Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Smarter AI, How Many Would Really Like Independent Sims?

CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
edited November 2018 in The Sims 4 Ideas Corner
We all say we want smarter AI, right? How many of you would like this type of independent Sim?

Poll Question, would you be happy to see your Sims think for themselves and act upon their desires with an Independent Trait?

Attributes: 1. Able to buy unusal and pricey objects and decor online without player input. Like when Sims contribute to chairty on their own. This could be decor and objects not available in buymode.

2. File for Divorce, just because, no apparent reasons to player but just because they no longer like partner

3. Send kids to boarding school (not culled).

4. Hire repairman, nanny, butlers autonomously if they have the trait.

5. Change the colors of rooms to suit themselves, change wallpapers, floors etc. Use pc to do this orders new wallpaper and floors.

6. Cooks food for later and puts it away for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

7. Changes which rooms in home are particular rooms by moving furniture and decor to other areas. Redesigns their own homes. :p

8. Orders a pet, or gets rid of a pet.

9. Enters a school or higher education center, changes direction to fill their own Aspiration

10. Would Decide to move in or out with others.
"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

Smarter AI, How Many Would Really Like Independent Sims? 83 votes

Yes! I would love my Sims to be able to do all this on their own.
14%
Bagoas77JennyggSim2SporeMoonCrossWarrior22domina89shnailehMagicalZiacomicsforlifepinneduphairthatsnotswegpeeanggVGN34D 12 votes
No, I'm in charge.
42%
DannydanboPlayerSinger2010StormkeepSerraNolwenfriendlysimmerscatloverplayermarcel21N0NoTToN0Ndetermigfullspirallittlemissgogobekkasancatitude5mariajane216MaggieMarleyLatinaBunnyGwinielsamlyt22ChadSims2Karababy52 35 votes
Maybe, but I would want notices to approve their choices.
22%
alan650111AlrynnIObelleRoboSpongieEmmaVanexx8lobo8xxannaliese39texxx78Internal_ChaosMasonGamergabrielleMMXNamor98Louise_G0325ListentoToppDoggLadyDaisy15DoopsSoupRememberJoymapletreesims 19 votes
I like some of the ideas but not all.
20%
fruitsbasket101InsaneStarDaemonPawsAdria22TechbiltmikaChe1vzYardenroDarTeachesMsKatieRoselogionDreamCytcherMasters_In_SimologynerdfashionEndless_DaysLittlePollyannaAngeliqueAdelaide 17 votes

Comments

• Evie0602Evie0602 Posts: 634 Member
    No, I'm in charge.
    I don't like my sims doing anything by themselves. I play with autonomy off and I like controllling everything they do.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Evie0602 wrote: »
    I don't like my sims doing anything by themselves. I play with autonomy off and I like controllling everything they do.

I like to control everything myself, too. However, what if it's tied to an independent trait to test the waters of how much autonomy we really want them to have?
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    No, I'm in charge.
    I like the autonomy we have now but that seems like too much.
  • LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    No, I'm in charge.
    That sounds like an advanced story progression, and I’m kind of ambivalent about story progression in the first place, so it’s a nope for me.

Maybe some minor stuff like putting away the foods or decorating their houses, but nothing drastic like getting rid of or adding members of a household.

But I could see some of the minor things either become repetitive or become really annoying and intruding.
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    No, I'm in charge.
    It doesn't appeal to me. No point in me being there if the sim is going to go all willy-nilly.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • DaemonPawsDaemonPaws Posts: 192 Member
    I have a complicated relationship with sim autonomy, but mostly I think anything is fine as long as there is a toggle or slider so individual players can decide how much "the thing" impacts their games. I desperately want story progression added back in - which is why I think I am largely okay with some of the ideas you've listed or similar sorts of things - but I also don't want it put into place if it's going to ruin things for other simmers. If anything remotely close to this (or even just standard story progression we had in the past) is added in, it absolutely needs to have a series of controls to allow simmers to dictate the impact it has on their game. By all means, add more improvements and challenges, but do not force it on everyone. I think there's a good discussion to have around this kind of stuff, but I only want the team to make big strides toward stuff like this if they are going to do it in a way that doesn't ruin the game for others.
    Origin - DaemonPaws
  • fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    I just want them to have a personality that reflects the traits I gave them and differs from another sim I made with completely different traits. I'm not sure I would like them to be entirely autonomous, I just wish they had more varied whims based on their personality. Basically I want them to be more aware of themselves, other sims, and their surroundings, but still give me the control. For example, if I make a sim in CAS that can't have children but they may be family-oriented, I want them to get a whim to adopt a child with their partner rather than have a baby with. I just want the smarter sims we were promised at the beginning of the sims 4 and for them to react appropriately to the situations and world around them.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • ScarletSimEaterScarletSimEater Posts: 126 Member
    No, I'm in charge.
    The only one on your list I want is for sims to sometimes cook whole meals and put away the leftovers. Everything else, we're looking at AI way beyond what our computers can handle.

Most of what I want would involve smarter sim interpersonal interactions. Objects in the world are overwhelmingly my thing as the player.
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    No, I'm in charge.
    Ever since the Self configureable autonomy mod free will in any form has been purged from my game.

Ideally the sims' whims should contain all of the things mentioned in the first post. I'm okay with the sims telling me what direction they want our story to go and then we can (maybe) reach a compromise. But no acting on their own.
  • RoboSpongieRoboSpongie Posts: 1,042 Member
    Depends on situation but I want to be in control most of the time
    = Sims Player for 17+ Years =
    tumblr_inline_nsj7xjgkAi1rrkf1x_500.gif
    Thank everyone for responding, I don't always get notices threads have been updated or responded to by replies. I didn't mean to let this thread go to the bottom, but with Thanksgiving and all I got distracted, and didn't see any notices, either.
  • MoonCrossWarrior22MoonCrossWarrior22 Posts: 719 Member
    edited November 2018
    I want my household do their own things, like hosting parties, hosting other events, getting and into relationships, get married, cheating, get divorced, visiting other lots, having kids, moving, get a job, get fired, put themselves into danger due to risk of being dumb thus ripping, if evil; they will resort to evil acts like trying to rip a sim and go to jail, robbing other sims and riisk going to jail, If angry, they will act that anger such as getting into fights, etc! :O

I'd be sitting there eating popcorn as I watch my sims in first person doing all these things. It's kinda like a story progression for player controlled households! I'd be much more hooked if this happened. :D

It should be a optional feature since some people like to FULL control their household/ townies.
    If you are interested in challenges; check out the Reincarnation challenge right at this link! here! | If you want spectator mode; go to this link. (for sims 3) here
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    No, I'm in charge.
    No I want to be in charge of my sims.
  • SimsterLivSimsterLiv Posts: 92 Member
    No, I'm in charge.
    i just want them to be more independent relationship wise. sometimes im stuck with choosing which sim to have as a girlfriend or boyfriend so having them do it naturally can allow interesting gameplay. obviously dont want them to be too indepedent and having kids with random people. That can have like a feature or turn off or turn on for itself if need be
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    This legit sounds like it would be cool. As long as I am the deciding factor before the choice is made, I'd have no problem with something like this.
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    No, I'm in charge.
    no i chose what i went my sims to do
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • MMXMMX Posts: 4,428 Member
    This legit sounds like it would be cool. As long as I am the deciding factor before the choice is made, I'd have no problem with something like this.
    Same here.
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    No, I'm in charge.
    I don't want my sims making life changing decisions on their own. Why would I? What's the point of all that decorating if my sim will randomly change it to suit them? This sounds like a "townie clothes" explosion everywhere in my game. There's no way of knowing what we would wind up with. It won't be real decisions based on logic or color favorites or anything, it will just be random chaos happening everywhere.

The DO bug where two married sims (married to other sims) would go on a date to a restaurant caused enough of an uproar. I can only imagine what a game wide random trait might do. I don't want them marrying and divorcing or sending kids away to school unless I decide it. What's the point of making plans for your sims, game wise, if they can just ignore your story line and do what they want? Can you imagine how that would screw up so many challenges players are involved in?

These are sims, bits of programing, made to act and react like us. They can't walk into a room and "decide" that it's time to repaint the walls or apply for a job in another career. The autonomy we have now can be annoying enough when they drop your command to get a drink of water. No thank you. Keep this out of my game.
  • MoonCrossWarrior22MoonCrossWarrior22 Posts: 719 Member
    edited April 2019
    Maybe Maxis could make 2 versions of the sims in the future, one called "The Sims your in charge edition" which is the current sims while the other is called "The sims Automatron edition" which allows for full AI autonomy! and you can still control them if you want to. Better yet; the full autonomy feature could be used as a game pack or a expansion? I'd buy it if they did that. :)
    If you are interested in challenges; check out the Reincarnation challenge right at this link! here! | If you want spectator mode; go to this link. (for sims 3) here
  • MsKatieRoseMsKatieRose Posts: 672 Member
    Because I like building, I would not like it if the Sim changed the décor at all. Also, not their wardrobe. However, I would like an "option" to allow Sims to go to work on their own, visit other places (clubs, restaurants) and Sims. That way if you haven't played a Sim in a while, they would have at least made some progress on their own in terms of gardening, working/promotions, skill building, and relationships.
    Always be your unapologetically and authentic self
    edited April 2019
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    I don't want my sims making life changing decisions on their own. Why would I? What's the point of all that decorating if my sim will randomly change it to suit them? This sounds like a "townie clothes" explosion everywhere in my game. There's no way of knowing what we would wind up with. It won't be real decisions based on logic or color favorites or anything, it will just be random chaos happening everywhere.

The DO bug where two married sims (married to other sims) would go on a date to a restaurant caused enough of an uproar. I can only imagine what a game wide random trait might do. I don't want them marrying and divorcing or sending kids away to school unless I decide it. What's the point of making plans for your sims, game wise, if they can just ignore your story line and do what they want? Can you imagine how that would screw up so many challenges players are involved in?

These are sims, bits of programing, made to act and react like us. They can't walk into a room and "decide" that it's time to repaint the walls or apply for a job in another career. The autonomy we have now can be annoying enough when they drop your command to get a drink of water. No thank you. Keep this out of my game.

I didn't think about the townie clothing explosion. You make a good point. When I was creating this thread, I was thinking about EA'🐸🐸🐸🐸.E.E.D. AI, it's going to be amazing according to them. (why is word that represents a kernel that grows stuff, now suddenly censored?) How silly.
  • marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    No, I'm in charge.
    not for me, I like being in control :)
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Louise_G0325Louise_G0325 Posts: 1,040 Member
    I would like to know what my sims are "thinking", thus there could be pop-ups (like in Parenthood) that tells me that my sim ex. wants a divorce or wants to marry their partner. As long as I get to choose yes/no etc and don't lose my control over a sim, this would be very interesting for me!

I do think that when people say they want smarter sims though, they mean sims that do minor things that are related to their traits and life experiences and react to different things according to their personalities, not just their emotions. The massive independence suggested in these ideas, would break the game for many people if they have certain stories or ideas in mind.
  • Masters_In_SimologyMasters_In_Simology Posts: 62 Member
    Option 1: No, only because I think seeing a strange object in my house would confuse me. But with regard to online purchases, I do believe Sims should be allowed to have credit cards and the possibility of debt should exist.

Options 2 and 3: Yes, weather we agree with it or not, these things happen in the real world. Thus, I believe it should exist in The Sims.

Option 4: The first thing I do for any Sim family is hire recurring maid services, but I prefer to build my Sims skills and that does include Handiness

Options 5 and 7: Yes, decorate as you see fit. I am in the minority here, but designing rooms and houses always drives me nuts.

Option 6: Yes, provided it still builds the respective Cooking skill.

Option 8: No, because where is the limit? A pet is one thing, but I do not want a zoo for a house.

Option 9: Yes, provided that they are studying towards my predetermined Career Aspiration. Though I suppose the option to "Change Majors" could also be added in order to reset this Aspiration.

Option 10: What would happen when a Sim moves out? Would I still have any control over that character? Typically we have lost that ability when Sims move out in past games. I would need more information before I pass my final judgment on this option.
  • g01denswang01denswan Posts: 1,028 Member
    I want more independent Sims, but nothing like what you mentioned. I just want them to autonomously do everyday things like go to a festival, visit a neighbour, go to the gym or bowling or to a club depending on their traits. I don't want them to change jobs, change their marital status, have kids, adopt a pet, renovate their home, or buy/sell a business.