March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A Bit Unhappy. One for the Rotational Players.

Can you guess?

Playing multiple households for basically the first time.
Had two Sims from seperate households get accidentally pregnant {cheers risky woohoo}.
Pregnant Sim has seemingly given birth while I was rotated away from her household. :#

I was really looking forward to playing this out properly.

I have save points where I could return to prior to rotating away and allow her to have the baby, but I have played strictly Sunday morning to Sunday 2am. Going back would also mean forfeiting the promotion and skill gains of three or four Sim days. :|

What to do?

Comments

• citysimmercitysimmer Posts: 5,950 Member
    That's the worst thing about playing rotationally. Everything will stay the same but pregnant sims will automatically give birth while you're away. I don't know why, it annoys me to no end.

I would just move on since I don't really enjoy playing out pregnancies much, but if the pregnancy gameplay is worth more to you than the skill gains/promotions, going back could be worth it.
    Proud black simmer 🖤
    MfVGMbL.jpg

• LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    A while back I asked something very similar to this, and this is what several told me.

If you have something important coming up, such as a birth, promotion, or whatever, play that household until those things happen, then move on to the next household. Keep note of how long you played that household, and deduct those same number of days the next time you play, and give it to the next household that lost that time. So if you needed an extra 3 days for the Smith family, that would mean the Jones family would lose those 3 days. Then when you come back around take those three days away from the Smith family, and then give the Jones family back the days they lost on the last round. I hope this made sense.
  • Sha2520032003Sha2520032003 Posts: 2,258 Member
    @NRowe - Not sure if you play with mods or are to playing with them, but with MC Command Center you can pause a pregnancy. That's what I do if I have a pregnant Sim in another Playable household (& know they're pregnant), I'll pause it and then when I rotate back to that family it'll resume the pregnancy.
  • RebbilinaRebbilina Posts: 377 Member
    edited April 2019
    I play rotationally and what I have done is to make pregnancies longer by using MCCC. It’s mainly for story telling purpose, I want to have time to play my sims pregnancies properly, but it also gives me enough time to play other families before the baby is born. I have extremely long lifespans though (used MCCC for them as well),but that’s how I’ve done it:
  • NRoweNRowe Posts: 7,877 Member
    I may need to just let it be for now; for this baby. Good to know that in the future I can look into pausing the pregnancy. I’d hate to got through this every time.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,644 Member
    I don't play pregnancy and babies that much, maybe because I play rotationally and things happen too quickly, but also because my focus is on other aspects of their lives. So, this didn't worry me a lot.

But, if I wanted to play with multiple pregnant households, I think I'd join them to a "pregnant club", having them hang out together. Then I could at least see them all being pregnant, although that would probably not enough to keep you happy :) Although pregnancies go like a winfd in not played houses, you can keep their baby as long as you like. At least that's a good thing.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    This is one reason I made pregnancies longer with MC Command Center.

Not only were pregnancies tripping me out because of them going through the whole process in one single season, I also enjoy taking my time in the game and so three days really wasn’t cutting it.
    So I put my seasons on the longest setting and I made the pregnancies long enough to last for about three seasons. It’s been really nice.
    I don’t have a strict schedule for when I rotate, but I’ll sometimes spend Sim-weeks playing a single household before I get bored and move onto a different one of my own choosing. Having longer seasons and longer pregnancies to go with them has been really nice, because I don’t have to worry about switching back to that household at such a short notice. I can play other households and other Sims for long periods of time and still get to enjoy pregnancies.
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    I've just had the birth of twins in one of my households that already had two children and a toddler. I quickly rotated to the next as I've not the energy to manage that household right now!
  • EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    I play rotational in my main save, rotating weekly. I only try for baby in the first half of the week. This doesn't help with risky woohoo, but that's what contraception is for.

I also flag sims for No Offspring once they have had enough kids.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    Yeah, I really hate when a Sims game is programmed to take any control of my sims and do things without my consent, like pregnancies and jobs. This is why I hate Story Progression. If they do another Sims game and choose to add Story Progression, it should only affect townies and game generated Sims, not player Sims. Or at least come with a way to "opt out". Until then, at least we have mods.

But I generally don't have a rotational system. I just jump around between households as I feel like playing them, so if I do get a pregnant Sim, I'll usually just play them through the birth before I switch. I have more fun playing on my own whims.
    #Team Occult
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,294 Member
    I don't like the names the game gives newborns. Early on, I realized, too, that any school age Sims get the shaft in their grades, if I rotate away. Not long after, I decided to play each household for a Sim week, making certain that any Sims to be added to any families would be done in that week. I also find myself wanting to stay with the newest household, rather than switch. To make certain other Sims are born (playing my ancestral save) I will jump to whichever household and amend the situation.

In my 'regular' save, I also find myself having to go to the other family members' households to least age up the Sims that haven't done so, on their own. It's not enough to let all age, when you're playing on Long. Some toddlers need to be Child Sims when the last uncle married starts having his own Sims. So, I find myself bobbing back and forth. Yeah, it's pretty close to insane, but hey, it keeps me happy. ;)

As for missing out on the birthing of a Sim, I agree with the others. If that is far more important, more integral to your 'story', go back to a save that would allow you to enjoy that moment. Raises/promotions will still come along.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Stina1701AStina1701A Posts: 1,183 Member
    I am also a rotational player and although I try to adhere to strict 7 day stay in each household (except the ones that are less important and get lesser days) I do extend those 7 days if something like this happens or if I want to finish off other important milestone in a Sim life before moving on to another household (like ageing up, promotions, engagements, weddings, etc).

I have left a household while a Sim is pregnant and had the birthing happen while in another household if I don't care about which gender gets born and I can ALWAYS change the game generated names if I don't care for them. For instance Beedha's daughter (I had no idea they were pregnant when I got CL) got a name change when I folded their household into my rotation. But I kept Kory Caliente's name because I found it suit him.
  • QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    If I get an unexpected pregnancy I just turn aging off temporarily, play until the baby is born and immediately aged up, then I finish the week with a vampire. I here babies get neglected if you’re not playing them, and get taken away when you get back.
  • GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    What I do is keep track of their days for each trimester (I upped mine to 28 day pregnancies), so when they get into their second tri. and I'm not playing them. I will just pop back in to have them get an ultrasound, and set up their nursery. And then I will also pop back in when it's time to deliver so I can be there when they give birth.

I also do this when it's close to a sim's birthday, mainly if they are babies, toddlers, and kids. So I can see them age up, get pics, and give them new clothing, and update their bedrooms.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    I don't like the names the game gives newborns. Early on, I realized, too, that any school age Sims get the shaft in their grades, if I rotate away. Not long after, I decided to play each household for a Sim week, making certain that any Sims to be added to any families would be done in that week. I also find myself wanting to stay with the newest household, rather than switch. To make certain other Sims are born (playing my ancestral save) I will jump to whichever household and amend the situation.

In my 'regular' save, I also find myself having to go to the other family members' households to least age up the Sims that haven't done so, on their own. It's not enough to let all age, when you're playing on Long. Some toddlers need to be Child Sims when the last uncle married starts having his own Sims. So, I find myself bobbing back and forth. Yeah, it's pretty close to insane, but hey, it keeps me happy. ;)

As for missing out on the birthing of a Sim, I agree with the others. If that is far more important, more integral to your 'story', go back to a save that would allow you to enjoy that moment. Raises/promotions will still come along.

I don't really care about the names of unknown townies oh, but I like to name my own played Simms so I hit Council when the birth notice pops up so that I can choose them myself.
  • hevkerhevker Posts: 84 Member
    I've only recently began to play rotationally in a legacy save i'm currently addicted too. The baby thing was irritating at first because I would leave a household with a pregnant sim. Only for them to be born the next sim day (when they weren't due) as I played another household. Other than grades being a bit dodgy sometimes but luckily that doesn't really matter at the moment. If we get University this might totally change for me. Overall I am enjoying the rotational play but I have switched to much longer lifespans so I don't feel rushed.
  • lzbthnndglslzbthnndgls Posts: 285 Member
    > @QueenMercy said:
    > I here babies get neglected if you’re not playing them, and get taken away when you get back.

Not sure where you heard that, but this has never happened to me before. I think maybe if your sim in another household had a baby and your current played sim goes to visit them, the baby could get taken away because their needs only decay when you're on the same lot with them and babies just born are ALWAYS hungry. If you don't feed the baby within a sim hour they get the "___ is hungry. Be sure to feed them before they get taken away." So if my sim is visiting a house with a baby(newborn or otherwise), I always make sure to knock on the door and then feed them immediately before interacting with any of the other sims on the lot.

I have the MCCC story progression on and the Bjergsen household had a baby girl named Lilah and while I might have auto age off for played sims (the Bjergsens are technically played since I moved Sofie from their household), Lilah has not gotten taken away. I have invited the entire Bjergsen family over to my sim's house at once, taken my sim to their house, invited them to sim-hours long parties, etc and Lilah has been fine. I just make sure my sim feeds her when I get to their house. I will say that at first I had to do bb.enablefreebuild and move the bassinet downstairs (I always keep the baby in the living room just for easy access) but yeah, Lilah has always been fine and when I look at unplayed households in that save I can recognize other babies/toddlers and they're doing just fine.
    Check out my builds on the gallery by searching my username: lzbthnndgls
  • CaityTrinaCaityTrina Posts: 555 Member
    I use mccommand and have a longer period of time for pregnancy on, along with pausing once in 3rd trimester if I don't feel like playing them anymore but don't want to miss it.
    caitytrina.png