Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Went back to The Sims 3

And it seems like the better game to me atm. My family there has been a long running save for the better part of a decade. It's weird, but it seems more like I'm playing with a family and it's a case of they do something and I think they liked doing that as kids etc. It's like they have a history (like a real family would) and a life story if you see what I'm saying. It's a case of they started from almost nothing (a tiny one bed) and now wealthy celebrities in the house that I built. Tried playing the same family in Sims 4 as a continuation of the story in a way, but it's not the same. It seems kind of empty and lifeless if you understand what I'm saying (like in 3, the oldest three just finished the first term of university after the oldest two previously tried and dropped out).

Anyway, feeling 3 is better than 4 atm. Anyone get what I'm saying or feel the same?

Comments

• EnjoyfulSimmerEnjoyfulSimmer Posts: 1,242 Member
    Okay.

No I'm not feeling this way. Never did.
    "Let Our Hearts And Hands Be Streched Out In Compassion Toward Others."
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    edited May 2019
    Neat. I find the poor performance of The Sims 3 -- combined with the ridiculous nature of vampires -- to be a major turn-off, but to each their own. May you have many hours of enjoyment playing a game that pleases you.
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    I'm glad you're feeling so good. This game has the wonderfull weird ability to make us fall in love again and again with it :)
    But answering your question, i don't. I actually feel the complete opposite.
    Simmers are so diverse, we like so many different stuff in the game, maybe what one like in the game is what other don't care that much and vice versa. Just enjoy :)
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    TS3 is a fun game so I don't blame you.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • TwicelikeyTwicelikey Posts: 176 Member
    I tried going back to TS3 but I just couldn't get back into it. Strangely I still prefer 4 over 3.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    It's a matter of taste really. To me sims 3 is the worst version so far. I didn't like much about it beyond the open world.
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    I play sims 2 3 and 4
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • EnjoyfulSimmerEnjoyfulSimmer Posts: 1,242 Member
    It's not strange :) I think Sims 4 is the most charming of them all the sims are so adorable in this one @Twicelikey

I honestly feel the same. Usually whenever people compare, they always talk about the tools sims 3 added. But the actual characters are more interesting and more believable in this one @Sharonia . There was also some misleading ads for sims 3 to make the Ai look more advanced than it was so when I bought the base game, I was like...this is really it?
    "Let Our Hearts And Hands Be Streched Out In Compassion Toward Others."
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    CursedDice wrote: »
    And it seems like the better game to me atm. My family there has been a long running save for the better part of a decade. It's weird, but it seems more like I'm playing with a family and it's a case of they do something and I think they liked doing that as kids etc. It's like they have a history (like a real family would) and a life story if you see what I'm saying. It's a case of they started from almost nothing (a tiny one bed) and now wealthy celebrities in the house that I built. Tried playing the same family in Sims 4 as a continuation of the story in a way, but it's not the same. It seems kind of empty and lifeless if you understand what I'm saying (like in 3, the oldest three just finished the first term of university after the oldest two previously tried and dropped out).

Anyway, feeling 3 is better than 4 atm. Anyone get what I'm saying or feel the same?

I still have Sims 3 installed on my systems and go back every now and then. I do not play Sims 4 these days and when I am not playing Sims 3 I play something other than Sims or do some productivity work.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Huiiie_07Huiiie_07 Posts: 1,200 Member
    I actually feel the same right now to be honest. I'm actually playing something like a legacy right now in TS3 - started with only one sim, fullfilled his lifetime wish, now have a family of seven and already have plans for the children as soon as they grow up. Couldn't start from zero in TS4, and the open world is a nice change from time to time, just have to make sure to not play in worlds that are too big to reduce lag.
    Origin ID: Huiiie_07

I like to build stuff
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,518 Member
    I kept trying to go back to 3, because it has so much in it. I loved the beaches and swimming in rivers and the sea, the rowing boats, riding horses, cast, the open world and so many many other things they added. But I can no longer do it. I totally uninstalled it.

I'm quite sad about that, but there is just something about 3 now that no longer appeals.

Same with sims 2. That was my favourite game of all time, I was totally addicted to it and played it far too much. I've tried a number of times to give it a good go, but given up.
  • jimmysnanjimmysnan Posts: 8,303 Member
    TS3 played horrible for me with a computer with much more than adequate specs....So I am hesitant to go anywhere near that game again. I like sims 2 if I am going back. But I have moved ahead and am liking what has been happening lately.
  • Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    I try so hard to go back but the lag and stuttering is unbearable and very much a turn off for me. I have a great mid range gaming desktop so it’s not my computer by any means, sims 4 plays wonderfully. I’d also probably enjoy it more if it didn’t take 8 minutes to load one save (I timed it) and it didn’t stutter and lag with every movement. The FPS is all over the place and makes playing it to me a very frustrating experience. Maybe one day I’ll figure out a solution for my current experience but for now sims 4 is my go to and preferred game. I honestly tend to prefer the sims and gameplay anyway in 4. I have really grown to adore sims 4 over the past year and a half. So even if sims 3 ran fine I’d probably still pick sims 4. But that’s just me.

I’m really glad you are enjoying sims 3. It’s a great game. Happy simming!
  • Destin2016Destin2016 Posts: 568 Member
    I’ve only played TS3 & 4, and to me, TS3 is the superior game. But I’m a big family player & I just love the toddlers in TS4. So, for now, I’m playing TS4.
    You like me because I'm a scoundrel. There aren't enough scoundrels in your life.
  • munroelemunroele Posts: 286 Member
    I have tried the Sims 3, an can't get past the look of the Sims. If it weren't for this (and my computer not being able to keep up) I might play it, but for now, I stick to The Sims 4. I much prefer the stylised look, but if I'm honest, I'd prefer to play the Sims 2, but with the Sims 4 look, some updates to the diversity of it and some updates to some of the gameplay features. That would be my ultimate Sims game.

But I am glad you're having fun :)
  • JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    edited May 2019
    I did that recently. Even created a world in CAW. I love Sims 3 as it has more context than 4 in my opinion and 4 can get boring. That's not to say that 4 won't get there as i'm sure with the EP's still to come. If 4 offered the same things 3 did, I'd probably not play 3 anymore as it does have a smoother game play. I am back to playing 4 now and have started a new family to see if I can't get to 10 generations. In an attempt to not make it get boring too fast I'm gonna try and get each generation to complete a collection and there will be no money cheats so they have to start with the bare minimum. In Sims 3 I always played with one family and just enjoyed everything the game has to offer with them. I do miss the things that Supernatural, University, and Island Paradise brought to the game as well as the careers and stuff that came with Showtime. So whenever I want to play those I will go play Sims 3.
    WbUrFQm.png
  • duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    Each different generation of this game has a special spot in my heart. That sounds corny...but its true. They are all unique in some way and, depending on my mood one is better than the other three. Not always the same one either.

As far as generational play, I tend to agree with you. I love(d) the generational play in Sims 3 because it just feels like watching a real life story unfold for whatever reason(s). I get frustrated with it though, because after 2-4 generations, most become virtually unplayable without heavy modding and save file fixing to debug them. Sims 4 doesn't feel as deep as Sims 3, but runs almost flawlessly on my machine and my save files don't tend to corrupt as quickly or as badly which is very appealing.

I understand what you mean about Sims 3, but I also value Sims 1, 2 and 4 for other reasons. I will say though, that Sims 3 is, of the 4 games, the more frustrating for me simply because it has so very many performance issues that almost have to be fixed by mods, that I will always feel the need to play the other three too.
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • CursedDiceCursedDice Posts: 978 Member
    Akl500P wrote: »
    I try so hard to go back but the lag and stuttering is unbearable and very much a turn off for me. I have a great mid range gaming desktop so it’s not my computer by any means, sims 4 plays wonderfully. I’d also probably enjoy it more if it didn’t take 8 minutes to load one save (I timed it) and it didn’t stutter and lag with every movement. The FPS is all over the place and makes playing it to me a very frustrating experience. Maybe one day I’ll figure out a solution for my current experience but for now sims 4 is my go to and preferred game. I honestly tend to prefer the sims and gameplay anyway in 4. I have really grown to adore sims 4 over the past year and a half. So even if sims 3 ran fine I’d probably still pick sims 4. But that’s just me.

I’m really glad you are enjoying sims 3. It’s a great game. Happy simming!

For me this is my experience:

The original laptop I had when I bought it would run it, but it would go to within an inch of its life to do it (it was not a gamer by any means). Eventually it would crash if I remember right, but a lot of the time it wouldn't' I also ran into lag issues initially.

My gaming PC replaced it and it just tanks through the game (as in it runs really well). It's rare that it runs into any glitches or issues with it. Sims 3 runs as smooth as it can considering how its animation is done. The initial load into my save takes forever though (and so does loading back in from university, or entering or exiting live mode/build mode), but that's because the lot is huge, has a lot on it and is the better part of a decade old. The university lots load real quick. I either don't get or notice lag issues here (possibly I got used to it) and I run the game for hours at a time. Not sure which

My MacBook Pro has also run Sims 3 (in build mode only though). It was the same lot from my main save. Ran it fine with no issues other than the accompanying heat and fan noise.
  • DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    All a matter of preference. That’s really all it comes down to. I could never return to TS3. I loved TS3, really, and do wish TS4 had some of its qualities, but my taste lies with TS4.
  • sunblondsunblond Posts: 1,035 Member
    I started playing Sims 4 about 6 months after it came out, having never played earlier versions, ok, ok I played Sims freeplay, whic made look into the PC version. Anyway, eventually I got Sims 3 and 2, but my playstyle had developed on 4, and the other versions required me to adapt to them.
    So, I still prefer 4, but I can now see how earlier versions appeal to someone who played them a lot. Playstyles are so unique, one version can easily match a person better than the others.
    Origin ID is: sobenewbie
  • LolaLuvsSimsLolaLuvsSims Posts: 1,826 Member
    I absolutely love TS3 but the cartoony look of TS4 has actually won me over, its so pretty. If i could find a mod that made TS3 prettier I'd go back too
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    munroele wrote: »
    I have tried the Sims 3, and can't get past the look of the Sims.

Same story here. I remember when it first came out, I popped the disc into my computer, loaded it up, and could not make it further than CAS before I took it out of my computer and let my sister play. Call me shallow but that's what happened... I have seen some amazing looking sims from the game on these forums, but I still haven't had any desire to start it up since then.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • becks1112becks1112 Posts: 919 Member
    I love TS3 and would like to play it much more often, but the game performance issues are prohibitive for me.
  • duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    becks1112 wrote: »
    I love TS3 and would like to play it much more often, but the game performance issues are prohibitive for me.

So much this. I'm starting to play it more now that I have a computer that can run all the NRAAS mods with it and not kill my performance. But even with all those mods and fixes, it just doesn't run that well. Sad really, because if it weren't for all those issues, I'd call Sims 3 my all time favorite Sims game. As it sets, Its a close race for me, between 2 and 4.
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    Everyone has their own idea of what they think is pretty. I think sims3 was prettier than sims4. I like something that is more realistic. The biggest problem I had with sims3 was it couldn't hold much before you started getting error 12. Other than that I loved it. I'm hoping sims5 will be more like sims3 without the problems.