Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Distant Terrain

Hi there, I'm currently working on a world that already has lots on it so starting over isn't an option and I'm trying to add distant terrain. What's the ideal world size to add distant terrain; how can I grab/rotate it if possible; and is there a way I can find the coordinates of the world to align it properly? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• JessabeansJessabeans Posts: 3,714 Member
    edited April 2019
    Most of the distant terrains were made to fit the edges of EA worlds (Large 300), if you need to change the world size after you've started you can export your current heightmap using the export heightmap button at the top (under terrain), and change the canvas size in a photo editing program to 2048x2048 pixels and then reimport it using the import heightmap button. If you started with a large map you should be fine.

You can rotate it or adjust its height easier by using the object panel once you've selected it and change the values with your keyboard instead of trying to use the axis.

You can find a lot of the coordinates here: https://cawtool.fandom.com/wiki/Aligning_Distant_Terrain
  • figureitout01figureitout01 Posts: 188 Member
    Jessabeans wrote: »
    Most of the distant terrains were made to fit the edges of EA worlds (Large 300), if you need to change the world size after you've started you can export your current heightmap using the export heightmap button at the top (under terrain), and change the canvas size in a photo editing program to 2048x2048 pixels and then reimport it using the import heightmap button. If you started with a large map you should be fine.

You can rotate it or adjust its height easier by using the object panel once you've selected it and change the values with your keyboard instead of trying to use the axis.

You can find a lot of the coordinates here: https://cawtool.fandom.com/wiki/Aligning_Distant_Terrain

Hi there and thanks for the response! Going to try changing the size now. Would photoshop work? And it's one of the problems of this world is that I'm not sure what the original size even was so now actually considering just starting something else entirely. But thanks for the advice.
  • JessabeansJessabeans Posts: 3,714 Member
    Photoshop is just fine. You will be able to see the original size once you export it. When you open it in photoshop if the canvas size will tell you the world size you began with.

SmallMaps are 512px by 512px, MediumMaps are 1024px by 1024px and LargeMaps are 2048px by 2048px. Even if you've used a custom size, if you make the canvas larger instead of the image larger you will just have extra space on the edges of your map when you make it larger.
  • figureitout01figureitout01 Posts: 188 Member
    Jessabeans wrote: »
    Photoshop is just fine. You will be able to see the original size once you export it. When you open it in photoshop if the canvas size will tell you the world size you began with.

SmallMaps are 512px by 512px, MediumMaps are 1024px by 1024px and LargeMaps are 2048px by 2048px. Even if you've used a custom size, if you make the canvas larger instead of the image larger you will just have extra space on the edges of your map when you make it larger.

Turns out it was a large map after all. Went back to tinkering with the Distant Terrain and I've got it working with the Sunset Valley one finally though had to raise it down a bit. Hoping the underwater parts don't show up in game. Thanks again for the help!