Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Organizing your CC

I just started downloading CC the other weekend and have officially caught the bug. I'm just now realizing I didn't keep track of what is what, so if I want to take something out, whether it's broken or not, I imagine it'll be a little hunt to figure out what is what from my mod folder to what I'm seeing in CAS.

I'm curious, how does everyone here organize their CAS CC? Do you keep a log of what's what? Copies of everything you download with notes or pictures?
aD9wyNW.jpg

Comments

• JagwithtudeJagwithtude Posts: 1,452 Member
    edited September 2017
    There are many ways to organize, what I find easiest for me is making folders in my mods folder, My mod folder looks like this,

Build
    Buy
    CAS
    MCCC
    Misc Mods
    Temp folder
    Temp folder CAS
    Terrain

I then have subfolders in Build, Buy and CAS as these can be a few levels deep.

Build folder looks like this,
    Doors
    Fences, Gates, Stairs
    Windows
    Floors
    Walls
    Roofs, Foundations
    Outdoor plants

My buy folder is pretty much the same, I make a folder for each room, one for decor, indoor plants and one for misc stuff

My CAS subfolders are
    Accessories
    M clothing
    F Clothing
    K Clothing (K is for kids as I have both children and toddler clothes in it)
    Hair
    Eyebrows_Beards_Eyelashes
    Makeup_Nails
    Shoes
    Skins_Tattoos

MC Command Center is in MCCC and my other Mods go into my Misc Mods folder

I use my Temp folders for CC that is newly downloaded so I can check to see that everything is working with it before I move it into its "proper" folder.

Yes, I have loads of CC so I have found this way of organizing CC works for me.

You might wish to also download S4S, it is a big help if you wish to find CC that doesn't have its own thumbnail, delete CC you no longer want, delete color swatches you will never use, I just downloaded a lipstick with 100 color swatches, 50 were color and the other 50 was the same colors only with the mouth gap, which I don't like to use, so I deleted those and the other swatches I won't use, I got the lipstick down to 20 shades that I will actually use in my game, lastly you can use S4S to fix "stuff" that is in the wrong category eg. a party dress that is also in the bathing suit category. http://sims4studio.com/ S4S is free you only need to register to download it.

I hope this helps you somewhat with your CC.
    "If you could read my mind, I'm pretty sure you'd be traumatized for life"

Join us on Discord for help with MC Command Center @ Discord https://discord.gg/TKp3GqE
    The latest version of MCCC 3.9.6 go to https://www.patreon.com/posts/mc-command-3-9-6-15332977

Rrkznuy.jpg?4

• SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    My method isn't very detailed. I save thumbnails for each item with a matching name which makes it easy to sort. My CC collection is used as an archive to pull from so I don't have everything installed at once.

Modify
    - Mods
    Defaults - Defaults
    Creators - Multiple subfolders inside to organize by creator.
    CAS - Miscellaneous bits from sites I only have one item from.
    BuildBuy - Miscellaneous bits from sites I only have one item from.

If you're going to have levels of subfolders, you will need to edit the Resource CFG file.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • auroraael14auroraael14 Posts: 988 Member
    I separate mine into different folders:
    Mods
    Hair
    Eyes/skin
    Build mode
    Objects
    Clothes
    Poses
    Accessories
    Make-up/other

I don't download a lot of CC so this works best for me. The folders that seem to have the most are Hair, objects, clothes, and poses while the rest are either empty or only have a few things in them.
    Check out my gallery for house builds! Username: aejp24
  • DeadishSimmerDeadishSimmer Posts: 44 Member
    When I started downloading I didn't think to do this but now I probably couldn't, considering I have 1000000+ cc in my game... O.o
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Gah...

Here I have had MCCC in a folder all this time and now I realize that I can place the CC in folders as well. Since I have 7 items of CC so far it isn't that difficult but that could change.
  • JagwithtudeJagwithtude Posts: 1,452 Member
    edited October 2017

If you're going to have levels of subfolders, you will need to edit the Resource CFG file.

Actually, you can be 4 levels deep for regular CC and only 1 level deep for script mods before you need to edit your Resource CFG file.

"If you could read my mind, I'm pretty sure you'd be traumatized for life"

Join us on Discord for help with MC Command Center @ Discord https://discord.gg/TKp3GqE
    The latest version of MCCC 3.9.6 go to https://www.patreon.com/posts/mc-command-3-9-6-15332977

Rrkznuy.jpg?4

• estella_deeestella_dee Posts: 263 Member
    If any of you guys played WoW or ESO, there is this 3rd party program you download called Minion, and what it does is it manages the mods for those games. That is also where you can download/delete/update your mods. I kinda wish The Sims has something like that-- a mod/cc manager. It would be very useful, both for the players who downloads CC and for CC creators, especially if there is a new patch, and you have to download updated version of those CC. I barely have used CC in my game, I only have one, however back when I was still playing TS2 I had a ton of CC.
  • skaethiiskaethii Posts: 1 New Member
    When I first started downloading CC I was so serious and over-organized; I'd keep an excel document with every CC I downloaded, their thumbnail, download link, creator, etc. Needless to say, this took more time than actually playing the game and using the CC. Nowadays I use folders in the Mods folder. I create one for each creator I download content from, and within their folders, I have other folders for CAS (clothes, accessories, and so on), BUILD, complete set-folders if I download a whole set, etc.
  • CupcakeWitchCupcakeWitch Posts: 542 Member
    Depends. The CC “stuffpacks” or themed grouping just stay in their individual folder.
    The rest go in CAS>Hair (or whatever)
    If multiple are by the same creator, I usually do Hair>Creator Hair
    Maybe Creator>Cas>Hair is better but I have CC without the Creators names or thumbnails in game so I usually go by what it is first
    tumblr_m5yfcmiKZM1r6uev5.gif

• MeebxMeebx Posts: 129 Member
    I have in MODS:
    Accessories
    Makeup
    Animation HUD
    Poses
    Clothes
    Shoes
    Hair
    Furnitures
    Kids
    Skins
    Walls&Floors

This keep it simple, something broke in my game some days ago, and didnt took much time to find it was one hair :)
    I delete the folder one by one until I found out when I could log in the game again, and then I just searched from the folder the item what was broken ^^
    I NEED to organize everything I do, I can not stand everything would be in one folder :D

ID: Miubeex
  • AshubiiAshubii Posts: 795 Member
    I use TS4 Mod Manager, which I think I got from Nexus, but I can't remember. It makes it really easy to turn specific CC on and off. I used to have folders for basically every type just as others do. You can specify folders in the Mod Manager, too, which makes it easy to locate. However, for several months I turned all CC off and only just got back into using it.. and I haven't organized any of it. It's a bit overwhelming, but I think most creators make it obvious in the CC name what the CC actually is, so that helps.
  • jamiehoodjamiehood Posts: 126 Member
    I have the same issue, I didn't keep track of my mods. Thankfully they're a little more organized now, but not the best, so I appreciate all of the tips on this thread.
  • ohmyohmyohmyohmy Posts: 614 Member
    edited October 2017
    I separate my cc with folders then I merge them into packages: buy, cas, hair, makeup. I use TS4 mod manager to turn the packages on and off. :)
  • Bananas_45Bananas_45 Posts: 6,775 Member
    If any of you guys played WoW or ESO, there is this 3rd party program you download called Minion, and what it does is it manages the mods for those games. That is also where you can download/delete/update your mods. I kinda wish The Sims has something like that-- a mod/cc manager. It would be very useful, both for the players who downloads CC and for CC creators, especially if there is a new patch, and you have to download updated version of those CC. I barely have used CC in my game, I only have one, however back when I was still playing TS2 I had a ton of CC.

Sims 4 Studio allows you to look at and delete CC as well as create CC.
    http://sims4studio.com/ you will need to sign up to use the program but, it's free.
  • BoredinTXBoredinTX Posts: 350 Member
    I color code [tags on OSx] by buy, build, accessories/makeup, clothes, mods, hair, and skin/details/eyes. Then put them into folders.

I find broken things or things I don't want by using the tray importer. There are some good tutorials on it and when you get to thousands of pieces of CC like me it is a lifesaver.

In the Sims 3, I used folders and sub-folders and it worked really well. Be careful though, CC can be both addicting and frustrating.
  • Jo2uke_kunJo2uke_kun Posts: 10 New Member
    > @Jagwithtude said:
    > There are many ways to organize, what I find easiest for me is making folders in my mods folder, My mod folder looks like this,
    >
    > Build
    > Buy
    > CAS
    > MCCC
    > Misc Mods
    > Temp folder
    > Temp folder CAS
    > Terrain
    >
    > I then have subfolders in Build, Buy and CAS as these can be a few levels deep.
    >
    > Build folder looks like this,
    > Doors
    > Fences, Gates, Stairs
    > Windows
    > Floors
    > Walls
    > Roofs, Foundations
    > Outdoor plants
    >
    > My buy folder is pretty much the same, I make a folder for each room, one for decor, indoor plants and one for misc stuff
    >

Hey! I'm curious to know, why one folder was named 'Buy'?
  • RozliRozli Posts: 17 Member
    I'm so happy I came across this thread. I need to organize my cc collect before it gets out of hand.

Thanks for the helpful tips.
    Not So Berry Legacy Challenge
  • MissNightOwlMissNightOwl Posts: 740 Member
    I use folders and subfolders as well. Also, I usually save also the images, especially for things like hairstyles (that's the most of my CC anyway). The good thing about gameplay mods is that they're usually well-descripted named ;)
  • pokemon291pokemon291 Posts: 27 Member
    I just use folders, I don't like to go more than one level deep. It's very useful and I wish we had it in Sims 3.
  • clee541clee541 Posts: 1 New Member
    the more subfolders you have, the longer it takes your game to load and the more lag. use ts4 studio to merge files and you can have infinite cc:) kinda lol
  • EvsSimsEvsSims Posts: 39 Member
    I date my subfolders. Like when I downloaded stuff today, it would be in 20190422. That way when I see new cc is bugged or missing a mesh, I know I'll have to look for it in my most recent subfolders. I started doing it this way because I did not have the patience to look through every piece of cc after downloading... I mean I sometimes download 800+ pieces of cc in one day...
  • KayNoelKayNoel Posts: 10 New Member
    if you have a windows computer. I definitely recommend the sims 4 cc tracker. It only works with clothing but it's so useful for broken cc.

my folders are organized like this:

background (the background in cas can be customized!)
    build
    cas
    littlemssam (she makes amazing mods!)
    maxis match hair (the only hair I like to use and hair likes to break a lot with updates so I recommend a separate folder for it!)
    playable pets
    script

I also have a folder that lives on my desktop for mods I don't use in my game all the time labeled sims mods-cc. It's where I put things like poses, mccc, heavier script mods, etc. It's useful for me since I only have a regular laptop and having too many mods in game makes my game laggggg.

I also recommend making an extra save of your main game because some older cc/ mods can corrupt your save. :disappointed:
  • ZaszZasz Posts: 806 Member
    Mine looks like this:
    34761776cf.jpg
  • PeculiarPlumbobPeculiarPlumbob Posts: 535 Member
    edited May 2019
    I have
    - CAS folder (mostly CAS mods tho)
    - CC folder (divided into multiple sub-folders like male/female hair, male/female tops, children, toddlers, tattoos, skin details etc.)
    - WIP folder (where I put all my new CC that I then go through in Sims 4 Studio because I want to tag everything correctly and make sure CC isn't allowed for random)
    - MODS folder (aka gameplay mods and other random mods)
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,717 Member
    edited May 2019
    Mods / Creator or
    Mods / Type (For example Hair) / Creator

so for example Mods/Hair/Aharris00britney

This way I can more easily pinpoint if some mod needs to be removed. Heavy script mods like mc command center and ui cheats should also be in their separate folders so you can easily move them from your mods folder whenever they release a new patch as these mods tends to break with every new patch.