Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Recent Discussion Preference

izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
I think it'll be helpful for an individual to customize what board they wanna see in a Recent Discussion, It's the first thing on the forum I clicked when trying to read something new about the gamr but it's very messy and cluttered with anything unrelated to the game such as A-Z mommy names, Whats yer favorite foods, the grand prequels yadda yadda. I prefer to follow topic only on Sims 4 but that feature is not yet exist for that.
ihavemultiplegamertags

Comments

• SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,913 Member
    izecson wrote: »
    I think it'll be helpful for an individual to customize what board they wanna see in a Recent Discussion, It's the first thing on the forum I clicked when trying to read something new about the gamr but it's very messy and cluttered with anything unrelated to the game such as A-Z mommy names, Whats yer favorite foods, the grand prequels yadda yadda. I prefer to follow topic only on Sims 4 but that feature is not yet exist for that.

I agree. I only check this quickly as it is a bit of a waste of time when something looks interesting and then you find it is about Sims 3, mobile or Legacy games. Nothing against those topics but they should be differentiated and Off Topic doesn't really need to be there at all.

It all looks as though EA/Maxis don't back Sims 4 enough to prioritise it. It's about time they concentrated on it more and stopped being so half-hearted. It's nearly five years in after all.
  • lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,278 Member
    edited April 2019
    There actually was a way to hide what you didn't want to see but apparently they did away with it when changing the layout of the forum. So like I didn't want to see The Sims 4 section, all I had to had to do was hit "Hide" in the section that said "The Sims 4" and it would hide it from my view and I only saw what sections that I wanted to see. But my guess on why it was taken away could be the fact that they added The Sims 3 forum section into "The Sims: Legacy Titles".

Someone created a thread last year when they noticed the "Hide" feature was no longer available and now retired EA_Mage (she's no longer on this site) posted in the thread on how to follow things that you want to follow. Not sure how well that works as I tested out how to do it but every time I kept hitting "Follow" on something, it kept throwing me back out to the main page and up to where the "The Sims" header is at.
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/938222/no-more-hiding-categories-for-the-discussions-link
    Post edited by lisasc360 on
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    edited April 2019
    lisasc360 wrote: »
    There actually was a way to hide what you didn't want to see but apparently they did away with it when changing the layout of the forum. So like I didn't want to see The Sims 4 section, all I had to had to do was hit "Hide" in the section that said "The Sims 4" and it would hide it from my view and I only saw what sections that I wanted to see. But my guess on why it was taken away could be the fact that they added The Sims 3 forum section into "The Sims: Legacy Titles".

Someone created a thread last year when they noticed the "Hide" feature was no longer available and now retired EA_Mage (she's no longer on this site) posted in the thread on how to follow things that you want to follow. Not sure how well that works as I tested out how to do it but every time I kept hitting "Follow" on something, it kept throwing me back out to the main page and up to where the "The Sims" header is at.
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/938222/no-more-hiding-categories-for-the-discussions-link

Oh I thought the follow function was everytime someone replying or starting a thread id get notification for that, but it seems this feature doesnt work as it should, I only see announcement in my recent discussion rn
    ihavemultiplegamertags

Oh I thought the follow function was everytime someone replying or starting a thread id get notification for that, but it seems this feature doesnt work as it should, I only see announcement in my recent discussion rn

Okay I went back to the thread that I had listed and read the part about going to the "Recent Discussions" page and followed the directions on how to follow the categories that I have checked "Follow" on. The Recent Discussions page has a "View" button listed right below the "New Discussion" button. From there, you can click on it and select "All" or "Following". If you choose "Following", then the page refreshes with threads from the categories that you have "Follow" checked off. But of course we can't hide the threads that have "Announcements" listed behind the titles of the threads but it will show you threads from the categories that you choose to follow. EA_Mage posted a picture on where to find the "View" button at in her 1st reply to that thread... :)

Hope this helps you with what you're looking for... :)
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    Yeah thanks, it's all good i just had to follow each of the subforum for their threads to appear on my recdisc.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
    Yeah thanks, it's all good i just had to follow each of the subforum for their threads to appear on my recdisc.

Cool! I'm glad that I helped you with this. To be quite honest with you, I had no clue that we could do this as I was thinking that we still had the hide feature. Now that I know about the "Follow" feature, I can hopefully tell others about it when they ask about such features on the site. I wish I had known this when someone created a thread about the "Discussion" page where they complained about not being able to see which Sims game the threads were from.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Didn’t know anything about this so thanks. Now I can view recent discussions without accidentally posting in a thread meant for Console or TS3 and also avoid seeing all the cool things available in Sims Mobile that we probably won’t ever have in TS4.
    It's still a mess when I tried the suggestion as I currently don't "Follow" anything.

What would be better is the chance to "Follow" Categories like from general, Sims 4 to child categories like Rumor and supposition or threads....from the right hand side heading.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited April 2019
    Simburian wrote: »
    It's still a mess when I tried the suggestion as I currently don't "Follow" anything.

What would be better is the chance to "Follow" Categories like from general, Sims 4 to child categories like Rumor and supposition or threads....from the right hand side heading.

Some categories you have to follow the main title because there are no child categories. Other categories you have to open up and follow each child category. And after each time you follow, you’re taken back to the main screen so it can be a bit time consuming.

Then on the main screen over to the right change from view all to view following.

I’m just curious now if it applies to every device I use to browse the website or do I have to do it on my computer as well since I just did it through my phone.
    All I get on my laptop is a star to follow Threads only.
    All I get on my laptop is a star to follow Threads only.

@Simburian, you're probably inside of the category instead out on the main page of whatever Sims section that you want to be in. (i.e: The Sims 4 General Discsussion vs. The Sims 4: Discussion). Take for an example: I want The Sims 3 General Discussion section to follow, then I just need to go in The Sims 3 section that has all of the categories listed. From there, I will hover my mouse over in "The Sims 3 General Discussion" box which brings up a cog wheel that will say "Options" when I place my cursor over it. Then I can click on that cog wheel which brings up a box with these 2 options inside of it: "Mark Read" and "Follow". Now if I want to follow anything inside of the "Store" section, I then need to click on the "Store" button to get to the sub-categories inside of that section. From there, I can click on any of the categories that I want to follow.

Hope this helps... :)

And to answer @Chazzzy question. Yes is applies to all devices as I did it on my PC 1st and now my phone and tablet is also displaying the "Discussions" page with the Sims sections that I want to follow without having to do each device separately... :)
    Thanks @lisasc360 I see that now. Still think it is a bit annoying though. It's clearer on the smartphone where it is immediately to the right of the category heading than on my laptop.
    You're welcome @Simburian... :)

It's still a waste of time for me as I like to read through all the thread titles to see additional posts and want to follow the Sub Categories not the whole Category. Especially those like Speculation and Rumor.
  • EA_MaiEA_Mai Posts: 1,800 EA Staff (retired)
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean @Simburian - don't you get the option to follow Speculation and rumor from here?
    I don't bother to start from there. I go straight from the TForum front page option "Categories" to the Child category in the section in the one I want to look at and there is no option to follow when you open a category that way.
  • mdcotonopumdcotonopu Posts: 1 New Member
    Didn’t know anything about this but i like to work of it .... :|
    So now I understand how it's works thanks to you all o:)
  • EA_MaiEA_Mai Posts: 1,800 EA Staff (retired)
    I don't bother to start from there. I go straight from the TForum front page option "Categories" to the Child category in the section in the one I want to look at and there is no option to follow when you open a category that way.

I see, thanks for explaining! Yes, you would need to access those category pages to follow the subcategories you are interested in. But this would be needed only once to set it up - after that you the filter in the Recent Discussions page should work every time you access the forums.
    EA_Mai wrote: »

I see, thanks for explaining! Yes, you would need to access those category pages to follow the subcategories you are interested in. But this would be needed only once to set it up - after that you the filter in the Recent Discussions page should work every time you access the forums.

I never do the logical thing. I always cut corners, go straight to the point and miss things that logical thinkers put in for me. :)