Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why do pregnant sims drive the car to the hospital when giving birth?

I don't know if it only bothers me, but 🐸🐸🐸🐸 this is the thing that bothers me the most, while trying to have a semi-realistic gaming experience, and in reality the pregnant sim being in pain and stuff wouldn't actually be in a condition to drive. So, is there a mod that makes any other sim going to tbe hospital drive instead or is that not really possible to do? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Not that I'm aware of. Yes, that is immersion breaking to see but I'm usually grateful the sims in labor aren't riding bicycles or taking multiple subways to get to the hospital on time as I have also seen them do. I usually focus my attention elsewhere until they get to their destination when they do this.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    I’ll tell you a story. When I was pregnant of my son and the contractions started, I had an appointment with the midwife that morning and drove there to tell her it had started. Her reaction of course was: “Then what on earth are you doing here!” but still :D
    5JZ57S6.png
  • HejixHejix Posts: 1,056 Member
    @joanne65 Woah!

@iceey Because of feminism. Pregnant sims are too stubborn to be driven, they want to stay in control. Lol. Nah, seriously, a taxi is fine in that case. You could even have the option to give birth beside the road (!!!).

Pregnant sims should be able to use teleportation. That'd be the best!
    I want to play ALL the premade families! One day...
  • AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    My sister in-law walked slowly with my brother by her side to the hospital :smile:
  • stargurustarguru Posts: 2,115 Member
    I never thought of it like that. While contractions are light and still significantly spaced apart, most everyday tasks in RL—including driving—aren’t a problem. I often wish TS3 Sims could continue doing some things while in labor rather than just standing around hollering, lol.

Driving would be a problem in advanced labor though, so I can understand your point there. Some possibilities you could consider, depending on whether the laboring Sim is in your active household or not:

—Have another Sim drive the pregnant one, if someone else is available? It’s easier to arrange if both Sims involved are under your active control, but I have managed to do this for pregnant inactives who have gone into labor on community lots where one of my active Sims was also visiting.

—Ensure personal transportation is not available so the pregnant Sim needs to hail a taxi instead?

—Home birth? (My personal preference for all my pregnant actives.)

—If none of the previous options are feasible... Shrug and imagine they are in very early labor? :lol:
    edited April 2019
    The way getting into labour is portretted portrayed in movies is often a bit melodramatic :D From nothing to:

anigif_sub-buzz-2702-1494363946-1.gif

I’ll quote my mom (according to my dad): “I feel something funny.” That was me :blush: (knockknock)

Oh, and most women wear underpants when their water breaks B)

L9EkVg.gif?width=60
    Post edited by JoAnne65 on
    5JZ57S6.png
    edited April 2019
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    The way getting into labour is portretted in movies is often a bit melodramatic :D
    In the game, the ways in which other sims around them react could easily fall into that category as well (to put it mildly). Is this also what goes on inside the hospital, with our sim surrounded by health care professionals and where we can't see anything? :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • ChuChuExpressChuChuExpress Posts: 3,228 Member
    Or if one of your sims is a Fire Chief, get the pregnant sim in the Fire Engine, whack on the siren and drive to the hospital.
    e6581e69b0d7d8f9e02cb1e30b50f464959bfb2a.png
    Sims 4 Family: Benjamin, Shine, Princess Roddy, Sophia and Hamish Furystrykar and Shelly Heart. Princess Roddy is my avatar, and he's a boy!
    Let those smiles spread!
    igazor wrote: »
    The way getting into labour is portretted in movies is often a bit melodramatic :D
    In the game, the ways in which other sims around them react could easily fall into that category as well (to put it mildly). Is this also what goes on inside the hospital, with our sim surrounded by health care professionals and where we can't see anything? :)
    LOL, hope not :D I must admit I like that in the game by the way. It's a game ;)
    Or if one of your sims is a Fire Chief, get the pregnant sim in the Fire Engine, whack on the siren and drive to the hospital.
    That's perfect lol!!
    5JZ57S6.png
    edited April 2019
    I must admit I like that in the game by the way. It's a game ;)
    Okay, I agree it's funny in measured doses. But when the same parent goes into labor after pregnancy #10 or higher, the correct reaction from those around them (at home, anyway) should be something more like, "Oh, here we go again. So what's on TV tonight and who is going to cook dinner for us?" :p

That does sound cool, but in my game the fire engine is the slowest possible moving vehicle. Are there versions out there that can get around town as fast as some of the higher end cars? :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • ChuChuExpressChuChuExpress Posts: 3,228 Member
    edited April 2019
    @igazor.
    It can be upgraded 3 times, each making the fire engine faster.
    e6581e69b0d7d8f9e02cb1e30b50f464959bfb2a.png
    Sims 4 Family: Benjamin, Shine, Princess Roddy, Sophia and Hamish Furystrykar and Shelly Heart. Princess Roddy is my avatar, and he's a boy!
    Let those smiles spread!
  • WaterdragonWaterdragon Posts: 780 Member
    edited April 2019
    Don´t know of any mod that could prevent that. In RL I know of several woman who drove by themselves to the hospital, because no one was available to accompany them. One of them didn´t took a car, but her bike.

My sims usually have home births, but when they go to the hospital, they take every vehicle that is available.
    Screenshot-x791.jpg

On one occasion the father drove the car, but I really don´t know, what prompted that.
    Even my sim found it spooky.
    Screenshot-2755.jpg
    My sim´s antics: http://waterdragonsblog.com/
    My studio: http://www.thesims3.com/mypage/WatrDragon/mystudio

Just assume that every edit I make is because of typos.
    edited April 2019
    @igazor Haha, true that. Is this relaxed enough :p ?

Eacuteowyn_278_zps69b5b9f6.png

@Waterdragon LOL, I admire her ability to keep balance with that belly :D
    5JZ57S6.png
  • IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    It bothers me too, that the mother always drives to the hospital, but what bothers me even more is after the family comes out of the hospital with the new baby, they always take a taxi home, even if the mother's vehicle is a limousine, which she should not be driving anyway.

@starguru How do you go about getting someone else to drive? If I click on the mother while the father is active and select "take to hospital" she still drives. Do you click on the hospital with the other person active and select "go here with..."? If you do that, will they still go home in a taxi?
  • Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member

I just had to laugh. We can't see anything because it is a rabbithole :D:p

Seriously OP if you try to stop the sim driving a car or indeed leaving the house because you want them to experience a home birth, the sim will do everything in her power to get to the hospital. Usually trailed by her partner or if they aren't available any other adult sim on the property. What winds me up is the sim gets in the car but leaves the partner standing on the pavement to hail a taxis. The same can happen when the baby is born and all three attempt to go home. Very odd programming indeed.
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    Seriously OP if you try to stop the sim driving a car or indeed leaving the house because you want them to experience a home birth, the sim will do everything in her power to get to the hospital. Usually trailed by her partner or if they aren't available any other adult sim on the property. What winds me up is the sim gets in the car but leaves the partner standing on the pavement to hail a taxis. The same can happen when the baby is born and all three attempt to go home. Very odd programming indeed.

I have only ever had a couple of sims try to go to the hospital and I have had thousands of births in my game over the years. I could be wrong but I felt that it happened when I didn't stop the partner from reacting to the impending birth. I stop them after I have taken a couple of pics. The "baby dance" is good for a laugh but only for a few seconds :#
  • GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,079 Member
    That has always bothered me as well lol.
  • ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member
    I've been looking for a mod or workaround too. I don't know when it changed in my game but it used to be if I had a couple expecting a baby the not pregnant parent would drive the pregnant one to the hospital but now practically every time it's the pregnant one driving to the hospital with the dad or other mom in the passenger seat, if they make it in the car at all.

Then I guess sometimes they get to the hospital too late, having missed the ride and all, can't blame someone in labor for not waiting around, and the interaction for them to go in the hospital and be there for the birth of their child gets canceled so they just stand outside the hospital all awkward looking, lol.

@Mikezumi you might be onto something. The last time my pregnant sim went into labor in the backyard and only her children were around, the husband was walking out the backdoor and I had him take her to the hospital before he could react and he drove her. Then with another pregnancy when she went into labor he had stopped reacting himself for some reason before I chose the take to hospital option and he drove then too.
    KqGXVAC.jpg
  • stargurustarguru Posts: 2,115 Member
    IreneSwift wrote: »
    @starguru How do you go about getting someone else to drive? If I click on the mother while the father is active and select "take to hospital" she still drives. Do you click on the hospital with the other person active and select "go here with..."? If you do that, will they still go home in a taxi?
    I had once managed to direct a teen to drive her mother to the hospital when mom went into labor while they were away from home and the teen had their family car in her personal inventory.

So I tried to duplicate this in another household. I placed all family vehicles in the father’s personal inventory prior to the mother's labor starting. When the mother went into labor, I cancelled the "go to hospital" action in her queue, and switched to the father. I directed him to walk off the home lot (like just across the street). Once he was there, I clicked on her and selected "take to hospital." She walked to him, he pulled out a vehicle and got in the driver's seat, then she got in and off they went. I can't be sure, but having the laboring Sim not drive herself seemed to work when Sims (or at least the intended driver) were not on a lot at the time.

IDK how consistently this method works as I only did it a few times for screenshot purposes, as I personally don't mind laboring Sims driving themselves. I haven't had a hospital birth in years though. I prefer home births which give a considerable relationship boost between mother and nooboo.

I’ve never tried the "go here with..." option for a hospital delivery. Not sure if it's available for a laboring Sim, but that might be another option if so. I've also never been successful with trying to get Sims to cancel the taxi home after a hospital birth.
    Mikezumi wrote: »

I have only ever had a couple of sims try to go to the hospital and I have had thousands of births in my game over the years. I could be wrong but I felt that it happened when I didn't stop the partner from reacting to the impending birth. I stop them after I have taken a couple of pics. The "baby dance" is good for a laugh but only for a few seconds :#
    I can't say I've had thousands of births in my game, but I've never had a problem with Sims trying to thwart my home birth plans for them either. I keep my laboring Sim as the sole active and then have them go to another room to deliver—I can only handle the rest of the family hopping around and screaming like the house is on fire for so long. :tongue:
  • IceeyIceey Posts: 148 Member
    edited April 2019
    Well ye I meant when another sim is with them, because then the other sim would drive most of the time. But your stories made me smile lol. Well I shall see. Deleted the sims 3 since my pc atm is a patato, and am just playing ts2 eith 14gb worth of mods and cc. It doesnt lag at least XD. Thanks a bunch for the help!
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    Well, you aren't a completely helpless creature when you're in labor. I've tried it and just saying ;)

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• IceeyIceey Posts: 148 Member
    edited April 2019
    Ye I know. I'll have to come to terms with pregnant sims driving ig, cause what I'm trying to say is if you have your significant other with you, wouldn't they insist on driving? My current fam went up to 60members so watching them each time whenever I chose to send them to the hospital with the husband chilling there like: "ye ok, my significant other seems in loads of pain but imma sit next to her while she's in pain" just makes me go like why? But ye, I do like reading all the stories people posted in here. :)

For me home births don’t give any issues either. I do delete the panicking icon and once I’ve done that, it won’t return (as my Demyan playing with his cat shows :D , that was autonomous).
    5JZ57S6.png
    Mikezumi wrote: »

:D you clearly have your sims under better control than me.
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.

Sim enim est vita

For me home births don’t give any issues either. I do delete the panicking icon and once I’ve done that, it won’t return (as my Demyan playing with his cat shows :D , that was autonomous).

I will just have to try harder to keep the, at home. Perhaps I should remove the doors :p

Sim enim est vita