Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

SimGuruLyndsay's possible hints for a new color-related feature/update *SPECULATION*

Before I'm gonna talk about the actual topic, please note that I may be completely wrong or this thing may not play out exactly as I have thought of it in my head, so stay kind and feel free to comment as long as you are being nice to everyone in this thread :) thank you.

So, lately I noticed how the SimGurus added a new white color swatch for the shelf that is in the base game. I find it a little weird that they would add just one (1) colour swatch to one single item in the game. Hmmm...
The next thing I noticed is, my friend told me that he heard they apparently talked in the April MM livestream about how complicated it was for them to make that white colour swatch. And SimGuruLyndsay just recently tweeted a new tweet saying "felt cute, might change color later, idk..." and there was a picture of a black door color swatch. Something is off...

Also, they never stated that they will NEVER be able to make a colour wheel or a CAST for The Sims 4, they confirmed they have no plans for it back in 2017/2018 if I can remember correctly. But the fact that they made it for pets is still bothering me.

And I gotta tell you one more thing...
I know this may not happen, but...back in January 2017, days before it happened, I swear I remember I had a dream that toddlers would be released into the game VERY soon...and bam...they were out a few days later! It was like a dream come true for me.

And now I just had a dream that I read news on SimsVIP that they showed a Create a Style/Colour Wheel tool in an upcoming Maxis Monthly livestream for The Sims 4, and so many Simmers were freaking out of excitement. I also remember how SimGuruGraham laughed in one livestream that happened this year, when they were talking about the colour swatches...this also links to what SimGuruLyndsay stated in the May Maxis Monthly livestream regarding the colour swatch: "there will be things coming in some things soon"....she didn't clearly state that they are ONLY going to add more colour swatches...I interpreted it in a different way...it seemed to me like she was teasing something more...I wish but we will see, let's not get our hopes up just yet!

I am very happy that C&D have their own colour wheel though. But we definitely need more attention to the colour options for the Sims in CAS and build/buy mode objects as well! :)

Thank you for reading this! And have a great, Simtastic day! :blush:

Comments

• drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    We’ve been told it’s not feasible to add and there are no plans on adding a color wheel/CASt. Those two statements together say this feature will never come to Sims 4.

They could easily spend a year or more redesigning every in-game asset, and the end result wouldn’t boost sales (maybe, but probably not enough to justify the cost) it would however effect performance because this game was never designed to accommodate that type of feature.

I think recolors are going to be their new thing for a bit. I’m ok with it, but I wish they would include more than one recolored object. Recoloring what you have is cheaper than commissioning something brand new, so I feel like they could give it a little more in that regard.
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    I believe they add new colors to existing items because we were lacking those colors. This happens mostly with older items that came in the base game or the first few packs. I know there are several older items that never seem to fit (color-wise) with what I need so I use newer stuff with more choices.

As for a color wheel, they have made it clear that it is not possible to add that to the game. I imagine it would be too time consuming and expensive. They would need to add more colors to every item we already have and it might mess up existing builds by replacing old colors with new.

It might be possible, in an architecture pack or interior designer pack, to add a few new items that could have a color wheel attached but it would only work for those few items, not everything.

I don't really need a color wheel at this point in this version. Maybe there will be one in S5.
  • thesimmer14thesimmer14 Posts: 393 Member
    I've actually thought that the shelf-color tease was a little suspicious too! I think that a lot of people wanted a color wheel for CAS items. I also think that adding a color wheel to more static items [ex: objects from Build/Buy] would make more sense in terms of feasibility.

Additionally, since we are getting a 64-bit update next month, I don't think that the possibility of their verdict changing is off the table. They are "upgrading" the game, and while I'm not an expert on how this process may work, it feels natural to guess that we could see a color-wheel added to B/B content.

Also.. given the frustration we've been voicing towards the game in the past months concerning a lack of new content, I think teasing a single white shelf is a bit too mean. There has to be another meaning behind it..
  • ULIBABA66ULIBABA66 Posts: 2,038 Member
    I've actually thought that the shelf-color tease was a little suspicious too! I think that a lot of people wanted a color wheel for CAS items. I also think that adding a color wheel to more static items [ex: objects from Build/Buy] would make more sense in terms of feasibility.

Additionally, since we are getting a 64-bit update next month, I don't think that the possibility of their verdict changing is off the table. They are "upgrading" the game, and while I'm not an expert on how this process may work, it feels natural to guess that we could see a color-wheel added to B/B content.

Also.. given the frustration we've been voicing towards the game in the past months concerning a lack of new content, I think teasing a single white shelf is a bit too mean. There has to be another meaning behind it..

Yeah, and I think somebody noticed there is a glitch/bug in the game regarding the white shelf. Apparently it doesn't appear under the white color filter...hmmm...I know this can be sketchy-sounding but I feel like the answer could be the fact that they have used a yet-unreleased feature for the game that lets you recolour objects like doors and walls more precisely, i.e. a possible colour wheel? Anything could happen. Remember to be open-minded, even if they won't add this feature back ever, we mighy get something totally unexpected and different but yet even better maybe! Everything is possible if you ask me. :)

Also Simmers should remember that the Gurus will keep on denying any future plans or future content since they cannot discuss it. Also the news on whatever they are working on at the moment will not be shared until they are ready to show it. ;)

I think I have the right to have hope for this game. Everyone has their own wishes and ideas for The Sims 4, and we all should respect them. I don't know much about game programming either, but one can dream lol.
  • ddd994ddd994 Posts: 418 Member
    Maybe this has something to do with the upcoming 64bit patch?
  • ULIBABA66ULIBABA66 Posts: 2,038 Member
    ddd994 wrote: »

Yeah, if I'm being honest here, I think that the upcoming 64bit only patch means that now they won't have to worry about game performance for the 32bit computer players, and they will have some more freedom to possibly allow bigger and more complex systems like a colour wheel/CAST, bigger worlds (possible even a Create a World tool?) and more detailed features/items for the game. I hope at least SOME of this will happen, I'm not 100% sold on it yet, but I really do hope so. And I think we all do (I mean, we need way more attention to different playstyles and areas of the game like the play mode, build mode, playing with supernatural occults etc.)
    Well, if there's anything we should expect this year, it's the fact that SimGurus have said that this year will be amazing. (And I personally really loved last year with Seasons and Get Famous + the updates) :)
  • SerraNolwenSerraNolwen Posts: 731 Member
    I'm not a CC creator, so I don't know exactly what the code looks like and how much it can currently be tweaked, but I'm pretty sure adding a colour wheel (or worse, CaSt) to everything would require a tremendous amount of work. There are also a lot of designs you can't really make into patterns, which is why I say CaSt seems particularly difficult to implement. Add to that the fact that if they change it, it has to be patched in (which means no revenue except from the few people who refused to buy the game just because of that and who are still somehow keeping up with news...) and that it would be pretty heavy on computers to run it, and I find it very, very unlikely.

I think the black and white build and buy assets coming out are mostly things the devs have done in their free time to please some very vocal community members (such as youtubers) who had been asking for those swatches for a very long time. As they have finally figured out how to make black and white swatches that don't look flat or grey, they're making a few updates when they can, considering it doesn't bring money to their bosses (EA). That's my guess, at least, but of course, I'm not in their heads.

Basically, I wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you. (Also, I'll admit I'm not part of the crowd that wants infinite colour and design possibilities. I didn't actually use it much in Sims 3 because it got overwhelming. Still, I'm not saying this because I don't want it to happen, I'm sure it would make a lot of people very happy and I would make use of it once in a while. I'm just trying to be realistic.)
  • filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    The Sim Supply interviewed SimGuruLindsay not too long ago and in the interview he asked her about the colour wheel and she flat out said that it’s not possible to add that feature do to design decisions made during early development of the game. It’s been confirmed that we will not be getting a colour wheel, both by SimGuruLindsay and SimGuruGrant on Twitter some time ago. I’m pretty sure we’re just going to be getting more swatches.
  • 12JEREMIA12JEREMIA Posts: 3,143 Member
    Maybe color wheels are the best thing to recolor everything
  • jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,860 Member
    We won't be getting a color wheel. as other have posted they've plainly said it's not possible. Well technically I guess it COULD be, if time, money and workhours were infinite. It is not feasibly a productive thing to do. Even with that though I still hold out hope that maybe with some older items we might get a limited color palette. The option to at least choose the basics: Black, White, Grey, Pink, Red, Blue, Yellow, Green, Purple, Orange and Brown.
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    The only thing hinted is they are adding more color swatches like the white shelf as much as I'd love a color wheel its just not happening with Sims 4 it ends at Pets.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    The tweet you’re referring too she showed a solid black color door, something some players have been asking for a while. As for the “feeling cute...idk” is a meme that was going around when she tweeted that.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I really doubt there will ever be a color wheel for objects or hair. I think if I remember it correctly a game changer was after the gurus to add a different color to some shelves. One of them tweeted about that with a joke. I think that is why you will see this white shelf. To me, it's really sad after five years, so much gushing was going on over on twitter over a white shelf recolor. Like fire had been discovered or the wheel had been invented. I can't get into all this hype anymore. The old saying is you have to strike the iron while it's hot, and they are about five years off in my book. Graham explained how the UI messes up when you try to add more hair colors to the game, and it goes weird and messes up the entire UI so, I doubt they are going to do more swatches and or color wheel or CASt or anything like that for a large amount of objects or hairstyles or clothes or anything. And it's a dollar short and a day late as far as I'm concerned.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • PlumbobMafiaQueenPlumbobMafiaQueen Posts: 147 Member
    All I can say is the hair colours desperately need a colour wheel and with that so do skin tones! The darker warmer skintones just don't have enough variation and the darker darker ones have a purple or red tone to them :(
  • PlumbobMafiaQueenPlumbobMafiaQueen Posts: 147 Member
    All I can say is the hair colours desperately need a colour wheel and with that so do skin tones! The darker warmer skintones just don't have enough variation and the darker darker ones have a purple or red tone to them :(

Personally I think colour wheels for clothing would be a lot of hassle and I think most cas items in clothing are fine.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,446 Member
    The Gurus have said a few times that there are only a few things that just can't be done at this point, and Open World, Color Wheel, and CaST are some of those things.

But I do wonder if it's at all possible that they could build an external program similar to Sims 2 Body Shop and Sims 4 Studio (made by the community) where the players could import items, hairs, clothing, etc. and recolor to our liking, then export it back into the game. Yes, we can do this with S4S, but something simplified and official would be most welcome. There are definitely some outfits and furniture that I wish I could recolor myself.
    #Team Occult
  • FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
    No color wheel in Sims 4, sadly.
    But hopefully we‘re gonna get some color wheels for hair, skin, walls, floor and furniture in Sims 5!
    a256aFi.gif
  • TheIntrovertSimmerTheIntrovertSimmer Posts: 641 Member
    edited May 2019
    So they're basically fixing the game by adding custom recolours to the game. Great job EA,
    Post edited by TheIntrovertSimmer on
    y'all got bread?
  • Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    The pure white and black objects in the game definitely need an overhaul. The white is a light gray and the black is a dark gray. At least that's how those colors look in my game. And the white always looks distressed and old. I am playing on a four month old system with a high end graphics card so I know those two colors were created to look the way they do. But, hey, if they want to put the time into making white a true white and black look, well, black, I'm all for it. I might consider using the doors and windows their artists created if that happened.

And as much as it pains me to say it, they have been quite upfront with us about the fact there will never be a color wheel or CaST for Sims4. When I saw the one in Create A Pet my hopes soared. But the gurus were very quick to tell us that one would be the only one added to the game.
  • EliharbEliharb Posts: 476 Member
    edited May 2019
    ULIBABA66 wrote: »
    ddd994 wrote: »

Yeah, if I'm being honest here, I think that the upcoming 64bit only patch means that now they won't have to worry about game performance for the 32bit computer players, and they will have some more freedom to possibly allow bigger and more complex systems like a colour wheel/CAST

Sure, it would mean that the game will handle alot more. But the thing is with color wheels, I don't see them updating every single object's textures (the textures are not built to support color wheels, it would result in horrible recolors since the textures aren't layer separated). This is why it's too late for a color wheel on objects. It *could* work for most hairs, but hair already has alot of default choices.
    Paigeisin5 wrote: »
    When I saw the one in Create A Pet my hopes soared. But the gurus were very quick to tell us that one would be the only one added to the game.

Create a pet was built from the ground up, it was a different species that doesn't share anything with CAS. Not the clothes, not the face "sliders", not the hair colors etc... That's why they took that liberty. And I don't think anyone would appreciate them going half-half with objects and making only the new ones have a color wheel and the older ones not being supported.
    Playing on Intel Core i7-5960X 16 core CPU - 32 GB DDR4 Ram - GTX 980 Ti
  • aws200aws200 Posts: 2,262 Member
    Create A Style wasn't added because 'performance concerns'.
    Yet having dozens of rainbow cats and dogs running around Brindleton Bay is OK. Go figure.
    1. The Sims 2
    2. The Sims 3
    3. The Sims 4 (5 years later its decent)
    4. The Sims 1
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited May 2019
    ULIBABA66 wrote: »
    Before I'm gonna talk about the actual topic, please note that I may be completely wrong or this thing may not play out exactly as I have thought of it in my head, so stay kind and feel free to comment as long as you are being nice to everyone in this thread :) thank you.

So, lately I noticed how the SimGurus added a new white color swatch for the shelf that is in the base game. I find it a little weird that they would add just one (1) colour swatch to one single item in the game. Hmmm...
    The next thing I noticed is, my friend told me that he heard they apparently talked in the April MM livestream about how complicated it was for them to make that white colour swatch. And SimGuruLyndsay just recently tweeted a new tweet saying "felt cute, might change color later, idk..." and there was a picture of a black door color swatch. Something is off...

Also, they never stated that they will NEVER be able to make a colour wheel or a CAST for The Sims 4, they confirmed they have no plans for it back in 2017/2018 if I can remember correctly. But the fact that they made it for pets is still bothering me.

And I gotta tell you one more thing...
    I know this may not happen, but...back in January 2017, days before it happened, I swear I remember I had a dream that toddlers would be released into the game VERY soon...and bam...they were out a few days later! It was like a dream come true for me.

And now I just had a dream that I read news on SimsVIP that they showed a Create a Style/Colour Wheel tool in an upcoming Maxis Monthly livestream for The Sims 4, and so many Simmers were freaking out of excitement. I also remember how SimGuruGraham laughed in one livestream that happened this year, when they were talking about the colour swatches...this also links to what SimGuruLyndsay stated in the May Maxis Monthly livestream regarding the colour swatch: "there will be things coming in some things soon"....she didn't clearly state that they are ONLY going to add more colour swatches...I interpreted it in a different way...it seemed to me like she was teasing something more...I wish but we will see, let's not get our hopes up just yet!

I am very happy that C&D have their own colour wheel though. But we definitely need more attention to the colour options for the Sims in CAS and build/buy mode objects as well! :)

Thank you for reading this! And have a great, Simtastic day! :blush:

The objects in the game aren't coded to have their textures modified in the game. They didn't include that tech when they made TS4. They only made it for Cats and Dogs because they were making dogs and cats from scratch and that took a big part of the budget to make hence no small pets. They'd have to rework every texture in the game, plus add the UI and the tool's coding for that to ever come to TS4 but we don't even know if that would make the game run worse or not. Even if just the hue. That would be a lot of work in a now 5 year old game. I don't know if the game would have another 5 years ahead or not, but even if it does it would still be doubtful as to whether it's worth or not.

Lyndsay didn't say that it was hard to add the swatch just that they have to find the time in the midst of their schedules to add more swatches. Also, they themselves often don't know what's available or not sometimes because they don't play as extensively as we do and often forget what was included in what pack or BG now that's been a few years. So sometimes they don't even know/remember x item only has one swatch.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • pixiejuicepixiejuice Posts: 711 Member

I would be pleased if they did at least a color wheel for just the hair and skin colors! The hair colors are especially awful, with the blue-black and mac & cheese yellow. What were they even thinking?