Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Thread for new members to post their Sims 3 game issues

Comments

• Vgrace573Vgrace573 Posts: 29 Member
    Two questions if anybody is home?

1) Seasons is in the mail mostly because so many people use it in their creations. I understand that the game replaces objects if you don't have the ep's and sp's installed and am guessing that its not going to replace them again when I add Seasons? I'll need to trash those lots and worlds and find them again, correct?

2) Caw has always been problematic for me. Tends to make me feel not just ignorant but downright incompetent. But I try, or did until win 10 invited itself into my home. Then caw would flash the title screen very briefly and quit. Its now a couple-few years and a new pc later and decided to torture myself again. Strangely enough caw worked - at first - and I actually made the tweaks I wanted to an unpopulated Rieverview. As soon as I got it into the actual game both caw and ts3 started flashing the title screen for 2 seconds and then dropping. No errors and I set up a crash report. There wasn't any. Complete uninstall and reinstall has ts3 working like a champ. (Mostly--its ts3) Caw is still doing its flashy thing. Puzzlezaddict at ea help had me check and try several things. No go.

Had a lot of game problem at first with 10 and specifically remember Sacred2 doing this same thing. Seems like I had to manually make my video card recognise it. Can't find a way to do that with caw. Any creative and savvy simmers out there with a clue?
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Zero2Hero wrote: »
    Hai!

I have a question about .sim files. What possible format can you convert them to?

Thanks in advance.
    I think it depends on how exactly the file was created. A .sim file is meant to be placed into SavedSims and is essentially a CAS template that can then be used when creating a new sim or editing an existing one in CAS. May I ask what you are trying to accomplish?

Not terribly important, but this thread is intended for those with New Member status who do not otherwise have a place to post their (usually tech) questions about the game, which is why it's 94 pages long currently and wanders around all kinds of topics. Those who are full Members should be encouraged to begin their own threads as needed. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    @Vgrace573 -
    1 - Correct, more or less. Or you could edit up the lots and worlds in question as desired once Seasons is in play.

2 - There never was a whole lot of official support for CAW. It was always viewed by EA as experimental and as such has a permanent beta release status. I've never even attempted it myself. If what you are referring to is actually CAW's Edit In Game (EIG) function, I believe that has been broken for many and for a very long time now.

If the players here on the world creation forum board are unable to assist, you might want to try posting at Mod The Sims (MTS), in its world creation section. There is, generally, more of an intersection between world designers and tech knowhow over there and they might be able to spot what the issues are with your getting CAW to run on Win 10.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Thank you, igazor. No, it isn't EIG just CAW itself. Noticed that in notifications its showing up as a program from an "unknown publisher". Oh well. May take your advice and head over to MTS. (Thought about reddit but for some reason they intimidate me.) Most likely I'll just continue with some of the truly amazing worlds already out there.

Thanks also for the seasons thing. In my heart I knew that would be the case (heavy sigh) so your confirmation didn't truly burst any happy little bubble (softer sigh). You're always awesome whether here or there.

One more question about Seasons though. Found this adorable haunted library and decided to plunk it down onto a haunted hang-out which has a tomb room beneath. Also a house that I built has an open stairwell from kitchen to the balcony. Will people expire from heat and cold or drown in the rain or something if these staiwells are not enclosed? This is why I held off so many years on seasons. When I was a kid up near Lake Michigan, playing joyfully in the snow all day was never followed by a visit from the Reaper! Suppose I'll figure out the answer to this question myself but a heads-up couldn't hurt!

Happy Simming everyone.
    @Vgrace573 - Unless your sims are vampires not carrying parasols and thus extremely sensitive to daytime heat (sunlight), you get plenty of warning before sims suffer from extreme heat or cold. In the case of the actively played sims, there will be moodlets that range from pleasantly warm (or cool) through those that make them uncomfortable, to thought bubbles and wishes drawn to escape from the elements from which any kind of enclosed shelter will do. You can't see the moodlets on inactive (not player controlled) sims unless you use mods, but you can see thought bubbles and their behavior should draw them away from such areas.

Sims can't technically freeze to death. What happens in extreme cases is that they get enclosed in a block of ice and other sims anywhere near them will suddenly sprout hair dryers and drop everything they are doing to thaw them out. If there is no one around to help they can eventually starve to death while being frozen up like that, hence the specific death/ghost type, but that takes a long time and wouldn't be without plenty of warning. There isn't any drowning in rain that I have ever heard of. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • meliorasendmeliorasend Posts: 5 New Member
    Hi everyone! I hope someone can help me...

I have a horribly annoying bug that I want to get rid of... Today I was playing with my sim and she just finished drinking a juice. Then she started to walk towards the trash compactor to clean it up when I gave her a new command so she won't get bored after she finished with her task. However something went wrong and now the trash compactor's sound is attached to her! I tried many things, make a new save, exit, return, moving her out then in again, buying a new compactor, verifying game cache, even deleting package files but to no avail... worst of all, it got to the point that it started to effect all of my sims in other saves... I'm out of ideas and this makes the game unplayable. I love this save of mine the most and would like to fix the issue somehow. :(

I play the Sims 3 via Steam and have the base game, Pets, Seasons and Generations. Dunno if that counts but the compactor I used that made it all buggy is called "The Compressor".
    @meliorasend - What you describe with object sounds getting stuck like that is common, I get it occasionally with laundry machines and dishwashers. But it is pretty rare for them to survive a total quit and reload of the game let alone affect other saves. Where you said you have tried deleting package files, not sure which ones you mean but have you tried clearing the five cache files on the top level of the TS3 user game folder in Documents before starting up? These in particular:
    CasPartCache.package
    compositorCache.package
    scriptCache.package
    simCompositorCache.package
    socialCache.package (this one is optional)

If not averse to using mods, I would also suggest an NRaas MasterController Reset Everything, run from City Hall.

If all else fails, you might try pulling your entire TS3 user game folder out of Documents (or renaming it) so that a new one with no added content forms. If a new test game works properly without the unwanted effect, you could then add your content, meaning store and CC, installed worlds, saved sims, Library files, installed worlds if any, back into the new game folder with the ultimate goal of copying your ongoing saves into it in the hopes that gets rid of whatever the problem is.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    @igazor Thank you so much for the tip! I never knew this was a common issue so I'm really glad I'm not alone. Sometimes I have a feeling I'm attracting bugs and glitches in games (or it may be just bad luck). After I posted this I started reinstalling the whole game (it's almost 60% as I'm typing this) so I'll report back later. :)

Also, the package files you mentioned were the ones I deleted. Plus, an entirely new save with pre-made Sims resulted in receiving the same glitch so I'm really looking forward to try those other methods out. I haven't tried any mods nor I have any custom content yet.
    @igazor So... I can't believe but the glitch is still present... Reinstalled the whole game and also placed my saves temporary elsewhere, fresh start and pre-made sims once again; the problem is still on. :( I don't know what to do. It would seem like the game would somehow link the trash compactor's sound with every sim that used it (in return the compactor is "silent" after trash is placed inside). I would lie if I'd say I'm not sad.
    edited May 2019
    @meliorasend - It's possible I've missed a step here someplace. Reinstalling the game only affects its Program Files, those do not go bad with usage unless new patches are released (impossible or nearly so now and Steam handles our patching for us) or hard drive corruption has happened. Reinstalling does not remove or replace the user game folder in Documents.

If the flaw is with the user game folder in Documents, which would be consistent with the flaw showing up in different saves, my suggestion was not to reinstall but to zap (move) the folder so that a fresh one is spawned on the next startup. Have you done this or are you still working with the same game folder as with the prior install?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    @igazor I moved the whole Sims 3 folder with everything in it from my Documents to my drive "D" to a new folder, just as you suggested. After that I launched the game then tested a pre-made family, made one of them to use the compactor but the sound was still coming from the sim himself not from the object as it should. So the "fresh start" happened but the glitch was still there. I even installed Nraas successfully, just in case I'd need it. Basically it's still unsolved unfortunately...
    edited May 2019
    @meliorasend - You are likely aware of this already, but just in case. When you move a folder from one drive (or any kind of volume) to another by way of drag and drop, you are really making a copy. The original stays in place unless you used cut/paste, some other means, or went back and deleted the original. Sorry to keep harping on this, but when you started up the game for that fresh start, it had no game folder at all in place, correct? And the new one that spawned had none of your saves or any other content in it? There isn't a phantom unwanted game folder hiding on you someplace that the game is using instead, such as in OneDrive?

If it's not any of those things, afraid I am stumped. I've never heard of such a malfunction with EA content (this compactor is I believe from Generations) persisting so strongly even on a new game folder. If you can get to a place where the noise is not happening, you may need to play without trash compactors for a while, or at least without that one.

Another option though, if no one else here has any ideas, is to post about the issue on the TS3 board at EA's Answers.HQ. Perhaps one of the helpers over there is familiar with what is causing this.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Is it possible to build a new lounge for your mixologist and have his/her apartment upstairs? It would be convenient but I'm not sure if it will work. Some of the "village" lots have different venues built in, would this be the same thing? Perhaps just use a public room marker?
  • graciloograciloo Posts: 3 New Member
    i tried looking for a sims 4 new member thread but couldn't find any? so every single time i start up the game, i always receive the same notification from script mods. for ex, basemental drugs pop up always reads "your current version: x.x.xx... cheat commands..." etc etc. i don't want to see that and i don't know how to turn off those notifications. it's annoying to see it every time i load up my game. any one know how to turn it off?
  • graciloograciloo Posts: 3 New Member
    so s orry. i'm stillg etting adjusted to the forum and found the discussions for sims 4! doesn't look like i can edit or delete my previous comment :( sorry!
    edited May 2019
    @graciloo - No problem. It's not so much that we don't like TS4 players over here, but many of us aren't very well equipped to answer TS4 specific questions as the two game versions are programmed so differently from each other. I'm sure you can get the answers you seek either on the TS4 Modding section here or at EA's Answers.HQ, which is where general tech support for TS4 has been moved to. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Momo_MoonMomo_Moon Posts: 18 Member
    I recently installed TS3 on my mac, but I have been playing for a while on my windows computer. The game runs just fine, but none of my packs will install. It always says they're 'finalizing' and when I open the game, it gives me that alert saying that things are still installing. The download manager on Origin isn't open, and there's a green bar telling me how much it's installed is completely full and doesn't even have a percentage next to the percent sign. I really want to play TS3 on my mac and I can't figure out how to fix this!!!
  • puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    @Momo_Moon For the "finalizing" issue, try running the Origin reset tool for Macs:

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/origin/origin/how-to-reset-origin-on-mac/

If that doesn't help, run it again, then right-click on the Origin icon in Applications, select Move to Trash, and download and install it again.

For TS3 itself, you don't have to use Origin to play—you can launch the game directly through its icon in Applications. You'll probably get an unknown error though. There are several fixes for it, but which one(s) you need to apply will depend on the packs you have installed as well as your Mac's specs. If you list this info, I can write out more specific instructions. Here's how to find your specs:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/READ-FIRST-Sims-3-Mac-Help-Guides-and-Troubleshooting/m-p/4756624#M4

However, before you go through all this trouble, you should know that TS3 doesn't run well at all in macOS. Among other issues, it can only use 2 GB RAM before crashing or failing to save. So unless your other computer has very weak hardware, you're better off playing in Windows. Those of us who have Macs and want to play TS3 properly have ended up Bootcamping, i.e. partitioning our hard drives and installing Windows. Still, if you want help getting the game up and running on the Mac side, it can usually be managed. It's just never going to be as good an experience as playing in Windows.
  • RumorzzRumorzz Posts: 9 New Member
    Okay, so... basically, I was playing the Sims 3, got off to install the Sims 4 MC Command Center. After setting everything up for my Sims 4 game to play later, I got on to the Sims 3. Everything was normal, but when it finished loading, everything was red, my sims were literally black figures, and everything was glitched up. I left the game multiple times, then I decided to check out another thing. Something similar had happened to me when I installed a Sims 3 mod, but I deleted it. So, the thing that I went to check out, was all of the worlds/ neighborhoods that you can choose when you first choose to make a new household. When I looked at it, I saw the same glitch from the first time. All of the names of the worlds were just random letters and numbers. I was confused because I never installed a Sims 3 mod, and whenever I install a game. nothing glitches up the Sims 3. I'm wondering if maybe I should restart my computer, or delete the mod. If someone has had a similar problem, fixed or not, could they tell me? If you have a solution, please let me know, because I'm really upset. :'(
    @Rumorzz - By all means restart your computer to see if that helps. But TS3 and TS4 are totally independent games, and programmed very differently from each other. Unless you have a hard drive that is full (or does not have enough free space) or is damaged or beginning to fail mechanically, installing a mod into one game should have zero effect on the other.

Just to confirm here though, you did not any time try to install MCCC into the Mods\Packages framework folder of TS3? The game wouldn't know what to do with TS4 mods and all kinds of bad things will happen if a TS4 (or TS2) file finds its way into the TS3 user game folder in Documents.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • TempestmancerTempestmancer Posts: 2 New Member
    I need help figuring out why my game crashes randomly. I have all expansions installed as well as some mods such as NRaas Master Controller, Story Progression and a few others. I'm rather new, so please excuse my ignorance. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Computer stats:
    Intel(R) Core i5-7300HQ CPU @ 2.50GHZ
    12GB RamDGGRS DDR4
    AMD Radon RX550 with 2GB GDDR5
    1TB HD with 589GB free
    RAM usage at 26% CPU 2-10%
  • MoohcooMoohcoo Posts: 3 New Member
    someone please please please help. I cant find my bin folder or game folder absolutely anywhere. I downloaded sims in steam and I looked in program files 86 and just program files I cant find it absolutely anywhere. Not in documents not in downloads not anywhere someone help
    Help please!! I cant find my bin folder anywhere I looked in program files 86, I dont even have a game folder too I downloaded through steam. Its not in just program files, its not in documents its no where.....
    @Moohcoo - You don't get a TS3 user game folder, the one in Documents, until the game begins to launch successfully for the first time. The installation path is different on steam, it should go Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\TheSims3\Game\Bin.

Have you ever been able to launch the game? If not, and if the game is not showing under steamapps\common, then I would have to say that you haven't actually installed it yet.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Gosh it keeps getting worse.
    So i am playing the sims and it permanantly freezes the plumbob and shadows move but the sim doesnt i cant pause play or do ctrl shift c i tried closing and reopening, didnt work. hell I have to restart my computer to even close it ://///
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top