Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Homes for the Homeless

After installing the Master Controller mod, I noticed that there were a busload of people who were homeless. One of them happened to be the girlfriend (now-ex) of one of my sims. The "Try for Baby" option was always greyed out due to too many people being in that Sim's household. So I followed her home and she disappeared inside of a supermarket.

After seeing a few other people do this and checking it out in City Hall, I got a bunch of homes and apartments from the exchange and made them community lots. Do you guys think that the "homeless" sims will make it their home? :D

Comments

• igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited June 2014
    Homeless sims are a type of NPC (non-playable character) that typically exist to fulfill roles and services. Some are spawned so that your regular resident sims have a boss or enough co-workers if there aren't enough resident sims around to take up that profession. NPCs will never move into proper housing on their own.

But you can use MasterController's Add Sim to add them to a house, empty or otherwise, and try to make them full-fledged residents. You might want to do a MC > Sim > Basic > Family Tree on them first to see if they have any relatives who should be moved in at the same time -- sometimes entire families are homeless.

But the game will keep spawning new NPCs as it thinks it needs them. Overwatch can remove the homeless from your town each night and Register can be used to specify who gets placed into the role and service slots if you want that level of control. (those are two other NRaas mods)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • ShadeDaystarShadeDaystar Posts: 995 Member
    edited June 2014
    The "Homeless" Sims are simply non-residents. Think of them as commuters. Some people like to remove them from the game completely, others like to leave them in. The game isn't really set up to have the Sims from this household move into empty lots on their own, and if it tries to fill those houses, they'll simply spawn all new residents to move in.
  • ChimarkChimark Posts: 2,166 Member
    edited June 2014
    If you have apartments I found the game will cram like a hundred homeless Sims into a flat.

I made an apartment from scratch and I went to see my next door neighbor and the call box had almost 100 names on it. All where homeless Sims.
    edited June 2014
    Chimark wrote:
    If you have apartments I found the game will cram like a hundred homeless Sims into a flat.

I made an apartment from scratch and I went to see my next door neighbor and the call box had almost 100 names on it. All where homeless Sims.

Right -- there is something in the game called an "NPC household" that your otherwise homeless sims belong to. Again, those are your town's role and service sims which would include babysitters, newspaper deliverers, bartenders, cash register attendants, non-resident Showtime performers, stray animals, etc. If you have Apartments, the game will start stowing them there but you can't visit such an apartment as it's off limits to the player. And there really shouldn't be a living room with 100 sims milling about waiting until it's time to go to work.

But what you can do, if you find an NPC that you like, is use NRaas MC to move them into a proper home and NRaas Register to disengage them from their role/service assignment so they can be a regular full-fledged sim.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • videojournalistkvideojournalistk Posts: 23
    edited June 2014
    What I did was make a new household, move them into one of the many empty homes that was a fairly nice place, set up bunk beds on the entirety of the second floor, and used Master Controller to add a bunch of sims into that household.

I visit often with my regular household, and they've accustomed to the change rather nicely. Sometimes one of my sims will go over there and make dinner for everyone. There are so many in there that it's like a party every night.
    edited June 2014
    The problem with socializing with Role Sims, if they keep their roles after such a transition, is the redonkulous hours they have to work. A coffee barista works 5am - 1am, 7 days a week, and some of the cash register attendants and mixologists don't fare much better. I think the megacorps like Simbucks Coffee need to be brought to task for this.

Just kidding, of course such sims are provided by the game solely for the amusement and convenience of the ones you actually play and EA never really intended for us to mess around with them as some of us like to do. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • AbiSimsAbiSims Posts: 2 New Member
    I know I sound like a total noob but I just got into mods and I was wondering if there was a way to move the npc into a new house without adding the to the family first.
    AbiSims wrote: »
    I know I sound like a total noob but I just got into mods and I was wondering if there was a way to move the npc into a new house without adding the to the family first.
    NRaas MasterController's Add Sim command can be used to add a sim of most any kind to a residential lot/household.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • AbiSimsAbiSims Posts: 2 New Member
    I will try this! Thank you for your time!
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    The problem with socializing with Role Sims, if they keep their roles after such a transition, is the redonkulous hours they have to work. A coffee barista works 5am - 1am, 7 days a week, and some of the cash register attendants and mixologists don't fare much better. I think the megacorps like Simbucks Coffee need to be brought to task for this.

Just kidding, of course such sims are provided by the game solely for the amusement and convenience of the ones you actually play and EA never really intended for us to mess around with them as some of us like to do. :)

Yes - I noticed after I opened the Chateau La Di-dah Nectary in my town that the game assigned Sims - playable Sims I had placed in a home with their kids from my bin - on the register, and that they essentially NEVER LEAVE. Makes it hard to invite them places. First it was the one Sim, and last time I played it had changed to being his longtime boyfriend/now hubby.

For service Sims, NPC apartments at least give them the illusion of a place to stay. I once struck up a romantic relationship with the town burglar, who lived in one of the fake apartments in my building, after he broke into my Sim's deluxe art deco penthouse. :)
    For those so inclined, NRaas Register can be used to control who gets to be a Role Sim and on which assigned object. The game won't use actual playable residents for those slots if Register forbids it. I like some of my Role Sims being residents rather than homeless NPCs, sometimes I rotate different sims in and out those assignments over time so they all have at least some chance of having a regular life in between. The only gotcha is that a sim in the actively being played household should not have and will not tend to hold onto such an assignment and that needs to be cleared upon making such a sim actively played. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • EA_RtasEA_Rtas Posts: 2,875 EA Community Manager
    Glad you were able to help people out! I'm going to go ahead and close this thread off however considering it's been inactive since 2014. If you have any questions about necroposting you can read this thread here : Necroposting
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top