Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why do you all want cars so much?!

I honestly don't know what would be the point in having cars. I don't know how they would introduce it into game play. You never see sims getting into any vehicle in game, do you (I don't have all of the expansions)? I liked having cars in TS3 because you could watch your sims driving around, but in a game where it's all loading screens, I just don't see what all of the fuss is about..?

If they introduced cars, what do you imagine it would involve?

Comments

• SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,934 Member
    TS2 had a closed world and had cars. You could get in the car, woohoo and fool around in it I think, and I believe listen to music. Your teen can learn to drive. And you could fix up a beat up car yourself. You could take your children to school and drive to other lots (off screen) but when you got there your car was parked on the cub. I believe you could make a car dealership. You could drive the car in the garage. I thought cars were fun....
  • AmavariAmavari Posts: 167 Member
    Being able to get a customizable car would be neat admittedly, I'd imagine that it would end up working alot like the space missions you get with the rocket ship where you take it out and get a popup notification or branching story about things happening while your character is out.
  • NoWayJose527NoWayJose527 Posts: 1,456 Member
    I loved the cars in Sims 2. My sims had fun restoring old junkers and selling them. For some, it became a great father-and-son project. I also liked traveling by cars. It was so much more logical than our current "teleport in an unseen vehicle" system. Most of all, I like and want cars because I'm a realistic-style player. It's not realistic for these sims to not own a means of transportation. That's the main reason, but there's also the fact that a vehicle is an expression of an individual's personality and/or financial standing. I want my wealthy sims to drive chic sports cars and luxury sedans. I want my rough and ready hunters, fishermen, and campers to drive pick-up trucks. I want my soccer moms to have vans to transport the kiddies to practice.

I want my game to reflect real life as much as possible. Cars are definitely "real life".
  • Bluefairy286Bluefairy286 Posts: 254 Member
    I want a flashy car on my sims driveway. :) I also like the idea of my sim saving up to buy a car and being able to drive it to work.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Cars may never make it to Sims 4 and Imo even if it did make in some form or shape it would be an gimped system. However, some people want it because it adds to the game what we have in RL.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    Sometimes I build houses based on real floor plans and it often involves a garage, so I have an extra big room I need to do something with. I also think we could use more items that are more on the expensive side to spend all those simoleons on.

But I am getting by just fine without them, if we had them I hope they would bring some perks otherwise why not just teleport like usual?
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    Most of the lots in the sims4 are suburban houses, having houses like those without garages and cars looks weird, especially since cars are driving by on the roads all the time. It is pretty difficult to imagine that all the houses in the world (not just your household) does not have garages with cars. Cars, also like IRL often reflects the person you are playing as, how much money they have etc. Whats the point of being a famous celebrity with a lot of money if you can't have a sports car?
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    I'm not super hungry for cars as much as others, but I still think they would be nice to have. It would be cute to have interactions like washing the car (both alone and as a family), driving kids to school, driving to work, etc. Even without open worlds it would be cute and add more immersion and realism imo.
  • GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    It's a life simulation game. We've had cars since Sims 2, we need cars.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    Realism. And Road Rage would be HILARIOUS! And not to mention, deer in headlights... :D And the addition of cars would also likely mean less loading screens. Who doesn't want that?
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    It's a life simulation game. We've had cars since Sims 2, we need cars.

And carpools since TS1.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Sofmc9Sofmc9 Posts: 498 Member
    The cars animations in TS4 are great, I just want them to be functional. And would like the Devs to update the public transport that came with City Living to be functional too. :3
  • verlainemverlainem Posts: 837 Member
    I wouldn't mind cars - don't need them, but if they stop the long go home times from places like Thorne Baily's house it would be awesome. My sim spends 2 hours sims time running to the loading screen zone.....
    EA ID burnished_dragon
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I don't care about cars in the Sims. I just don't see them being useful or needed with the way the game works now.
  • WispyeWispye Posts: 140 Member
    i agree we cant drive them
  • RobotBeesRobotBees Posts: 145 Member
    I've noticed on the gallery that a lot of people will include fake garage exteriors to the houses they build.. there's even custom content garage door exteriors that you can find. I didn't play TS3 but I did play TS2 and I really enjoyed the gameplay of fixing and customizing the old cars. Don't miss the carpools or school buses and once they introduced walking to other lots in TS2, I would usually just walk anyway because it took less time.
  • catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    There was this guy who made beautiful sports cars. I loved watching my sims drive around in them. You could see them coming home from the hospital in taxis with their babies. Parents could teach the teens to drive. I loved my cars.
  • KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    Blame EA using cars on the road as a backdrop.

That said, I agree cars would add nothing to the game. Sims teleport to their destination. It'd be a huge job to rework that, and I doubt the creators are up to the task.
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
  • soko37soko37 Posts: 593 Member
    This has been discussed at length a million times over. sims 2 had loading screens and cars worked well and were an enjoyable part of the game because we still got to see the sims interact with the car not only by pulling out of the garage and backing out of the driveway, it also had woohoo interactions, and brought with it the ability to fix up old cars. Also for builders it's an essential feature needed for a complete home. To build workable garages and have a variety of working vehicles to put in those garages. Loading screen or not doesn't matter.
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    verlainem wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind cars - don't need them, but if they stop the long go home times from places like Thorne Baily's house it would be awesome. My sim spends 2 hours sims time running to the loading screen zone.....

Do what I do now- have them “Travel” using their phone instead. Then pick their home lot. No more wasting the whole household’s time and no more unnecessary needs decay.

• KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    soko37 wrote: »
    Loading screen or not doesn't matter.
    If players want the cars to be driven, it does. EA would have to rework the game so sims don't instantly teleport to their destination.

752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
    This has been discussed at length a million times over. sims 2 had loading screens and cars worked well and were an enjoyable part of the game because we still got to see the sims interact with the car not only by pulling out of the garage and backing out of the driveway, it also had woohoo interactions, and brought with it the ability to fix up old cars. Also for builders it's an essential feature needed for a complete home. To build workable garages and have a variety of working vehicles to put in those garages. Loading screen or not doesn't matter.

Amen.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
    edited May 2019
    KayeStar wrote: »
    Loading screen or not doesn't matter.
    If players want the cars to be driven, it does. EA would have to rework the game so sims don't instantly teleport to their destination.

They can drive them from the garage to the edge of the lot, fine for me. No need to actually even step on the road. As long as they have the animations, can take their pets inside the car with them, can listen to the radio, turn on the thingymagiggy that cleans the windshield when it's raining, fix the engine when the car breaks, get teens to get their driver's license and so on. Cars in the sims are like any other part of gameplay, some like it some don't.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    There's a lot the Sims can do with cars beyond what the Sims 3 did with cars, as many have already said, cars in Sims 2 are better than cars in Sims 3 because the game play surrounding cars was a lot of fun. I only recently started wanting cars in my game, I'm sure they can make it work. I would assume you would see your sims get in the car and start driving on the road before a loading screen shows up, and then once they load up in the world you see the sim drive up to the lot, maybe the loading screen can be a car exclusive loading screen with a little animation of a car driving along a road or something.
  • takenbysheeptakenbysheep Posts: 343 Member
    I'm not dying for cars, but in ts2 I loved how your sim would be picked up for work in a car that reflected their position. Beginner lever / low paying jobs would be reflected with a junky old sedan. I think some of the higher level military jobs picked your sim up in a helicopter. When your family went on vacation, they would be picked up in a minivan, and when out on the town, sims could call a taxi if they didn't have their own car and needed a way to get home. The taxi would show up and then wait at the curb until you wanted to leave. I thought it was a realistic, immersive and fun touch. I didn't play ts3 much at all, but I think I remember children being able to ride bikes from place to place. Not to mention school busses!! I definitely miss that aspect- sims 4 is definitely boring in terms of transportation.

I understand that we're trying to have a more modern, timeless, and streamlined world in the sims 4 and the use of cars/busses/bikes might date the game, but I think that line has already been breached (cell phones, computers, etc). We also don't want to make sims 4 exactly like the games that came before it. Also I can't really imagine a wide array of cars fitting into the cartoonish look of the game. Because of these things, I understand that cars are not a high priority or even a possibility in the minds of developers. I'm not holding my breath, but I think cars would be a worthwhile and cool addition.