Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What can be done to fix sims themselves?

Comments

• Options
    BreeNillaBreeNilla Posts: 160 Member
    One thing I always wondered about was the difference between the Young Adult and Adult life stages. The Sims 3 Generations kinda started to make them different by making Adults more of a middle-age sort of thing and giving them midlife crises and stuff, but I wish the sims 4, being a sequel, would've expanded on that.

I know it's been said many times before, but Teens through Elders are the same thing with the exception of Teens going to school instead of work (and character values with parenthood installed) and Elders dying if they try to do anything physical. A Generations-type pack would be the perfect opportunity to fix at least this problem, but Grant mentioned he wants to tackle the age groups separately, if at all. Plus, that's core game stuff that should actually be in a free patch.

Unrelated, but I've been playing recently and I wanted to have 2 very stoic parents with playful kids so I gave the parents the Snob trait. As you can imagine, it didn't work and they all get along very well. It's super frustrating, haha! I want a Serious/No Sense of Humor trait!
    8a597ff0f1eef1830795b3ae467ad12c6bb980ae.jpg
    I made a Sims 4 Save File set 15 years into the future using the premade sims by giving them family trees, storylines and lore, fixed and added relationships, and more!
    Check it out here! -> kookablarn.tumblr.com
  • Options
    TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    BreeNilla wrote: »
    One thing I always wondered about was the difference between the Young Adult and Adult life stages. The Sims 3 Generations kinda started to make them different by making Adults more of a middle-age sort of thing and giving them midlife crises and stuff, but I wish the sims 4, being a sequel, would've expanded on that.

I know it's been said many times before, but Teens through Elders are the same thing with the exception of Teens going to school instead of work (and character values with parenthood installed) and Elders dying if they try to do anything physical. A Generations-type pack would be the perfect opportunity to fix at least this problem, but Grant mentioned he wants to tackle the age groups separately, if at all. Plus, that's core game stuff that should actually be in a free patch.

Unrelated, but I've been playing recently and I wanted to have 2 very stoic parents with playful kids so I gave the parents the Snob trait. As you can imagine, it didn't work and they all get along very well. It's super frustrating, haha! I want a Serious/No Sense of Humor trait!

If he did mentions he wanted to make them separate, remember that the team is huge and grant was the only one of the team. Remember also that we have an engagement team, where they can patch new content to anything they like, (Theypatch freebies that are huge request from the community such as Toddlers, Terrain Tools, CAS update, New World, etc.) so if the feedback they got shows so many people wanted the teen lifestage to be overhauled then they can do it, there was even a poll of it on Twitter last year. However Teen overhaul is not the only thing people wanted, there are deeper personalities, cars, etc. and they have to prioritize and choose one to work with, to be released. Who knows, every year we got one big content update from the engagement team, and who knows what that huge freebie would be this 2019.

Wgat grant said is his opinion and always remember that sometimes it dosen't represent the Studio as a whole if he was asked things like what would you do in content A?, or similar like that. For example, he dislikes having cats irl, but it dosen't mean that the team would remove cats in EP04. The Cat lovers such as SimGuruLyndsy also give out their opinions on development on how to balance the rescources for Cats and Dogs. The game is created not just by the feedback from the fans but also from them.

Will they patch teens content in the BG?Are they going to be in a GP or EP? Who knows? Only time for tell. For me however I would love the teen overhaul to happen. It will not just give the lifestage depth, but also their personality.
  • Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    It was not for this month patch. :(
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    NAPK1NSNAPK1NS Posts: 116 Member
    edited April 2019
    It’d be amazing if we could see the return of memories so I can keep looking back at what has happened during my sim’s journey

Not that it really matters, could it’d be super cool if we could get a dream machine so we can live out our sim’s dreams and nightmares, seeing as the game is somewhat lacking in its supernatural/mystical element, with the kind of dream being effective by emotions and recent experience. It’d add more depth to them I think.
  • Options
    NAPK1NS wrote: »
    It’d be amazing if we could see the return of memories so I can keep looking back at what has happened during my sim’s journey

Not that it really matters, could it’d be super cool if we could get a dream machine so we can live out our sim’s dreams and nightmares, seeing as the game is somewhat lacking in its supernatural/mystical element, with the kind of dream being effective by emotions and recent experience. It’d add more depth to them I think.

Couldn't agree more with you, I just hope I won't have to wait a full year to have my complex sims.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    sazzieJ wrote: »
    this isnt so much to do with the 'sims themselves' but one way we could improve various sims in 3 was the skill journal. its something i miss alot and was a favourite feature of sims 3 for me.

while it didnt change the simselves alot in some aspects it added depth and difference. it also gave something to work towards on an individual sim, especially if aging is off.

for me if they brought it back, it would be a small step on the road of improvement

The skill journal? I don't know what is it, never experienced this in TS3. :open_mouth:
    It looks like this:

skilljournal.gif

5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    MsKatieRoseMsKatieRose Posts: 672 Member
    Much improved Sims interaction is needed. For example, It is frustrating when one Sim is visiting the other and the one invited is left alone while the other goes off to another room entirely. Or if they go as a group some place, the other Sim's just disappear within minutes of arriving there. Lastly, I also hate that with CL's street gallery, when other Sims come by not only will they not buy during a yard sale because of a bug (EA will not fix) but they also go into the Sim's house and start eating their food, using their computer, and won't leave until the Sim (holding the yard sale) makes them leave.
    Always be your unapologetically and authentic self
  • Options
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    sazzieJ wrote: »
    this isnt so much to do with the 'sims themselves' but one way we could improve various sims in 3 was the skill journal. its something i miss alot and was a favourite feature of sims 3 for me.

while it didnt change the simselves alot in some aspects it added depth and difference. it also gave something to work towards on an individual sim, especially if aging is off.

for me if they brought it back, it would be a small step on the road of improvement

The skill journal? I don't know what is it, never experienced this in TS3. :open_mouth:
    It looks like this:

skilljournal.gif

I never really played with it, I'll do it the next time I open my game.
    Much improved Sims interaction is needed. For example, It is frustrating when one Sim is visiting the other and the one invited is left alone while the other goes off to another room entirely. Or if they go as a group some place, the other Sim's just disappear within minutes of arriving there. Lastly, I also hate that with CL's street gallery, when other Sims come by not only will they not buy during a yard sale because of a bug (EA will not fix) but they also go into the Sim's house and start eating their food, using their computer, and won't leave until the Sim (holding the yard sale) makes them leave.

Yeah, it's the reason why we need same options as doors for objects (this computer belong to.../ give the access to X sim etc).
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    BreeNillaBreeNilla Posts: 160 Member
    edited April 2019
    TS1299 wrote: »
    Wgat grant said is his opinion and always remember that sometimes it dosen't represent the Studio as a whole if he was asked things like what would you do in content A?, or similar like that. For example, he dislikes having cats irl, but it dosen't mean that the team would remove cats in EP04. The Cat lovers such as SimGuruLyndsy also give out their opinions on development on how to balance the rescources for Cats and Dogs. The game is created not just by the feedback from the fans but also from them.
    True, Grant's mentioned things he'd prefer not to do that has been done, so his word's not ~final~. I just brought it up because it's the only thing we've heard about that subject.

LittleMsSam has a mod out called Personal Objects that allows you to set computers, tablets, laptops, musical instruments and the easel to a specific sim and even have it shared with other sims.

[Removed reference to Adult mod.] ~Rtas

But I know not everyone likes using mods
    Post edited by EA_Rtas on
    8a597ff0f1eef1830795b3ae467ad12c6bb980ae.jpg
    I made a Sims 4 Save File set 15 years into the future using the premade sims by giving them family trees, storylines and lore, fixed and added relationships, and more!
    Check it out here! -> kookablarn.tumblr.com
  • Options
    Sorry I didn't make a summary, I haven't had that enough time this week. I'll try to do one the next time. :smile: Still hoping our request will be heard at some point!
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    Kniga_SitaraKniga_Sitara Posts: 414 Member
    I'm so desperate. utterly desperate.
    no reaction from simsgurus. they do not care? I no longer believe that they will fix the sims personality.

The sims Four will be here for the next three years. So Four years ať least for new (I Hope better Sims)
    I'm sorry I bought the game (TS4). Because the sims, the empty and false personalities, are so bored and lead to despair!
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    I'm so desperate. utterly desperate.
    no reaction from simsgurus. they do not care? I no longer believe that they will fix the sims personality.

The sims Four will be here for the next three years. So Four years ať least for new (I Hope better Sims)
    I'm sorry I bought the game (TS4). Because the sims, the empty and false personalities, are so bored and lead to despair!

It's the reason why I gave it up for my summaries. They do not care, no answer, nothing. I gave up...
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    I’m not sure if they don’t care, personally I think they made a miscalculation when they introduced the emotion system. Thinking it would make sims more lively (and it does in a way) but overlooking the fact it would destroy the personality system, make traits useless. And I could imagine it’s just too complex now to do something about it. Especially when at the same time they know they can’t do too much about that emotion system because there are fans who like that and wouldn’t want it removed. For me it’s one of the main reasons I can never really get into the game or feel attached to my sims.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    I’m not sure if they don’t care, personally I think they made a miscalculation when they introduced the emotion system. Thinking it would make sims more lively (and it does in a way) but overlooking the fact it would destroy the personality system, make traits useless. And I could imagine it’s just too complex now to do something about it. Especially when at the same time they know they can’t do too much about that emotion system because there are fans who like that and wouldn’t want it removed. For me it’s one of the main reasons I can never really get into the game or feel attached to my sims.

I hope it's true, I really want to fully enjoy TS4 but for this, I need to get my improved personalities & behaviour.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    godfatheroz2godfatheroz2 Posts: 87 Member
    I mentioned this another thread, but it would go well here...
    I would like to see extended family relationship improved. I just noticed that familial relationships need an overhaul. I guess I never noticed before because I don't tend to stick with one family for too long, but one of my sims could potentially have a romantic relationship with her uncle. This is extremely disturbing and do not understand why this can not be fixed. It is listed as her uncle in the relationship panel, but she can have romantic relations with him? Cmon now. lol Sims 2 had a great family system, I am sure Sims 3 did as well, I just do not remember.
  • Options
    I talked about better personalities in the survey, hope they will read it!
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member
    I talked about better personalities in the survey, hope they will read it!

I did too!
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    So, thinking about this today...when your Sim plays with a toddler, the adult gets an 'uncomfortable' moodlet from sore muscles and the toddler gets a 'sad' moodlet from too much rough housing. As we all know, neither one will actually change the overall mood unless there are very few other things affecting their mood.

However, it's more than that. I don't just want a moodlet, I want a reaction from the Sim. Maybe a little sick-up from the toddler (that used to be one of the hazards of playing too much with a baby or toddler in previous Sims). I don't just want a generic mood, I want a specific reaction to whatever generated the moodlet. I think they've actually done moods pretty well, so long as positive moods don't override the negative ones all the time. I like the different walks, the groans, and even the happy little skips when a Sim has good reason to be happy. Or the kid or teen crying in her sleep over a grandparent who has died. Those are nice touches.

I guess I want a specific reaction to things that affect more than mood. I mean, the right decorating can certainly put you in a 'focused' or 'creative' mood. However, no matter how beautiful my surroundings might be, I'm still going to yawn if I'm working on a boring task or I'm tired.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    I still think they will do this even not hinting. They never respond or comment to most threads, even on Vampires ideas threads yer we see them came. There is hope.

Side Note, I miss having the "Ask a Guru" thread in the forums. They can answer every commennt that had questions. They can give very detailed response on their posts since there is no character limit, yet it feeld like they only focus on twitter. I remember back when I was just a lurker in the forums in 2016 there is quite a lot of gurus responding even at simple threads. Or even answering questions. Wish some of them can stop by here even if there is no pack is available.
  • Options
    I still think they will do this even not hinting. They never respond or comment to most threads, even on Vampires ideas threads yer we see them came. There is hope.

Side Note, I miss having the "Ask a Guru" thread in the forums. They can answer every commennt that had questions. They can give very detailed response on their posts since there is no character limit, yet it feeld like they only focus on twitter. I remember back when I was just a lurker in the forums in 2016 there is quite a lot of gurus responding even at simple threads. Or even answering questions. Wish some of them can stop by here even if there is no pack is available.

I would love more communications as well here. When I post something on the forum I always have the feeling like none of the SimGurus will see it. I feel a little bit left in the corner as a forum user...Anyway, hope you're right when you say they never respond to threads and there's still hope. I really want better personalities and all the rest but I still have the feeling that even if they wanted to, they would never have enough time til the end of TS4.
    So, thinking about this today...when your Sim plays with a toddler, the adult gets an 'uncomfortable' moodlet from sore muscles and the toddler gets a 'sad' moodlet from too much rough housing. As we all know, neither one will actually change the overall mood unless there are very few other things affecting their mood.

However, it's more than that. I don't just want a moodlet, I want a reaction from the Sim. Maybe a little sick-up from the toddler (that used to be one of the hazards of playing too much with a baby or toddler in previous Sims). I don't just want a generic mood, I want a specific reaction to whatever generated the moodlet. I think they've actually done moods pretty well, so long as positive moods don't override the negative ones all the time. I like the different walks, the groans, and even the happy little skips when a Sim has good reason to be happy. Or the kid or teen crying in her sleep over a grandparent who has died. Those are nice touches.

I guess I want a specific reaction to things that affect more than mood. I mean, the right decorating can certainly put you in a 'focused' or 'creative' mood. However, no matter how beautiful my surroundings might be, I'm still going to yawn if I'm working on a boring task or I'm tired.

Yeah that's it, it's the reason why lot of players don't like moodlets : they don't add any gameplay or animations, it's just a little text you have to read.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    KriticalKlownKriticalKlown Posts: 198 Member
    I want the fear emotion to be on there
  • Options
    I am Bumping this thread because I want the Sins Studio to take notice on how important this is in order for The Sims 4 to have full Depth. They can add so many content they wanted but if the Personality system is as boring as this one. Then the game will still have the shallowness that the players feel about it.

One more thing to mention is that there are no new whims for Realm of Magic. Whims are disabled instead of overhauled.

Maxis you need to satrt overhauling the system. If the players don't use the whims system that much then why disable it instead of overhauling them to add more depth just like the Wants and Fears System. Playing the game with Whims disabled feels that I am playing sims without personality or even wants and that is something that needs to be fixed in a human life simulation.

This is not a Doll House Simulator Maxis, but a Life Simulator.

I hope this thread can go up for years. I dislike playing dolls that are bland and emotionless in a life simulator game. If Toddlers, Magic Players, Builders, or even Story Tellers are heard in this past few years, then it's time for us people wanting an actual life simulator to be heard.

They mentioned last this year that they have big plans for The Sims 20th Anniversary. But if they just add new content to the game instead of overhauling the game then they can keep that content to themselves.
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,426 Member

They had a thread to actually ask the gurus? Wow. Feels hard to imagine when I see how the forums are largely ignoring by them at the moment. (of course I don't follow every discussion around here so perhaps they responded occasionally.) I wish they would actually respond to more threads. The only guru activity I have seen on here over the last few months was to get us hyped for RoM. But a reaction to our comments/complaints/suggestions afterwards is missing.

As to the topic, what I miss in this iteration of the sims is memories. Sims in sims 4 live 100% in the here and now with no recollection of passed event. I really liked how sims 2 dealt with this by recording all the important events of a sim in their memories. I liked looking back at them and see who they made friends with, who they fell in love with, children born, skills mastered... .
  • Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited October 2019
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    They had a thread to actually ask the gurus? Wow. Feels hard to imagine when I see how the forums are largely ignoring by them at the moment. (of course I don't follow every discussion around here so perhaps they responded occasionally.) I wish they would actually respond to more threads. The only guru activity I have seen on here over the last few months was to get us hyped for RoM. But a reaction to our comments/complaints/suggestions afterwards is missing.

As to the topic, what I miss in this iteration of the sims is memories. Sims in sims 4 live 100% in the here and now with no recollection of passed event. I really liked how sims 2 dealt with this by recording all the important events of a sim in their memories. I liked looking back at them and see who they made friends with, who they fell in love with, children born, skills mastered... .

Unfortunately, I don't believe that TS4 will ever get proper memories. The game seems to have been built around the ability to easily pop Sims around from household to household or to delete them outright. If they had memories, each one of those Sims would require a prudent memory wipe before deletion. I can't see EA bothering to do that or even opening up the hood a bit to allow the players the option to do it themselves. With the random amount of townies that the game keeps generating and if each one of them had their own memories, it could become an untenable mess.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    Cynna wrote: »
    Atreya33 wrote: »

Unfortunately, I don't believe that TS4 will ever get proper memories. The game seems to have been built around the ability to easily pop Sims around from household to household or to delete them outright. If they had memories, each one of those Sims would require a prudent memory wipe before deletion. I can't see EA bothering to do that or even opening up the hood a bit to allow the players the option to do it themselves. With the random amount of townies that the game keeps generating and if each one of them had their own memories, it could become an untenable mess.

Not only that but they also need to add them to all the premades they made in The Sims 4 so far. yep and each memory should correspond with the backstroies that they created.

Why did we get a Life Simulator that does not imo simulate the reality of personality in the first place?