Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Family Relationships Still Need Work

NoWayJose527NoWayJose527 Posts: 1,456 Member
I love this game, and it gets better with each new expansion pack, game pack, or stuff pack. When Sims 4 began, it lacked a lot, so I have to say, it's come a long way. Despite all the game improvements and new ideas implemented, though, there is one area where the game really needs a bit of work, IMHO. That's "family relationships."

Earlier in my game, a sim's son called her and invited her over. That was nice, but when she got there, she had to introduce herself to each of her three grandchildren. Seriously? This is nothing new. It has always irritated me. Surely this game can do better at noting family relationships, even the extended variety. Grandparents should not have to introduce themselves to their grandkids. In-laws should not have to introduce themselves to their grown children's spouses, other than one time. Cousins should know that they are related.

On a similar note, when sims get married and plan a wedding event, they should be able to invite guests from both the bride's side and the groom's side. I also think it should be possible to "invite a household" over with a simple phone call. When a new baby arrives, it would be fun to have the grandparents come to see the new arrival, but as often as not, the new mother can't call her husband's mother because they haven't been introduced and/or they aren't friends.

As much as I love this game (I've played since the early days of The Sims) I do get frustrated by something that seems so simple, so logical, and so necessary.

What are your thoughts?

Post edited by NoWayJose527 on

Comments

• LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member
    I completely agree with everything you said. It's rather annoying when the Sim who plans a party must absolutely know every single guest you wanna invite... it's not just with weddings either. For example, I hate when my adult Sim is throwing a birthday party for their child, but can only invite the friends he/she personally knows. In Sims 3, this wasn't really an issue... because throwing a party meant you can invite anyone (as long as SOMEONE in your household knows them). I miss that.
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
    Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    I agree 100%.
  • Becka28Becka28 Posts: 1,870 Member
    I agree with all of the above. My children's parties never have children attend because the adults don't know them. Relationship decay should not affect families so that they disappear from your friends list. I would like to be able to invite my friend's spouses to dinner parties and weddings etc as zIZ would in real life (even if I haven't met them yet).
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    As always I agree. Better personalities please.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • RoboSpongieRoboSpongie Posts: 1,042 Member
    I agree with all the listed notes, it's very obnoxious
    = Sims Player for 17+ Years =
    tumblr_inline_nsj7xjgkAi1rrkf1x_500.gif
  • birdonawirebirdonawire Posts: 399 Member
    edited May 2019
    I agree with everything!!
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    Agreed.

Another thing I hate is when in-laws flirt with each other. I like to have generations of one family under the same roof but sooner or later, mam wants to get it on with her husband's father! Ewwwww!
  • AmandèleAmandèle Posts: 378 Member
    I completely agree with you! I always thought it would be nice if they added the possibility to «ask about family» or «talk about family members». That way, friends as well as relatives could get to know my Sim's family members.

I find it highly unrealistic that my Sim's friends don't know their siblings and parents, because irl, even if they hadn't met yet they would have heard of each other, wouldn't they?
    Sorry for the mistakes, English is not my first language ^^'
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,518 Member
    edited May 2019
    Absolutely. In my game, one of my sims has a child with an ex-wife and also an ex-girlfriend. He's become friends with his ex-wife again (I got sick of reintroducing them), but because he fell out with his ex-girlfriend he has to re-introduce himself to her every time I rotate back to his house. Would he really forget someone he'd had a baby with?
  • LindsaySeddon1LindsaySeddon1 Posts: 284 Member
    ...On a similar note, when sims get married and plan a wedding event, they should be able to invite guests from both the bride's side and the groom's side. I also think it should be possible to "invite a household" over with a simple phone call. When a new baby arrives, it would be fun to have the grandparents come to see the new arrival, but as often as not, the new mother can't call her husband's mother because they haven't been introduced and/or they aren't friends.

Yes! I especially want this! You should be able to invite anyone in your family tree, regardless if you've met them, and should be able to invite from both sides.
  • ThePocketWeaselThePocketWeasel Posts: 103 Member
    Amandèle wrote: »
    I completely agree with you! I always thought it would be nice if they added the possibility to «ask about family» or «talk about family members». That way, friends as well as relatives could get to know my Sim's family members.

I find it highly unrealistic that my Sim's friends don't know their siblings and parents, because irl, even if they hadn't met yet they would have heard of each other, wouldn't they?

I really like this idea. It could be similar to the 'get to know' option where you might get a notification saying "[sim name] has learned about [other sim's name]'s brother, [name of sim]' and then you'd see the sim in their relationship tab.
  • AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    I agree with the inviting point. I think whoever the host knows those people should show up to be invited. So when I select to have multiple hosts, everyone both hosts know should show up and they don’t. For hosts it should just select the household and everyone that the household knows should be able to be selected.
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• Destin2016Destin2016 Posts: 568 Member
    I agree 100%. One of the most irritating problems in the game, imo.
    You like me because I'm a scoundrel. There aren't enough scoundrels in your life.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,284 Member
    I agree. I've tried to throw weddings but unless the one setting it up hasn't formally introduced themselves to their intended's family, you get a one-sided guest-list. I really love the notion of being able to invite over a household. That would solve many problems. And I think it fitting that grandparents should come to call, or as they do with birthdays, send a gift at the very least.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    I do think family should know each other. Yes there is a chance you need to introduce grandparents to grandkids if they haven't seen each other in years, but overall they should know each other, same with siblings.

For example, My Abby moved out of the house before her sister Heidi was born. But She came and visited the home EVERY SINGLE DAY while Heidi was a baby, toddler and child. They had dinner together, etc. But I guess they didn't speak because at Heidi's birthday to become a teenager I wanted Abby to wish her a happy birthday and they HAD TO BE INTRODUCED. So frustrating. They are siblings who, while they may not have spoken, they saw each other every day of Heidi's entire life and you're telling me they have no idea who the other is?

Also what about my identical twin toddlers Brandon And Carlos who were suddenly grumpy to meet a new unwanted sibling? Each other! They were twins, but because babies are objects the game decided they had never seen each other until they were toddlers. (Despite their bassinets being right beside each other)

I love Sims 4, It's my favourite game, but this could definitely be improved.
  • JC1979JC1979 Posts: 491 Member
    Agreed, I also would like when adult children visit their parents and they help with the cooking or decide to take a nap/sleep at their parent’s home, that they are just welcomed without needing a “special reward/trait” to make it ok—after all they used to live with them and do all those things before making a family of their own.
  • FanPhoriaFanPhoria Posts: 1,655 Member
    Agreed. I don't have much to add other than that, lol. And I don't think it would be THAT hard to fix? Couldn't we have the option to view other household members (and in the case of weddings, the fiance's) contacts when planning an event? And sure, maybe you need to introduce once, but family and in-laws should NOT be available for relationship culling. Even if it's a low relationship, they should never FORGET each other. The in-law flirting bugs me too, as I also often have multiple generations who are all very close. Like, MAYBE it should happen, but there should be a much lower chance, and a much greater chance of rejection/embarrassment.

And actually, while we're at it...have you noticed that only one sim can adopt, and sims can't adopt together? I had a sim who had a live in boyfriend, and they were BASICALLY married, but they weren't really the type to make it official. She adopted a child, and there was no way other than cheats to make her boyfriend the official "father" unless they got married, and then he'd be a step-father. Why couldn't they adopt as a couple? Cause I've had flirting happen with adult adopted or alien abduction children and the "other" parent, even tho they've effectively been that child's second parent their whole lives.
  • Susim62Susim62 Posts: 225 Member
    Couldn't agree more!
    I even have MCCC set to no relationship culling, but still have to reintroduce in-laws, cousins etc, even though I know they have met and interacted many times before at family events.
    What makes it more annoying is that the game will give my sims relationships to random townies, and I don't see the point of that.

And weddings...even though I make sure my engaged sims meet each others parents, when it comes time for the wedding invitations either the bride or grooms parents can't be invited, because they are not known to the sim planning the wedding :/