Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Which word form are you most comfortable with?

CK213CK213 Posts: 20,525 Member
Long ago I wrote a story centered on the Supernatural expansion pack.
I referred to my fairy character as a Faery because I liked the archaic form. Even the Supernatural marketing made references to the Fae.

But throughout the story, I was always concerned if Faery was annoyingly unfamiliar to my readers. No one complained, but I would hate to have someone read a full series and struggle with it. I am asking because I am working on a project and have to chose between fairy and faery.
The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Which word form are you most comfortable with? 28 votes

Fairy
82%
Emily4331carlystur03GraceyManorNinoosimJoAnne65SimplyJenGabbyGirlJlisasc360becomingjennCravenLestatfloridameerkatSindocattnb494jordandsaffiredragon9simmerLellaRedShoe7CupidEvie0602Kynan 23 votes
Faery
17%
CK213ShinobuTypeErrorMikezumiBettyboop55stzrve 5 votes

Comments

• SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Fairy
    This is contextual. Talking of supernatural beings, in English? Fairy. It's the modern form of the word, in that language, for that meaning.

In origin, by formation, Faery or Faerie is the state or quality of enchantment (knavery), the enchanted realm (bakery, nunnery), or the act of enchantment (robbery, surgery). Within this structure, a being is a Fee, Fey, Fay, Fae, depending.

It's an odd word, and an old one, and has not meant what it means to us for very long at all. For that meaning, I prefer the modern spelling.
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    edited May 2019
    Fairy
    I've seen "Faerie" and don't mind it but "Faery" bothers me for some reason. I still prefer "Fairy" over all of them, it's a bit of a pet peeve of mine when authors seek out the most obscure way to spell words or names in order to make them stand out more. But you should do whatever it is you want to do, as it's your story.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,525 Member
    edited May 2019
    Faery
    Cupid wrote: »
    I've seen "Faerie" and don't mind it but "Faery" bothers me for some reason. I still prefer "Fairy" over all of them, it's a bit of a pet peeve of mine when authors seek out the most obscure way to spell words or names in order to make them stand out more. But you should do whatever it is you want to do, as it's your story.

Yeah, it being bothersome concerns me.
    I am more concerned with my readers. I am sure they would get used to it over time, but I wouldn't want anyone to have to get use to a word that is being used so much, no matter how much I like it. :)

Thanks to everyone who participates. :)
    Post edited by CK213 on
  • CravenLestatCravenLestat Posts: 13,735 Member
    Fairy
    I prefer........FAB-U-LOUS

TGTnMeC.gif
    I Play Sims 3 On A Potato

DfydFiZ.gif
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    Fairy
    Fairy of the two but Faerie more so than either. I am fine with any option though. All are familiar to me.
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,525 Member
    Faery
    I think I know how I will approach this.
    My fairy is living in the human world, so all humans will use "fairy".

Other fairies from the faerie kingdom will make an appearance, so they will use the archaic form when referring to themselves.
    Perfect! :)

Thanks everyone.