Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Project Fenbury

Comments

• Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    Hidehi wrote: »

So sorry to read about all your trouble with your store stuff not showing up @Bettyboop55 :'(

I am not that great with computers myself but I'm just wondering if you have tried to swap out the recent DCCache in your EA folder you have on your computer now with the one you have in your copy of your EA folder you have saved on your EHD just before the reinstall?

I always work with 2 DCCache folders ... one for CAW and one for my normal builds and play ... I have reduced store content for the use with CAW because of EIG crashing if I have to many store items ... it's definitely no problem swapping them around.

It could be that the DCCache of the saved version has still all the store content in it that you've used for creating Fenbury and then everything will show up again when you use CAW .... you would also need to use the Fenbury world files saved on your EHD before the new install.

But I can imagine you've already tried everything ... sometimes this game is just extremely infuriating and frustrating :s

I am such a newbie to CAW that I never thought about the DCCache. It is definitely worth trying. At the time of the reinstall I took a copy of the entire Electronic Arts folder for my EHD. I am glad I did now. If there is time tomorrow I will give it a go. So thank you for the suggestion :)
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • HidehiHidehi Posts: 1,109 Member

Keeping my fingers and toes crossed that you are successful in getting Fenbury back to it's original state :) x
  • MissyHissyMissyHissy Posts: 2,022 Member
    All fingers crossed for you! I hope you can get it back to where it was before!
    *All my mods can be found on The Daily Plumbob*MiAqoAE.png
    I can go to sleep a relatively happy woman tonight. Thank you everyone for putting up with me while I behaved like a complete drama queen. So I swapped out my DCCache and my DCBackup and put a fresh copy of Fenbury into CAW. I also took the opportunity to delete the rabbit rugs from my mods folder. The result was very disappointing.

T2siH21.png

However then I had a brain wave. I went back to a backup version which I had tucked away on my EHD.

cyqaEsG.png

The relief is enormous. Yes I have lost work, including the Edwardian seaside villa but as it happens I have a copy in my library from ground levelling the other day.

I think, in view of my heart and unwarranted stress, I shall take a few days away from Fenbury to regroup. Thank goodness I have been spending so much time on Throxton, the amount of reworking isn't going to be as bad as first thought. Odd thing though some of my installed worlds are not showing under new game menu. Getting that sorted will be better than tearing my hair out over Fenbury :D Thank you everyone for your very helpful suggestions <3
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.

Sim enim est vita
    Glad you got that fixed! It's looking great!

So glad to read that you were able to recover a fair amount of Fenbury ... the castle ruins are definitely looking fab again!! :)
    I thought I would start working on Fenbury again with one of the less onerous tasks on my long list. I have been wanting for some time to sort out the Art Gallery which, as mentioned, is in a converted railway station. There is nothing much to see externally except a few pieces dotted around here and there and some evidence of terrain painting.

O63UvpK.png

KwOIEzv.png

f8fAN14.png

I have started work on the interior as well but must abandon it for now. Like a lot of people I have visitors this weekend :)

Sim enim est vita
    Looking great so far! <3 I love the idea of converting a railway station!
    MissyHissy wrote: »
    Looking great so far! <3 I love the idea of converting a railway station!

Glad you like it :) The idea originated with the Alnwick second hand bookshop which is housed in the old railway station. It is a fantastic place to browse for books and I have found some real gems in the past. Anyway as well as books they also sell paintings and prints so that got me thinking :)

Sim enim est vita
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Yes, I love the idea of an actual railway station! Wish they’d done something like that in the EA worlds. Is it possible to add actual rails by the way (that go or seem to go somewhere)?
    5JZ57S6.png
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Yes, I love the idea of an actual railway station! Wish they’d done something like that in the EA worlds. Is it possible to add actual rails by the way (that go or seem to go somewhere)?

Yes it is a real shame. Perhaps in years to come we will be able to go on real journeys with our sims using VR. Yes it is possible to lay train tracks. In fact in a very early version I did try, however the track coming out of the train tunnel is a different gauge :/ As you know I don't use cc so looking around for a solution that way was not an option. A pity because there is some pretty cool cc out there. Anyway I really wanted to give the impression of the railway being closed. So I put down a few track pieces and then fudged the tunnel entrance with trees and bushes to disguise the difference in rail sizes :D

Sim enim est vita
    I have been fretting over the slope down to the harbour. The last time I sent a sim there she simply walked off a cliff. A while ago I saw an image of an English harbour where there were steps down to it. I have, therefore incorporated some steps into my design. Thanks to @Jessabeans for the helpful tips. I have some non routing to do and then I shall be putting Fenbury into game to check the routing before I do any further work. The only thing I am not happy with is the palms at the top of the steps. They look rather contrived and I may get rid of them.

S2MhdYt.png

Sim enim est vita
    Perhaps if you put some smaller shrubs or flowers near the base of the palms, they'd look more natural? Just a thought.
    Looking fantastic though! Very reminiscent of some English beaches <3
    MissyHissy wrote: »
    Perhaps if you put some smaller shrubs or flowers near the base of the palms, they'd look more natural? Just a thought.
    Looking fantastic though! Very reminiscent of some English beaches <3

Hubby said the same. I shall probably pop some ferns down. He also suggested putting a few more plants along the edge of the stairs.

Sim enim est vita
    YwdRLmT.png

WbC95pS.png

Better I think. Now to add the non routing and then to see if I can get the sims to use the steps.

Sim enim est vita
    That looks lovely, much more natural! Great job! <3
    I only have one pic for you today. I have gone on working on the harbour area before putting it into game for testing.

XbiHJN4.png

It doesn't look like much but it does represent a fair amount of work this week. I have not touched Throxton since last weekend :/ This brings me to the next bit which is going to take the thread off topic for a moment.

I am not a super creative person, what I manage to do, whether making a sim, building a house or making Fenbury does not come easily or naturally. At the moment I am really struggling to make reasonable progress on both projects and your kind comments and helpful tips do make a difference. However the fact remains I have a long list of items to complete before Fenbury is even ready for testing and a lot of research to do for Throxton. My head is a complete whorl and I need a breathing space. I thought a month away from posting would probably help, so I can sort out my priorities and perhaps get to some of the other projects I want to tackle this year, like setting up my youtube channel.

There is another reason. Last weekend I was accused of bullying on the forum, along with others I might add. I will accept that I am patronising, verbose and boring but the thought (rightly or wrongly) of my comments being perceived as bullying really upset me. As it happens the person who was being deliberately provocative and the person calling bully successfully managed to get the thread in question closed. This made me feel even worse. For now I do not feel like participating in forum life. I just want to lurk.

So thank you once again for your very kind comments. I do enjoy sharing progress and it means a lot to know people enjoy seeing the result.

Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    How can you say you’re not creative haha, the picture proves you definitely are ;) I can imagine it takes a lot of time, I couldn’t do it! CAW is very challenging (which is why I love following what people do with it, for me being able to play a world is not the motivation to be interested, I just love seeing people being creative and what they do with the game.

As for the other thing, I can’t emphasize enough how sorry I am that accusation upset you so much. People should really consider what impact their words can have. And apart from the fact I don’t find you patronising, verbose and boring at all, even if you were that doesn’t define bullying. I really hope to see you around here in the future, I truely am.
    5JZ57S6.png

Dearest Betty,

I've been lurking in the forums for years and never thought any of your comments were offensive, detrimental or boring!!!

I can understand that after an incident like this you'd prefer to keep your opinions to yourself and not play an active part in the forums any longer. Which would be such a shame especially as there are only a few TS3 threads that have any life left in them and like JoAnne65 I sincerely hope to see you posting again in the not too distant future.

Your CAW projects are both absolutely amazing and you are building them with so much enthusiasm, thoughtfulness and realism :o !!!
    Creating a Sim world is not an easy feat, it takes a lot of time and effort, you'll feel elation when things work out and extreme frustration when they are not ... and everyone of us will suffer from builder's block at sometime or another....

But to be honest this game is supposed to be fun and if you are getting stressed out over it it's time to take a break ... just don't give up completely as it's a fabulous feeling to play with your sims in your own creation ... to me it always feels like coming home ;) ....

I very much hope that you'll continue to post updates of your progress ... and if by any chance you would decide to share your awesome worlds when they are finished ... no matter how long it takes you ... that would be absolutely wonderful! <3

Take care! ... and Happy Simming :) x

• tammyjo329tammyjo329 Posts: 2,747 Member
    HI Bettyboop I have been gone babysitting my grandkids for 2 weeks and apparently missed all your drama. I am sorry you had to experience so much petty drama (as I am sure it was petty) You have never struck me as any of those offensive words you mentioned and I have never seen you post anything I would consider bullying.

I do hope you do not lose heart and that after a short break you come back to us and share your wonderful pictures of your worlds.

sending you hugs in hope that they helps sway you to return soon.
    Well now it was a bit of a shock opening Fenbury. What a difference to Throxton. It felt positively crowded :D

There is just one pic today of a house you have seen before. I was having trouble levelling the ground under the Edwardian House with the result I could not lay floor tiles for the upper balcony and railing. No matter how many times I did it nothing seemed to work. Then using the wireframe view I found a cluster of lines together on that particular spot. I haven't a clue what that means but decided I would have to work round it. So I give you the Edwardian House in it's new location by the side of the golf course. Not ideal but the resident sims will still get a view of the harbour and cliff tops rather than the beach. Notice the repaired balcony.

uIor8ly.jpg

The other small piece of work is the resort. I have managed to level the ground out satisfactorily and have added a door to the hidden chalets. According to @Karritz there needs to be access otherwise the resort will not function correctly. I would show pics but I had rather a sad surprise when I opened up the resort, virtually all my previous decorating has gone. This presumably is part of the missing objects fiasco and like several other interiors it will have to be reworked.

Sim enim est vita
  • SinnoraSinnora Posts: 28 Member
    What a beauty! I wanted to go back to Sims 3
    Sinnora wrote: »
    What a beauty! I wanted to go back to Sims 3

Glad you like it. You could always play both games. A lot of people do and then they get the best of both worlds :)

Sim enim est vita
    It took me a while to sort out what I was doing wrong with my Imgur account.

Anyway there isn't much to show except this new cottage which I am calling Fisherman's Cottage. I suspect no fisherman and his family have lived there in a long while. Anyway it is based on several images I have seen and it now sits on the terrain originally planned for the Edwardian House. You may remember me saying there seemed to be with an issue with the wireframe which I didn't understand. Well this lot went down without a problem, is level and I was able to build and decorate. It also extends the harbour area being just across the road from the harbour boat shed and makes the golf course look more like a links course.

LMDnL2J.png

As for the rest of my time on Fenbury I have been working out spawners. I have found plenty of info on what the spawners are but very little about how many to use. At one point poor Fenbury looked like it had chickenpox :D So I am having a rethink about that. The list is getting shorter or it was until I saw a custom world the other day which included road drains ............

Sim enim est vita
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,584 Member
    edited June 2019
    Hi :)

Hope your world is going well again. :)

No one will tell you how many spawners to use. It's up to you. :)
    You don't need many spawners. Think about where you want them to fish and at what levels; think about fun places to find some insects/butterflies; and then a few metals in spots. Spawners count on lots, too. Don't feel every community lot or area has to have spawners.
    I know I place them on the worlds and then make myself remove some. :lol:

The pet Spawners use the base game spawners so don't feel you Have to have those unless you want specific Pet spawners in an area. :)

Drains, street signs, lights, manhole covers, street lights, trashcans... except I don't know what goes with English town roads/country. :blush: