Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why do pregnant sims drive the car to the hospital when giving birth?

Comments

• MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    Mikezumi wrote: »
    Seriously OP if you try to stop the sim driving a car or indeed leaving the house because you want them to experience a home birth, the sim will do everything in her power to get to the hospital. Usually trailed by her partner or if they aren't available any other adult sim on the property. What winds me up is the sim gets in the car but leaves the partner standing on the pavement to hail a taxis. The same can happen when the baby is born and all three attempt to go home. Very odd programming indeed.

I have only ever had a couple of sims try to go to the hospital and I have had thousands of births in my game over the years. I could be wrong but I felt that it happened when I didn't stop the partner from reacting to the impending birth. I stop them after I have taken a couple of pics. The "baby dance" is good for a laugh but only for a few seconds :#

:D you clearly have your sims under better control than me.

I play on high free will and don't direct my sims much at all but it occurred to me that the times it did happen that my sims tried to go to the hospital was when I was playing male/female couples. Perhaps males don't get pushed to hospital when they have babies? :grey_question:
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited April 2019
    I play on high free will and don't direct my sims much at all but it occurred to me that the times it did happen that my sims tried to go to the hospital was when I was playing male/female couples. Perhaps males don't get pushed to hospital when they have babies? :grey_question:
    Hospitals can be tacky. We much prefer fashionable department stores and upscale day spas. B)

Just kidding, my male sims get pushed to the hospital to give birth the same as females. With some mod usage of course, otherwise we would only be talking about births resulting from alien abductions and I actually have no idea if those are any different (suspect not, though).
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • KelvinKelvin Posts: 6,899 Member
    edited April 2019
    My pregnant sim rides bikes to the hospital to give birth! :joy:
    chicken-run-ginger-i-just-decided-i-dont-care-idc-gif-20619284.gif
    ._.
  • AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    edited April 2019
    @Mikezumi , @igazor I am also curious.
    In one older save when Gladsten Farmwell was about to have his alien child, the family was at a community lot, and he autonomously went home and had the baby in the yard. I do not remember getting the coloured notification with the stork saying he was about to have a baby.

When I latest used the genetic merger in The Door of Life and Death my female werewolf got the notification and I sent her to the hospital. I do not remember how it fared the last time I tried with a male, so I just did with Gobias Koffi - no notification, just a birth; when the count down for Cryptic Pregnancy Stage Two was over.

But are they pushed? Autonomous behaviour is allowed for having baby at hospital and take to hospital, but in Pregnancy+HaveBabyAtHospital the LikingGateToGoToHospital is value 0 (but a bonus mood point for hospital birth: 20). Maybe it is just the notification? I assume this is not comprehensive and perhaps misunderstood; I will be glad if you could add.

Edit: Perhaps it is more about the potential hospital birth, than push; since Koffi did not have that available to him.
    Post edited by Auroraskies on
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited April 2019
    Hmm, I don't think genetically engineered babies "count" in this sense because there wouldn't be a sim acting as the incubator (argh, sorry that's not a very nice word but "carrier" sounds even worse, as if babies are a disease or something and I can't right away think of what else to use). So there isn't actually a birth where the baby is inside of the parent sim as we traditionally think of it, it's more like a petri dish or test tube kind of life generator.

I don't have the Door of Life and Death though, and am only going by the ITF form of genetic engineering and Science Center cloning. Does the Door method really make a sim pregnant?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member

They certainly do. I simply cancel the travel, if I want a home birth (which I generally prefer). First time I had a pregnancy, I let them go to the hospital because it was how the game played it, and it was my first. Others have tried to go, but I prefer it to happen at home, and have to watch closely to assure that.

Here's Dane, in the kitchen - there are some things for which even a Scout is not prepared - and then on the porch, having gotten out the kitchen door before I could cancel.

OkOozwe.jpg

AebscCC.jpg
    edited April 2019
    Hehe, well aside from the nice way of putting it, the Door gives the opportunity to choose a donor (Connor Frio in this case), and a nice encounter with Grim makes the one asking for it singed and that starts a moodlet: Cryptic Pregnancy, which has two stages, á 24 hours I think, and the birth animation is the same as I have seen the rare times I had a home birth with a female not doing it with Grim's help; as well as with an alien birth. The female asking acts like other pregnant sims; the male like in an alien pregnancy (getting bigger in body).

(Edit: I do not think the female gets burned by the encounter but gets the Feel Sick Unknown Cause moodlet)
  • MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    Perhaps my sims prefer home births because I can't remember more than a couple of attempts to go to the hospital and that was when I allowed the "baby dance" to go on for too long. Or perhaps it's because I usually direct them to a bedroom so the rest of the family isn't disturbed during the window that they would be pushed to the hospital?
    @Sindocat Do you have a mod to allow male pregnancy in game?
    Yes, I use an NRaas mod that allows same-sex partners to have children together. Because it also has features that exceed a T rating. we cannot name it, here. ;)
    edited April 2019
    I have not payed attention that much, and have only had a few pregnancies, female as well as the male variants available in unmodded/store modded game. I think if someone who is more familiar with the alien births perhaps would remember if the male sims gets to go to the hospital, with the notification prompting them in text to do so; if not the question if males are pushed in unmodded game is answered. But I am still curious if it is a 'push'; or an available action possible to be carried out autonomously by sims.

Edit: That is an interesting method @Mikezumi, disallowing the convergence of several sims wants! :smiley:
    @Sindocat I know which one you are referring to :smiley:
    I am still curious if it is a 'push'; or an available action possible to be carried out autonomously by sims.
    Again, I have only played pregnancy in a modded game, but I think I recall seeing "Take [Pregnant Sim] to Hospital" as a selectable player choice.
    edited April 2019
    @Sindocat Yes, it is allowed in vanilla too as an autonomous as well as player directed action, by sims teen to elder.

Edit: When I read 'push', I am thinking of the way the game pushes sims to go to certain venues etc, based on their traits and the players actions. So not the same thing as 'available as directed action should the player choose so' :smiley:
    It sometimes pushes them, automatically, to autonomously go to the hospital, as well as offering a player action to do so. So it works both ways.
    Where would I find that, if I wanted to look at it?
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    @Sindocat Do you have a mod to allow male pregnancy in game?
    Male pregnancies are also possible when you have ITF (not sure how exactly, never done that) and when a male is abducted by aliens.
    5JZ57S6.png
    edited April 2019
    @JoAnne65 Yes, and by knocking on Grim's Door. I have not tried the ITF way yet. I am mostly curious if this option of going to the hospital for a birth, for female sims in unmodded/store modded game, and males With a certain mod in place - is something that has a bigger pull on the sims than not going; and where to find it in the packages - just to look at.
  • Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    I wonder has anyone seen their witch travel to hospital by broomstick to give birth? That would be awesome. I know OP likes a more realistic game but I like my supernaturals and travelling to hospital by taxi seems rather prosaic :)
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
    I'm sorry, I did not mean to take over the thread. Brooms are very realistic for witches! :smiley:
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    @JoAnne65 Yes, and by knocking on Grim's Door. I have not tried the ITF way yet. I am mostly curious if this option of going to the hospital for a birth, for female sims in unmodded/store modded game, and males With a certain mod in place - is something that has a bigger pull on the sims than not going; and where to find it in the packages - just to look at.
    Ah, yes, true! I tried that once by the way and got a pudding face kid :|
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    I'm sorry, I did not mean to take over the thread. Brooms are very realistic for witches! :smiley:

I don't think you did that. Pregnancy and sims is a very diverse topic, just as pregnancy is in RL. I was just reading through the thread and had a sudden thought that I had never seen a single one of my pregnant witches take a broomstick ride the hospital. For that matter I haven't seen a pregnant fairy fly there either. It's probably another piece of programming where someone didn't pipe up and say "how are the pregnant witches/fairies/vampires etc going to get to the hospital ?" A pity really because it could have been funny rather more than the irritation of having a pregnant sim slip behind the wheel of regular car.
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
    @JoAnne65 The werewolf Lupin, in the thread about fave supes, was a rather nice outcome of the Door; although I think my tolerance for pudding is the same as for the real deal :smiley: Her other mother is Zelda Mae; turned werewolf by the birth mother.

@Bettyboop55 Thank you. I wish I could answer your question, but I have never played a pregnant witch (or a not pregnant one); and if it would be something I could try to look for I am unable to do so now. Doesn’t the witches get a broom though, and are able to use it autonomously? Like @Waterdragon said; any available vehicle :wink: I assume any other vehicles would have to be taken out of the pregnant sim's, as well as any potential driver's, inventory. The vampire speed run would be the most effective way of going to the hospital!
  • KeiomestreKeiomestre Posts: 195 Member
    Or if one of your sims is a Fire Chief, get the pregnant sim in the Fire Engine, whack on the siren and drive to the hospital.

I had a fire truck at home. It was the only vehicle able to carry more than 1 sim and I ordered the father to take the mother to the hospital. But she just decided her motorcycle was a better idea. :D

Her face is not so happy.
    uG63sqX.jpg
    ..... ..... ..... ..... My favorite Sims 3 family: THE ENFADONHOS!..... ..... ..... .....
    Vgfhu74.jpg
  • emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,110 Member
    Ha ha! This thread is great! :lol: All y'all's comments crack me up!

To the OP, in labor Sims driving, or biking, themselves to the hospital drives me nuts too...

But lately it hasn't because I've opted to have my Sims give birth at home now, especially when I learned that home births result in a greater relationship status between mother and baby. <3
    52607642900_bbbac3a314_c.jpg