Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you enjoy Simlish in your game?

Comments

• Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    No...
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • TheMagnoliaTheMagnolia Posts: 174 Member
    Why would they speak anything but, they’re Sims.
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,823 Member
    edited April 2019
    Well, Simlish has been apart of Sims since the very start. It's what Will Wright wanted for his vision and I don't see I problem with Simlish. It's always been up to the player to interpret what our sims are discussing and thinking. Thought and speech bubbles are a big part of this. All it takes is a little imagination on our part. That's part of the fun of this game if you ask me.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • February11February11 Posts: 12,609 Member
    It's better than nothing , though it would be nice to hear exactly what they are saying in English.
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • EngineerDaishoEngineerDaisho Posts: 4 New Member
    I'm so accustomed to associating Sims with Simlish that I had a Brain Not Parsing moment when watching the StrangerVille promotional video that had Erwin speaking to us in English.
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,542 Member
    i think simlish is outdated they need to start using real english or french language in in the sims game
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    i think simlish is outdated they need to start using real english or french language in in the sims game

Why not latvian or hungarian instead?
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,518 Member
    Simlish all the way! Simlish speech and signs only, no English thank you very much; it's great exactly how it is now.
  • micheleimichelei Posts: 422 Member
    I love simlish in the game. I would not want to see it changed.
  • N0NoTToN0NN0NoTToN0N Posts: 1,024 Member
    For me Simlish is one of the things that makes the Sims the Sims.
    19172275569_bb0181ed75.jpgGingerThyme; by T Reece, on Flickr
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member

How expensive do you want this game? Also, do you know how much more uncreative and repetitive the phrases would become?
  • MMXMMX Posts: 4,426 Member

How expensive do you want this game? Also, do you know how much more uncreative and repetitive the phrases would become?
    I'm assuming friendlysimmers didn't read the other posts ITT.
    9d1z2m12k175.png
  • mebagl15mebagl15 Posts: 563 Member
    I like the simlish in the game. What I don't like is the repetition of it. Like, they have the same dialouge for all the jokes. It needs more variety.
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    If it was in English I bet that all the sales would drop in countries that don't have English as an official language. Also, if they did that, it would be really expensive to translate it all. Simlish is easier.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• BusufuBusufu Posts: 1,965 Member
    Sims without Simlish would not be the same.
    Sul Sul!
    On my blog (German) you'll find two completed vampire stories 🦇 and an ongoing ghost story 👻.
    I'm also posting about my I'm surrounded by idi🤪ts! - challenge, in which I've now reached gen 9.
    Thanks for stopping by! 👋
  • BastienBastien Posts: 1 New Member
    Do you know how much dialogue they would have to record if they were to use a real language? A ridiculous amount. And then recording that in several other languages?

What you suggest is not only impractical, it’s absurd. Think, child.
  • LindsaySeddon1LindsaySeddon1 Posts: 284 Member
    I feel like hearing sims speaking English would just be weird? And sentences would probably become too repetitive as there could only be so many recorderd as opposed to now when we hear them speaking gibberish so it always sounds different. I also prefer inscriptions/signs in simlish, but don't mind pop-ups being in English because that makes sense.

I was going to say this pretty much. I know for a fact that I would get bored of hearing the same sentences over and over, but in Simlish any repetitiveness is hard to detect.
  • annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    Simlish has always been a part of The Sims for me. It wouldn't feel right or nearly as fun without it. I still remember trying to mimic my Sims as a child just for giggles, with lots of angry gibberish and something about soap. :D I felt so weirded out when the sims started speaking English in the Strangerville trailer. As others have commented, it would be impractical for sims to use our languages and get old reeeeal fast. Simlish solves all these problems. It's universal and because it's not 'real' it doesn't feel too repetitive to us. Another important part of the Sims, and it's main appeal for me, is that it allows the simmer to create their own characters and stories. Simlish in turn allows you to use your imagination for this, as well as also allowing you to get the gist of what your sims are saying or feeling/intend. I really see no need to change it. Dag dag! :)
  • MagdaleenaMagdaleena Posts: 973 Member
    edited April 2019
    Simlish is a must. It's not a Sims game without it.

Besides, The Sims exists in way more languages than just English. Simlish is just.... so much more universal, I guess?
    Even if it sounds like specifically English gibberish. It's kinda what foreign kids who don't know English yet thinks English sounds like, basically.

And yeah, having them speak an actual real language would get repetitive extremely quickly. You really don't want that.

lil_pixel_boys.png
    they/he
    simblr
  • StormsviewStormsview Posts: 2,603 Member
    LadyKyn wrote: »
    OP would you want English speech in your sims game? :*

Don't mind seeing the occasional English on shirts, decor, but sims actually talking English in game at this point would list be odd. In trailers for promotions is fine but it would make most story telling useless as well as speech bubbles.

No never full English, but more added phrases would be fine. Like using someone's name, maybe asking a toddler what do they want for breakfast. Or ask someone what type of birthday cake would they like. Simple things short sentences that would be easy to implement, and yes I want this to be for the world and not just English, just we speak English here,

Its programs that translate data in all languages at once in print. I would love to have alphabet letters to make up our own Signs for our businesses. I would not want them to give up Simlish entirely. Because I would have to read to much, I am rather lazy with that.

But I do feel adding it in such places like asking someone to marry you saying in English that person name and that they love them in English, would make the game more real like.

We could say things like stop that to a baby, or to call them inside using their name. Or like a phone call to school instead of a note, just call and say Jenny is home from school today because she has a cold, just to personalize the game.

Saying to a mate, you were flirting, or other things to help keep up drama.

If I see a friend I want to say hi or hello using their name, and they use that sims name in responding. Short but more personal, this way it would not interfere with one's storyline.

If they start adding something like this we do need the choice in options.
    we'll give you a full refund. Just make sure you make your request within 24 hours after you first launch the game, within seven days from your date of purchase, or within seven days from the game's release date if you pre-ordered, whichever comes first.
    Who said EA doesn't have a sense of humor
  • duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    I think I wouldn't like Simlish to go away because its Universal. With the sims speaking Simlish, it almost feels like they "could" be saying words you recognize in your various language all around the world. Changing it to English, I feel, wouldn't be fair to other countries who play and love the game. I also kinda feel like it'd have language that would get badly outdated and eventually the timeless feel of the game series would go away and it'd lose fans eventually.

Right now, with Simlish, we have people still playing Sims 1-4 and I think that's great.
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    @Stormsview names are so different though. The english alphabet doesn't even have the letters a lot of other languages have. For instance the name Jenny you said isn't pronounced the english way in a lot languages. You're thinking people use english names only. It's not very romantic or cute when you have a proposing sim and they completely butcher the name cause the name isn't english or isn't pronounced the english way or has letters/sounds the english language doesn't have.
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • StormsviewStormsview Posts: 2,603 Member
    Simpkin wrote: »
    @Stormsview names are so different though. The english alphabet doesn't even have the letters a lot of other languages have. For instance the name Jenny you said isn't pronounced the english way in a lot languages. You're thinking people use english names only. It's not very romantic or cute when you have a proposing sim and they completely butcher the name cause the name isn't english or isn't pronounced the english way or has letters/sounds the english language doesn't have.

We do name our own Sims right? So they would know the correct name to use right? A Sims name is not an issue, for all else, they would use their translators.

The Sims games are already translated to sell games all over the World in each language, so they are already translating. If they personalize English games they would personalize all of their games throughout the world.
    we'll give you a full refund. Just make sure you make your request within 24 hours after you first launch the game, within seven days from your date of purchase, or within seven days from the game's release date if you pre-ordered, whichever comes first.
    Who said EA doesn't have a sense of humor
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,403 Member
    I can't imagine how shallow our sims would appear if they spoke english. Their phrases likely wouldn't make much sense in most situations. Definitely a fan of simlish here.