Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Help Getting the Sims Complete Collection to run on Windows 10.

13...Next

Comments

• KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,881 Member
    @nschubert17 I didn't get the patch from the posted link, as I thought it might be a bit risky (as far as I remember, description below the video warned about virus and ads), so can't tell how that exe file works.

Sounds to me like you put the exe in the start-menu folder. That's where you will find easy info, registration and so on. You need to find the installation folder in your program files. Mine is located at: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Maxis\The Sims/". Rename the original exe file, then put the file you downloaded in there (it should also be named sims.exe, that's why you have to change the original)
  • nschubert17nschubert17 Posts: 2 New Member
    @Kathykins When I go to my maxis folder and click the sims there isn't a "sims.exe", that's what I'm struggling with. And I've installed/uninstalled the games multiple times and there still isn't one.
  • SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    Kathykins wrote: »
    @MeggyPlumbob, the black screen vanishes so fast I don't have time to do anything at all, really. I forgot to mention that :o I should have said: I get a black screen that just disappears then I'm back to my desktop. There is nothing sims in my task manager, and ctrl-alt-del doesn't do anything different than any other time I might use it.

I do remember actually installing TS1 on a laptop some time ago, will have to dig it out and see if it works there. I have trouble remembering, however, if I have Win10 on that machine as well oO If I do, I'll see if I can revert it back to a previous version...think I have the WinXP cd around here somewhere. At least the game worked back then, as far as I know. :)

Always use the higher resolution choice on newer computers, especially if you have a newer monitor. Some new monitors may not be able to go as low as 800x600 anymore.
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
    edited August 2017
    @nschubert17 Something has most likely gone wrong when you installed. Might be a registry issue.
    TS1 only uses one folder, that it installs to, that doesn't contain the files you mentioned. Here's a picture of mine (hope it shows up):

Maxis-TheSims.PNG

The install folder should be the only place for TS1 files, except of course for the start menu, with the different shortcuts to files you mentioned. Not sure what else to suggest, really, but to check again where your game is installed. And if necessary, re-install. TS1 could be really finicky at best, with Windows 10 its a lot worse.

ETA: If you uninstall, I suggest using SimsEraser before installing again. It will clean the registry of any entries that are left behind.
  • RynosRynos Posts: 1 New Member
    Does anyone have a link to the sims.exe for the original the sims game, no expansions. I have my original game without expansions, I cannot ind the .exe for this one. I found one through GameBurnWorld in a zip file but wither the file is error-ed or corrupted as its not extractable. Can anyone point me somewhere like I am a 4-year-old child needing help. Anyone? Thanks.
    @Rynos I found my exe on Gamecopyworld, and have had no problems with it (gameburnworld seems a bit more shady, I basically had the same problems you had with the zip-file). I couldn't find a no-cd patch for base game, though, only trainers :/

Did a further search, and found this site: http://www.awesomeexpression.com/sims-1-no-cd.html
    It is a simple download of only the sims.exe (doesn't say if its with expansions or base game only), with instructions on how to install it. It is worth a shot, and I hope you get it to work! :)
  • SaminatorDavisSaminatorDavis Posts: 1 New Member
    Didn't see these solutions in the thread so just in case anyone is needing this...

If you keep getting the installshield ikernel could not be installed, I found a FIX!!! Just be sure to delete the engine folder in program files (x86) where the game is referring to, not the regular program files in these instructions as they are meant for WinXP

flexeracommunity.force.com/customer/articles/en_US/ERRDOC/Q108247
  • SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    Needing to replace the original executable with a doctored executable that allows the game to run without a CD is EXACTLY why EA/Maxis NEEDS to release this game on Origin. Doesn't matter if they make it an Origin access exclusive - many would subscribe to Origin Access just for that game!
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • williepaez5williepaez5 Posts: 1 New Member
    Trying to solve the issue. I'm installing sims on Windows 10 also but having the same issue can't get rid of the problem. Hope to see an answer here to help us play the Sims on Windows 10. Go2top GTA 5 Crack.
  • Aris4052Aris4052 Posts: 1 New Member
    I tried using the previous link however it said it was no longer available, does anyone else have the link or anything else?
  • DebraF63DebraF63 Posts: 230 Member
    I got most of my information from SimsVip https://simsvip.com/2018/02/09/play-sims-1-windows-10-widescreen-fix/ just scroll down and read thru it all - hope this helps
  • snslyesnslye Posts: 24 Member
    DebraF63 wrote: »
    I got most of my information from SimsVip https://simsvip.com/2018/02/09/play-sims-1-windows-10-widescreen-fix/ just scroll down and read thru it all - hope this helps

I tried downloading that, it said "Can not find Sims directory" or something like that.
  • snslyesnslye Posts: 24 Member
    Kathykins wrote: »
    @Rynos I found my exe on Gamecopyworld, and have had no problems with it (gameburnworld seems a bit more shady, I basically had the same problems you had with the zip-file). I couldn't find a no-cd patch for base game, though, only trainers :/

Did a further search, and found this site: http://www.awesomeexpression.com/sims-1-no-cd.html
    It is a simple download of only the sims.exe (doesn't say if its with expansions or base game only), with instructions on how to install it. It is worth a shot, and I hope you get it to work! :)

Tried that too and it said "Could not find the Sims data directory".
  • DebraF63DebraF63 Posts: 230 Member
    sorry I was trying to help
  • Purplekitty28Purplekitty28 Posts: 7 New Member
    Hi, I've recently got the sims 1 and all its dlc. I can't seem to install the patch because it can't find the data directory. I followed the instructions exactly multiple times and it still won't work. Does anyone know why this is happening and how to fix it please because I've been trying for 2 days solid and its driving me pretty insane
  • CreativeMom88CreativeMom88 Posts: 53 Member
    To be able to play Sims 1, one more time in my life would be awesome.
    I have my Sims Deluxe Edition discs. No shortcut ever happened onto my desktop however it does seem to be installed.
    I've tried right clicking on
    "Sims.. 1024x768" and Run as admin, however nothing happens. Same if I try the "Sims...800x600".
    There is nothing that shows as "Sims.exe" that I could see, there's one showing as "Sims" under file location "This PC > Windows8_OS(C:) > Program Files (x86) > Maxis > Sims".
    I've tried all compatibility modes I have, nothing works. There's no mod I could find that creates a new file called "Sims.exe" online.
    I want to be able to play this again before my time comes. Also to show my kids how far gaming has come.
    I've Windows 10 Home.
    It's been too difficult to find any older pc's someone is willing to give up for free. I've been trying to get this to work since 2013. There's gotta be a way by now, right?
  • EA_RtasEA_Rtas Posts: 2,875 EA Community Manager
    Hey! I'd advise posting to The Sims AHQ to see if anyone else has managed to figure this one out. Unfortunately we don't handle tech issues on this forum anymore and this thread is quite old. I'm going to close this off If you have any questions about necroposting you can read this thread here : Necroposting.

In the meantime I hope you're able to get this sorted and get playing!
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top