Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Achievement Thread - Guide on how to achieve them

Comments

• Lexers615Lexers615 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Calypso00 wrote: »
    Short question concerning the "Trickathalon"-badge (description: Trick 50 sims). Does this require my fairy to set traps OR just enchant sims with the "mean" stuff like "hot head" and "cold teeth"? thanks in advance...
    Back then, I had the same question. I didn't take any chance and set tons and tons of traps at large traffic public lots (sofas and bathrooms of the local "Library" or "Gym"). It's actually quicker than it looks like.
    My Studio
    My Traits: Socially Awkward / Artistic / Family Oriented / Hopelessly Romantic / Absent Minded
    Academic Trait: Adventurous
    Social Group Trait (Should I ever become "Nerd" enough): Computer Whiz
    ______
    “Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.” Will Wright
    "Anything that can go wrong will go wrong." Cpt. Edward A. Murphy Jr, USAF
    Exchange_zpsioa8tt1v.jpg
  • Me1620Me1620 Posts: 4,983 Member
    edited November 2018
    I recently read this on Crinrict Sims 3 Help Blog in the User Files Explained blog under the paragraph discussing DCBackup.
    User Files Explained
    Jan 27 2011

DCBackup

There are also a few files that seem to be connected to badge challenges. They have the following numbers. I’m unsure if those are needed or not

0x16ff149288174772bb2fa34416092e0f.package
    0x51ef155c2d68c7a645316fdb8eb4b48c.package
    0xb71cfd2158e04a7ea617ee9b4c6ac5b6.package
    0xc4fc5a4fb38d43469d2fc5c797ffaae0.package
    0xcd7e83bc6b2c09b745361ca52bddf5e8.package
    0xe02355dd40f6c7a548396b042af56004.package
    0xf954019ad5ecd2bf410a5e8597f6982d.package

Many users have stated that it is a good idea to clear the DCBackup folder on a regular basis. I have always followed that suggestion. I looked back in a few older saves that I have. So far, I have found 5 of the 7 files. As Crinrict wrote, she is not sure if those files are needed. Maybe, for those of us who cannot get certain badges to trigger, we should paste those files back into the DCBackup folder or if they are regenerated do not delete them.

In another one of her blogs, SimPort Progress and Achievements, Crinrict discusses the ChallengeData.package files.
    Achievements you have begun but not finished (like jogging a certain distance) are saved in a file called ChallengeData.package in the folder [User file directory]\Downloads\[Some Number].

If you delete this file you will loose all progress and you can start over with the achievement. Because of this, make sure to regularly save this file.

A few pages back in this thread, there was a discussion of the ChallengeData.package file, but making sure the newest one was saved in the downloads folder. I was thinking for those badges that will not trigger for some users but have for others, could beginning a new Sims game folder without the ChallengeData.package file allow us to start fresh? For instance, I have tried several times for the 30 grandchildren badge but it has not yet triggered even though my sims had over 30 grandchildren.
    a.k.a. - Jodi and a link to My Page on the Sims 3 website

To help you organize your stalking of the Daily Deal, please join us on the Daily Deal Rotation and Sales Help thread and please view the DD Spreadsheet
  • puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    @Me1620 The ChallengeData.package can become corrupted and prevent players from receiving badges they have otherwise earned. By the look of things, file corruption can prevent some badges from even showing in-game, whether they've been earned or not. If the file is corrupted, it has to be regenerated; you'll certainly lose your progress on unearned badges, but it can't be helped.

The Head of the Family badge seems to be a special case. It's not enough for a sim to have 30 grandchildren. I believe the sim has to be female, has to have at least two children contributing grandkids to the tally, and has to be designated "head of the family." For a couple, which sim is the "head" is often unclear, but it may be the older one. When I wasn't getting this badge, I temporarily killed off the husband (and didn't save) just to make sure. Finally, the badge is triggered when the grandmother has another child, which can happen through adoption.

This progression worked for me the first time I tried it, even though the (male) sim in my previous save had more than enough grandkids. So if you just want to trigger a badge you should already have, you could try it out. If it doesn't work, it's probably time for a new ChallengeData.
    @puzzlezaddict - I have tried for the Head of the Family badge a number of times and the last time using female head of family with 2 children contributing to grandkids. She has more than 30 grandchildren and no badge. I also read the badge may not trigger if "Save As" is used. I am currently working on a few other badges for which I don't want to lose my progress. After those trigger, I may try one more time for grandchildren badge and if that does not work, I will generate a new ChallengeDate file. Thanks for confirming the file can become corrupt.

To help you organize your stalking of the Daily Deal, please join us on the Daily Deal Rotation and Sales Help thread and please view the DD Spreadsheet
  • puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    @Me1620 I think that the key for the badge is that the grandmother has to adopt (or give birth to, if she still can) another child after she already has 30 grandchildren. That's exactly when the badge triggered for me—the social worker was still watching the kid run to his new mother when it showed up. Hopefully that's all it takes for you as well; generating a new ChallengeData and starting from scratch sounds like it would be quite disappointing, given how much work you've put in up to this point.
    @puzzlezaddict - Oh. I didn't read your last line carefully in your first post. I will definitely try to have the grandmother adopt. It is a long tedious process to age up so many kids.

What @Me1620 wrote makes perfect sense. Most of simmers I know or heard about systematically delete all those files, and though a lot of seemingly achievement related files are in the download folder, having some others in the game's temporary-like folder explains why so few such files can actually be found in the download folder (we're talking about 130ish achievement, so, given how Maxis had them set up in a completely update-unfriendly way, there have to be 130ish files).

My Studio
    My Traits: Socially Awkward / Artistic / Family Oriented / Hopelessly Romantic / Absent Minded
    ______
    “Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.” Will Wright
    Exchange_zpsioa8tt1v.jpg
  • matashjmamatashjma Posts: 41 Member
    This thread has been most helpful on finishing my badges. Was stuck on the last 4 that drove me nuts not getting them. Nice arm, who keeps sending these, seeker of signs and finally sunlight and water. For these last few badges I did I followed the instructions found here and with a borrowed laptop on which the sims 3 was updated to 1.54. And they worked out so easy. Triggered immediately. Thank you for the help. Totally awesome.
    matashjma wrote: »
    This thread has been most helpful on finishing my badges. Was stuck on the last 4 that drove me nuts not getting them. Nice arm, who keeps sending these, seeker of signs and finally sunlight and water. For these last few badges I did I followed the instructions found here and with a borrowed laptop on which the sims 3 was updated to 1.54. And they worked out so easy. Triggered immediately. Thank you for the help. Totally awesome.
    Happy to help! 😊
    My Studio
    ______
    Exchange_zpsioa8tt1v.jpg
    matashjma wrote: »
    This thread has been most helpful on finishing my badges. ... Thank you for the help. Totally awesome.

^This. Lexers615 guide is awesome.

Well thanks!
    My Studio
    ______
    Exchange_zpsioa8tt1v.jpg
    edited May 2019
    Finally!!! After countless attempts, the Head of the Family or 30 grandchildren badge finally triggered for me!!

ikXXsckm.png

I have tried so many iterations of the game doing actions as suggested by other players which finally had the badge trigger for them but which did not work for me. For my successful attempt, I tried two actions that I think may be the reason the badge triggered: I created a new Challenge Data file and I did not kill off the grandfather. I am not sure if either or both were the reason the badge triggered after all this time.

As I posted earlier in this thread, I had read the Challenge Data file could become corrupt. So, I created a clean Sims 3 folder but did not copy in any of the the files from my previous downloads folder. The game created new a Challenge Data file.

For all my previous attempts, I followed the advice that only one grandparent should live in the household. I had either deleted the grandfather in Create A Sim before I started the new game or I had moved the grandfather out of the house. A player told me the badge finally triggered for her when she moved the grandfather back into the household. I no longer had any save with the grandfather available for me to try to move him back in. So, I started a new game and created the "grandmother" and "grandfather" in CAS. I also used the genetics option to create two children for them. I moved the family into a house. I had the "grandmother" and "grandfather" have another child. After their third child aged up, I moved the "grandfather" and third child into another house in the town. The badge did not trigger after the 30th and 31st grandchildren were adopted. I then moved the grandfather back into the household using Edit Town and merge. Still no badge. Following other advice I have received in this thread, I had his daughter adopt one more child. Poof, the elusive badge appeared.

Thank you to all of you who have provided me with advice for this badge.
    Post edited by Me1620 on

• KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,908 Member
    Me1620 wrote: »
    Finally!!! After countless attempts, the Head of the Family or 30 grandchildren badge finally triggered for me!!

ikXXsckm.png

I have tried so many iterations of the game doing actions as suggested by other players which finally had the badge trigger for them but which did not work for me. For my successful attempt, I tried two actions that I think may be the reason the badge triggered: I created a new Challenge Data file and I did not kill off the grandfather. I am not sure if either or both were the reason the badge triggered after all this time.

As I posted earlier in this thread, I had read the Challenge Data file could become corrupt. So, I created a clean Sims 3 folder but did not copy in any of the the files from my previous downloads folder. The game created new a Challenge Data file.

For all my previous attempts, I followed the advice that only one grandparent should live in the household. I had either deleted the grandfather in Create A Sim before I started the new game or I had moved the grandfather out of the house. A player told me the badge finally triggered for her when she moved the grandfather back into the household. I no longer had any save with the grandfather available for me to try to move him back in. So, I started a new game and created the "grandmother" and "grandfather" in CAS. I also used the genetics option to create two children for them. I moved the family into a house. I had the "grandmother" and "grandfather" have another child. After their third child aged up, I moved the "grandfather" and third child into another house in the town. The badge did not trigger after the 30th and 31st grandchildren were adopted. I then moved the grandfather back into the household using Edit Town and merge. Still no badge. Following other advice I have received in this thread, I had his daughter adopt one more child. Poof, the elusive badge appeared.

Thank you to all of you who have provided me with advice for this badge.

Congratulations.

I'm hoping I can get it. But I've made a complicated household for my attempt. Problem is I'm making a video. I might have to keep making that video trying many different ways to get this badge. So far no grandchildren have been born.
    @Karritz - I have seen your videos. If the badge had not triggered for me this time, I was going to get the mod to allow more than 8 per household as you have done. I was wondering if you were going to continue with the series. Good luck with that badge.

@Me1620 Congratulations!

@Karritz I have/had many households. Some were dedicated for "fun" and some were expandable and dedicated for achievements, as I was feeling bad to put my main households through some of those. That emotional string did get in the way sometimes.
    My Studio
    ______
    Exchange_zpsioa8tt1v.jpg
    @Karritz - I have seen your videos. If the badge had not triggered for me this time, I was going to get the mod to allow more than 8 per household as you have done. I was wondering if you were going to continue with the series. Good luck with that badge.

I do plan to continue all of my video series. I am just trying to get the Isla Paradiso Bunch as far as I can before I have surgery next week. Once I'm over that I'll be back to doing all of my video series. The Isla Paradiso Bunch though, is just about finished for the current playlist and that's another reason I'm working on it. I had planned for them to collect all of the parts of the tomb collection for all of the World Adventure Worlds. They've completed Egypt and have 2 to get in China and 2 to get in France. The current video I'm working on shows them getting one of the final two in China. So, I hope to leave them with only 1 still to get in China before the end of next week. Then there'll be a gap for a couple of weeks (maybe more) I don't really know yet. When I'm back I'll do the final tombs of IP Bunch and leave them alone for a while and concentrate on all of the other series.

It had been 3 months since I did an update to the IP Bunch videos. There are several people working through the entire series, starting from video 1 in playlist 1 and a few of them have got up to the last video I have made so I thought I'd better get a move on and try to finish the tomb collections. I'm also keen to get those collections finished as it's something I've not tried to do before and I just want them all. But I'm having problems with placing them all on the same lot. It seems to be like trying to place the wrong ends of a magnet together - they repel each other. Interesting unexpected problems are emerging. Once I finish this playlist, I'll give them a rest and work out what to do with them next. Currently I've even had the game delete one as I was trying to place it. Had to close without saving after that happened - it is repeatable so care needs to be taken.

I'm thinking of packing the IP Bunch household up with a few significant others and their stuff and starting a fresh game with them in Sunlit Tides. I'll have to break up the household as there are currently over 20 sims in it by the time we get up to the latest episode and this is contributing to my memory issues when they are in Isla Paradiso. So I'll probably break them up into a few different households and play them rotationally if I start a third playlist with them. I'd like to see the toddlers all grow up but it isn't necessary.

As for the other series, I think I probably have too many 'children' in my game where I'm trying for the 30 grandchildren badge. I'm making it into a bit of a game and am currently trying to get them to achieve their lifetime wish before aging them up. Some will need to age up to get their LTW though. Since they were all 'created' on the same sim day (used a mod to make instant babies) there is no particular age order for them to age up to young adult. I still don't have much of a plan for how I'm going to achieve the 30 grandchildren. Initially I was going to get each of the 15 children to have 2 each. But it might be easier to pick a couple, or a few, of them to have more than 2 each. The soon to be grandfather is in another household in the world. I did add single sims to the world to be the partners of the 'children' when they grow up but they all seem to be pairing up with each other so I'm probably going to need to add a fresh bunch of partners for the soon to be young adult children. I started with an empty world. It could be over populated by the time I get the grandchildren. :D:s

If this attempt doesn't work, I'll clear out the game generated files from the Downloads folder and start again with some of the sims from the current attempt. I'll probably just move them to a new house in the same world, same game. This will allow the video story to continue. They are already in their own Sims 3 folder. I've ended up making special sims 3 folders for each of my video series. I keep the ones I'm not currently using on an external drive (or two) so as not to overcrowd my C Drive.
    edited May 2019
    Lexers615 wrote: »

@Karritz I have/had many households. Some were dedicated for "fun" and some were expandable and dedicated for achievements, as I was feeling bad to put my main households through some of those. That emotional string did get in the way sometimes.

I've got a few series in my YouTube channel that relate to badges. For example, The Isla Paradiso Bunch started out as me starting a special save just to get a badge for making 300 elixirs. I still haven't managed to get that badge. When I gave up on it for the IP Bunch save I decided to add a few extra sims and try for the Island Paradise Badges that I didn't already have. Then I decided I needed to learn a bit about YouTube and started putting the Isla Paradiso Bunch videos onto YouTube. This thread, and others, alerted me to the realisation that I wouldn't get the IP Badges I was missing with a multi Sim household. So Caroline and Friends video series began.

With Caroline and Friends I managed to get all of the missing Isla Paradiso Badges. Now I've added an extra 6 sims to the household and moved them all to Sunlit Tides. They are now beginning to work through the 46+ badges I'm missing from University Life Expansion plus any other badges they might be able to get along the way. One of the household is evil and she's going for some of the criminal and evil related badges.

Then there is my 30 Grandchildren series in which I'm trying to get the Head of the Family badge. I'll probably keep that one going until I finally get the badge. It may take a few attempts though.

I got the 15 children badge a while back when I made a male sim and used a few female sims living in separate houses. He managed to have 15 babies with about 3 female sims. I think, if I recall correctly, one of them found out about the other two and refused to have anything more to do with him after she'd had 3 and so he had to convince one of the others to have an extra baby. I think it was all done in Starlight Shores. I hope I still have that save but haven't looked for it for a while now. I didn't make a video of that as it was before I started making videos.

Edit: About the issue of needing a single sim household to get the Island Paradise badges.

This is apparently because some of the badges have multiple steps to them and each step towards the achievement of the badge is randomly allocated to sims in the household. If there is more than one sim in the household it is likely that none of them will get the badge as none of them will be seen by the game to have completed all of the steps.

When I said something about this previously, someone called me out on it as they had managed to get the badge with a multi sim household.

If they did manage to do that, then that would be consistent with it being a random allocation of progress towards the achievement.

It is not impossible for the same sim in a multi sim household to randomly get all of the achievement steps allocated to them. If it is selection with replacement, then each sim in the household would have an equal chance of getting credited with each step towards the achievement. Therefore, some people with a multi sim household should be able to get the badge(s) awarded. But it would be a rare event because most people with multi sim household would not get the badge awarded due to the random nature of allocation of credit for progress towards the achievement. So if anyone wants to get the badge, having a single sim household would be the way to ensure success.
    @Me1620 I'm home again. I hope to get another video up in a few days. I've got to take things easy for a few weeks though.
    @Karritz - I hope you are doing well and will recuperate quickly.

Thank you. I have to go slowly for a while but I am at least still going.
    Karritz wrote: »

Thank you. I have to go slowly for a while but I am at least still going.
    That's a great way to see it! Get well!
    My Studio
    ______
    Exchange_zpsioa8tt1v.jpg
    edited June 2019
    Since we were discussing this here recently I thought I'd let you know I've got the next episode posted. Will start work on the next one now. I have it recorded but have to put it together and do the narration.

This episode runs for about 20 minutes. Sadly, no appreciable progress was made towards the badge in this episode. It is mostly getting up to speed on the main characters followed by a bit of their day to day activities.

30 Grandchildren Badge Attempt Part 8

It's been a while, but I finally did it - this episode is now available to watch on YouTube. I'll start on Part 9 in the morning. It won't take too long I hope as I have the video recorded, I just have to put it together and do the narration.

In this episode we meet the father of the 15 teens in the household. He lives in a house nearby with several sims and we meet all of them plus get an update of the current situation with the teens. There is a tiny tutorial at the end of the video as well - you see me set an old gnome back to toddler stage. Actually, he was just getting a bit grey, hadn't reached the elder stage yet but he's a toddler again now.

Here's the link.

https://youtu.be/7SNHByEnc5Q

I hope you enjoy the video. Happy Simming

EDIT: And, I am pleased to report I appear to be recovering nicely. But am still very restricted as to what I am allowed to do. Fortunately sitting at my compute is okay. It'll be another week before I can get back to normal activities.
    @Lexers615 - I finally achieved Sing it Again, Sim (Earn §20,000 in tips as a Singer). I am still working on the other two performer tip achievements. You noted that after the data correlation achievement, these three badges end up tied for second place to be the longer taking achievements. I can vouch for that.

Thank you for your excellent tips in your post A Return on the Three Performers §20k Achievements. For me, the most important tip you provided was
    If you send your performer "On Tour" through the "SimPort", your progression is lost. I don't think it's an intended side effect, for I learned it the hard way, and you may lose several real life day worth of work by inadvertently sending out that sim.
    Before I knew this, I would accept all Simport requests. (I did have two saved games; one in which I accepted Simport tours and a second dedicated to working on the badge. However, I think the Simport still affected both saved games.) I wasn't aware using Simport could interfere with the progress of this badge. After I read this, I started a fresh game and did not use Simport. It then took 26 sim days for the badge to trigger. In previous attempts, I had played for much longer without the badge triggering. I would agree the use of Simport was stopping the badge from triggering.

Originally, I had being working on this badge in Starlight Shores. I thought this would be the best world to work in since it was created for Showtime. However, I lost my progress when my saved game became corrupted. I decided to retry the badge in Sunset Valley thinking this may be the world with the least lag and bugs. I am not sure if this was a major factor that helped me achieve the badge. I can say that I had made many attempts in Starlight Shores to have the achievement trigger but was only successful when I started a fresh game in Sunset Valley and avoided using Simport.

In Sunset Valley, the cinema is my favorite lot to send my sim to perform as I found it had the most traffic.

Thanks again for this thread. I have twelve more game badges to go.

I'm glad it worked. Thanks again for your praise! 😊

I'm sure you'll earn both other achievements quickly!
    My Studio
    ______
    Exchange_zpsioa8tt1v.jpg
    I thought I'd share a link to my video series 'Caroline and Friends - University Life Badges'. This thread helped/inspired me to begin working on those badges.

https://youtu.be/zq_y7ytdS0s

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top