Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

City Living or Cats and Dogs?

I'm trying to figure out which one to buy. I'll probably get them both eventually, but for the time being. :smile:
Which one do you like better? Which one would you like better? I'm having serious problems figuring out which one to get.
I own all other expansion packs.

Comments

• nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    Hehe this is me too! I'll probably get City Living, because my dream is to a famous actress and live in a Penthouse in LA, and I already have Get Famous. I guess you could just go on YouTube and watch some reviews for both, then decide? That's what I did.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• RosybearRosybear Posts: 51 Member
    I got Cats and Dogs then City Living after, and I have to say personally was bored with only Cats and Dogs, but with City Living absolutely loved it. I loved the apartment life, new cultures, and events going on, love it!

Animals get difficult like in life, like you have to pay a lot of attention to them and take dogs on walks etc... but having said that, when I have a family with a little free time, I absolutely love the furry friends, they're flipping adorable!

I guess it just depends on what you prefer, and how you prefer to play, sims going out on the town all night or families? That's how I see it at least :smile:
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    I personally prefer City Living in terms of world, CAS, BB, and new gameplay. For C&D I like it and all; the pets are cute, but can be really annoying too.
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Basically ask yourself if you can live without pets. If the answer is yes, go get City Living. It is essential to me; it's be best world, and adds so very very much to the game.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
    Very, very glad I found this thread. Thanks for making it @SimsQueer!
    funny-gifs20.gif

• annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    edited April 2019
    I guess I'm in the minority here? Because I much prefer Cats and Dogs over City Living, in fact it is one of my favourite packs - and not just for the pets either, although they are really cute and versatile. Brindleton Bay is my favourite world so far and there are also lots of really lovely CAS and build items. I couldn't play without it now.

I do like City Living, but it's probably my least favourite EP after Get Famous. I'm not much of a city girl, but it is nice to play there from time to time, and I do like the festivals and singing skill, which also works well with Get Famous. Honestly I don't think you can go wrong with either pack and what you prefer will depend on your own play style. I recommend checking out the SimsVIP or Carl guides and other reviews if you haven't already done so to see which appeals to the most at this point in time.
  • SimsQueerSimsQueer Posts: 103 Member
    Hehe this is me too! I'll probably get City Living, because my dream is to a famous actress and live in a Penthouse in LA, and I already have Get Famous. I guess you could just go on YouTube and watch some reviews for both, then decide? That's what I did.

I've watched a lot of gameplay videos of the sims 4 so I feel I kind of know what to expect, and I've only read reviews. The penthouse thing intrigues me as well as the new careers. I honestly make my sims do nothing but work all the time xd
    Very, very glad I found this thread. Thanks for making it @SimsQueer!

I'm very glad I made this thread :smiley: after all the replies I think I'm leaning much more towards City Living

And thanks for everyone who has replied ^^
    I guess I'm in the minority here? Because I much prefer Cats and Dogs over City Living, in fact it is one of my favourite packs - and not just for the pets either, although they are really cute and versatile. Brindleton Bay is my favourite world so far and there are also lots of really lovely CAS and build items. I couldn't play without it now.

I do like City Living, but it's probably my least favourite EP after Get Famous. I'm not much of a city girl, but it is nice to play there from time to time, and I do like the festivals and singing skill, which also works well with Get Famous. Honestly I don't think you can go wrong with either pack and what you prefer will depend on your own play style. I recommend checking out the SimsVIP or Carl guides and other reviews if you haven't already done so to see which appeals to the most at this point in time.

Oh I've seen let's plays and I absolutely love Brindleton Bay... from what I've seen. I personally like all CAS items that come with both of the packs, which is important to me cause I spend million years making my sims look good. Building is something I haven't spent so much time on in the past, but I'm growing to like it more and more.

Hmm, I didn't really like Get Famous either. I just had one woman become a worldwide celebrity and a movie star and that was it... And Del Sol Valley was just so tiny too. I also didn't like it that it didn't have snow during winter. :disappointed: Have you ever grown tired of the pets? I wonder if they're like vampires (cause I got tired of them after like an hour) or if they're like aliens (you can never go wrong with aliens).
    SimsQueer wrote: »

Oh I've seen let's plays and I absolutely love Brindleton Bay... from what I've seen. I personally like all CAS items that come with both of the packs, which is important to me cause I spend million years making my sims look good. Building is something I haven't spent so much time on in the past, but I'm growing to like it more and more.

Hmm, I didn't really like Get Famous either. I just had one woman become a worldwide celebrity and a movie star and that was it... And Del Sol Valley was just so tiny too. I also didn't like it that it didn't have snow during winter. :disappointed: Have you ever grown tired of the pets? I wonder if they're like vampires (cause I got tired of them after like an hour) or if they're like aliens (you can never go wrong with aliens).

Yes, Brindleton Bay is really beautiful. I love it and the country/seaside feel. It's also great for building if you're into that. There's lots of space and the architecture is really nice. I agree both packs offer nice CAS and build items. I just prefer living in a house over an apartment/penthouse, which can feel really isolated. It's nice to have the option of living in the city for certain households/stories though.

I've never been into the fame/celebrity theme (I'm more of a family style player), although I will admit the fame/reputation system is very well done. The only disappointment for me was Del Sol Valley, which I find small too and rather ugly. I haven't grown tired of pets yet, but then I'm an animal lover (and a huge fan of vampires - more so for storytelling than earning ranks/powers though). Dogs are naturally more demanding as they need walks and training, but even cats feel like part of the family. You can't control them, which I personally prefer as they feel more like real life pets. It's really cute watching their little mannerisms and reactions, and watching them bond and snuggle with my sims, especially toddlers. They're also really fun to make in CAS as they're just so versatile. I just guess it depends on your own interests and play style as I mentioned before. :)
  • ShadyLady89ShadyLady89 Posts: 908 Member
    Depends upon what you're most excited for in your game: the ability to live in apartments in the city, or adding furry friends to your households. If I had to choose, I'd choose C&D. Don't misunderstand, I love CL, but pets have always meant more to me than city living. However, I do hope they're are more worlds in the future that are cities.
    Origin: ShadyLady1989 | please feel free to add/friend me!
    Sims 4 Blog
    Don't feed trolls. Do feed cowplants.
  • Angie1301Angie1301 Posts: 90 Member
    the city for sure, i just love the festivals so much

Yes, Brindleton Bay is really beautiful. I love it and the country/seaside feel. It's also great for building if you're into that. There's lots of space and the architecture is really nice. I agree both packs offer nice CAS and build items. I just prefer living in a house over an apartment/penthouse, which can feel really isolated. It's nice to have the option of living in the city for certain households/stories though.

I've never been into the fame/celebrity theme (I'm more of a family style player), although I will admit the fame/reputation system is very well done. The only disappointment for me was Del Sol Valley, which I find small too and rather ugly. I haven't grown tired of pets yet, but then I'm an animal lover (and a huge fan of vampires - more so for storytelling than earning ranks/powers though). Dogs are naturally more demanding as they need walks and training, but even cats feel like part of the family. You can't control them, which I personally prefer as they feel more like real life pets. It's really cute watching their little mannerisms and reactions, and watching them bond and snuggle with my sims, especially toddlers. They're also really fun to make in CAS as they're just so versatile. I just guess it depends on your own interests and play style as I mentioned before. :)

LOL Apartments isolated... sorry, that just cracks me up because apartments are usually in a big city or in a building with lots of people
    funny-gifs20.gif

• BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member

LOL Apartments isolated... sorry, that just cracks me up because apartments are usually in a big city or in a building with lots of people

Yeah, I think the main complaint about apartments is that they are TOO busy, with over-sensitive neighbors bothering you all the time. A house is usually far more isolated.
    Speaking of, I noticed this when moving my world famous couple to a house: In an apartment you can just lock your door. In a house? Unless you build a huge ugly fence around everything you have to use a lot trait slot for "Private Dwelling", because even if you lock all your doors, your entire yard will be full of fans and paparazzi.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • AssimuloAssimulo Posts: 1,322 Member
    edited April 2019
    I suggest City Living if you enjoy living with the challenge of a confined area until your sim becomes rich and buys the penthouse. It's hard to have big families in City Living, but if your sims move out of town the festivals are really fun to go to in my opinion. The flea market literally sells collectibles too if you like collecting in the game. The humor and hijinks festival is a party to behold, especially for my comedian sims. The Romance festival makes it easy for your sim to get married on the spot, which is good for drama lol. I haven't been to geek con lately, but I remember it being really fun for my gaming and nerd sims.

If you really love animals I suggest getting Cats and Dogs, but I'll warn you here. Beyond training your pets and owning a vet shop there's not a whole lot to do besides watch your pets. The emphasis in this pack was probably the create a pet tool, which is VERY in depth, and even has a color wheel and a paint brush to customize fur and stuff. Pets aren't controllable like in the sims 3, and you can't view their needs or send them to pet jobs like in previous games. It's very realistic, and I love having pets in my game, but the pack was lacking in interactivity with your pets. I'd appreciate just having pet jobs and being able to see my pets stats. That being said, it's still fun, and the veterinary business should you decide to play it is very interactive and kind of makes up for not having pet careers and stats.

I actually can't decide for you, because I love both packs so much. I'm a huge animal lover so it would be hard for me to say I would rather have skyscrapers than pets. And city living is fun too, so it's a close call for me. I can just give you my review of each one and hope you can make a more informed decision from it.

Edit: Grammar fixes.
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,867 Member
    Wouldn't that be nice if we could build penthouses in Del Sol Valley ?

As for City Living vs Cats and Dogs, I like both but have a preference for Cats and Dogs, Brindleton Bay is nice and of course you get puppies and kitties !!
  • Ravager619Ravager619 Posts: 3,738 Member
    I really couldn't choose between the two. When I moved over to console from PC, I bought City Living first, but I turned around and bought Cats and Dogs a few days later. With my style of play, I needed both. I've been playing with cats for so long now that the game felt like something was missing without them in the household. Brindleton Bay is quite nice, too.
    "That person who helps others simply because it should or must be done, and because it is the right thing to do, is indeed without a doubt, a real superhero." - Stan Lee
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    I hated City Living and have disabled it.

Cats & Dogs, I like Brindleton Bay, despite the poor weather, and having a pet brings a new element to my game. Though don't overdo it and give every family a pet or you'll quickly tire of them. I have a rule in my game that sims can only have pets if they roll the cat/dog lover trait and must reside in BB.
    edited April 2019

Yeah, I know. The city itself is busy and great to visit. I just feel cut off from the rest of the world when I'm so high up in this little box, not that there isn't stuff going on. It doesn't help when there are no neighbours in the same part of the building (some of my city sims live in the posh uptown area). My sims run off to see the snow and I'm like, where the hell did they go? :D
  • Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    Hmmm I like both to be honest but if I had to choose I’d probably go for cats and dogs. I love Brindleton Bay, it is one of my favorite worlds behind Windenberg. The pets are really fun to watch and interact with. I personally love that you can’t control them or see their needs, to me that is very realistic to a real pet. They do a lot of really humorous things that you don’t expect because you can’t control them. The CAS is one of my favorite for male sims and the female stuff is pretty good too. The BB stuff is some of my most used out of all the packs. And as others have said create a pet is seriously incredible.

Now city living is great too though. I love having small families and single sims live in apartments. The world is really cool and each district is very distinct. The festivals are fun and the worst bug with them has been fixed with the latest patch so I plan on really using them again. The new careers are also all really fun. City living has a lot of new little things to do as well.

I think it depends on your play style for sure. Are you more of a family player or do you play a lot of single sims? I’d say CD for family player and CL for single sims. Also I just recently completed my collection after not being able to play for over a year. I watched reviews of the packs to help me or Let’s plays. It helps a lot to really see what’s in each pack.
  • NetzspannungNetzspannung Posts: 2,456 Member
    C&D is a very good pack, even for someone like me, who hardly plays with pets. CAS is hard to compare, both have great stuff. I would still go with CL though, if I had to make a choice today. Besides the careers, festivals, food stands and new dishes, I would not want to play without the singing skill, keyboards, karaoke bars, the lot type 'Arts Center', rooftop restaurant 'Stargazers' (just a slightly changed version of the 'Stargazer Lounge') which I love for dates. Also CL is strong on decoration items, the pictures and carpets are great. And while C&D is very strong in BB, I just really love the style of the furniture in CL.
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required
    Twitter: NetzspannungTS

we all try ...
  • WolfiumWolfium Posts: 2,672 Member
    I like festivals and modern BB items from City Living. Apartments are a lot different from regular houses, more secluded and plainer to build. I do like annoying neighbours and lot traits, because drama.
    I also like Cats and Dogs because it brings cats an dogs, vet career that is one of my favorite careers, and my favorite world Brindleton Bay.
    I'd go for Cats and Dogs because I need animals in game. Only, cats and dogs won't appear on streets in any other world except Brindleton and Selvadorada from Jungle Adventure.
  • queenvortex808queenvortex808 Posts: 1,033 Member
    City Living totally! It was the first ep I have ever bought and the first one released for PS4. You will not regret it if you buy it!
    I play on PS4! Otaku here! From the lands of Canada 🇨🇦
    Haha, you clicked, now you have to read all my Sword Art Online fan fiction!
    update: I got city living. I still don't have cats and dogs. but I have island living...
  • Amber_10Amber_10 Posts: 7 New Member
    I personally like cats and dogs better. City living is fun if you like to build though. How is island living? I am hoping to buy it soon??