Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

*SECURITY ALERT*

Not one to All Caps a title but this is pretty important.

According to Sims Community, there's a pretty nasty scam going on where someone (or some group) is hijacking Origin Accounts then giving them away (with all packs/games) as a "friendly gesture".

https://simscommunity.info/2019/05/10/secure-your-account-malicious-origin-account-giveaways-have-started-surfacing/

Check your account, change your password, enable two-factor authentication (so if you log in from a different computer you'll have to enter a code sent to your phone or email), and unlink from Origin any credit cards (sure, it's a hassle to have to enter your card number every time you make a purchase, but better a few extra keystrokes than to have your card pilfered).
Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)

Comments

• collegemommaof3collegemommaof3 Posts: 131 Member
    wonder if this is why its not in my favorites anymore?? Ill be changing my password. Its still on my pc though.
  • katastrxphexxkatastrxphexx Posts: 99 Member
    thank you for the warning, i'll definitely watch out for this scam!! :)
    6f4f6cd2ab6a98484802c3e49c862f2c.gif
  • marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    Not one to All Caps a title but this is pretty important.

According to Sims Community, there's a pretty nasty scam going on where someone (or some group) is hijacking Origin Accounts then giving them away (with all packs/games) as a "friendly gesture".

https://simscommunity.info/2019/05/10/secure-your-account-malicious-origin-account-giveaways-have-started-surfacing/

Check your account, change your password, enable two-factor authentication (so if you log in from a different computer you'll have to enter a code sent to your phone or email), and unlink from Origin any credit cards (sure, it's a hassle to have to enter your card number every time you make a purchase, but better a few extra keystrokes than to have your card pilfered).

then giving them away (with all packs/games) as a "friendly gesture".

you can give your packs away from our origin accounts?
    I have noticed origin asking me to confirm who I am whenever i try to login to this website using a friends phone.
    this is worrying

Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,907 Member
    I always enter and then remove my credit card details before and after every purchase as I'm getting very paranoid these days. I'll check my account though. Thanks.
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    Someone in Russia keeps trying to log into my Origin account. I know because EA keeps texting me the login code in Russian. I removed all payment info years ago, but I still added two-factor authorization just in case. Didn't change my password; I like my password, lol.
  • So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    IceyJ wrote: »
    Someone in Russia keeps trying to log into my Origin account. I know because EA keeps texting me the login code in Russian. I removed all payment info years ago, but I still added two-factor authorization just in case. Didn't change my password; I like my password, lol.

If the hackers are making it to the 2-factor stage, they already know your password.
  • ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    So_Money wrote: »

If the hackers are making it to the 2-factor stage, they already know your password.

This. It would be smart to change your password, whether you like it or not. Come up with a new one you like. Write it down, so you don't forget. If they are at the authorization, they know your password.
    p8L4V6v.png
    edited May 2019

Obviously. Not changing it; I like my password, lol. As long as they can't get in, I don't care. I have different passwords for other sites, so I'm not concerned about the possiblity of them using it elsewhere.
    edited May 2019

Obviously. Not changing it; I like my password, lol. As long as they can't get in, I don't care.

What is there to like about a password that isn’t secure?
  • SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    edited May 2019

Obviously. Not changing it; I like my password, lol. As long as they can't get in, I don't care. I have various passwords all over, so I'm not concerned about the possiblity of them using it elsewhere.

tbh you're asking for them to get in with this.
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
    Simpkin wrote: »

Obviously. Not changing it; I like my password, lol. As long as they can't get in, I don't care. I have various passwords all over, so I'm not concerned about the possiblity of them using it elsewhere.

Really? Are they coming to take my phone? What's the point of two-point authorization if it doesn't work.
  • ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member

Really? Are they coming to take my phone? What's the point of two-point authorization if it doesn't work.

You're an grown adult (I'm assuming, if not, you are still in control of your own decisions) if you choose not to change your password, that's one you, but I hope you wouldn't be one of those people that will be complaining that EA didn't do enough to protect your account when they do finally get in. I guess the term of 'hacker' doesn't register with you. Two-factor isn't bullet proof. It's suppose to be a warning system to alert the user to change their password and better protect their account. It's as much your responsibility to keep your account safe as it is EA's.
    p8L4V6v.png
    There's no payment info; they can't buy anything. All they can do is take over the account. I contact EA with my proof; I get it back. That's how it works. Now, if a hacker wants to go through the extensive trouble of trying to hack my phone, more power to 'em. B)

There is already a tool out there capable of bypassing 2FA. As @ChelleJo said, it’s not bulletproof.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Thanks for the heads up! I changed my password to be on the safe side.
    edited May 2019
    ChelleJo wrote: »

You're an grown adult (I'm assuming, if not, you are still in control of your own decisions) if you choose not to change your password, that's one you, but I hope you wouldn't be one of those people that will be complaining that EA didn't do enough to protect your account when they do finally get in. I guess the term of 'hacker' doesn't register with you. Two-factor isn't bullet proof. It's suppose to be a warning system to alert the user to change their password and better protect their account. It's as much your responsibility to keep your account safe as it is EA's.

Nothing is bullet-proof, so why are you all bothering? Why do any of this if a hacker can get in anyway??? It's not the first password I've ever had. I've changed passwords many times for many reasons. I'm just choosing not to change it this time. I'll let you know how it goes.
    edited May 2019

There is already a tool out there capable of bypassing 2FA. As @ChelleJo said, it’s not bulletproof.

So? If they've gotten all of my previous passwords, you think they can't get the next one? And the next one? And the one after that? So I'm relying on the additional security measures. Either it'll work, or it won't. That's all.

I actually waited before adding two-factor because I'm tired of changing passwords and just don't care to continue. I'll get my account back if I need to.
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member

It does work most of the time, but that doesn’t mean it will work 100% of the time always. In the event that your account is compromised, good luck getting it back without a mandatory password change.
    edited May 2019

So? If they've gotten all of my previous passwords, you think they can't get the next one? And the next one? And the one after that? So I'm relying on the additional security measures. Either it'll work, or it won't. That's all.

Not necessarily. There are any number of factors that could play into one password being hacked where another is not.

How strong is one compared to another? How many times was one used online compared to another, where was it entered, and over what duration of time? How were the passwords stored/encrypted? What was the interval between password changes?

Anyway, I think we were just trying to help. But if you don’t want to hear it, that’s perfectly fine.

Nothing is bullet-proof, so why are you all bothering? Why do any of this if a hacker can get in anyway??? It's not the first password I've ever had. I've changed passwords many times for many reasons. I'm just choosing not to change it this time. I'll let you know how it goes.

not everyone is so careless, that's why.

It does work most of the time, but that doesn’t mean it will work 100% of the time always. In the event that your account is compromised, good luck getting it back without a mandatory password change.

I'm fully aware of the risks. :) I'd rather do that when necessary than have to change it every day.

I'm fully aware of the risks. :) I'd rather do that when necessary than have to change it every day.

yes, when you have unusual activity on your account, it's time to change. It does not happen every day. I didn't rea one post here saying you need to change it every day.
    edited May 2019

not everyone is so careless, that's why.

Um, okay? So, what happens when a hacker gets into your account anyway? You'll have to contact EA just like I would. Only difference is you kept changing your password to 'stay safe,' although multiple people in this thread are admitting that none of it is all that safe.
    edited May 2019

yes, when you have unusual activity on your account, it's time to change. It does not happen every day. I didn't rea one post here saying you need to change it every day.

How do you know it doesn't happen every day to me? Or every week, or every month? Our experiences will not be the same.

Regardless, it's too often as I have hundreds of accounts spanning approx. 15 years of websites. I choose my battles. If there is unusual activity on my bank account, I'm changing that one immediately.
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member

If you are getting two-factor alerts every day then you have a serious problem somewhere. Are you sharing your account with someone? Online? Hackers don’t just guess your password they get it from you, one way or another. You should always have anti-virus software on pc.