Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Comments

• GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited June 2019
    The foundation is absolutely the problem with Sims 4. They took an online game, with features designed for playing in a multiplayer setting and retrofitted it for offline single player in like a year. That’s why Sims 4’s base game and it’s features are so dull, because they weren’t that important until multiplayer was dropped. I mean they literally advertised “stability” like it was some sort of feature, and not something you would expect from a brand new game.

I agree with your post, EA/Maxis figured why waste an project and build one from scratch thinking that would cost them money. EA/Maxis figured thier customers would not care too much being it name is the Sims and in some regards they are right as some are willing to accept what is given to them even if it is not on the same level as previous editions. Now you know all the silence that was happening(still happening) before the release of Sims 4. I may have brought the game but I will not be caught out there again for the next version if it sees the light of day. I learned to buy it's packs at low prices and not at full price as I feel why pay for packs that have less features and also for neighborhoods that I used to create myself or someone else for free. This how I feel while Sims 4 has improved in some areas it overall still feels like an grade B product that is better run on an tablet or Ipad. Every pack that has came out has been designed not to bring it's "A" game as EA/Maxis do not want to tamper with preformance and that is not good no matter how you spin it for me. If I was going to just play Sims 4 I would not spend top dollar to play it as it does not scale to your system specs for in this version case it treats all systems the same. I am sorry I just can't give props to an game that I feel is lacking. :#
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Hmmmm I look forward to what the future of Sims 4 has - To each their own I guess. LOL.!

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Imagine what it’s like for a player like me by the way, OP: The Sims 3 hasn’t lost its addictive power, it looks gorgeous and it runs fine on my decently powerful PC. I sometimes make myself play Sims 4 and I really enjoy it when I do, but I keep returning to the old game after a while because for me it’s just more enjoyable (in short, unlike Sims 4 I never go “what shall I do now” and “what shall I do next”, it all goes naturally; Sims 3 happens). And I simply can’t see that changing, not even when they keep adding stuff to it for the next 20 years. Because they’ll never be able to add the stuff that matters to me.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited June 2019
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Imagine what it’s like for a player like me by the way, OP: The Sims 3 hasn’t lost its addictive power, it looks gorgeous and it runs fine on my decently powerful PC. I sometimes make myself play Sims 4 and I really enjoy it when I do, but I keep returning to the old game after a while because for me it’s just more enjoyable (in short, unlike Sims 4 I never go “what shall I do now” and “what shall I do next”, it all goes naturally; Sims 3 happens). And I simply can’t see that changing, not even when they keep adding stuff to it for the next 20 years. Because they’ll never be able to add the stuff that matters to me.

Exactly if an program is just built on content outside of having no major features and can't use an system specs freely(Scaling) it becomes dry and boring after awhile for me. Also the ability to have the ultimate creativity is very limited as I can't create as I see fit.
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • XiraiyaXiraiya Posts: 38 Member
    edited May 2019
    What I find interesting is how many different and varied relationship "bits" there are in the game, quite alot of interesting ones you can see with MCCC etc. But I never really see them get utilized by the game or have any clue what they actually do, there are some varied and different romance related ones outside of "soulmate" etc. but with all the different relationships I've seen between sims, good and bad, I've never seen the game actually make use of these bits in the circumstances that they would logically make sense and I assume most of them wouldn't affect behavior too much anyhow.

So I have no idea what's going on there with that stuff.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    I think the problem is that traits are being gradually introduced into the game a few at a time in various Pack expansions and are not fully developed because they will have to match up with even later ones.
    eg: squeamish, vegetarian, insider, self absorbed and paranoid. I would like more depth to them also.
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member
    Simburian wrote: »
    I think the problem is that traits are being gradually introduced into the game a few at a time in various Pack expansions and are not fully developed because they will have to match up with even later ones.
    eg: squeamish, vegetarian, insider, self absorbed and paranoid. I would like more depth to them also.

Traits serve as emotion triggers and that’s about it. The whole concept is poorly executed in Sims 4, doesn’t matter how they’re added they won’t do much beyond spawning an emotion buff. They don’t have anywhere close to the depth traits had in Sims 3 and that’s never going to change for this game.
  • XiraiyaXiraiya Posts: 38 Member
    edited June 2019
    I resent the fact that after years of playing this game, the most interesting generated Sim I've seen in any of my saves was a Vampire with "Withered Stomach" but also the Glutton trait.

So it gave the appearance of a person who isn't very smart and is constantly trying to eat and steal your food when they visit and then keeps getting sick and trying to eat more in spite of that. It was ridiculous and dumb behavior but it was the most... unique? I'd seen a Sim be because she was always doing something, granted it was the same two things but it made her seem more lively than most sims just with that conflict going on. It was great.

Because 90% of the time regardless of traits, Sims just kind of exist, there are differences in behavior with traits but they're generally negligible differences.

Choosing your traits should be essentially carving out a personality for a Sim and inform almost everything they do autonomously. That stuff should show through a lot more clearly when you leave them to their own devices, at least more clearly than what we currently get. Maybe someday in a Sims 5 they'll think about this stuff.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    TS2 had more interesting sims even in base version than this one has 5 years in. We had aspirations that served as the umbrella over all the rest, 5 traits and 25 points to spend on them in whatever way we wanted-which made for some interesting characters, wants and fears, 20 or so interests, all of which combined to make a very varied and interesting sims pool. The attraction system, which played off the above, added more depth to the sims. Relationship levels between sims actually had consequences, from passionate loving to knock-down-drag-out brawls anywhere at any time. If sim A did sim B really nasty, there was a rage state that overlaid the relationship, that state took a long time to cool down, and there were ongoing consequences. Sims would show you when their needs were tanking by their behavior, no need to look at the status bar. It was far richer, gritty, more life-like. That is what, for me, makes TS2 the best version. All the other extensive goodies it has (such as being able to build genuine Victorian houses, your own private fishing hole...) are simply icing on the cake
  • adduapinaadduapina Posts: 556 Member
    Very good arguments and well written post @Xiraiya. Awesome. I agree with you. Thanks for taking time to write it out! :heart:

I'm really sad about some of the new releases. Island Living is an exception. I like it because I love the ability to swim and build on sea. But for example I have truly and utterly regretted spending my money on StrangerVille. After once playing the story (which I don't feel like belongs in this game) I really don't want to do it again on my other saves. So I can't live on StrangerVille because I hate those zombiesims that walk around there. :disappointed:
    origin ID: adduapina
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    TS2 had more interesting sims even in base version than this one has 5 years in. We had aspirations that served as the umbrella over all the rest, 5 traits and 25 points to spend on them in whatever way we wanted-which made for some interesting characters, wants and fears, 20 or so interests, all of which combined to make a very varied and interesting sims pool. The attraction system, which played off the above, added more depth to the sims. Relationship levels between sims actually had consequences, from passionate loving to knock-down-drag-out brawls anywhere at any time. If sim A did sim B really nasty, there was a rage state that overlaid the relationship, that state took a long time to cool down, and there were ongoing consequences. Sims would show you when their needs were tanking by their behavior, no need to look at the status bar. It was far richer, gritty, more life-like. That is what, for me, makes TS2 the best version. All the other extensive goodies it has (such as being able to build genuine Victorian houses, your own private fishing hole...) are simply icing on the cake
    I think this has become part of the problem, us thinking that the basegame shouldn’t necessarily be as perfect as can be. That we expect basic things like sims being interesting (sims, this whole game is about sims, it’s even named after them) not necessarily being a basegame thing. Sims in Sims 2’s basegame were more interesting, because they didn’t think like that yet back in those days. They created a basegame with everything essential in it (interesting sims) and the rest was, like you justly put it, icing on the cake.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • knuckledusterknuckleduster Posts: 1,268 Member

Great post.

A game that came out 15 years ago, fundamentally still has more to offer than this shinier version.

• yumikayumika Posts: 1 New Member
    i'm not sure where to drop this but i really miss some CAS options like favourite food,music, colour which makes a sim more individual. I also got the idea to change the height of sims in CAS just like muscles and fat, it would be awesome ! hope EA reads this
  • LuvMySimzLuvMySimz Posts: 642 Member
    edited July 2019
    adduapina wrote: »
    Very good arguments and well written post @Xiraiya. Awesome. I agree with you. Thanks for taking time to write it out! :heart:

I'm really sad about some of the new releases. Island Living is an exception. I like it because I love the ability to swim and build on sea. But for example I have truly and utterly regretted spending my money on StrangerVille. After once playing the story (which I don't feel like belongs in this game) I really don't want to do it again on my other saves. So I can't live on StrangerVille because I hate those zombiesims that walk around there. :disappointed:

I feel the same about StrangerVille. I have not even played the story nor did I visit the town yet. I only purchased the pack (on sale) for the Military Career and for some furniture lol. Hate the rest. I think there is a mod out which stops the story thing and zombies. If I‘m not mistaken it‘s from TwistedMexi.

ETA: Just checked and yes, it is.
    Here is the link. It‘s public free.
    https://www.patreon.com/posts/story-toggle-25231713
    „ - Criticism may not be agreeable, but it's sometimes necessary - “

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited July 2019
    To my knowledge there is nothing to look forward to in the near future but that silly, unwanted stuff pack they are going to release this summer. Then another long wait for a possible GP (or will it too be sold at EP price) Realm of Magic, which may or may not even have wizards and or witches in it. The dread of another big change to the game (like the hated rebrand) or something else in a 'free' patch that upsets players. (like the time they removed auto save)
    It's not all that bright future as far as players are concerned. Looking back on the last three packs, SV, GF, and IL, where things didn't even work as they should have, and or been as full as players expected, I have little hope I will even want Realm of Magic now.
    And I sure know I won't be buying that stuff pack with a rehashed fashion career track that could have all been put into one fashion career for stylist and the like, and piecemealing all those parts of one career out to get people to buy some clothes, is a bit much in my opinion. But then MFPstuff comes to mind.

ETA: But then it didn't bother anyone but me when in Seasons when Sims reach down to gather snow (flat paint) their hands don't even go into or reach the 'snow'. So, yeah, not an amazing five years so far. And what does that remind me of? Sims lips not even touching when they kiss in TS4. But no problem to slide through another Sim on the sidewalk. Go figure.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    More proof that the current team is more committed to cosmetics and politics than a solid in-depth gaming experience.
  • Harbringerof_BoredomHarbringerof_Boredom Posts: 12 New Member
    I agree. I’m technically not new to the sims franchise, as I have played FreePlay for years. When I finally bought sims 4, I realized pretty quickly that it had next to no spontaneity, and no story would unfold whatsoever if I didn’t make it happen. I think I’ll install some mods to fix that, but I wish it was in the base game.
  • emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,110 Member
    Bagoas77 wrote: »
    My first thoughts when I initially played ts4 in September 2014: Where is everything? Why is this so godawful bad!? What have they done!?!?! Oh... this is plum.

^MmmHmm!

9K9M.gif

Exactly!

To the OP: Well said. :star: I pretty much agree with everything you said, except for the fact that Sims 3 sims are ugly. AND I've never played Sims 4 since the day it was released. I only lasted about an hour on there. It was too much of a step back and a disappointment for me. :pensive:
    It's truly sad indeed that EA has not improved on it (In terms of AI and sims personalities) by now. My sympathies go to everyone who loves the game, and especially if it's the game that's first introduced them to the Sims franchise. {{{{Hugs}}}}

It may very well be wishful thinking at this point, but I still hold out hope for a Sims 5. Where they put the players wishes first and incorporate all the BEST features from previous iterations of the game:
    Sims 2: Turn ons/turn offs - tons of sims on community lots - sweet, upbeat music while in Build/Buy mode!
    Sims 3: Open world - No loading screens - Color and pattern everything via the color wheel - Story Progression! (But WAY improved upon!)
    Sims 4: Awesome CAS slider features - Incredible build mode features.

^It's that simple EA. It really is. And you'll make a killing $$$ on it if you do!!! :star:
    #SIMS5DONERIGHT
    (Just DO NOT add in Loot Boxes or Microtransactions or make it only playable on a phone or tablet or something! :angry: )

**steps off soap box**
    52607642900_bbbac3a314_c.jpg
  • emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,110 Member
    edited October 2019
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

^Amen. :star:

A game that came out 15 years ago, fundamentally still has more to offer than this shinier version.

@knuckleduster ^RIGHT!? :star:

More proof that the current team is more committed to cosmetics and politics than a solid in-depth gaming experience.

@Oldeseadogge ^YES! Oh my gosh yes! :unamused:

tenor.gif?itemid=5789103
    52607642900_bbbac3a314_c.jpg
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited October 2019
    I agree. I’m technically not new to the sims franchise, as I have played FreePlay for years. When I finally bought sims 4, I realized pretty quickly that it had next to no spontaneity, and no story would unfold whatsoever if I didn’t make it happen. I think I’ll install some mods to fix that, but I wish it was in the base game.

@Harbringerof_Boredom I highly recommend you try TS2 or TS3, especially if you are new to the PC games. You'll be lost for hours or even days :lol:
  • Harbringerof_BoredomHarbringerof_Boredom Posts: 12 New Member
    > @Sk8rblaze said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > @Harbringerof_Boredom I highly recommend you try TS2 or TS3, especially if you are new to the PC games. You'll be lost for hours or even days :lol:

Thats the plan lol, though sadly I can really only spend an hour or so a day on sims. :neutral:
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    ]

@Harbringerof_Boredom I highly recommend you try TS2 or TS3, especially if you are new to the PC games. You'll be lost for hours or even days :lol:

Weeks. ;)
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Cynna wrote: »
    ]

Weeks. ;)
    Years.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    Cynna wrote: »
    ]

Weeks. ;)
    Years.

:D
    I3Ml5Om.jpg