Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Aside from CAS, where does TS4 excel?

Comments

• GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,284 Member
    Destin2016 wrote: »
    Toddlers

^This.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • MVWdeZTMVWdeZT Posts: 3,267 Member
    Where TS4 excels for me is in:

toddlers
    rotation play style
    being able to send your Sims anywhere in the world
    holidays (Seasons)
    retail stores (Get to Work) and restaurants (Dine Out) are both better than they were in TS3.

• Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited May 2019
    MVWdeZT wrote: »
    Where TS4 excels for me is in:

toddlers
    rotation play style
    being able to send your Sims anywhere in the world
    holidays (Seasons)

retail stores (Get to Work) and restaurants (Dine Out) are both better than they were in TS3.

TS3 is not the bar. TS2 Open for Business is. And retail in TS4 still falls short compared to it.
    Post edited by Sigzy05 on
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    Sims 4’s strongest parts are CAS and to a lesser degree build mode. Live mode is the worst part of the game, and it’s supposed to be the main part. It’s good for taking screenshots, if you’re into that sort of thing.

Really? I find live mode to be my favourite part. I love just watching and guiding my sims through their lives.
  • EnjoyfulSimmerEnjoyfulSimmer Posts: 1,242 Member
    @drake_mccarty I love live mode and I agree with @Sharonia . You might not enjoy this game. We all have our reasons, but live mode is awesome for those of us who enjoy it.

"Let Our Hearts And Hands Be Streched Out In Compassion Toward Others."
  • CaityTrinaCaityTrina Posts: 555 Member
    edited May 2019
    1. Art style, sims 3 now looks dated and uncanny, sims 4 would have the wind waker effect with it's cartoony updated sims 2 style.
    2. Build mode. Being able to pick up rooms, entire houses and lots is a godsend.
    3. Gallery
    4. Game packs- they're the perfect midway between sp and ep, and the content of them is more fleshed out than before. Vampires is a great example of this.

Where ts4 falls
    1. The lack of depth in their premades stories. They say Don is dating Katrina but they're aquaintences with no romance. They say Travis is liked by his roommates but there's no romance bar either. Same with Miko in Karaoke house. They said Johnny is a disowned landgraab but he has no relation and doesn't even know them. Eliza and Bob are struggling in their relationship but it's a fresh out of cas ship.
    2. Stuff packs. Apart from laundry day.
    2. No create a world.
    3. Kids activities
    caitytrina.png
  • FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    It took me two years to get into S4, so I understand what you are saying!
    1) I really enjoy the Dine Out pack, I did build a few diners but never ran any of them but one (for a short time and had no problems). I use them for my sims to go out and eat (which is about everyday).
    2) The toddlers are amazing and I absolutely love them. They come with traits that work so well in the game. They make me laugh all the time, especially when they can run! Monster under the bed at night happens too, playing in the toilet, cabinets and the "Whats This?" on objects to explore or check out.
    3) I was never a builder in prior games, but I absolutely love it in this game. I watch a lot of videos on here from Ruthless_KK (I believe roseymow replies and handles it more now). I can't handle speed builds (way to fast for me) but I learn so much from the links and videos in Ruth's thread. I have a lot of fun just trying to build!
    4) Cas is amazing. It takes some getting use to when it comes to pulling and creating them, but I love that better...but really miss the color wheel.
    5) I don't care for the loading screens at all, I only wish the neighborhoods were open. They may be small, but in S3 I found myself dl'g smaller worlds anyway. I loved the open world in S3 even though they were so huge but amazing at the same time and I miss the cars, bikes, boats, etc. in S4.
    6) Love that you can move to any of the neighborhoods with ease and not loose relationships or points. That is a big plus to me.
    7) I love the multitasking in this game, I like that they can talk, eat, use cell phone and more....at the same time. I don't think it takes longer like others have said because they are filling all those needs while doing it.
    8) Seasons is the best ever. Love the thunderstorms and the rain, and the snow makes my worlds so beautiful in itself. Amazing!

I can't remember anything else, but there is something about every single pack that I love. They kick it up a notch every time they come out with something from prior games and I love that the most. Throwing in StrangerVille was totally different and new and I just loved solving the mystery and love the look of the hood. I just love the game period <3
  • LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,594 Member
    edited May 2019
    For me this is where I seen TS4 excel or at least what I've noticed and enjoyed thus far in this game:

1. Building. It's never been easier and I've always disliked building in previous games and tended to cop out in downloading other people's builds or using already pre-made homes within the games, but now I'm more than motivated to build homes, restaurants, and other venues. Still a few more things I want to make build mode completely perfect for me.
    2. Sims being able to multitask accordingly is great. Yeah, it can get pretty silly at times, but sims being able to stay SEATED while they answer their phone without having to stop an action is great.
    3. I've enjoyed a lot of the features customizing features that have been brought along through gameplay. Restaurants, Club system, retail system, Holidays and traditions. Club system probably been the best one for me since I can manipulate the sims a lot and what they'll do. Holiday being the next as it feels a lot more meaningful to have proper holidays and traditions for your sim family to feel a lot more special and with friends as well.
    4. Stuff packs have been pretty nice compared to ones before (Cept for that you know what one) and at half the price. Other than slowing down on them they've been really good the backyard and the kids stuff pack being my favorites.
    5. Actually having a number of sims on a lot. It was always so empty in TS3 and it's what I liked in TS1 and TS2 seeing so many sims on the lot socializing and doing different things.
    6. Being able to visit worlds in-between and not just sticking to one. Reminds me like in TS2 when nightlife came and you can make a downtown for your sims to go visit for the nightlife.
    7. Some love it some hate it or inbetween, but I like being able to tell a sims emotions by just looking at them and what they do while it can change the outcome of a situation or what they're doing. (Two sims playing chess one is angry and decides to throw all the chess pieces off of it, bad moods affecting your cooking even when a sims cooking is high.)
    8. I like seeing sims at certain times of the day usually in their work uniform or if at night you'll see them in their party attire.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Certainly not its occults seeing as we only have two.

Five. Ghosts, Aliens and Vampires. And temporary Plantsims and Skeletons.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

Ghosts are just transparent Sims. And the temporary ones don't count because they're temporary. Sims 2 had real Plantsims and occults in almost every pack. Sims 3 was kind enough to give us a dedicated expansion pack to occults.

Sims 4 treats occults like they don't even exist.
    edited May 2019
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

Ghosts are just transparent Sims. And the temporary ones don't count because they're temporary. Sims 2 had real Plantsims and occults in almost every pack. Sims 3 was kind enough to give us a dedicated expansion pack to occults.

Sims 4 treats occults like they don't even exist.

Some have special powers and they can go through things. But I get your point.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    baranouta wrote: »
    When I tried it a while back, I couldn't get into TS4. I think I found myself trying to play the same way I did in TS3, but of course that didn't work and so I just became aware of the things from TS3 I'm used to that it lacked. I know I had to adjust my play style when I made the switch from TS2 to TS3 as well, so I started to wonder in hindsight if perhaps I simply need to play to TS4's strengths more in order to fully enjoy it.

What really sets TS4 apart to you? What kind of stories is TS4 best at?

Build mode it excels It's much easier for me as a builder to build.

Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • prisinkaprisinka Posts: 12 New Member
    i think its less about what the game excels at and more about whether or not you enjoy the total package.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Since someone is asking where does Sims 4 excel and sadly I must say for me not in many areas, I do like the connection of worlds but even that has its limits, The Building is nice but for that is it and no more oh wait they added the ability to alter the lot but not the size.. You can't alter lot sizes and you can't expand an neighborhood. Sims 4 cannot scale to what an system is using and EA/Maxis do not want to tamper with performance meaning those with meaty systems will be okay but lower end may suffer as again Sims 4 cannot scale up or down. One does not even have to go out and buy an 9900K and 2080 Ti as Sims 4 will not even use the power it can supply I am going to be honest here for when I am spending my money I want the best and Sims 4 is not the best and as an game does not excel for me. :#
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    What the sims 4 lacks in depth, it makes up for in shallowness.

Definitely shallow for me. :)
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member
    Sharonia wrote: »
    Sims 4’s strongest parts are CAS and to a lesser degree build mode. Live mode is the worst part of the game, and it’s supposed to be the main part. It’s good for taking screenshots, if you’re into that sort of thing.

Really? I find live mode to be my favourite part. I love just watching and guiding my sims through their lives.

Compared to Sims 2 or 3 the live mode in Sims 4 is terrible. It’s repetitive, chalk full of uninspired content and features the worst personality system out of any of the game’s. Good for u that u like it, but it’s the shallowest live mode experience out of them all. Even the first Sims game had a lot more to live mode to offer.
  • Sonia016Sonia016 Posts: 482 Member
    Sharonia wrote: »

Compared to Sims 2 or 3 the live mode in Sims 4 is terrible. It’s repetitive, chalk full of uninspired content and features the worst personality system out of any of the game’s. Good for u that u like it, but it’s the shallowest live mode experience out of them all. Even the first Sims game had a lot more to live mode to offer.

The woohoo interaction is the most shallowest part in live mode if you hit shift tab.

The Sims Game
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    telmarina wrote: »
    I'm the opposite, but can't explain why. A few years ago I went back to sims 3 but i uninstalled it in a bit. After playing 4 I just don't know why, but 3 looked like not enough. I know this feels strange, cause there's so much more content on 3,but it's not about the content I guess... Maybe the sims itselfs or the engine, i don't know...

Completing myself, I think that multi-tasking is also awesome. When I went back to previous iteration my sims were watching TV, then I had to wait to eat and then I had to wait to talk to the family...
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member
    @drake_mccarty I love live mode and I agree with @Sharonia . You might not enjoy this game. We all have our reasons, but live mode is awesome for those of us who enjoy it.

Good for you. I think live mode is very repetitive, very dull, and VERY predictable. If you don’t mind me asking; what reasons make you love live mode or feel it’s awesome?

Regardless of anything live mode is without a doubt the weakest part of the game. For most of it’s development it was designed for multiplayer over the internet not single player at all. It was slapped together into what we have super quickly and poorly. Hence why so many people complain about it.
  • Bearpal64Bearpal64 Posts: 1,117 Member
    edited May 2019
    It took me a while to get into TS4. Having loved TS2 and then not being able to really play TS3 not really getting into it.TS4 came out and underwhelmed me sadly. But years after it first came out it was finally playable on console and I was very impressed with it.

For me the art style of the Sims 4 is a more modern version of The Sims 2 Sims. They are very expressive and just entertaining. The overall style of TS4 art direction also appeals to me.

It has some nifty features that are more of a product of modern gaming rather and innovation than just being new ideas.. Some gameplay features work very well and some seem like they were better on paper than in practice. Build Buy Mode is probably the best its ever been but on console at least the switch from build buy to live is not smooth at all. Making houses is fun and interesting. It's much easier to achieve greater builds than before I believe.

Multi tasking.... Is passable. It's one of those features that isn't so great in reality inmo. Sometimes you get some really fun results. Wow eating and watching TV and holding a conversation! Hunger, Fun and Social all being taken care of. Sometimes things are maddening with how you think they will work vs how they actually work.

All in all now that so much more content is released (free updates and paid ones) TS4 is a more fleshed out beast. It's not perfect but it has so much charm and innovative ideas that make it a unique experience in its own right.
  • LizzychicagoLizzychicago Posts: 872 Member
    baranouta wrote: »
    When I tried it a while back, I couldn't get into TS4. I think I found myself trying to play the same way I did in TS3, but of course that didn't work and so I just became aware of the things from TS3 I'm used to that it lacked. I know I had to adjust my play style when I made the switch from TS2 to TS3 as well, so I started to wonder in hindsight if perhaps I simply need to play to TS4's strengths more in order to fully enjoy it.

What really sets TS4 apart to you? What kind of stories is TS4 best at?

I don't "play" The Sims 4 very often, I never did with any of them really. I'm mostly a builder. Especially with Sims 4. I think the way you can build in this game is amazing. There are a few things I think it's missing, like more and better stairs and the ability for truly round rooms, but for the most part building in Sims 4 is the best ever.
    Check my builds and Sims out on the Gallery, username Lizzychicago!

Good for you. I think live mode is very repetitive, very dull, and VERY predictable. If you don’t mind me asking; what reasons make you love live mode or feel it’s awesome?

Regardless of anything live mode is without a doubt the weakest part of the game. For most of it’s development it was designed for multiplayer over the internet not single player at all. It was slapped together into what we have super quickly and poorly. Hence why so many people complain about it.

@drake_mccarty And some people found live mode in sims 3 very dull.I mainly dabbled in CAS in sims 3 and played the households virtually none. Just because sims 3 had tools to be more creative in build mode and in CAS doesnt mean it had the best SIMS. The sims were bad imo. I commented about Sims 4 having the best sims characters , better than Sims 3 on the sims subreddit, better than before and got plenty of upvotes on that comment and so did the other user who said they find Sims 4 superior,which I was actually responding to, so im just saying, its not everybody who thinks sims 4 is worst in that area, by any stretch. Play whichever game you like. But for me Sims 4 has the strongest live mode so far.
  • duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    I'd have to say game play wise, it excells in multitasking. Its the one thing I miss the most when switching to Sims 2 or 3. I love that my sims can chat and eat dinner at the same time or they can paint while talking to their kids about their day.

Mechanically, I'd say the smoothness of gameplay and the unique look of the game. Some aren't so thrilled with the clay and cartoon look of Sims 4, but I rather like it. I think I wouldn't be as happy with it if it looked like Sims 3. It'd feel too much like a cheep knock-off of Sims 3 for me if it did.

I love that it'll run on my daughter's older, less spiffy machine just as easily, if not as attractively, as it will on my newer, slightly more powerful one.
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
    Sims 4's strong suits are always downplayed, by those who prefer the other game. But multi-tasking is very important. If my sims cant eat and watch tv or talk to their family white watching tv thats a huge dealbreaker. Its ruins immersion .