Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Selecting Active Sim During Travel? Or some way of sending off individual sims for a while

I've seen it stated that it is somehow possible to select the active sim during travel in the Sims 3? Every time I've tried it just sends the sim to the vacation spot and maintains active control on his part.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_Us/discussion/930521/option-of-choosing-a-sim-to-stay-with-during-travel

Basically my question is, is there a way to send 1 or 2 sims off for a while, while controlling the sims left behind at the house? Either via mods or just normal gameplay, if no, is there a way to sort of make a sim disappear for a while, and then bring them back?

Comments

• JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited May 2019
    The only way to have uncontrollable sims in Sims 3 is by sending them into a rabbithole or by accepting the opportunity to send parents on a vacation (I wouldn't recommend that one, because it's very buggy and can break your game). And teens you can send to boarding school. Of course you can send them to one of the WA worlds or Oasis Landing (ITF); the sims left home will become uncontrollable, you'll indeed always follow the travelling sim though. When you return in WA's case time stood still, where in Oasis Landing it's possible to keep aging enabled.

That being said, sims in 3 are perfectly capable of taking care of themselves. So you can just follow one sim if you wish and leave the others to their own devices. When something important happens (birth, fire) the camera will automatically switch to them. Or you get notifications (for example when they're invited to a party).
    5JZ57S6.png
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited May 2019
    @jonny522 - The forum post you are linking to was for TS4. While TS3 was mentioned to provide a comparison, I didn't see where actual travel in TS3, which means to and from entire worlds that are different from the one being actively played, was discussed.

In TS3, the NRaas Traveler mod opens up a lot of travel and vacation world related possibilities. But even with that one in play, it is not possible to push sims from the currently being played world into another one. The best you would be able to do even with Traveler is to travel these sims yourself to a foreign world, any world that you have installed, invoke the mod's Change Hometown procedure on them, then leave them there in their new homeworld and transition active play back to the original one. That's quite a bit more than sending them away just "for a while" as they would become official residents of their new world and this may be more than you were hoping to go through in order to arrange such a scenario.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • jonny522jonny522 Posts: 179 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    @jonny522 - The forum post you are linking to was for TS4. While TS3 was mentioned to provide a comparison, I didn't see where actual travel in TS3, which means to and from entire worlds that are different from the one being actively played, was mentioned.

In TS3, the NRaas Traveler mod opens up a lot of travel and vacation world related possibilities. But even with that one in play, it is not possible to push sims from the currently being played world into another one. The best you would be able to do even with Traveler is to travel these sims yourself to a foreign world, any world that you have installed, invoke the mod's Change Hometown procedure on them, then leave them there in their new homeworld and transition active play back to the original one. That's quite a bit more than sending them away just "for a while" as they would become official residents of their new world and this may be more than you were hoping to go through in order to arrange such a scenario.

Yeah I've just realized what he meant was being able to send them around town in his mention to sims 3, but he said out of neighbourhood so I was confused as to whether this was a feature. Ehhh I guess I can just make a livable basement, set the sim to non-selectable and ignore them for a while. Thanks anyways.
    Why would you want to lock them up (I mean, it’s your game of course but I’m just curious)? It’s actually great fun (well, it is for me) to focus on one sim and then when you return you find your other sims wherever they felt like going. A few days ago I found the mother of my family at a party that way in a conversation with Emit Relevart’s hologram. And at another occasion one daughter of the family appeared to have gone to the elixir shop after collecting gems (that I had ordered her to do) and she was practicing alchemy while I had been focusing on her sister.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • jonny522jonny522 Posts: 179 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Why would you want to lock them up (I mean, it’s your game of course but I’m just curious)? It’s actually great fun (well, it is for me) to focus on one sim and then when you return you find your other sims wherever they felt like going. A few days ago I found the mother of my family at a party that way in a conversation with Emit Relevart’s hologram. And at another occasion one daughter of the family appeared to have gone to the elixir shop after collecting gems (that I had ordered her to do) and she was practicing alchemy while I had been focusing on her sister.

Well the father of my family is a private in the Army, and as such gets sent away on tours, I just once or twice want to see how the rest of the family fairs while he goes off patrolling a jungle at 2 AM.
    edited May 2019
    Ah, ok, so you really want him to be 'invisible'. Then you could indeed build a basement with everything in it for him to survive and 'forget' about him for a while. You could even buy a second lot for this purpose, somewhere in the forest. And shut the door, obviously ;) You could also throw in cardio equipment for him to use, so he'd really work out in there (like he would on patrol).
    5JZ57S6.png