully, Liling and He get their wish!

Another great build
    by a talented simmer
    hits all the right notes
  • Options
    @suzses
    Lainey is quite the firecracker and is sure to keep Laney and Colin in line more than they her, LOL

Serendipity Farm is FANTASTIC! A lot of amenities and family mementos fill this space from top to bottom. This place has it all and I know if I was a sim, I'd have a hard time leaving here to go do anything!
  • Options
    @Jessabeans
    LOVED how you introduced us to Darragh, Clarinda and Rose Miller!

Riverview Mill is definitely a diamond in the rough! The Miller family has quite the challenge ahead of them to return this building to working order and transforming it into a comfortable home. Samelarita won't be the only one playing out their story!
  • Options
    60smusicluvr60smusicluvr Posts: 1,982 Member
    edited May 2019
    ADWilson wrote: »
    ... there that's better!
    Had to polish the sign at the beginning of the thread.

You know what that means?
    Gifting is officially OPEN!!!

I knew 28 new posts looked suspicious! :o I wasn't prepared for this! BAH! :p

@Ciane, I enjoyed your story about the Wang family, especially how the mother is desperate for a little boy, but, the parents have not one, but TWO twin girls! :D Should be a comedy!

@Suzes, I very much enjoyed your highly detailed backstory of the Culpepper Household, especially as it pertains to Lainey and Paulo. I already feel like I have quite a connection to this household thanks to all the thought you put into it, even having Lainey describe how she, Collin and Lena live in the Serendipity Farm. Also, I'm the Queen of having a lot of things going on! :D You are definitely not the only one that will like it. ;)

@Jessabeans, I adore your story and accompanying pictures of the Miller Family and how personal the old mill is to them and what it meant for their relationship. <3
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    To: @60smusicluvr

As you know, your Buddy is away from home (and access to a computer!) at this time. Thank YOU again for your understanding and patience while you wait until she returns home before opening your presents (I have them in case you change your mind). As promised, here is the first sneak peek so you have a hint or two of what to look forward to.

This is copied/pasted from her email. Her words and pictures. Any errors, while unintentional, would be mine.

WVeFhS.jpg

Ingrid woke, stretched, yawned, made the bed, drew back the curtains and tweaked the blind to open.. Charles was already up and at the hospital, and she could hear the girls stirring in their bedroom. She looked out at the view and sighed.

to be continued within the spoiler tag ...
    bdARuW.jpg

Her mind went back to the view she’d woken up to as a child, growing up on her parents’ farm. Even school days had seemed full of promise and adventure. Now Philippa and Lydia only got to experience that during the summer holidays when they went to stay with Morfar and Mormor.

On the plus side, her parents were coming here today, to stay for a few days. Not in their tiny, cramped flat but with Charles’s parents, James and Anne Meredith, who lived outside the city in a much bigger house.

nY1L3i.jpg

Anne arrived first and without the others. Turned out she’d wanted to chat to her son and daughter-in-law alone.

“I’m worried about your father, Charles. When he gets a cold, it’s going to his chest more than it used to, and it’s taking him longer to shake it off. Nothing really serious yet, but I don’t like this trend.”

mYrYDt.jpg

Charles thought hard about what his mother had just said.

Ingrid looked out of the window at the grey, polluted fog that swirled around the buildings and thought, I’m not surprised, living here.

Nt5SQw.jpg

Again, she was transported back to her childhood home. She could almost taste the clean, fresh air coming down from the hills, in off the lake.

Ms8Gui.jpg

“I’ll have a chat to him when he gets here,” Charles said. “Where is he anyway?”

“I asked him if he’d pick Ingrid’s parents up from the station – I said I needed to do a bit of last-minute shopping before they arrived, and I’d meet them here, seeing as we’re all eating out in town tonight.”

ZR0d8h.jpg

“That’s James now. He’s picked your parents up, they’ve dropped their luggage off at our house, and they’re on their way. This time of day – it should only be about an hour in the traffic, he reckons.”

CCs2vF.jpg

“Thank you so much, Anne, for putting my parents up. Again! As you know, we just can’t fit them in here…”

HoWF67.jpg

“My dear, it’s a pleasure. Your mother is a darling. Your father has an inexhaustible fund of funny stories. We have a great time whenever they come to stay. It’s not a problem. But I do wish you could move somewhere larger. Philippa and Lydia were sounding off about sharing a room.”

0N2nxm.jpg

“It’s not that Pip and I don’t like each other,” Lydia had explained earnestly. “It’s just that we like different things.”

tMbl8L.jpg

“She’s right,” Philippa had said. “I mean all this painting and unicorns and magic castles. I’d rather be outside playing football.”

YA4A3p.jpg

“I know.” Anne’s very real sympathy encouraged Ingrid to open up. “I’d love to live somewhere with more space, better views, fresher air…And we could afford a bigger place, but only outside the city, not in it. Afford it in money, but not in time. Charles was called out twice last week. It took him ten minutes to get to the hospital from here. On foot. It could be an hour or more from outside the city, in a car.”

Anne nodded. “I know. It’s an insoluble problem, isn’t it?”

Bb3e8L.jpg

It was the last full day of Jake and Sigrid’s visit, and the whole family was going out together that evening. Charles wasn’t home from work yet, but Lydia and Philippa were back from school and attacking their homework with unusual enthusiasm.

“It has to be done before we go out – there won’t be time afterwards,” Ingrid had warned them.

Jake drew his daughter to one side.

“There’s something I’d like to run by you, before I mention it to Charles,” he said softly, but not softly enough. Lydia and Philippa pricked up their ears, exchanged a quick glance, and then very obviously Got On With Their Homework.

dwBLse.jpg

“There’s a job coming up at the hospital at home. I talked to someone – off the record, of course – but she said they’d love to have Charles apply for it. His experience, and his connections here, would be such a valuable addition to the hospital’s expertise. Plus,” Jake said, with the air of one providing a clincher, “the Petersen place is up for sale. Hillview House – you remember it, of course? The Petersens are moving to be near their children and grandchildren. They’d love to sell to someone local.”

Qf2tdw.jpg

“But the Petersen house is big!”

“Yes. The children could have a bedroom each.”

A bedroom each! Lydia’s eyes grew wide with excitement.

“And how would we furnish it?” Ingrid gestured round the small flat at the sum total of their furniture.

“They’re planning to sell a lot of the furniture – they don’t want such a big house when they move. And they’d much rather just sell it with the house than have to go to the bother of salerooms and auctions and so on. Much less hassle for them.”

Jake seemed to have thought of everything. He’d been planning this, hadn’t he? Ingrid knew her father.

nzagcP.jpg

Actually live in the country! Near Morfar and Mormor! That would be a dream come true, Philippa thought. Except for not seeing Grandma and Grandpa so often. That bit would be sad…

eTEzrj.jpg

Charles missed the evening out – he was called back into work unexpectedly. The girls were in bed and asleep by the time he came home, but everyone else was still there. Waiting. And then Jake told him the plan.

“I think that’s a brilliant idea! Thanks, Jake. I’ll apply for it as soon as the advert is out.”

Jake beamed, and Ingrid’s eyes lit up with joy.

“You’ve been talking about this between the four of you, haven’t you?” Charles glanced round at the four grandparents.

“Well, yes,” Sigrid said softly. “Your parents know you better than we do, so we sought their advice.”

5SIeCR.jpg

“And James and I have something to tell you as well. If you get the job…” Anne began.

“He will,” Jake interjected confidently.

“Then James and I are going to move there too. After what you said about his chest – the fresh air there would work wonders. And we’re still young enough and active enough to make new friends, to cope with this change. And we’d miss you all so much.”

“We’ll tell the girls tomorrow morning then.”

“We’ll be over for breakfast! Traffic or no traffic!”

0BoS55.jpg

There was no mistaking Philippa’s delight when she heard the news first thing the next morning. Go and live in the place that up to now had just been their summer visiting time? Nothing could be better. Except for not seeing Grandma and Grandpa so often…

S8r7Yq.jpg

“But we’re going to move there too,” Anne said to Lydia’s worried face. “We’re going to stay with Jake and Sigrid while we find a place of our own in the town. So you won’t miss seeing us.”

ZgnnDs.jpg

“Then everything is perfect,” Lydia said. And the others agreed with her.
    Post edited by ADWilson on
  • Options
    60smusicluvr60smusicluvr Posts: 1,982 Member
    @Adwilson, thank you for posting this on her behalf. *Hugs*

*Sigh* I can't believe it, @SamelaRita, but when I read the last sentence of this story, I found my eyes welled up with tears of happiness. What a lovely, strong, tight knit and supportive family. I <3 them and am eager to learn more!
  • Options
    Mystik1978Mystik1978 Posts: 1,613 Member
    Oh my! I see lots of gifts posted and it is only a little after midnight here!

@suzses First of all I am thrilled you got me as your buddy I am always in awe of your skills in story telling, sim making and building! Now I only allowed myself a tiny little peek right now because I want to get my first gift posted for my buddy but afterwards I promise to dig deeper into all of the amazing things you have already posted with a much more detailed thank you! Until then know the excitement is killing me so I must get to posting for my buddy right now!!!!
  • Options
    @SamelaRita How great for the girls to be able to grow up in the country and spend more time with their grandparents. I look forward to seeing their home. I hope Charles gets the job.
  • Options
    To: @MsPrissy88

SURPRISE!!
    Your Buddy is experiencing some technical difficulties (unfortunately!) and while things are getting sorted out (computer imps and typo monkeys are involved ... not a pretty sight!), here is a little something to keep you busy.

Margaret "Marge" Dolan and Daniel "Dan" Moore met at Sim U, becoming the best of friends. They decided to pool their income and share a place. Will living together work out? Will their relationship change?

screenshot-21.jpg

Download Links:
    Unskilled
    Partially Skilled

For a peek at outfits, skills & more (could the more include a hint?) please take a look at 2 BFs
  • Options
    equuestequuest Posts: 718 Member
    I still need to add a few finishing touches and finish a couple of bathrooms, then my gift is ready! :) I'm going to be away most of the day tomorrow, but I hope to get it uploaded tomorrow evening.
  • Options
    Front page posts and Excel spreadsheet are caught up to this point.
    Good night/morning ... goodbye for now.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top