Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Closing of the Danish forum for Sims.

I know this is an aussie/New Zealand forum but where do I go in the future. When us Danish forum users had to watch our sims forum being closed, we didn't get another place like here. Furthermore we were promised, that it would remain open to watch the many topics and stories we had posted in there. Trying to got there today made me extremely sad. It is all gone, and as a Danish simsplayer I feel totally ignored and unwanted. :(

Comments

• MonaSolstraaleMonaSolstraale Posts: 1,372 Member
    I'm simply so frustrated and so angry that I can't find words.
    As Simsister points out, we were promised that we could keep following our old stories, tips and ideas in the Danish forum after it was closed.
    Now I simply have to find out that it has been wiped out. Not even a year has passed since we lost the right to write in Danish and now we have lost our entire knowledge bank.
    Such a stereotype arrogance I have not met for many years.
    I'm deeply disappointed.
  • Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    Hopefully, it's just some technical difficulties keeping you guys from accessing the site today

If they promised they should have kept it up at least for a few years at minimum and given plenty of time for you guys to organize some way to save the critical pieces of your forum.
    @Seera1024 Thanks for your reply
    I really hope this is a technical problem
    I'm really sorry I haven't copied and saved important knowledge and my legacy stories in a safe place.
    At least we had deserved a warning
  • Simsister2004Simsister2004 Posts: 3,536 Member
    @Seera1024 does this mean, that when players are still playing The Sims 4, we can risk to lose all the informations and hints we have used lots of time to provide Danish simsplayers with? If this is the fact, yes as Mona says, we could at least have had a warning, a chance to move the most important knowledge to a safe place.
  • EA_MaiEA_Mai Posts: 1,800 EA Staff (retired)
    Hi everyone,

As you have noticed, after several months with some of the language forums being read only, it was time to retire the forums completely.

This happened a month ago, so I can confirm it's not a technical issue. We wanted to give you the time to make a copy of any content in the forums you wanted to keep, so I'm sorry to hear you didn't see the notice we posted on the forums beforehand. I totally understand this is not a pleasant discovery now.

This forum is English language only, which enabled to create a space for our Australian Simmers. As explained in the past and according to the rules, creating a community in another language than English in this space is not an option. However, there's Simmers from many different parts of the world on The Sims English forums, and we hope you feel welcome to share your comments here as we value the feedback from all of you.

Once again, sorry for the inconvenience,
    -Mai
    edited April 2019
    So very sorry, you must have placed the notice in a place without telling any of us. Couldn't you open it just to let us copy the most important things. It must be of EA Games' interest too, that your Danish customers have a place to get proper information in Danish?? I think that you perhaps could provide me with a link, or is it totally gone?

And furthermore: Why had we a promise at first, that it would be open to visit - no time limit, because that is a lie. :(
    Post edited by Simsister2004 on
    edited April 2019
    I'm sorry to point it out, but we are just not treated as if we have any value.
    When is that notice posted and where?
    The last announcement I have read is posted in July 2018 and it says:

Sul Sul Simmers!

We wanted to reach out to you and give you an update of some of The Sims language forums.

After lengthy discussions and carefully analysing data from active users, new posts, comments, and how the forums are being used and moderated, we’ve made the decision to sunset the following The Sims language forums: Czech, Norwegian, Swedish, Finnish and Danish. We are also permanently closing and redirecting the Australian & New Zealand and Portugal Portuguese forums.

Our English The Sims forum and many other language forums will remain fully available and active.

This is never an easy decision to make and we thank you for your contribution to the community.

So, what happens next?
    As of 27.08.2018, we will be locking the language forums for new posts. This means you will not be able to log in or add new posts, but you will be able to browse previously posted content. For Australian & New Zealand and Portugal Portuguese any links to discussions, posts, profiles will redirect to either the English or the recently unified Portuguese forums.

Thank you for understanding and for being part of the language community. Your feedback and comments are highly valued, and we hope to continue to read them on The English Sims forum.

EA_Mage writes nothing about an expiration date.
    It would have been more fair to give us the message from the beginning.
    There should not be much detective work to solve which Danes were most active in the protest over the Forum closure, namely @Simsister, @Erpe and the undersigned. You could have sent us a personal message, and at least we had a chance to act.
    I am absolutely sure you have the law on your side, but purely humanly it is a failure.
    I do not know if I am most bitter about being reeled once again or because I have been so naive that I trusted a single word of what EA_Mage wrote in July 2018.
    Post edited by MonaSolstraale on
    It seems like we are getting no response here. @EA_Mai you have answered us recently. Is it in any way possible, that we can get access to our Sims Danish forum to copy the most important posts from there? Many players in Denmark are still new to the game, as they have bought it recently, and many of them don't understand English very well, especially not technical issues, so it would be in EA Games' best interest, wouldn't it?
    Hi @Simsister2004 / @MonaSolstraale,

This was announced on the forums that were going to be affected by the changes in February. At this point, it's not possible for me to offer you a link or give you access, no one can access them anymore as the forums have been retired already, they no longer exist.

For any technical issues you may have with The Sims 4, please, remember you can contact our advisers through EA Help and get help in many different languages (including Danish): https://help.ea.com/dk/.

Thanks,
    -Mai
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    edited May 2019
    and also there is likely other sims groups they may not be from ea but they still get the job done you know like on face book or twitter there might even be other forums in Danish for the sims there is also youtube
    more for sim kids and more drama please
    Yes, you are so right about it, but I am very sorry, that we didn't get a proper notice in good time to act upon. Like it doesn't help to write something in "the forums" when we already don't have one, does it? What I am sorry about is lots of hours work we had with translating from English to Danish when somebody needed it, and now all that work is gone, when if we had got the notice in a proper way, we could have saved it to our new, private forum. BTW, the link you provide us with to EA Help. I have tried that myself several times, and I didn't get any answer. so I reconed, that it doesn't exist either. :(
    @EA_Mai It is absurd to announce changes in a forum that EA has closed :s
    How do you expect us to find news there?
    The disadvantage of forcing us into a private forum is precisely that EA loses contact with us.
    I won't blame you EA_Mai for being set to defend an incredibly bad case.
    The door is closed and I can only regret that I was naive enough to expect the service that we still had access to our stories and data for a long time.
    I'm incredibly disappointed.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    I'm sorry you have lost your Danish forum pages. I've noticed that with Windows 10 you can translate whole pages into other languages and it might help you to still browse the existing Forum pages for news. It's on the top, right of the url line. I don't find it too bad for checking the German Sims websites into English.
    edited May 2019
    While it won't change anything at this point, just to clarify: the announcement was posted on the forums affected by the changes (including Danish) in February, before the forums were retired a month ago.
    edited May 2019
    No, sadly it doesn't change anything. Perhaps only that you think a bit harder about what you are doing to loyal simsplayers in the future. I was visiting the Danish forum in February and I didn't find any message from EA Games, only the posts that had been there all the time. AND as Mona says, what purpose did it have to post something like that in a closed forum? There are many other ways to let us know about the final closing - and in good time to let us move the posts we find optional. On my personal account page here I have placed a link to our private Sims forum, where we would have been able to find it and act upon it.

Mind my words when I tell you, that I am a very loyal simsplayer, who have been playing the Sims since the very first Sims 1, and up through the years have been a loyal customer like many of the other sims players from Denmark. I have been in contact with Sims staff several times in different ways, but never before have I felt so abandoned and badly treated. We can still play The Sims 4 in Danish. Will that be changed for The Sims 5 when and if it comes out? If so, I am afraid I will be playing The Sims 4 forever to my last breath.
    Thank you @Siburian
    I can assure you that I cannot communicate a single sentence here without using a translation program.
    It gives the risk of wrong translations that make my language strange ... but I do my best.
    This is not about whether we can get knowledge in another way. I'm already following several members on YouTube and in this Forum.
    It is a loss a forum where we have spent countless hours sharing experiences, knowledge and stories from our games.
    It would have been more fair to tell us the whole plan in July when they closed the forum and that they didn't comfort us with a lie.
    edited May 2019
    EA_Mai wrote: »

This forum is English language only, which enabled to create a space for our Australian Simmers. As explained in the past and according to the rules, creating a community in another language than English in this space is not an option. However, there's Simmers from many different parts of the world on The Sims English forums, and we hope you feel welcome to share your comments here as we value the feedback from all of you.

-Mai

Sorry, but here is AGAIN something I don't understand. You can create a space for Australian/New Zealand Simmers but not a space for us because we speak another language? How come that French, Italian, Spanish and German simmers can keep their forums then, and we Scandinavians can't? A reason why in fact I don't feel at home and/or welcome here. :(

-Mai

Sorry, but here is AGAIN something I don't understand. You can create a space for Australian/New Zealand Simmers but not a space for us because we speak another language? How come that French, Italian, Spanish and German simmers can keep their forums then, and we Scandinavians can't? A reason why in fact I don't feel at home and/or welcome here. :(

They don't really care I think. Twitter, Reddit and Instagram are their chosen outlets now and we are all lucky the main forum is still here.

We, in the UK had our Forum closed and it was assumed that we would be OK with the US one as we speak and read English and won't mind the spelling and time differences. Nobody knew the Forum was there as it was stuck right at the bottom of the webpage.
  • Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member

-Mai

Short answer is bandwidth costs money. And they have to have someone who can read and write in the languages used.

It costs EA to keep archived sites up.

As to why Australia/New Zealand gets a spot here is because they also speak English. The moderators for this site can moderate their posts. They know without having to translate every post if something is off topic, flaming, or otherwise against the rules.

They may just not have someone willing/able to moderate that forum anymore which could have also contributed to the timing of the forum going read-only.
    Yes, and I agree to the last part. I am sure I could learn to accept it, if we just had had a chance to move the posts which we found neccesary to move. Now we are all like newbies, starting all over, just because we were helping new Sims players to manage their games. Is that fair? Please read MonaSolstraale's copy of the text/post we had in July 2018. EA_Mage was promising we could keep the data, and the forum would be open to view, and we had no deadline at all.

Sorry if my english isn't perfect, I am Danish.
  • yeshooraoyeshoorao Posts: 1 New Member
    I tried to search for different domains for sims websites. I thought there would be different domain for each language. I ended up knowing that /eu /ru or /en are same !! just language gets changed :)

-Yeshuu Rao
    telecommunication engineer
    yeshoorao wrote: »
    I tried to search for different domains for sims websites. I thought there would be different domain for each language. I ended up knowing that /eu /ru or /en are same !! just language gets changed :)

-Yeshuu Rao
    telecommunication engineer

And sorry if I don't understand what that means. Would you be so kind as to explain this to me?
    @Simsister2004 Have you got the exact url address for the Danish Forum? I found the US Forum had been saved over a hundred times by the Wayback Machine and checked a 2018 date and could find threads there at that date.
    https://archive.org/web/ You just enter the url you have saved for the Forum and look for the date you think most likely to help. You might be able to search and save useful stuff there.

I'm sorry you can't do any more. Good luck. <3
    Thanks to you all so very much for being kind and helpful. I'll do like my sweet cat does: Go back in my cave and lick my wounds. I am afraid, I will never get over this.
    edited May 2019
    @yeshoorao, @Simburian I would like to thank you very much for trying to help.
    Some backups have been found, but it is not possible to open much of it.

149p3DTh.png
    Like my hero José, I feel tired and empty. He has lost all his background history. Now is the time to think and reinvent a new point of view.
    @Simsister I am deeply grateful that despite all the opposition we have managed to maintain our Danish network on http://dksimlinger.danskforum.net/