Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 5? No thank you!

Comments

• LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,212 Member
    edited April 2019
    It’s been remade 3 times and still manages to be a successful game, differences and all.

"successful game" ? Yes but how long ?
    Will the community keep on purchasing it when the score will be lower than 70/100 ?

SimCity 4 (2003) got 84 (17 millions of units sold) but SimCity Societies (2007) and SimCity (2013) got 63 and 64 (2 millions of units sold) before "killing" the franchise.
    The Sims 4 (2014) already reached 70, I guess The Sims 5 (2024?) will get a score between 70 and 60.

The fifth or sixth game may be the last one.
    Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    I love sims 4 and don't want it to end. If there comes a sims 5 I think that if your buy the base game you should get a free code for any packs equivalent to ones you already owned through origin for Sims 4. But not for packs that aren't the same as the Sims 4 ones and not for ones you didn't own.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    I love sims 4 and don't want it to end. If there comes a sims 5 I think that if your buy the base game you should get a free code for any packs equivalent to ones you already owned through origin for Sims 4. But not for packs that aren't the same as the Sims 4 ones and not for ones you didn't own.

That isn't ever going to happen. They are not about to give away 40 dollar expansions to everyone after delivering them seeing we only get the do - overs because players ask for them every single series as many say they are part of living life and this is a life simulation game. You are saying you want a series with no careers, no sims getting together, no bars or dancing - etc etc because if folks demand them free - you'll get none of that....

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

It’s been remade 3 times and still manages to be a successful game, differences and all.

Will the community keep on purchasing it when the score will be lower than 70/100 ?

SimCity 4 (2003) got 84 (17 millions of units sold) but SimCity Societies (2007) and SimCity (2013) got 63 and 64 (2 millions of units sold) before "killing" the franchise.
    The Sims 4 (2014) already reached 70, I guess The Sims 5 (2024?) will get a score between 70 and 60.

Sims societies and Sim City 13 were not made by Maxis - it's no wonder they bit the dust.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

Writin_Reg wrote: »

That isn't ever going to happen. They are not about to give away 40 dollar expansions to everyone after delivering them seeing we only get the do - overs because players ask for them every single series as many say they are part of living life and this is a life simulation game. You are saying you want a series with no careers, no sims getting together, no bars or dancing - etc etc because if folks demand them free - you'll get none of that....

No because there will be lots of people who didn't have them with Sims 4 who will buy them. But no I'm not expecting to get that, but I don't want to keep buying the same game over and over again. So if Sims 5 came out and it was all the same packs he had to re-buy again then I would not be getting Sims 5. Where as if you didn't have to buy the same content again, then I would be willing to buy the base game and any future packs that are not related.

Again not expecting to get it, so not expecting to buy Sims 5 if it ever comes out
    edited April 2019

No because there will be lots of people who didn't have them with Sims 4 who will buy them. But no I'm not expecting to get that, but I don't want to keep buying the same game over and over again. So if Sims 5 came out and it was all the same packs he had to re-buy again then I would not be getting Sims 5. Where as if you didn't have to buy the same content again, then I would be willing to buy the base game and any future packs that are not related.

Again not expecting to get it, so not expecting to buy Sims 5 if it ever comes out

I am guessing but are you new to the Sims series? Like it is just basically the subject of the packs that are like previous versions - they are actually not alike otherwise.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    edited April 2019
    EA has one very good reason to make a sequel to 4 and that’s money.

But right now, EA has one very good reason to continue TS4 and that’s money :p .

The key word in that sentence being right now.

Are you talking about meticritic scores? If a game is making a decent profit margin why would EA kill it? The two games you mentioned were commercial failures. You don’t dump money into something that isn’t making enough to cover it, let alone make a profit. Last I checked Sims 4 is still making money, regardless of the direction they have taken the game.
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,212 Member
    edited April 2019
    @drake_mccarty

I must admit if The Sims Studio keep on repeating the same gameplay as these last 19 years, it's not tomorrow the sales will fall to only 2 millions units sold.

I was too much negative in my comment.

@Writin_Reg

You're right, in fact SimCity isn't comparable to The Sims.

I am guessing but are you new to the Sims series? Like it is just basically the subject of the packs that are like previous versions - they are actually not alike otherwise.

I haven't played sims 3, but I have been playing since 1 and played 2. Just ages ago. And not saying the packs are identical but they are expensive and personally I think that they should just keep updating for rather than everyone having to buy a new game and the packs to get similar gameplay features.
  • Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    edited April 2019
    I have only just come across this thread. I partially agree with the OP especially on the fact there have been no announcements and I don't want to see the franchise go further down the microtransactional route.

As for the rest I have tried TS4 and it simply isn't for me. So naturally I am looking forward to the next version but only if it takes a different direction to TS4. My head says, very sensibly, that this is unlikely to be the case. EA wanted to take the Sims franchise in a different direction when TS 4 was developed and the company presumably has invested much in doing so. As it has been profitable, otherwise TS4 would have been pulled a long time ago, then the company is likely to retain the same successful strategy when and if TS5 is developed.

I think this topic should be reconsidered when TS5 is announced. I remember how fed up I felt with TS3 in the year or so before TS4 was launched. It was the same when I played TS 2. I am sure that point will come for many TS4 players, especially as the game is 5 years old this year. Then the prospect of something new, and hopefully, original might make people think again about moving on. However at the moment EA seems quite happy to go on producing packs ad infinitem and the players are happy to go on buying.
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,182 Member

I haven't played sims 3, but I have been playing since 1 and played 2. Just ages ago. And not saying the packs are identical but they are expensive and personally I think that they should just keep updating for rather than everyone having to buy a new game and the packs to get similar gameplay features.

They are going to have to make a new game sooner . Having updates will do soo much. Soon it will be stale, and obsolete .I like playing the Sims games,but even I know they all need upgrades.
  • rudy8292rudy8292 Posts: 3,410 Member
    I'm looking forward to the Sims 5. I just hope they take enough time to just finish the game before they rush it out the door.

The Sims 4 made improvements in the past years, but the core foundation is still lacking and broken, which they are not able to fix anymore with DLC and updates. For example the closed off worlds and neighborhoods. I don't really mind closed worlds, but at least open neighborhoods should be a thing. It is extremely immersion breaking not being able to walk to your neighbors house and hang out without a loadingscreen. Or the lots next to you being dead. It would at least be nice to see other Sims going about their day (leaving for work, coming home, gardening, playing in their yards etc).

I am not a fan of the ''emotions'' system at all, I think traits are lackluster and mean nothing when it comes to gameplay. Sims do not have real personality like they had in Sims 3, where every trait really meant something and the sims felt different from eachother.

Also I hope they are not going to try to make The Sims 5 online again. The Sims is imo a single player experience, something you play to get away from the daily life.

It's almost a no brainer that there will be a Sims 5, I mean, it still sells like hot cakes and The Sims franchise is one of the most important franchises for EA, so it would be stupid to not make a new one. Let's just hope they make the right decisions and take enough time to make a better product instead of the hot mess they released in 2014.
    edited April 2019
    rudy8292 wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to the Sims 5. I just hope they take enough time to just finish the game before they rush it out the door.

The Sims 4 made improvements in the past years, but the core foundation is still lacking and broken, which they are not able to fix anymore with DLC and updates. For example the closed off worlds and neighborhoods. I don't really mind closed worlds, but at least open neighborhoods should be a thing. It is extremely immersion breaking not being able to walk to your neighbors house and hang out without a loadingscreen. Or the lots next to you being dead. It would at least be nice to see other Sims going about their day (leaving for work, coming home, gardening, playing in their yards etc).

I am not a fan of the ''emotions'' system at all, I think traits are lackluster and mean nothing when it comes to gameplay. Sims do not have real personality like they had in Sims 3, where every trait really meant something and the sims felt different from eachother.

Also I hope they are not going to try to make The Sims 5 online again. The Sims is imo a single player experience, something you play to get away from the daily life.

It's almost a no brainer that there will be a Sims 5, I mean, it still sells like hot cakes and The Sims franchise is one of the most important franchises for EA, so it would be stupid to not make a new one. Let's just hope they make the right decisions and take enough time to make a better product instead of the hot mess they released in 2014.

Open neighborhoods has the same programming as open worlds and has to be in the game engine programming from the ground up. That is a fact with this world design - the worlds them selves were not designed for this - so what you are asking for can't happen. They are as open as possible in this game anyway unfortunately.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• rudy8292rudy8292 Posts: 3,410 Member
    rudy8292 wrote: »

Open neighborhoods has the same programming as open worlds and has to be in the game engine programming from the ground up. That is a fact with this world design - the worlds them selves were not designed for this - so what you are asking for can't happen. They are as open as possible in this game anyway unfortunately.

I know that, that's why I said that the core foundation of the sims 4 still is broken and not fixable with dlc and updates. That's why I hope TS5 is going to be better and they are taking the time they need.
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    edited April 2019
    We continue to get updates telling us that though the release schedule is going to be different, they are still going strong with Sims 4

As for why EA would shut down a game for making good money, I think we all know the saying about AAA publishers - they don't want lots of money, they want ALL the money.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • lynciaa_lollynciaa_lol Posts: 22 Member
    I think the biggest reason to not get the sims 5 right now is because there aren't a lot of expansion packs for sims 4 yet. There is so much to be done with sims 4 that they haven't even thought of, in my opinion.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

But it's a life simulator series. We expect the game to reflect life with some weather, some pets, some cars, some planes or drones or something, and some family units of every age. So, you can't expect a life simulator not to redo the things that involve life like weather, pets, age groups (possibly University again) etc. etc. If the series doesn't continue those sort of packs it's not representing life very much is it? Those things have to be thought about and added or at least basic in the base.
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »

But it's a life simulator series. We expect the game to reflect life with some weather, some pets, some cars, some planes or drones or something, and some family units of every age. So, you can't expect a life simulator not to redo the things that involve life like weather, pets, age groups (possibly University again) etc. etc. If the series doesn't continue those sort of packs it's not representing life very much is it? Those things have to be thought about and added or at least basic in the base.

You said exactly what I felt like saying, but didn't feel like typing out, lol. I don't know what people expect to be in the game if we take out all the basic life stuff. Sure, there are more themes we can add but what sense would it make not to do the more basic aspects of life? This reminds me of how confused we were to see the first careers that came with TS4. They were trying to do more wacky, interesting careers when we first wanted teachers, lawyers, etc.
  • luvdasims55luvdasims55 Posts: 14,646 Member
    edited April 2019
    It would be awesome for the base game to come with all the life sim aspects from past iterations. Realisticly though, it would probably involve a lot more man hours to build then EA/Maxis would be willing to invest in a base game. So getting a lot of those things in future packs makes sense and is realistic to me.

I just hope they take the time to make a solid base game of high quality this time around. I will happily wait for more content at a later date that I want in my game. Unfortunately, I no longer trust that they will do this. They seem to be more interested in rushing things out to make some fast cash. To make matters worse, they leave performance problems/bugs unfixed in their rush to create more sub-par content to sell which adds more bugs and/or performance problems. And they will continue to do so as long as we accept that and continue to buy substandard content.

I hope they prove me wrong, but I'm not holding my breath.
  • cristill13cristill13 Posts: 2,162 Member
    Imagination! That's the word of the day. Step into a rocket, live on an alien planet, colonize, alien pets, new plants with new powers.... I also would like to see underwater colonizing. I don't care about the technicalities of the game. I just want what I want. The developers should be smart enough and have a little imagination to get the job done. They've been at this long enough to know what is needed to please everyone.
    cristill13 wrote: »
    Imagination! That's the word of the day. Step into a rocket, live on an alien planet, colonize, alien pets, new plants with new powers.... I also would like to see underwater colonizing. I don't care about the technicalities of the game. I just want what I want. The developers should be smart enough and have a little imagination to get the job done. They've been at this long enough to know what is needed to please everyone.

But the technicalities matter the most from the beginning. It will determine if they build a strategy game or an adventure game, or a questy game, or a life simulator. It will hamper or help the 'world' and how it can be expanded or limited. Whether players have a true sandbox or have to work within a very limited world or hood or server world. The technicalities of how the game is structured will determine 99% of what happens within that 'world'.
    Okay @Cinebar I get it. Of course the technicalities are important, but I don't want to have to think about it. They should know what the majority of the sim plays want. As you can see, my imagination tends to take over.
    edited April 2019
    cristill13 wrote: »
    Okay @Cinebar I get it. Of course the technicalities are important, but I don't want to have to think about it. They should know what the majority of the sim plays want. As you can see, my imagination tends to take over.

You have a great imagination, I hope they listen to us, you. :) P.S. I begged for an Underwater world in TS3, instead of anything into the future when we were voting what theme they should do for the last pack. :D
    @Cinebar We might get what we want. If they're really listening to what people are asking for. It sounds like you want to get out of the rinse and repeat, repeat, game. Something a little different would be nice.