Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Will this PC run the sims 4?

Hi there,

I’m looking to buy a new desktop primarily to play the sims 4 base game and a few expansion, stuff packs. Does this desktop have the right specs etc?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-Professional-Computer-Certified-Refurbished/dp/B07116YQB4/ref=mp_s_a_1_8?crid=36IIKOEL6QWFM&keywords=desktop+pc+gaming&qid=1556357726&s=gateway&sprefix=desktop+pc+g&sr=8-8&th=1&psc=1

It’s a HP Elite 8300 with a core of i5-3470, 8gb RAM and 1000 storage.

I was looking to buying a laptop but would have to get a gaming one for it to work and they’re pretty expensive!

I’ve checked this against the specs but I’m not 100% sure I’ve checked it right! If anyone could help me I’d be so grateful! I haven’t been able to play the game in almost 6 months and I can’t wait to play again so I definitely want to make sure I get the right machine!
Thanks!

(Also I don’t think this is in the right place- sorry!)

Comments

• Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited April 2019
    I am skeptical on this system as it does not list what GPU is in it, I believe it may be an intergrated card and those types of cards generally do not utilize dedicated memory and use system ram which tends to process video much slower and also it takes away from available resources. I would look at an system that has it's own dedicated card and also in the mid range zone. Also looking at the computer it may have an cooling problem and I am not saying it will being some games causes an GPU/CPU to work hard drawing an lot of heat.
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    if you went a good pc i would recommend the dell alienwear r8 desktop
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    Bluefairy286Bluefairy286 Posts: 254 Member
    It will run it, but a dedicated graphics card would be better. The game won't look as good with the intel hd card, you will have a lot of jagged lines.

You can get better refurbished systems for cheaper on e-bay.
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited April 2019
    This is what I found on Amazon for you. It has current generation hardware and a dedicated video card. This will run the game with all packs + Ultra settings.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/CyberpowerPC-Wyvern-1060-Gaming-PC/dp/B07D4MLWBZ/ref=sr_1_10?crid=3S2ELC7MJ86YG&keywords=gaming+desktop&qid=1556381545&s=gateway&sprefix=gaming+des,aps,263&sr=8-10

What you linked doesn't seem to include a dedicated video card and the hardware is old. The case has poor cooling as well. I'm not always against refurbished items but this computer is old. Which means it has the possibility of giving out sooner than you would like. The hardware isn't worth it. It would be wise to take that money and put it towards something much more up to date and that meets requirements with a dedicated video card (not integrated). You also want to be prepared for adding additional packs which does raise the requirements of the game.

Look for these specs when shopping -
    Processor: i5 quad-core 7th gen or better...
    i7 is nice but i5 on a desktop is fine and will be suitable for gaming with 4 cores (quad-core). AMD equivalent is also an option. *The Ryzen line can be more affordable and a better deal depending on sales.
    Video Card: GTX 1050 or better...
    A GTX 1050 on a desktop is fine.
    RAM: 8GB on a budget 16GB recommended
    Hard Drive (HDD): 1 TB hard drive or bigger...
    Hard Drives are cheap so it's worth it to go for 1TB. This is a comfortable size for most.
    Solid State Drive (SSD) *optional: 250GB or bigger...
    SSDs are faster but will raise the price point. 250GB is enough space for Windows and anything else small in size. If you would like to game on an SSD, it's recommended to go for 500GB or better.
    * It's common to find both hard drive + solid state drive paired together. Make sure the total storage amount is 1TB or bigger.

The specs listed above will be suitable for Sims. Check to see if any other games you wish to play have higher game requirements.

Post edited by SimplyJen on
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    Processor i5 is fast so your good on that. You can still buy a graphics card even if it has integrated chips.

I recommend the Nvidia GE 1000 series card. The 900 series is good too. These are fast cards and will let you play on the highest video settings.

Also the higher the ram on the card the better.
  • Options
    Zango11Zango11 Posts: 133 Member
    SimplyJen wrote: »
    This is what I found on Amazon for you. It has current generation hardware and a dedicated video card. This will run the game with all packs + Ultra settings.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/CyberpowerPC-Wyvern-1060-Gaming-PC/dp/B07D4MLWBZ/ref=sr_1_10?crid=3S2ELC7MJ86YG&keywords=gaming+desktop&qid=1556381545&s=gateway&sprefix=gaming+des,aps,263&sr=8-10

What you linked doesn't seem to include a dedicated video card and the hardware is old. The case has poor cooling as well. I'm not always against refurbished items but this computer is old. Which means it has the possibility of giving out sooner than you would like. The hardware isn't worth it. It would be wise to take that money and put it towards something much more up to date and that meets requirements with a dedicated video card (not integrated). You also want to be prepared for adding additional packs which does raise the requirements of the game.

Look for these specs when shopping -
    Processor: i5 quad-core 7th gen or better...
    i7 is nice but i5 on a desktop is fine and will be suitable for gaming with 4 cores (quad-core). AMD equivalent is also an option. *The Ryzen line can be more affordable and a better deal depending on sales.
    Video Card: GTX 1050 or better...
    A GTX 1050 on a desktop is fine.
    RAM: 8GB on a budget 16GB recommended
    Hard Drive (HDD): 1 TB hard drive or bigger...
    Hard Drives are cheap so it's worth it to go for 1TB. This is a comfortable size for most.
    Solid State Drive (SSD) *optional: 250GB or bigger...
    SSDs are faster but will raise the price point. 250GB is enough space for Windows and anything else small in size. If you would like to game on an SSD, it's recommended to go for 500GB or better.
    * It's common to find both hard drive + solid state drive paired together. Make sure the total storage amount is 1TB or bigger.

The specs listed above will be suitable for Sims. Check to see if any other games you wish to play have higher game requirements.

Thanks for breaking down the specs for me! I’m definitely not great with technology but the explanation really helps! I think I will save up a little bit more and get something like that, I’ll be playing just sims but I hope to be playing a lot and potentially get more packs etc so better to get it right!

Thanks everyone for your help! :smile:

• Options
    WaytoomanyUIDsWaytoomanyUIDs Posts: 845 Member
    edited April 2019
    IMO, for the Sims an Nvidia 1050 is total overkill, any Nvidia 1000 series card or AMD Radeon 500 or 400 series card would do. If you are going to play anything more demanding, then yes, get the 1050. Although you have more room to manouvre with Graphics cards these days as the higher end ones aren't so insanely overpriced anymore.

Also any recent Intel i5 CPU will do perfectly for the Sims. The most important thing is at least 8Gb of RAM and a 1 Tb hard drive. An SSD would be very nice but is not essential for Sims 4, although if you are also going to be playing Sims3 it will really speed up load times if you install it there.
    Origin/Gallery ID: WaytoomanyUIDs