Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why don't we have

water bowls for our pets? Its disgusting when they drink from pee puddles!

Comments

• Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited April 2019
    Pets and sims don't have a thirst need like they do hunger. No, it's not very realistic to only need food but cow plants aren't realistic either. :p

Dogs and Cats will do nasty things. It's up to the player to lecture or scold them. Pets should eventually learn from it... I don't know if this system is broken from a patch.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    CorenrenCorenren Posts: 592 Member
    edited April 2019
    I always just place two food bowl and leave one empty, It doesn't help keep pets from drinking from puddles, but it helps make it seem more real.
    2ynjgg8.png
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Thankfully, pets don't have a thirst need, so there's no need for a water bowl! :)
  • Options
    fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    Pets might not have a thirst need but neither do sims. That doesn't stop them from having all sorts of drinks in the game to choose from and constantly grabbing said drinks. So why can't the pets have a water bowl?
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • Options
    FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    probably the same reason we don't have doghouses
  • Options
    FlyingPotato659FlyingPotato659 Posts: 1,473 Member

They should have dog houses as hate putting a massive indoor basket in my sims' house lol
  • Options
    EvsSimsEvsSims Posts: 39 Member
    > @Corenren said:
    > I always just place two food bowl and leave one empty, It doesn't help keep pets from drinking from puddles, but it helps make it seem more real.

This is smart!! I'm gonna do this too.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,560 Member
    Pets might not have a thirst need but neither do sims. That doesn't stop them from having all sorts of drinks in the game to choose from and constantly grabbing said drinks. So why can't the pets have a water bowl?

I find many of the Moms in my game hit the globe bar thing, a lot. Some walk around the house with a drink in their hands, constantly. LOL Yes, rearing children is stressful. "Hit me again, Barkeep. Better make that a double!"
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,560 Member

What? You mean giving your dog water is the same as having your pet stay outdoors — which they said was cruel?
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    FlyingPotato659FlyingPotato659 Posts: 1,473 Member
    edited April 2019

What? You mean giving your dog water is the same as having your pet stay outdoors — which they said was cruel?

Cruel to Sims' pets? I think she is annoyed the fact there is no outdoor objects for pets in the game - If that makes sense

Plus I have a dog in RL that stays outdoors and somehow reached a longer lifespan than other dogs with the same breed indoors, still living today and likely immuned to more germs than an indoor dog. Suppose to be dead by 12 while she is already 16 and already running around.

Edited: Some pets can be raised outside if you look after them in the correct way which doesn't mean it's cruel
  • Options
    ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    No idea, but I really wish they did. They clearly created a water drinking animation, yet they didn't actually give them water bowls or even just let us fill the food bowls with water. It's minor, but leaving it out just comes across a really lazy. This is something basic for pets, the animations are there, the bowls are there, so why can't we give them water to drink. :/
  • Options
    CrazyboutTheSimsCrazyboutTheSims Posts: 2,739 Member
    If pets don't have a thirst need then why do they drink from puddles?.. it isn't food
  • Options
    ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    They drink from puddles for the same reason they jump on counters. They are programmed to do those things, not necessarily cause they have a need that needs to be filled. The same reason they'll jump in a pool and go swimming. It's just an action they've programmed for them to do. Something that we can 'train out'.

But I'm pretty sure the devs said our sims have a hidden thirst, hence why we had that bug (still have?) where sims were getting tons of glasses of water, their thirst wasn't getting filled. It's just that it was hidden and if completely ignore, nothing happened, but supposedly, sims do have a thirst that they need to satisfy like once a day or ever couple days. Maybe pets are the same way, with a hidden slight thirst trait, though I do still believe they are only drinking in puddles as a random action, like most other things they do.

p8L4V6v.png
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    edited April 2019
    Ironically there's a drink that pet's can have. If your sim drinks it they'll get sick. :p

Found that out the hard way. Never bothered me that pet's have never had a water bowl in any iteration of the game. Though I get this feeling if they did they'd probably suffer the same way sims would with their bladder getting lower and lower constantly drinking water they don't need before having an accident. :#

Still, with seasons installed pets seem to notice the change in weather especially heat. Was an thought bubble above a strays head about the heat wave and suddenly they started to wallow in a water puddle in my sims yard caused by a sprinkler.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    I don't play with cats much usually dogs but I still think they should have access to a water bowl.. even if they do or don't have thirst.. they can program them to drink from it.I doubt they will make it but would be nice.
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    It would be nice if you had the option to put water in the bowl instead of food. So like how Sims can drink water to fill their hunger, pets could drink water if they want to.
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member

Which it is not to many people think of dogs as people or their children there is nothing wrong with a dog house. If I lived in an area where bobcats and coyotes would not eat my cats at night they would be outside at night as they desperately want to be its a fight to keep them indoors when they dont want to sleep or eat.

Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    Even if pets had water bowls, they would still get into things they shouldn't. My real life cat likes to drink from other peoples glasses and jumps in the tub to lick up any water after a recent shower. I give her fresh filtered water every morning yet she still seeks other sources. :unamused:
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited April 2019
    My biggest grumble with the pets is puppies needing taking up and down the stairs. I'm fairly sure that puppies can use stairs in real life. I think water bowls would be nice just to add a little bit extra realism.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    SimplyJen wrote: »
    Even if pets had water bowls, they would still get into things they shouldn't. My real life cat likes to drink from other peoples glasses and jumps in the tub to lick up any water after a recent shower. I give her fresh filtered water every morning yet she still seeks other sources. :unamused:
    at least she has a choice.. I don't care if they get into other things, then they will have a choice..I think they do have thirst needs otherwise why would they drink from puddles? Not only pee puddles but from water from the tub and shower and appliances that have broken and leave puddles.

Sharonia wrote: »
    My biggest grumble with the pets is puppies needing taking up and down the stairs. I'm fairly sure that puppies can use stairs in real life. I think water bowls would be nice just to add a little bit extra realism.

I agree puppies are a pain, but so cute.
    Post edited by CrazyboutTheSims on
  • Options
    FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    Finbar659 wrote: »

Cruel to Sims' pets? I think she is annoyed the fact there is no outdoor objects for pets in the game - If that makes sense

Plus I have a dog in RL that stays outdoors and somehow reached a longer lifespan than other dogs with the same breed indoors, still living today and likely immuned to more germs than an indoor dog. Suppose to be dead by 12 while she is already 16 and already running around.

Edited: Some pets can be raised outside if you look after them in the correct way which doesn't mean it's cruel

Growing up, we always had outdoor pets....but we had a fence and a doghouse or two. When they made this pack, I think the people without fences thought it was cruel, so they went with that! I guess they thought doghouses and dogs drinking water would take away from something else? Oh well, thats the story of the sims now.
  • Options
    QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    ChadSims2 wrote: »

Which it is not to many people think of dogs as people or their children there is nothing wrong with a dog house. If I lived in an area where bobcats and coyotes would not eat my cats at night they would be outside at night as they desperately want to be its a fight to keep them indoors when they dont want to sleep or eat.

It’s something like that for our dog, but that’s more of a skunk/deer thing.

Anyway these thread titles confuse me. I’ve seen it multiple times and I keep forgetting what it’s about.