Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Tips to make teenagers look more like teenager?

Comments

• Sofmc9Sofmc9 Posts: 499 Member
    I use the height slider mod

EKK0sYQ.png

T6LVQbI.png
    And some more pictures of teens with the height slider,

x9gxkH5.png

P38xMmp.jpg
  • TOLKIENTOLKIEN Posts: 1,594 Member
    I'm not huge on the height slider, the animations never line up and creates havoc with auto generated sims or pregnancies. I WOULD love to see the game auto implement a height change to teens though and based on the BILLION dollar revenue the Sims 4 announced - I don't see why they couldn't use some of that revenue to work on it. But you know, got to pay your shareholders instead rather then re-invest it into the game.

Who knows maybe they will overhaul teens one day but i doubt it.
  • TheMagnoliaTheMagnolia Posts: 174 Member
    CILyREv.jpg
    nxzwV3n.jpg
    Sofia Bjersen, who's going through a preppy phase that's influenced by her mother.
    HzKyvfz.jpg
    And BFFs Morgan Fyres and Lilith Pleasant.

• AkiraAnubiseAkiraAnubise Posts: 240 Member
    I can tell teens apart from young adults easily, as teens their faces are rounder and they are a lot skinnier then older sims. The older the sim gets the more they fill out and start to hunch. Adults sims start to get eye bags and a few wrinkles.

But i do dress my teens as well teens, depending on personality and story. For example I never put heavy make up on my teen girls, and they never wear heels unless it formal. I also dress them in baggy, torn clothing, layers, and some times short shirts for the girls. Their hair is either messy, hanging in eyes, pulled back, or up.

Here are some of my teen boys
    Baggy Shirts, pants, layers, hair that is either messy or covering eyes.
    K42nQDL.png
    IY3S3uZ.png

Teen girls
    style ranges from either preppy or athletic
    vRCxMu9.png
    lfQqPmZ.png
  • cheescaekscheescaeks Posts: 902 Member
    edited May 2019
    imma be real with you, all those sims you posted look like young adults.

here's some of my teen sims i use the height sliders and various acne or braces skin details. the height slider is so necessary for me idk i just can't stand how teens are the same height as young adults, they look like they are 18/19 instead of 13-15

tumblr_prbdqpgD9s1xdy4ujo1_1280.png

tumblr_prbdqpgD9s1xdy4ujo2_1280.png

• marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    height sliders help a lot B)
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Kellogg_J_KelloggKellogg_J_Kellogg Posts: 1,552 Member
    Teens vary....for me, it's about finding their tribe first and then the fashion follows. What is their tribe? Preppie? Nerd? Jock? Goth? Fashionista? Princess? Valley Girls? Hippies? Young Conservatives? Young Radicals? Slackers? The choice of what Tribe they fit into determines the look.

My teen males tend to fall into a few categories. Some are Preppies or Young Conservative types and they wear blazers and jackets but ALWAYS with red or chino trousers. Then there are the Jocks in atheltic gear and replica sports team tops. Then slackers with 3/4 length trousers lor long shorts and caps.

Teen girls have many and varied styles. One look I've tried with my Sims that I think works is the Cher from Clueless look: Pastel coloured mini skirt suits and heels. I've also tried to differenciate the everyday and party looks for them. There's often a practical look for them with flat shoes, and either thick black tights or leggings to match with either an everyday dress or skirt or skinny jeans and a pastel top. Party wear....go wild. It's all about attracting the boys and outdoing Mom.
  • So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    edited May 2019
    For me it’s all about fashion, slenderness, and acne CC.
  • luxsylvanluxsylvan Posts: 1,922 Member
    I try to limit some of the clothes. So things that are more casual or "kiddish" if you have Parenthood, that's what I have teens wear. I also find that layering clothes in fun ways with fun colors can do wonders to age a sim down, like tights and leggings in contrasting colors to skirts or shorts. It helps to dress sims for their personality, too. Not all teens are into fashion and makeup, so I really try to think about that when I make them over. Even when I have sims that would be, I still try to limit some of the clothing and makeup to YA and up, not to shame teens who do that IRL, but because I feel like the teens/YA/Adults in my game tend to look very similar otherwise. The braided pigtails style will do wonders too, if you have that one--can't remember if it's basegame or outdoor retreat.
  • CaityTrinaCaityTrina Posts: 555 Member
    TOLKIEN wrote: »
    I'm not huge on the height slider, the animations never line up and creates havoc with auto generated sims or pregnancies. I WOULD love to see the game auto implement a height change to teens though and based on the BILLION dollar revenue the Sims 4 announced - I don't see why they couldn't use some of that revenue to work on it. But you know, got to pay your shareholders instead rather then re-invest it into the game.

Who knows maybe they will overhaul teens one day but i doubt it.

I second a teen overhaul. I personally feel the requested preteen stage would fit in teen if they actually looked younger and shorter than just being skinny adults.
    caitytrina.png
  • FinvolaFinvola Posts: 1,041 Member
    I don't use height sliders. I'm pretty much the same height as an adult as I was a teen so to me it's a bit silly. I've always been shorter than just about everyone else since I was 12 and I often got mistaken for a teen until I was in my mid 20s. :D For me, it's down to clothes, hair, makeup to make them stand out from adults and look more like teens.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited May 2019
    A lot of the teens I see in real life these days look like adults. I don't really see a problem with it in the game. I'm not gonna ugly up my teens with bad skin just to make them look younger. Generally I just dress my teens with a younger style than I would my adults. Height is no indication either as a lot of teens are actually taller than I am. :D
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    edited May 2019
    A pouty expression. Lots of the stuff from Parenthood would work, like that short hair with a little bit dyed.

Edit: Also, I don't care about height. At 11 years old, I was only an inch shorter than my best friend's Mom. Taller than several clearly adult women. And I have to admit, I felt very important.
    Post edited by nerdfashion on
    funny-gifs20.gif

• FeisbukaiteFeisbukaite Posts: 703 Member
    edited May 2019
    I’ve noticed my in game born teens are super skinny most of the times. So I just dress them like teens and they look like teenagers to me. Once they age up to YA, they get more mature figures automatically , I dress them in more mature styles. This works for me to separate teens from adults. NPS sims is another story.
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    izecson wrote: »
    Dress them as teenagers? as I play the sims 4 more It's easy to spot a Teenager, they have different facial structure than an adult, more pudgy faces, though with female it is pretty hard to differentiate.

In RL girls tend to look like young women even in their teens. This is where the term "jail bait" comes into play. A girl can lie and say she's older, because oftentimes she will look older when in all actuality, she may only be sixteen. I was well into my twenties when I overheard a friend of my mother say I hadn't changed at all.

I've said it before; Sims 4 is the first Sims games with actual realistic teens.
    I know a LOT of Simmers want them to be shorter, because that's the convention in media (it sure has been in Sims). But to me it sounds like they are really talking about 12-14 year olds, while the majority of teen years look far more like the teens in Sims 4. And even in Sims 4 they still do changes just to make them look more childish (like a lot skinnier, often, which can look odd. The Sims 4 teens basically have a body mass of a 12 year old on a 16 year old body frame, which means some look... almost slender man like. But they still look much more realistic than Sims 2 or 3 teens.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
    "I know a LOT of Simmers want them to be shorter,"

I'd still like them to be shorter. Not every teen in real life is tall. Their height in TS4 is about 1.74 m tall. Like someone posted above, all the sims posted in this thread look like young adults. That's why I really like the height slider, it makes a real difference.

i4k81tU.png

3sHzVzG.jpg
    With Parenthood clothes, hair and acne :3

YHZynEQ.png

y6xTjk2.png

wtnX36H.png
  • So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    No one will ever be satisfied with height unless the game allowed for random heights. Teenage years are such a growth period for most kids that it’s impossible to represent all variations and stages with one height.
  • sunblondsunblond Posts: 1,035 Member
    I use body hair CC, so hairy adult men definitely look different than teen boys in my game. It's harder for girls, I mostly try to use clothes and hair to make teen girls look different from adults.
    Origin ID is: sobenewbie
  • TechbiltTechbilt Posts: 258 Member
    pretty much every teen I have in Sims 4 goes suffers from the "goth" phase. Like 2006-2009 hot topic era goth/punk fashion. Then when they reach YA they get a more adult/mature fashion sense.
  • Aquarius94Aquarius94 Posts: 505 Member
    Height sliders are a HUGE help. Even if the animations don't always sync up, I still think it's worth it. Most of the time, it's not even that noticeable. I also tend to make my teen sims a little on the thin side (without looking emaciated). The real challenge are the faces. For girls it's not too hard to tweak. Usually making their faces a little rounder helps. But I've always found it more difficult to change the guys' faces without making them look like completely different sims (I try not to mess with faces too much because I wanna preserve the genetics)

I'm actually kinda proud of how these guys came out.
    04-28-19_2-42-53_PM.png
    05-03-19_2-19-15_PM.png
    05-02-19_2-40-21_PM.png
    05-03-19_2-54-21_PM.png
  • PandySimsPandySims Posts: 55 Member
    > @So_Money said:
    > No one will ever be satisfied with height unless the game allowed for random heights. Teenage years are such a growth period for most kids that it’s impossible to represent all variations and stages with one height.

Totally agree!
    Follow me on youtube to see my newest speed building:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjGtR3A3HUFnPGPuJPF-Z8g?view_as=subscriber
    Thanks for your support! <3
  • GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    I have a height slider in game, I just keep forgetting to actually use it. I also think, since I play in rotation, and the last two house I played only has little kids, it just slipped my mind.

But I do try to make my teens look young as best as I can, and once they start to become older teens, I'll switch up their clothing choices.

Jayden just turned into a teen.
    6o8fVQZ.png

It's not the best pic because he got struck by lightening, but I have (I forgot his name) is a sports jersey. I tend to let teens where that style.
    tNUSaw5.png

Here his older sister, Amanda, has more "adult" taste in fashion. She'll be a young adult soon.
    J3Ajcww.png
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    edited May 2019
    My game-born Sim just became a teenager and for once the game gave me a teen boy that I personally think actually looks like a teen! Haha! Love this kid. His name is Athens. Unfortunately his twin brother just looked like an adult lol. (No CC, I do have a mod that makes freckles genetic but that just means I didn't have to add them myself)

jl5po6.jpg