Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

High Chair Question

All righty, A question here. I haven't played with having a toddler in a while but I don't remember not being able to feed them things applesauce, peas, chicken nuggets, etc... without having the high chair. I didn't use the high chair because of how exasperating it was to use. I'm also having issues getting the toddler fed because the option to pick up serving for toddler or feed toddler doesn't show up in any of the menus. Actually, sometimes it shows up but it's greyed out.

So, question(s)
1: Is this a bug or do I need the high chair to feed those quick items, pick up serving, or feed?
2: How do you get around it? I thought about possibly putting it behind a wall last time I was in-game. I wonder if I did that though if the parent sim would have the 'can't get there' animation.

"Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" -Auntie Mame

Comments

• DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    I'm not sure that a sim can feed the toddler without the high chair. But you can. If you drag leftovers out of the fridge, or have a sim make a meal (including the quick ones) and then cancel eating it so they leave it on a counter or table, you can direct the toddler to eat it.
  • joRN1414joRN1414 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Daephene wrote: »
    I'm not sure that a sim can feed the toddler without the high chair. But you can. If you drag leftovers out of the fridge, or have a sim make a meal (including the quick ones) and then cancel eating it so they leave it on a counter or table, you can direct the toddler to eat it.

That's how I've managed to keep the toddler from being taken away so far. I just don't remember using a high chair much when I was playing with it.

Another thing I've noticed too, and this is a recent thing (after cats and dogs was released but before this last month) My adults used to spontaneously go to the fridge and have a bowl of peas or applesauce. This was without a high chair in the house. I did have 2 children and a cat the last time I remember it happening though.
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    Yes, all the toddler foods are available as 'quick meals' from the fridge. As Daephene states, you can't feed them directly to the toddler, however - you have to tell an adult to eat a quick meal, then cancel the action and let the toddler take the food from the table or counter. I haven't had much success with that - it's hard to cancel it before the Sim takes a bite, and then there isn't much left for the toddler.

Toddlers can eat anything, however (except for spicy foods from the CL festival). If you make a family serving of spaghetti, the toddler can grab a plate from the counter. (I like the superfood salad - one plate in the morning and another before bed seems to be just the right amount for all Sims, including toddlers.)
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • joRN1414joRN1414 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Ok, so I do have a bug then. Good to know. I'll repair everything and see if it works its way out.
  • kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    yeah, all the toddler food options becoming quick meals available to all households was in one of the patches this past year, though i forget which. all i know is some of my sims that i refuse to allow to learn cooking live off of ham sandwiches or pb&j sandwiches...

and the feeding toddlers thing can be tricky without high chairs, but i despise high chairs so never put them in my houses or restaurants. it mostly becomes a matter of placing a meal on the ground or a table and making the toddler grab a serving, themselves

(also, on the having an adult sim grab a quick meal that you want them to feed to a toddler, i have zero qualms about pausing the game as soon as they close the fridge, shift clicking on the sim and resetting them, so the food appears at their feet without a single bite taken out)
  • CaleSimsCaleSims Posts: 196 Member
    What I do is make family or party meals. That way, any time your toddler is hungry, you can just pull it out of the fridge and have them grab a serving.
    tumblr_inline_myy9221NKN1rkh0l2.gif
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    Toddlers can eat any food your sims cook minus the spicy food from City Living. So they can just grab a serving if the food is out.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641