Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is there any way to download CC/mods without WinZIP or WinRAR?

I used the free trial for WinZIP while I could, but eventually it ran up. I enjoyed downloading CC and mods. I'm not tech savy at all. I don't want to pay for WinZIP or WinRAR. I know I could do another free trial, but it was a pain to do in the first place since I had to sign up for something to get it. Are there any other options?

Comments

• may151997may151997 Posts: 209 Member
    Which one would I download?

7-Zip 9.20
    Or
    7-Zip 15.10 beta
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    If you use Windows, you don't need a separate program for zip files; Windows will open them. You do need a separate program for rar files.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,519 Member
    may151997 wrote: »
    Which one would I download?

7-Zip 9.20
    Or
    7-Zip 15.10 beta

This is what is written on the site .
    What version of 7-Zip is more stable?

Now there one main version of 7-Zip:

7-Zip 9.20 - it's revision 20 of 7-Zip 9 (started in 2009)
    Latest beta versions can fix some bugs of previous versions. So they can be more stable in some cases. In general it's safe to use latest beta version.

It would be good to use the beta version.
  • rosie_simmerrosie_simmer Posts: 1 New Member
    I'm on a windows device and have a zipfile- I have extracted all (which i have been told to do) and put them in the right folder. I logged onto my game and it said that windows/sims couldn't remember anything because what i was using wad big. THen i went into script mods and cc, nothing showed! Can someone please help??? :s
  • NAem_NAemNAem_NAem Posts: 2 New Member
    Currently, I've only needed to click on the .package folder and move the contents to the Mods folder. One problem could be the folders appearing in the user downloads folder after extracted. All I can say is to double check the location of files, but this issue could also be from custom content and scripts not being enabled.
  • TyrianPrinceTyrianPrince Posts: 44 Member
    I'll second 7zip. I know some modders say it doesn't always work for .rar files, but I've personally had 0 issues, 7zip works like a breeze for both .zip and .rar files and the occasional odd modder that actually uses .7zip.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,287 Member
    edited April 2019
    I'm on a windows device and have a zipfile- I have extracted all (which i have been told to do) and put them in the right folder. I logged onto my game and it said that windows/sims couldn't remember anything because what i was using wad big. THen i went into script mods and cc, nothing showed! Can someone please help??? :s

I use Windows and found that when you select extract all, you get a window giving you the option as to where you wish to extract the files to: use the browser button to get to your documents>Electronic Arts> Sims4> Mods then click the 'done' button. I always have the show extracted files button checked to be certain everything is extracted.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • TyrianPrinceTyrianPrince Posts: 44 Member
    Also, if you're just using CC (i.e. not script mods) you can always use Raxdiam's Mod Manager. It automatically extracts .package files from compressed folders directly into the program and you just check which ones you want active in your game and it'll put them in your Mods folder for you.
  • DuraiJeevaDuraiJeeva Posts: 3 New Member
    You can download premium WinZip directly by searching on google. It's very simple to download premium software free nowadays.
  • Pipersfun2Pipersfun2 Posts: 710 Member
    may151997 wrote: »
    I used the free trial for WinZIP while I could, but eventually it ran up. I enjoyed downloading CC and mods. I'm not tech savy at all. I don't want to pay for WinZIP or WinRAR. I know I could do another free trial, but it was a pain to do in the first place since I had to sign up for something to get it. Are there any other options?

I use 7-zip and it is free. work really well haven't had a problem with it.
    while we are playing them,WHO IS PLAYING US?
  • MarrywilsonaMarrywilsona Posts: 1 New Member
    > @DuraiJeeva said:
    > You can download premium WinZip directly by searching on google. It's very simple to download premium software free nowadays.

Currently i'm using 7- zip it is very helpful to me. overview 7-zip

7-Zip is 1MB in size, and is open-source, which skill that you can get admission to it for free, even for business purposes. It permits compression that’s 2-10% higher than what the rest has to offer. 7-Zip is designed to cater to your each Winrar and Winzip-related file requirements, making it an perfect wager with a top-end bonus.

The interface appears dated, but is slick and well-arranged. Complexities are none, as you can control your duties with loads of ease and higher flexibility than any of its equivalents. You can without difficulty pick out the file you want to archive and truely drag and drop into the most important window for the compression.

Though the interface works two-way, the most possible technique is to go with the aid of the context menu route. Just pick the archives from the Window and faucet proper to compress them. There are a couple of time-saving options, such as including the documents straight to the email, which are a large plus.