Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

*SECURITY ALERT*

Comments

• FinvolaFinvola Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited May 2019
    I had something happen a few months ago where I was playing another game and suddenly got booted out of the game and out of Origin. I couldn't log back in with my password. Then I got an email that said I had to change my password due to suspicious activity, so I thought my account had been hacked. So I did all that, got back in. Then it happened many times after, and it happened to several friends of mine too over the course of a few weeks. It was some bug with Origin (don't recall what the cause was) that was locking people out of their accounts. So needless to say, because of that, I had to change my password to something new each time I got the "suspicious activity" message in error and was locked out. So it doesn't hurt to change passwords every now and then.

On a related note, earlier this evening I saw a charge on my paypal account for something I didn't buy, but I hadn't been charged yet so I was able to cancel it before I had a mess on my hands. So either somebody has my email and plans on using it to go on a shopping spree at my expense or it was a mistake. I'm glad I caught it early and it was time to update paypal and that email's passwords too!
  • Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    IceyJ wrote: »
    Simpkin wrote: »
    ChelleJo wrote: »
    So_Money wrote: »
    Someone in Russia keeps trying to log into my Origin account. I know because EA keeps texting me the login code in Russian. I removed all payment info years ago, but I still added two-factor authorization just in case. Didn't change my password; I like my password, lol.

If the hackers are making it to the 2-factor stage, they already know your password.

Obviously. Not changing it; I like my password, lol. As long as they can't get in, I don't care. I have various passwords all over, so I'm not concerned about the possiblity of them using it elsewhere.

tbh you're asking for them to get in with this.

Really? Are they coming to take my phone? What's the point of two-point authorization if it doesn't work.

You're an grown adult (I'm assuming, if not, you are still in control of your own decisions) if you choose not to change your password, that's one you, but I hope you wouldn't be one of those people that will be complaining that EA didn't do enough to protect your account when they do finally get in. I guess the term of 'hacker' doesn't register with you. Two-factor isn't bullet proof. It's suppose to be a warning system to alert the user to change their password and better protect their account. It's as much your responsibility to keep your account safe as it is EA's.

Nothing is bullet-proof, so why are you all bothering? Why do any of this if a hacker can get in anyway??? It's not the first password I've ever had. I've changed passwords many times for many reasons. I'm just choosing not to change it this time. I'll let you know how it goes.

not everyone is so careless, that's why.

Um, okay? So, what happens when a hacker gets into your account anyway? You'll have to contact EA just like I would. Only difference is you kept changing your password to 'stay safe,' although multiple people in this thread are admitting that none of it is all that safe.

Let's just say you should do everything in your power to increase the time it takes to break into your account.

There have been instances in another game where the company couldn't figure out who actually owned the account. That company permanently bans accounts in which two people can present enough evidence to show they own the account.

So you should do whatever you can to reduce your chances of that happening to you.

So if someone has your password, you should change it.
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited May 2019
    Someone in Russia keeps trying to log into my Origin account. I know because EA keeps texting me the login code in Russian. I removed all payment info years ago, but I still added two-factor authorization just in case. Didn't change my password; I like my password, lol.

If the hackers are making it to the 2-factor stage, they already know your password.

Obviously. Not changing it; I like my password, lol. As long as they can't get in, I don't care. I have various passwords all over, so I'm not concerned about the possiblity of them using it elsewhere.

Really? Are they coming to take my phone? What's the point of two-point authorization if it doesn't work.

It does work most of the time, but that doesn’t mean it will work 100% of the time always. In the event that your account is compromised, good luck getting it back without a mandatory password change.

I'm fully aware of the risks. :) I'd rather do that when necessary than have to change it every day.

If you are getting two-factor alerts every day then you have a serious problem somewhere. Are you sharing your account with someone? Online? Hackers don’t just guess your password they get it from you, one way or another. You should always have anti-virus software on pc.

Nope, not sharing with anyone. There are multiple ways for a hacker to get a password. (Yes, they can guess it too, but that's for the common passwords you should never use.) I did find out that that particular password/email combo was found on the dark web. How it got there, I'm not sure.

I used to fix computers in my spare time, so I'm not unfamiliar with how to care for one. The alert is coming from the same place in Russia. Repeated attempts.
    Post edited by IceyJ on
    edited May 2019
    When I say 'every day,' I don't mean every single day and I'm not referring to only Origin. What I mean is I have many, many, MANY accounts and subscriptions by being a long time Internet user so the effect is multiplied.

I'll bother with the accounts that are more serious and important.
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    O_O

This is bad.
    funny-gifs20.gif

edited May 2019
    Seera1024 wrote: »

You're an grown adult (I'm assuming, if not, you are still in control of your own decisions) if you choose not to change your password, that's one you, but I hope you wouldn't be one of those people that will be complaining that EA didn't do enough to protect your account when they do finally get in. I guess the term of 'hacker' doesn't register with you. Two-factor isn't bullet proof. It's suppose to be a warning system to alert the user to change their password and better protect their account. It's as much your responsibility to keep your account safe as it is EA's.

Nothing is bullet-proof, so why are you all bothering? Why do any of this if a hacker can get in anyway??? It's not the first password I've ever had. I've changed passwords many times for many reasons. I'm just choosing not to change it this time. I'll let you know how it goes.

Um, okay? So, what happens when a hacker gets into your account anyway? You'll have to contact EA just like I would. Only difference is you kept changing your password to 'stay safe,' although multiple people in this thread are admitting that none of it is all that safe.

Let's just say you should do everything in your power to increase the time it takes to break into your account.

There have been instances in another game where the company couldn't figure out who actually owned the account. That company permanently bans accounts in which two people can present enough evidence to show they own the account.

So you should do whatever you can to reduce your chances of that happening to you.

I'm sure they can't provide all of the receipts that I have for purchases. Doesn't matter what anyone says. Still not changing it. :p

I'm sure they can't provide all of the receipts that I have for purchases. Still not changing it. :p

All they would need is one to provide doubt.

I would hope that your ability to play the games on your Origin account at any time you want would be worth doing whatever it takes to keep your account safe. But I guess not.

You say you work on computers yet you don't do things that increase your security. That makes me wonder about the validity of you actually working on computers. Not saying you're lying, but that lack of basic internet security throws a nice big red flag.
  • MaddieplaysgamesMaddieplaysgames Posts: 125 Member
    NOOOOOO
    edited May 2019

I'm sure they can't provide all of the receipts that I have for purchases. Still not changing it. :p

I would hope that your ability to play the games on your Origin account at any time you want would be worth doing whatever it takes to keep your account safe. But I guess not.

You say you work on computers yet you don't do things that increase your security. That makes me wonder about the validity of you actually working on computers. Not saying you're lying, but that lack of basic internet security throws a nice big red flag.

I don't care what you believe. I've been sick for a long time, and I'm choosing to use my energy elsewhere. Not changing it. That is all.

I don't care what you believe. I've been sick for a long time, and I'm choosing to use my energy elsewhere. Not changing it. That is all.

Then don't come complaining on the forum about losing your Origin account. Because you chose to not make your account 100% safe when you knew it wasn't.
    edited May 2019

Now you get it. Awesome.

Removed quoted post ~Rtas
    Post edited by EA_Rtas on
  • marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    edited May 2019

I'm sure they can't provide all of the receipts that I have for purchases. Doesn't matter what anyone says. Still not changing it. :p

this

same with me

my bank statements and emails show I paid for my games, if those isn't proof i don't know what is.
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member

Don't come complaining to us once someone gets into your account. Honestly, it's just smart to change your password.

what could a simmer do about it tho anyway, I would not come on here and complain about it I would be online or on the phone to origin not the forums for the game
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• AriaMad2AriaMad2 Posts: 1,380 Member
    Is EA aware of the situation?
    F€€Ł ŦĦ€ ŴΔV€ ØF ŞØỮŇĐ, ΔŞ ƗŦ ĆŘΔŞĦ€Ş ĐØŴŇ

ĴØIŇ UŞ ĆØŇŞUΜ€ ŦĦ€ FŘUIŦ ØF ŦĦ€ ΜØŦĦ€Ř ΔŇĐ KŇØŴ P€ΔĆ€
  • SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    That is a strange attitude... "No way to stay 100% safe so I'm not even gonna try to do anything at all". Might aswell post all your information all over the internet.
    I believe nobody cares if someone's account gets hacked, they know what they're doing, it's just the illogicality of this attitude.
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • MMXMMX Posts: 4,426 Member
    edited May 2019
    I just find it rather abnormal to be so defensive on refusing to change your password because of the aforementioned "No way to stay 100% safe so I'm not even gonna try to do anything at all" mentality.

Removed quoted post ~Rtas
    Post edited by EA_Rtas on
    9d1z2m12k175.png
  • GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    MMX wrote: »
    marcel21 wrote: »
    That is a strange attitude... "No way to stay 100% safe so I'm not even gonna try to do anything at all". Might aswell post all your information all over the internet.
    I believe nobody cares if someone's account gets hacked, they know what they're doing, it's just the illogicality of this attitude.
    To be totally and utterly honest, IceyJ's attitude is comparable to a child who doesn't have a problem with eating their vegetables unless told to by their parents.

I disagree with you here and find your comment a little offensives to the simmer be honest.
    I just find it rather abnormal to be so defensive on refusing to change your password because of the aforementioned "No way to stay 100% safe so I'm not even gonna try to do anything at all" mentality.

True. But at the end of the day it falls to the individual. And if they feel secure enough with their password, and feel safe keeping it. Then no reason to try to convince them other wise.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    AriaMad2 wrote: »
    Is EA aware of the situation?

I believe they've been made aware on other social media platforms (such as twitter. Maybe reddit, as well, not 100% on that).
    p8L4V6v.png
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    I saw this yesterday and added the 2 step verification.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,284 Member
    I just took some of the measures EA suggested to secure my account. The only thing that bothers me is that lately, any time I've downloaded a lot from My Library, (and sometimes, it's a lot I have built), I get a notice telling me some items have been removed because they aren't owned by this account. :open_mouth: Like I said, some of these lots are ones I BUILT. I have paid real money for the packs listed on my account. What the heck? Luckily, I am unable to discover just what is missing, so perhaps, it's just a bug?

Then to get a warning from Discord, about this hacking of EA accounts going on, I'm dubious. I'm not fooling around. This is one way I find to relax and have a bit of fun. I'll be horn-swaggled if I'll allow myself to be hacked and for the hacker to get away with it!

Take care and happy Simming!
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • HillyBethHillyBeth Posts: 3,505 Member
    Not one to All Caps a title but this is pretty important.

According to Sims Community, there's a pretty nasty scam going on where someone (or some group) is hijacking Origin Accounts then giving them away (with all packs/games) as a "friendly gesture".

https://simscommunity.info/2019/05/10/secure-your-account-malicious-origin-account-giveaways-have-started-surfacing/

Check your account, change your password, enable two-factor authentication (so if you log in from a different computer you'll have to enter a code sent to your phone or email), and unlink from Origin any credit cards (sure, it's a hassle to have to enter your card number every time you make a purchase, but better a few extra keystrokes than to have your card pilfered).

The cards I always used were Origin cards. One-time uses. A friend of mine bought me a lot of my sims 4 packs using PayPal.
    Origin ID
    HillyPlays
    P.A.C.E- Positive Attitude Changes Everything
    edited May 2019
    marcel21 wrote: »
    To be totally and utterly honest, IceyJ's attitude is comparable to a child who doesn't have a problem with eating their vegetables unless told to by their parents.

I disagree with you here and find your comment a little offensives to the simmer be honest.

True. But at the end of the day it falls to the individual. And if they feel secure enough with their password, and feel safe keeping it. Then no reason to try to convince them other wise.

That's the thing. They shouldn't feel secure enough as they've been getting the two factor authentication requests. That's what's mind blowing and so illogical. Why would anyone feel secure about a password that they know has been compromised?!

That's what those of us going "what?!" to iceyj have been trying to do: do our due diligence as good people to convince iceyj that they should not feel secure about their current password.

Edit: but it's like horses and water. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink it.
  • sims2freak737sims2freak737 Posts: 2,543 Member
    Thanks for passing this information along. I changed my password, removed my card information and added on 2-step verification.
  • luxsylvanluxsylvan Posts: 1,922 Member
    Thank you SO MUCH for letting us all know @stilljustme2 ! I've passed the info along to others who don't go on here, and we're doing everything mentioned. Better safe than sorry. :)
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Not one to All Caps a title but this is pretty important.

According to Sims Community, there's a pretty nasty scam going on where someone (or some group) is hijacking Origin Accounts then giving them away (with all packs/games) as a "friendly gesture".

https://simscommunity.info/2019/05/10/secure-your-account-malicious-origin-account-giveaways-have-started-surfacing/

Check your account, change your password, enable two-factor authentication (so if you log in from a different computer you'll have to enter a code sent to your phone or email), and unlink from Origin any credit cards (sure, it's a hassle to have to enter your card number every time you make a purchase, but better a few extra keystrokes than to have your card pilfered).

Thanks for the heads up. :)
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen