Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you remember the first time you played a sims game?

Just curious what everyone's first experience was like.

It was super chaotic for 5-year-old me, I was super stressed! My first game was The Sims 1, I was playing the Goth family, and I thought you're supposed to watch and observe your sims' lives. I didn't realise you can click on them and make them do things until much later lol. So I sat there in horror watching Bella, Mortimer and Cassandra spend 2 sim days mourning at the graveyard, and then dying horrible deaths.

Comments

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Sim City 2000, in 1995. (For Windows). I started playing the life simulator The Sims in late 2000. Adventure games were more my forte. I wasn't in the know about The Sims until my son told me about it since I was always on the hunt for the next best adventure game. So, it had already been a big splash by the time I decided to try it late in 2000. I liked it alright, it was fun, but I still played adventure games when I wasn't working 24/7.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    I was a teenager, it was 2003. I was hanging out with my then boyfriend in his house one day and his mother was playing The Sims in the living room. It caught my attention and she explained what kind of game it was and let me play a bit.
    I was hooked. Since then, every weekend I'd go to my boyfriend's house to play the game, he got pretty annoyed that I didn't want to play other games with him on the console that often anymore. His mother though, completely understood my new found adiction.

A year later, The Sims 2 came out and I bought it on release date. I still remember the feeling of playing TS2 for the first time like if it was yesterday.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • SmellincoffeeSmellincoffee Posts: 961 Member
    edited May 2019
    Absolutely! I was already sold on the original game because of the trailer included with SimCity 3000. I bought it on a Sunday afternoon, at the time my father bought a patio swing. I remember that bit because he interrupted me after a few hours of playing to help him put the swing together! I played the tutorial a little bit but hit esc in the middle of it, and was surprised when Betty joined the household. I tried creating a household and moved them into that tiny house (9 Sim Lane? or 7 Sim Lane...) and couldn't figure out the wall tools. I was young and it was a VERY different kind of game. I was really annoyed that I couldn't have distinct saves, like I could in SimCity 2000 -- my next door neighbor and I would trade cities on floppy disks. Of course, by the time Sims 3 came around we DID have distinct saves, but that was a long away away.

I have SOOOOOOOOO many fond memories of Sims 1 and all that followed. It was the game that made me comfortable interacting with files, exploring them to see what could be changed. LONG before Hot Date allowed us to buy pajamas, I'd found out how to change file names to make any clothes I wanted into pajamas. I can also vividly remember first playing Sims 2 -- being AMAZED by the camera. Sims 3 was mostly memorable for the open world...I remember following my little mini-me on a bicycle to work, being awestruck by the ability to just follow people around, instead of jumping from one place to the next.

For whatever its failings and abuses at the hands of EA, it's still a great series.

Cinebar wrote: »
    Sim City 2000, in 1995. (For Windows). I started playing the life simulator The Sims in late 2000. Adventure games were more my forte. I wasn't in the know about The Sims until my son told me about it since I was always on the hunt for the next best adventure game. So, it had already been a big splash by the time I decided to try it late in 2000. I liked it alright, it was fun, but I still played adventure games when I wasn't working 24/7.

SimCity 2000 was my introduction to Maxis, too! (And..PC games.) Walmart had it installed on a display computer, and I didn't know how to play the game so I'd just plonk down roads and parks and other buildings until I was out of money.
  • sunblondsunblond Posts: 1,035 Member
    Well, my first Sims experience was in 2014, when I played Sims Freeplay. After I played it almost incessantly, I bought a copy of Sims 4 in Jan. of 2015. I've played Sims ever since, I have copies of Sims 2 and 3 now too. Definitely hooked.
    Origin ID is: sobenewbie
  • notasmokealarm09notasmokealarm09 Posts: 240 Member
    Sims 1 in 2003 for me. I was smitten from day one!
    Had to sneaky buy it for myself though. Was looking at it one day, and my parents didn't like why it was rated T. So I wasn't allowed to buy it when they were with me.

From there I expanded to 2. No regrets on my teenage sneaking. :p
  • BusufuBusufu Posts: 1,965 Member
    2003 Sims 1 with the Goths <3
    Sul Sul!
    On my blog (German) you'll find two completed vampire stories 🦇 and an ongoing ghost story 👻.
    I'm also posting about my I'm surrounded by idi🤪ts! - challenge, in which I've now reached gen 9.
    Thanks for stopping by! 👋
  • annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    Gosh, I must have been about 10 when The Sims first came out and I played it for the first time. I don't remember the exact moment I first played it, but I do remember how my interest first became piqued after a friend told me about it. We were in primary school and supposed to be learning about geography, but ended up talking about it all lesson instead. I got the game soon after and I have been a simmer ever since. My memories of playing TS2 for the first time are a lot clearer. My parents bought it for me for Christmas and I played it all day after dinner. Ah, those were the days!
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I played the Sims 1 for a day or two but wasn't impressed with it due to not having any ageing. I couldn't see the point in sims that are stuck, never aging, never progressing as a family. That kind of sim play doesn't appeal to me at all.
  • AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    Bought a new Gateway computer in 2000 and came with a bundle of games and software that was included with the price. About two years later I was moving and was packing up my desk and found The Sims in one of the drawers. I opened it and installed it while packing up more stuff. About two weeks later after getting settled I noticed The Sims icon in my start menu and I clicked it. I played for hours. I think if I remember correctly I started with the Newbies. I was hooked and I have been playing anything Sims (computer) related ever since. I played The Sims Online and was there until EA closed it. (EA announced that The Sims Online would be improved renamed it EA-Land and then closed it. I was devastated.) Anyway I think I owed all of The Sims 1 and 2. The Sims 3 is uncompleted. That game never did work well so went back to The Sims 2 and only built in the Sims 3 (loved house boats) until The Sims 4 came out. The Sims Medieval and building in The Sims 3 are my most fond memories. In real life I am still online friends with some of the people I met playing The Sims Online. (met some in person) That feeling I got the first time I played is still with me! I play The Sims 4 almost everyday!
  • DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    edited May 2019
    I was at least five when I first started playing The Sims on the GameCube, back in 2003. I honestly don’t remember too many memorable moments from the game, other than being absolutely horrified whenever a burglar would come by. The music terrified me. :D I already knew how to play because I’d watched my mother play through the whole game multiple times before, and I understood the concept since I’d also watched my oldest sister play TS1 on PC.
  • SmellincoffeeSmellincoffee Posts: 961 Member
    AnnLee87 wrote: »
    Bought a new Gateway computer in 2000 and came with a bundle of games and software that was included with the price. About two years later I was moving and was packing up my desk and found The Sims in one of the drawers. I opened it and installed it while packing up more stuff. About two weeks later after getting settled I noticed The Sims icon in my start menu and I clicked it. I played for hours. I think if I remember correctly I started with the Newbies. I was hooked and I have been playing anything Sims (computer) related ever since. I played The Sims Online and was there until EA closed it. (EA announced that The Sims Online would be improved renamed it EA-Land and then closed it. I was devastated.) Anyway I think I owed all of The Sims 1 and 2. The Sims 3 is uncompleted. That game never did work well so went back to The Sims 2 and only built in the Sims 3 (loved house boats) until The Sims 4 came out. The Sims Medieval and building in The Sims 3 are my most fond memories. In real life I am still online friends with some of the people I met playing The Sims Online. (met some in person) That feeling I got the first time I played is still with me! I play The Sims 4 almost everyday!

I never played The Sims Online, but a lot of the objects from it were extracted by modders and made available. Very cool stuff in that game!

• TechbiltTechbilt Posts: 258 Member
    I was probably 11 or 12, went to a friends house with some other friends we all took turns (except me I didn't get a turn) playing families in strangetown, looks for the game for like a year to see how much I needed to save up for, waited for my birthday to come around then took my birthday money and bought sims 2 with Nightlife bundle and installed it onto the used computer I just got for my birthday. :>
  • VoraginousVoraginous Posts: 69 Member
    I was at least five when I first started playing The Sims on the GameCube, back in 2003. I honestly don’t remember too many memorable moments from the game, other than being absolutely horrified whenever a burglar would come by. The music terrified me. :D I already knew how to play because I’d watched my mother play through the whole game multiple times before, and I understood the concept since I’d also watched my oldest sister play TS1 on PC.

oh my goodness yes! My entire body would jump and my heart would race like crazy the instant I heard the burglar sound. If I can be really honest, the sound still kinda terrifies me hahaha
  • doogeriedoogerie Posts: 765 Member
    edited May 2019
    I have been playing the sims since day 1 I remember I thought the first game was good but not the best game ever I think when it really got me was the sims 2 suddenly I could make a unique person. Me and the Sims 2 had a rocky start.

I was in my last year of A levels our house had just been robbed but I had managed to get hold of the CAS demo silver linings and all that. anyway, the 🐸🐸🐸🐸 had taken all my notes (so I couldn't revise).

So just imagen the situation I am sitting upstairs on my computer and had just spent 2 hours on the CAS making a family feeling a little violated, when I get told that my Grandmother had just died so that was the worst day ever and from then on the Sims2 cas demo reminded me of my Grandmother but in an odd way the game and the demo helped me get through that bad time in my life.
  • NoWayJose527NoWayJose527 Posts: 1,456 Member
    I played Sim City first and loved it, then grabbed The Sims. I watched Bob and Betty Newbie move around a bit, and then wanted to create my own sims, of course. But I had no idea what to do in Create-a-Sim, and my first sim (who was supposed to be a young woman in her 20's) ended up looking more like an old lady. It was only because she had this old-fashioned gray hair style, but I couldn't figure out how to change it. Later she took up bodybuilding, and it was so funny to see this old-looking woman pumping iron. Then, of course, I ended up killing off Bella Goth because I didn't realize she had to learn to cook before she could safely use the stove, and their child was soon taken away by the social worker -- well, sent off to military school, I think it was back in those days.

So, I have to say my first simming experiences weren't too successful, but I gradually figured out what to do and how to do it, for the most part, at least.
  • mebagl15mebagl15 Posts: 563 Member
    Yes it was The Sims (1). My son brought it home because all the kids (teens) were playing it. He asked for help making his houses playable in the game. I got hooked building houses. We used to disagree on when and who got to play. We only had one computer and one game in those days.
  • jurahajuraha Posts: 2 New Member
    Guys Hi! I need your help. Is there anyone know running animation in this video? (The Sims 4™ Get Famous: Official Launch Trailer) (I can't share link)
    How can ı use that (for my machinima) 0:42 second PLS Guys
  • SerraNolwenSerraNolwen Posts: 731 Member
    I think I was 9 or 10 years old when I first played Sims 1. I don't remember much about the very first game I played, because of this, except I remember having lots of fun creating characters and picking their attributes, then plopping them down in a pre-built house. I don't remember what I had them do, though. The funny thing is, so many years later, I still don't play with pre-made sims and still usually pick pre-made homes, at least when starting my game (I don't like building starter homes).
  • FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    edited May 2019
    Officially loving this thread!

The first time when I was introduced to the sims 1, was when I was 10. My friend in school had this game when it just came out as they always had all the newest games and such. My family didn't. So, she said 'I have this very cool game, we can play.' and i sat side of her and watched her play with little puppets called sims. I was amazed by it as the latest game style I knew was ehh.. Nintendo 98 or something? She played a couple and then the neighbors would come over (welcome wagon) and hearing all those little sounds of sims talking and the doorbell was just WOW for me. I remember she had that dark red kitchen counter and I thought it was beautiful.

She actually didn't let me play, yeah I know.. -_- But I needed that game from that point on and as it was quite expensive, I lent it from my friend one day (my sister did the same with her friend who had the sims as well and lent the expansion Deluxe). We installed it on our PC and then found out that you need the latest disk to actually keep playing it. In the end, we had to return the deluxe EP, but we could play the basegame only. My mother bought us 2 more packs which were 'On vacation' and 'Party'.
    Me and my two sisters were playing a LOT. My mom used to set an alarm for every 30 min, so we wouldn't fight who could play. We just sat and watched each other play and waited for our turn. While I was watching my sisters play, I was also planning what i would do next with my sims :D
    Sometimes one of my sims would walk by the house of my sisters sims when she was playing and we always had to make sure none of us would ruin the relationship of each other sims by cheating etc. It was funny, but I kept my eye on them o_o

Two songs we always listened to when we played The sims 1 for the first time were:

In your eyes - Kylie Minogue
    Rainy days - Mary J blige ft. J Rule

Whenever I hear these.. I go: omgggggg The sims 1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,823 Member
    My sister bought the original Sims with her first job. Only my older brother was allowed to play for about a year before they let me play. I got to play right when House Party came out. I was 11 and had a habit of starting up a new sale file every time I played which really annoyed my siblings. Eventually, I settled on only playing the Mashuga family. I remember asking for the Unleashed EP for Christmas and immediately lost it when we got home. It wasn't until a few months later did we find it in the house. That was my favorite pack of the series... The soundtracks were my jam and Old Town was pretty awesome too.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    edited May 2019
    Yes, I do. It was in 2006. I got The Sims (1) from my classmate. I played with Bob Newbie. I was really confused at first but I immediately fell in love with the game. Such beautiful times I've had since :)
    Post edited by DoloresGrey on
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    Vaguely. I don't remember the specific details of when I first fired up The Sims back in 2000, but I have fond memories of the time in general.
  • SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    I can't remember the first time of S1 but I remember playing it.

I remember the first S2 gameplay. I got twins and one got taken away cause I did'nt know how to handle the game :D

I remember the first time playing S3 too. My woman got a job as a doctor and she was on call ever evening. And she had a baby too, was a single mum. I hated the game lol I thought it was so hard. I quit the job.

I didn't like S4 the first time either cause when I tested it out, before I started my legacy, I had a dude in my household a kid too and the man was all angry with the kid. All by himself, without my input. I threw me off a little. But then I started my legacy and I've loved the game ever since.
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    I was in early grade school. The latest pack out at the time was The Sims Vacation, so this was around 2002. My sister brought home a copy, and the moment I saw it was a digital dollhouse, I was sold.

I (and by that I mean my sister hogging the mouse and keyboard while I dictated) made a couple named Joe and Emilia Smith, the most generic American name kid me thought of. Emilia worked in the science career while I had full control of Joe the whole day. Joe tried to change a lamp's light bulb with no mechanical skill and got electrocuted to death. Immediately after that, Emilia started a kitchen fire.

We didn't save
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    Simpkin wrote: »
    I can't remember the first time of S1 but I remember playing it.

I remember the first S2 gameplay. I got twins and one got taken away cause I did'nt know how to handle the game :D

I remember the first time playing S3 too. My woman got a job as a doctor and she was on call ever evening. And she had a baby too, was a single mum. I hated the game lol I thought it was so hard. I quit the job.

I didn't like S4 the first time either cause when I tested it out, before I started my legacy, I had a dude in my household a kid too and the man was all angry with the kid. All by himself, without my input. I threw me off a little. But then I started my legacy and I've loved the game ever since.

Ooh, about S1, I actually remember my friend being like "I have this game, my classmate gave it to me, do you wanna play?" I guess we played it together then. I didn't have a computer at the time myself so I didn't know anything about computer games.
    She was the same with S2. She was like, it's like sims but it's a new game. I didn't understand the concept of different iterations at all :D
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)