Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can We Please Have Sewing Back?

I was never a big sewing fan in past versions, but with this version and our talented devs, I can see a lot of possibilities. There could be one career that splits into two careers, SEAMSTRESS and DRESS DESIGNER. We would need these things included:

1. A sewing machine, both in a cabinet and portable for a desk or table for sims with limited space.
2. A cutting table where our sims would select a pattern, pick a material and cut out the pattern shapes.
3. Sewing skill
4. A dress dummy to "model" the dress on and do a few last touch ups.

Then the dress could be sold via the mailbox or in a shop.
This might also be a possible freelance career where you create a dress for a sim according to their wants, color, style, etc.
The dresses should only be available from dressmaking and not in CAS, so, if you want one of these dresses, sew it yourself or hire someone to do it or find it in a dressmakers shop.
Now players could create sewing clubs (sort of a Project Runway for sims) or just sew at home for extra money to pay the bills.
If a celebrity wears your dress and gets photographed in it, both the celebrity and the dressmaker get a fame bump.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Comments

• annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    Oh yes, I am definitely all for this! It would be so cute too if our sims could sew/knit clothing e.g. jumpers, hats, scarves, blankets etc. for babies/toddlers and other loved ones. When worn these could make sims feel warm and cosy, and cats could have fun playing with yarn. I would also love embroidery to be added with the option to create decorative objects and blankets, as well as for clothing, especially for the little ones.
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    I'd love seweing both as a career and an activity for elders.
  • AnmirlaAnmirla Posts: 3,836 Member
    I've always thought this would be a great addition to a Farming EP. Start with shearing whatever animal (sheep/llama), spinning the wool and then sewing a completed project. There can be an option where Sims can just order the material on the computer to sew their projects, carrying the craft over into other worlds without a hitch.
    Sewing should definitely be a skill.
    baby%20bat_zpsgzvzhrnc.gif
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    on this i fully agree 200% on this plus it was introduce in the sims2 freetime if i remember corrrectly
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Louise_G0325Louise_G0325 Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited April 2019
    I would also like if we can maybe get CASt on these particular clothing meshes, like how we got CASt for pets. It could satisfy simmers' need for the tool, but in a manageable way for the devs and game performance. It would also offer a lot of freedom and be a really fun, rewarding hobby.
  • Teena94Teena94 Posts: 65 Member
    This would be great. Then they could also set up a little shop and sell their creations. And it would be really cool if its a skill that elders could pick up faster, and if an elder teaches someone younger, the younger sim will learn the skill faster.
  • MagdaleenaMagdaleena Posts: 973 Member
    Yes please!!! (I actually posted a thread about this a while back, I think?)

I do have a few sims that I think should be able to sew, it's such a bummer that it's not an option yet.

lil_pixel_boys.png
    they/he
    simblr
  • ShepardShepard Posts: 125 Member
    Oooohh yes, please! I got some serious TS2 nostalgia feels now...
  • FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
    edited May 2019
    Anmirla wrote: »
    I've always thought this would be a great addition to a Farming EP. Start with shearing whatever animal (sheep/llama), spinning the wool and then sewing a completed project. There can be an option where Sims can just order the material on the computer to sew their projects, carrying the craft over into other worlds without a hitch.

Yes sewing as a skill would be a great addition to a Farming Expansion! The wool gets sheared from the sheep, then spinned into yarn using the spinning wheel and then sewed!
    latest?cb=20120723010721
    a256aFi.gif
  • CaityTrinaCaityTrina Posts: 555 Member
    We need Sims 4 Freetime
    caitytrina.png
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited May 2019
    CaityTrina wrote: »
    We need Sims 4 Freetime

Yes! They could even bring back the aspiration meter and aspiration perks like we had in TS2. Like how Family sims could make grandmas soup which would cure any disease instantly or knowledge sims could summon aliens through the telescope.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1

Yes sewing as a skill would be a great addition to a Farming Expansion! The wool gets sheared from the sheep, then spinned into yarn using the spinning wheel and then sewed!
    latest?cb=20120723010721

I think we could do with a more modern depiction.

latest?cb=20120123031849

TS Mobile has a sewing machine.

041afda5a706ee6f1215fdf1c4d2b552922d6121_500.jpg
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Masters_In_SimologyMasters_In_Simology Posts: 62 Member
    I am all for new skills. Plus it also fits with a previous idea about a Fashion career.
    edited May 2019
    I'd really like to have toy crafting back. It was super fun in TS2 to craft all sorts of toys for kids to play with.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
    edited May 2019
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

latest?cb=20120723010721

It looks like you are confusing a spinning wheel with a sewing machine. You have to spin the wool into fiber strands and then there is another contraption to weave the fiber strands together to make the cloth.

• DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member

latest?cb=20120723010721

It looks like you are confusing a spinning wheel with a sewing machine. You have to spin the wool into fiber strands and then there is another contraption to weave the fiber strands together to make the cloth.

A loom. I'd love to have a loom. Then my sims could create quilts, throws, blankets, etc.
    edited May 2019
    Dannydanbo wrote: »

latest?cb=20120723010721

A loom. I'd love to have a loom. Then my sims could create quilts, throws, blankets, etc.

Yes, that's it! Thank you. I couldn't think of what it was called for my life! :D
    I dl'd one for my medieval Sims in TS2.
  • SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    this could be a good substitute for the colourwheel and patterns :)
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • DreamCytcherDreamCytcher Posts: 168 Member

latest?cb=20120723010721

This spinning wheel is the one!

They could pull a magical spin on it by enable sims to make some kind of golden thread or magical thread (literally its function in TS1), this time for some magical outfits, e.g. transparent suit.
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    These ideas are great. I'm not into sewing IRL but I loved having my sims do it in Sims 2.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
    edited May 2019

latest?cb=20120723010721

latest?cb=20120123031849

TS Mobile has a sewing machine.

041afda5a706ee6f1215fdf1c4d2b552922d6121_500.jpg

You’re confusing something. A spinning wheel doesn’t sew clothes but turns wool and fibers into yarn.

Yarn is used at the sewing machine to produce clothes. Clothes aren‘t produced at a spinning wheel, but yarn is required for clothes.

If we get it in a Farming Expansion, the first step would be spinning the animal‘s wool into yarn. Then second step is using the yarn at the sewing machine to sew clothes.
    a256aFi.gif
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,752 Member
    with a spinning wheel- if there is a "fantasy" pack we could have the option of having a "Sleeping curse" be placed on the spinning wheel (or any OTHER object)
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Sakuske1Sakuske1 Posts: 86 Member
    Yes, please! I would use this all the time with my sims!
    Check out my Gallery with Origin ID: kkranich
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,958 Member
    YES! also they could add embroidery hoop and embroidery skill to make some decor
    or embroider the clothes you just made with sewing table!!!
    also knitting! id love some woolly socks and mittens
    could even make toys or something? decorative pillows collection?
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    edited June 2019
    we have a mod for this feature.

Origin ID MichaelUKingdon