Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can my apartment-living Sim gain Gardening Skill?

Rococo1256Rococo1256 Posts: 233 Member
Hello,

I have the Sims 2 Ultimate Collection, and I'm playing the premade Cho family. (In my game Vivian Cho is married to Timothy Riley) How can Vivian gain Gardening skill by interacting with plants, since the apartment garden is not hers? I didn't see any options for indoor gardening. Also, apparently she can't join Garden Club because she lives in an apartment, according to what I read. Is this correct? Can she go to a community lot and practice gardening there? If she did that, would it let her get invited to Garden Club? I want her to be able to visit the secret Nature lot for Sims with a high interest in nature.

Thank you for any tips.
I am GreenRocket on the Gallery.

Comments

• EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,935 Member
    edited August 2017
    Here's some answers to your questions:
    1) Gardening is not a skill. It's a Talent Badge. This means you are going to have to grow tomatoes, apples ect. and because there is no garden in your sim's apartment, she can't work on this talent badge.
    2) Sims living in apartment cannot join in the Gardening Club. That is correct. Seasons expansion pack came before Apartment Life expansion.
    3) No, sims can't learn skills and talent badges on the community lot. However, if you own the Open for Business expansion pack, try buying a community lot. Then you can have your sim get that Gardening talent badge there.
    4) Garden club does not give invitations to sims. You may see garden club townies roaming around, but they only sell the potion that cures plantsims. +You can't call the gardening club in there by phone to review the "garden" too...

Tips on getting on that secret lot:
    1) Forget the Gardening club! They are not important here. As they came in the Seasons and hobbies and these secret lots in FreeTime expansion pack, there is no connection between them. Gardening club does give wishing wells to sims who have the parfect garden, but wishing well can lead to death if your sim wishes for money too much...
    2) Try other activities beside of gardening. Have your sim collect bugs, watching birds, studying cleaning, watch clouds and talk about that hobby. If your sim's Nature hobby enthusiasm reaches level 3, you'll get a phone call asking if you want to subscribe to the magazine. Choose yes, because it is a great way of building the enthusiasm.
    Remember, your sim's hobby enthusiasm must be on level 5 in order to get access to these secret lots, so keep doing these activities. Also be on a lookout at the chance cards when your sim is working, because it can give you access early.
    I'd recommend that you check out this The Sims Wiki page (sims.wikia.com/wiki/Nature). It lists all the activities in order to raise sim's Nature hobby enthusiasm.
    Good luck and happy simming!
  • JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Hi. If you don't mind using mods, there are planters in this set with special garden soil, so you can have a indoor garden in the planters.

http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=470191

I have used them myself. No way to get to the garden club still though. But if you had your heart on gardening you can use these. It is a big set, but a nice one. If you don't want some of it you can just delete it out.
  • ArilyBooArilyBoo Posts: 346 Member
    @Rococo1256 There is someone ( @Summerbear5 ) on the forums here that made a custom Apartment with a gardening area. Therefore if you live in apartment such as that you would be able to plant and grow produce thus earning your gardening talent badges. The key is to move into an apartment that already has a gardening area because you won't be able to add it after moving in.
  • Rococo1256Rococo1256 Posts: 233 Member
    Thank you everybody for the help. @EgonVM That was a very detailed response! Great to hear that I don't need the Garden Club to get access to the Nature lot. I'm so glad that this forum still has an active Sims 2 section. I have been slowly rediscovering Sims 2.
    I am GreenRocket on the Gallery.
  • ConclueConclue Posts: 2,307 Member
    Hey Simmer!

It's tough, because even if you build custom apartments that allow your sims a back yard, (I have townhouses and condo's in my game that allows this) It's slow to happen because you have to pay close attention and make sure you are doing it before the Landlord does it, which is very tough to do. :D

I'm not sure if there are any actual prebuild's in the Sims 2 AL that have access to backyards. I think they're may be a duplex lot if your not familiar or into building custom apartment lots
    Conclue wrote: »
    Hey Simmer!

It's tough, because even if you build custom apartments that allow your sims a back yard, (I have townhouses and condo's in my game that allows this) It's slow to happen because you have to pay close attention and make sure you are doing it before the Landlord does it, which is very tough to do. :D

I'm not sure if there are any actual prebuild's in the Sims 2 AL that have access to backyards. I think they're may be a duplex lot if your not familiar or into building custom apartment lots

There are some pre-made apartment lots that have access to backyard, such as Dynamite Duplex (My favourite apartment (2 apartments)).
    The Sims Wiki also has a guide on how to build an apartment building (http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Game_guide:Building_an_apartment).
  • codea2019codea2019 Posts: 4 New Member
    hey one question, i know its off topic but how can i join the garden club if it doenst appear in the club manager?
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    codea2019 wrote: »
    hey one question, i know its off topic but how can i join the garden club if it doenst appear in the club manager?

TS2 doesn't have a club manager. You pick up the phone to call the garden club to come over and rate your garden. Three Sims show up to evaluate your garden. The more flowers and decorations the better. You call them if you missed the lady who comes by the first time you moved into the lot.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    Cinebar wrote: »

TS2 doesn't have a club manager. You pick up the phone to call the garden club to come over and rate your garden. Three Sims show up to evaluate your garden. The more flowers and decorations the better. You call them if you missed the lady who comes by the first time you moved into the lot.

The gardening club can be found under services.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    EgonVM wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »

The gardening club can be found under services.

I thought they meant like TS4's club features, the way it was worded it sounded like it belong on TS4 forum. TS2 doesn't have that, other than manage groups under the phone options to go somewhere together with those you pick to be in a group.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • FearlessButterflyFearlessButterfly Posts: 336 Member
    There is a mod on modthesims that changes the slacker career reward to gain the gardening badge instead of creativity.