Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Get Famous: Should I buy it?

I've been wanting to pull the trigger and buy Get Famous lately. I plan to eventually, but I've also been waiting for any 'game-breaking' bugs to be fixed. Also, I couldn't find a recent-ish thread for this. So, for those of you who all ready have Get Famous, would you recommend it in its current state? Any and all insight is appreciated. Thanks!

Also, any features you think that might really sell the game, please enlighten me. Trailers only tell so much. Playing something really does make a difference, in my opinion.
Origin: ShadyLady1989 | please feel free to add/friend me!
Sims 4 Blog
Don't feed trolls. Do feed cowplants.

Comments

• Options
    nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    Get Famous is actually pretty great. They fixed most of the issues in the April 2019 patch, and the rest are just tiny. I'd wait until it's on sale (like now), but other than the tiny world, it really is a good pack.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Options
    ShadyLady89ShadyLady89 Posts: 908 Member
    Thanks @nerdfashion for your input! I almost bought it the other day when it was on sale. I'll probably wait for a sale again. Glad to hear most things have been fixed.
    Sims 4 Blog
  • Options
    @ShadyLady89 actually, it's on sale until April 25th. If you wanted, you could buy it right now.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Options
    @nerdfashion do you play rotationally? and if so, how does GF work with that playstyle?
    Sims 4 Blog
  • Options
    No, I don't play rotationally. Sorry /:
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Options
    AssimuloAssimulo Posts: 1,322 Member
    Get Famous is fun! It ties in with almost everything in the game and adds some new stuff like vlogging and a new way to make and publish music too. I love perk trees so the celebrity perk system is very entertaining to me. The game even has award ceremonies for your achieving sims. The acting career has some variety to it, and it's very lucrative. It's one of the best packs for the game in my opinion. The thing about sims 4 packs is that they kind of work together, so the more you have the more intriguing your game becomes.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    @Assimulo thanks for your input! That really helps me in making my decision. I've read that celebrities can be a bit of a problem when visiting community lots. Have you run into that?

@nerdfashion that's okay. I appreciate your input all the same. Very helpful. And I hadn't realized GF was on sale until the 25th. So thanks for that info too.
    Sims 4 Blog
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    The one annoying bug that still exists as far as I’m concerned involves the new Actor career and playing rotationally.

If you have your Sim in the Actor career, make them choose a gig, and then switch your household to play with another family, when you switch back to the original family with the Actor in it, you will not be able to progress in the career. You can’t do anything in the career until you cancel that gig and select a new one. So whatever progress you had for that gig, if you have already gone to the audition whatever the case, you will have to do it all again when you select a new gig.

That is so irritating to me and I really wish they would fix this. Some people don’t play rotationally so they would never even notice this happened but I saw you asking about rotational play specifically so I figured I’d share my experience.
  • Options
    @Chazzzy thank you so much for your input. I was wondering how the game functioned with rotational play, as that is my main style. That's definitely a game-breaking issue. I hope that bug has been reported and they're working on a fix for.
    Sims 4 Blog
  • Options
    ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    I haven't played in a while, but I know there was a super annoying bug where leaving a lot after choosing a gig would cause it to change to the first one you ever took. I literally couldn't let my actress leave her house for days until she auditioned and then filmed. I'm not sure if it's been fixed yet, but I sure hope so :/

As for the pack, I like it. But ironically enough, I care about the aspect of fame the least. I got it for the CAS (which is nice) and the elegant BB (which I ADORE). I like being able to have my sims record videos and mix music too. The acting career is fun too, but gets repetitive after a while. Celebrities can be super annoying tho. Everyone in a nearby radius always stops everything they're doing to gawk at them. It's why I like the fame aspect the least. Overall I'd still recommend it, but personally I could live without it. If anything, buy it on discount. ;)
  • Options
    annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    As someone with little interest in the fame theme, I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoy Get Famous. The fame and reputation systems are very well done and I really like the CAS and build items. I haven't played the actor career yet, but it does look fun and I do like the 'gig' system we also have now with our freelance careers. The fame system also fits in nicely with City Living (e.g. singing skill), Luxury Party etc. I haven't experienced any major bugs or issues, although I have read how about many players get frustrated by celebrities disrupting restaurants and other venues when NPCs keep stopping to fawn over them. The only disappointment for me has been Del Sol Valley, which I find rather small and ugly. If/when it's on sale, I would definitely recommend getting it if you like the look of it. :)
  • Options
    NetzspannungNetzspannung Posts: 2,456 Member
    I like the pack and the fame & reputation system, but I really do not like how much of a distraction celebrities are. It can overpower all other mechanisms to a point where NPCs are completely useless (DJs, bartenders, restaurant workers all stop doing their job). I would not be able to enjoy this expansion in my game without LittleMsSam's Celebs Undercover mod. This mod adds a lot trait "Fans & Paparazzi stay out!", which really helps. I add it to some venues where I feel that it would be silly to make a big deal about a celebrity, like libraries or small gyms.
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required
    Twitter: NetzspannungTS

we all try ...
  • Options
    @Netzspannung I've heard about the celebrity problem and that's largely my hesitation right now. I don't use mods in my game, so it would be a real sore spot, but everything else about the pack sounds excellent.

@ListentoToppDogg I love the look of the CAS and B/B items. It's a large part of the pull for buying the pack for me at the moment. Thanks for sharing your insight.

@annaliese39 I've read nothing but good things about the reputation system this time around, and I would love to have that in my game. My real concern at this point is the celebrities being at every community lot. That would really drive me bonkers.
    Sims 4 Blog
  • Options
    @ShadyLady89 I understand. I use as few mods as possible, because with a game that is updated as often as TS4, you also have to keep your mods up to date. But celebrities are really a big distraction. Their presence alone is a minor inconvenience, but when they start dancing, singing or playing an instrument all other Sims in the vicinity are drawn to them like a magnet. It is a problem and I really hope for a patch someday that disables reactions to celebrities from NPCs, I just don't think it is very realistic. Like a DJ drops everything when a celebrity starts dancing. And then everyone stops dancing because there is no music and just stands around the dancefloor awkwardly until the DJ returns to the turntables.
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required

we all try ...
  • Options
    @Netzspannung That sounds incredibly frustrating, especially given I have several single sims who I love sending to clubs. That would ruin the immersion for me. I'm sure they're working on a fix for it. Like all things, they take time. I may have to put off buying GF until then, because that would really ruin my enjoyment of the game. Thanks for sharing your insight. I really appreciate it.
    Sims 4 Blog
  • Options
    @ShadyLady89 I don't want to discourage you from getting the pack, because there are a lot of great things about it, but this is something you should really take into consideration. You can minimize the effect by opting out of the system in the settings by default, which means your Sims will only gain fame if you opt in. I play many Sims, but don't want all of them to become famous. And the game does not create many (if any?) new celebrities, if you don't got to 'hotspots' (lot trait) etc. Also celebrities don't show up everytime you go out. But if your Sim is a celebrity and likes to go clubbing for example, it can be a lot of stop and go.

we all try ...
  • Options
    @Netzspannung definitely hasn't discouraged me in the long run. I for sure want the pack. The real question is do I get it now, or wait for that bug fix and then get it. Since its on sale until the 25th, I've still got some time to consider it. That's why I wanted input from people, because normally I just buy the game I want regardless of the problems, but I don't really want to deal with celebrities being too much of an issue. I am glad to hear that they apparently learned from TS3 and made fame an option you can opt into and out of, because that was a huge problem in TS3.
    Sims 4 Blog
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,562 Member
    I love GF. I also love the fact that there's a terrific mod to augment GF, as in this mod allows for a singing career! Road to Fame. I like how the celebrity points are handled in this iteration. If you couple GF with Road to Fame, the Paparazzi are a lot of fun! So are the fans. I hadn't reached the point where I played Sims4 everyday until GF came out. Now, I'm totally hooked. I would recommend it.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    Thanks for your insight @GalacticGal. Glad you're enjoying the EP. I don't play with mods, but maybe I'll have to start considering it.
    Sims 4 Blog
  • Options
    EdieApplebyEdieAppleby Posts: 134 Member
    The game play is pretty fun the first couple play throughs. It doesn't add that much, but it's kinda one of those packs that feel like "are you even playing sims if you don't have this pack" y'know, like University. (cough cough)

You can opt out of the Celebrity stuff, like in the past. The new CAS and B/B stuff are basically nothing if you use CC. I don't, so it's good for people like me

In all, it's kind of a mediocre pack. It would have been a must-have if the world was like any bigger at all.
  • Options
    @EdieAppleby Thanks for your insight. If you opt out of the celebrity stuff, does that keep all sims (even premades) from being celebrities? Or does it just make it so your sims don't currently earn fame. I'm a little confused on that aspect, but I knew it was a feature.
    Sims 4 Blog
  • Options
    AssimuloAssimulo Posts: 1,322 Member
    @Assimulo thanks for your input! That really helps me in making my decision. I've read that celebrities can be a bit of a problem when visiting community lots. Have you run into that?

@nerdfashion that's okay. I appreciate your input all the same. Very helpful. And I hadn't realized GF was on sale until the 25th. So thanks for that info too.

I haven't run into a problem with celebrities visiting lots yet, but I'm aware that problem exists for some people and that Maxis is working on it. I did however run into the general error of sims being called to one lot and being delivered to another, but that was fixed in the recent patch.
  • Options
    DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,876 Member
    edited April 2019
    GF premades (or already famous sims) will stay famous but sims that are not famous won't earn fame. I think.
    @EdieAppleby Thanks for your insight. If you opt out of the celebrity stuff, does that keep all sims (even premades) from being celebrities? Or does it just make it so your sims don't currently earn fame. I'm a little confused on that aspect, but I knew it was a feature.
  • Options
    Foxy_Foxy_ Posts: 37 Member
    Hell yeah its an amazing expansion pack
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,562 Member
    Assimulo wrote: »

I haven't run into a problem with celebrities visiting lots yet, but I'm aware that problem exists for some people and that Maxis is working on it. I did however run into the general error of sims being called to one lot and being delivered to another, but that was fixed in the recent patch.

I don't consider stars showing up in other town venues at all problematic. My parents grew up in Santa Monica in Southern California. Dad ran into a number of stars. I grew up with these stories and I have seen a couple, myself. When we were leaving the harbor we saw Dan Blocker, who played Hoss on the old Bonanza TV series standing near the bow of his boat, he was coming in as we were headed out. One year when we went to Catalina, I was on the small dock that headed into town. There I saw (just a few feet away) Jack Klugman. He was busy directing a scene for his new TV series, Quincy which came out that fall.

So, I'm not bothered that the celebrities show up in other towns.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/