Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A couple questions for rotational players

KalopsianDreamerKalopsianDreamer Posts: 183 Member
Hello all,

Just wanted to gather some opinions from other rotational sims players (i.e. plays multiple households and 'rotates' between them) about how they switch between the households they play.

I have a little bit of a problem when deciding what household to play when I open sims, and was wondering how people decide. Generally I just go for whoever I feel like playing, but I'll occasionally have thoughts like 'oh I haven't played X household in weeks!' or realise that I've only been playing one household for ages which causes me to doubt if my method is currently the best way to play.
Do you have an order-like structure in the way you play households, or do you perhaps play with whoever you feel like at the time?

The biggest issue is comes down to having multiple households within one save when there are upcoming holidays. Let's take Winterfest which just happened in my game as an example, I spent the whole day celebrating with one family, which means I didn't get to do so with all my other households. If I see that a holiday is coming up, that usually prompts me having to make a conscious decision about which household I want to celebrate with.
Is this an issue for you, how do you get around it if it is?

I'm considering changing it up so that I only have one household I play in each save which seems to be the best way to ensure I can at least play all of the holidays etc with each household as they come up in their retrospective timelines.
Have you tried this, what did/do you think of it?
ĆØΜ€ ŦØ ŦĦ€ ĆŘΔŦ€Ř - ΜØŦĦ€Ř ĆΔŁŁŞ ¥ØỮ ĦØΜ€

Comments

• EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,935 Member
    Well, I try to remember what households I haven't played with for a long time. I don't usually care about holidays. If you want, you could try that way that you play one year (that means all the four seasons must pass) and then switch the household.
  • RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,845 Member
    I usually play whichever I feel like if I have a story with the houses in that rotation, as in I may have a few houses in different groups I'd stay with that group and then rotate back to the others. In the past, I've gone so far as to rotate throughout the day for holidays so my sims have good holidays and then pick one that celebrates the longest. I've also added a sub holiday for more time, so something like snowflake day just not that exact name, then Christmas Eve and Christmas day as an example I also usually play on long so the calendar isn't cluttered. I usually have multiple saves and saved on different "times" so I have long, full seasons in one, then one on short and one on normal to have even more households it really depends on what I'm in the mood for I don't plan much beyond that.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    edited April 2019
    When I play rotationally, I like have my seasons on 28 days and having an odd number of families (3, 5, 7, 9) that way families will eventually work their way to other seasons.

I like structure and schedules. It's a real life preference that has transferred to my playing style in sims. So, I play for 7 sim days per family. Sometimes it's hard to leave a family, cause I'm having so much fun with them, but I stick to my guns and one week per family. Which, has a bonus, cause when I'm just dragging with a family, not having much fun, not a lot going on, I can just power thru and know I only have to play them for a week, and I've kept my order and structure intact.

I try to have at least one day off holiday a week, for each family. So even if every family can't celebrate Christmas or Thanksgiving, they get at least some type of holiday to enjoy. Sometimes I'll add another holiday or two (non-day off holiday's) just for fun for me. (ETA: Also, I make sure ALL my controlled sims know each other and, at least half way, like one another and we throw big Christmas, Thanksgiving and birthday parties where everyone is invited, so they do get to celebrate in a sense).

I'll get out my spreadsheets and notebook and pen and start planning out what family will be played when and I'll add the number of families I want until I get that sweet spot, then I try to stay right around in that area from then on. Maybe have an retirement village for all my elderly sims so their kids can start their own families (so I'm not playing 9 families, only 5) in later generations.

You really have to find what fits you and your play style. I learned mine from doing the same thing you are, asking others what they do and then creating a mash up of a few ideas I read that seemed like they'd fit my style.

I have a BaCC save going that I need to get back to, but I've been playing in my vanilla save since the 15th, so I'm sure I'm forgetting some that I do. But, it really is a learning process. And, there's nothing wrong with playing single family saves, either. I do that, too. Most of my saves are single family saves. It's just an old habit of mine. I'm still learning how to play rotationally.
    p8L4V6v.png
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited April 2019
    I have my seasons set to 14 days per season and I usually just play a family for one whole sim year then I switch to another one and I keep a list of the order that I play my families so none of them get forgotten or left out of rotation. I need to have a little bit of structure and organization in my game because I'm often forgetful. :D
  • NRoweNRowe Posts: 7,894 Member
    edited April 2019
    Right now, I play four families. Aging on Active only. Non-played aging switched on with the first family only.

Seasons set to 28 days. Strictly one week/season per family. (I rotate at 2am on Sunday).
    So, every family gets made their own version of Christmas, New Years etc.
    One of my households even celebrated Kwanza instead.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    This is from TS2 experience, as TS4 is incompatible with my play style. I basically follow the one household per play session pattern, proceeding in logical progression from A to B to C and so on. The underlying idea is 'while all that was happening with A, this is what is going on with B' and so on. This works because sims stay where I leave them. Not so with TS4, which raises havoc with story plans. And worse. Still, the basic premise should still work, even in the unstable and unpredictable TS4 environment.
  • ldmarkoldmarko Posts: 5,487 Member
    Currently I'm doing a one week, Sunday to Sunday rotation. I had them on a 4 week rotation when I first got seasons, so each household could have all the holidays, but that was taking too long. So now I've just made every Friday a generic holiday, I can add or remove traditions to suit the family, or just leave it blank & do whatever the mood strikes me to do. So far that seems to be working out okay.
    Gallery ID: LDM2
  • rudolpharudolpha Posts: 997 Member
    I play 2 families per save, am not bothered at all if only one of them celebrates on a holiday. Usually I just play for a few sim days then switch to the second family, usually on my next play session. I don't skip families but have multiple save games and keep track in writing of what my goals are for each sim family.
  • citysimmercitysimmer Posts: 5,950 Member
    edited April 2019
    I play whoever I want whenever I want. There's no rhyme or reason to how I rotate. The only downside is that some households end up getting more playtime than others. I play a different family each holiday and sometimes I siwtch families during the holiday.
    Proud black simmer 🖤
    MfVGMbL.jpg

• ShadyLady89ShadyLady89 Posts: 908 Member
    Like most others have said, I play whichever family I want. I figure eventually I'm gonna get around to playing every holiday with every family. I don't need to do it every year. Also, I have 85 households to manage in my main save, so I couldn't get to all of them for the same holiday. I play until I get bored of a family and pick someone, somewhere else to play.
    Origin: ShadyLady1989 | please feel free to add/friend me!
    Sims 4 Blog
    Don't feed trolls. Do feed cowplants.
  • purplestarz2006purplestarz2006 Posts: 340 Member
    To answer your first question, yes; I do have a very structured order to how I play my households. Each house gets 1 Sim-week, and they're always played in the same order. Any new households with Sims that grew up and moved out on their own get added to the end of the list.

As far as holidays go, my solution was to plan a holiday for every week of the calendar. (I have 14 day seasons.) This way, every household gets to celebrate something while I'm there. (I just assume that even though I'm only visiting one house, the entire town is actually celebrating each holiday at the same time. Also, since many of my households are related, many of my inactive Sims still end up showing up at the big celebrations so it doesn't really feel like they're missing out.) I've found that it actually gives some added variety to the holidays; even though the traditions stay the same each family celebrates it a little differently. It's also fun to spend a summer holiday with a family in one rotation, and fall or winter one the next. It's kind of exciting to count ahead and figure out who I get to spend each holiday with.
    TranquilityCreekBannerMaskssmall.jpg
  • DentalchickJuliaDentalchickJulia Posts: 12 New Member
    I play pretty structured like others. I play each household 7 Sim days (sun-sun). I have my seasons set on 28 days and I play 8 families so that away all families get played in half a year.
    Whichever family I'm on when the holidays hit is who I celebrate with. Sometimes I'll hop over and spend a few Sim hours with another family who maybe just had a baby or had a toddler.
    I haven't yet decided what I'm going to do once this generation's kids grow up and start adulting, I don't want to end up with more then 8 families. I may have to age some up and off, or send the elders to a home...hmm I dunno.
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I have no structure whatsoever. I just play whoever seems fun at that particular moment.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Stina1701AStina1701A Posts: 1,183 Member
    I have no structure in my main saved rotation game and saying that, for me is painful because despite my seemingly unstructured RL, my gaming (both in the Sims and other games) does sometimes need a rigid structure for my sanity. But I do have some structure set up for my rotation play.

Before Seasons, my rotation did get some structure I did follow almost rigurously but after Seasons and the existence of holidays invaded, especially the family holidays, the structure has crumbled some. When the weeks with the family holidays runs around I do sometimes skip the households with no kids and slip into the ones that have some and play the holiday week there. Then I go back into the rotation I am in. I do plan to give each household with kids the experience to have some family holiday if not all of them; for instance the Winterfest. I am also marking which hoods might get a repeat in seasons and which haven't gotten theirs yet. For instance, I've made a note that I started with Willow Creek in the spring when Seasons came around.

But my rotation is huge now. I play with 20+ families/households (which is increasingly getting bigger) that contains a mix of premades, townies I've scrounged from the homeless piles (LOVE that pile), one gallery household and two households I have created myself. About half (haven't counted, might be less) of these families are important and the others aren't. The important ones get a week each the others get about 2-3 days, maybe less, maybe longer. Some might even get skipped over during a rotation drive-by. I even have about 5 households that are not part of the rotation but are marked played (so the game doesn't pull them into NPC jobs). Their function is solely to act as neighbours, co-workers and friends and if they have kids, then they might be future love interests for the kids in my rotation. But I do go into them sometimes to check up on them. They only get a day.

Now, I say that my important households get a week and the others less. That week can stretch though if I find it necessary. I spent once 15 days with my archeology household and my lesser important ones have sometimes gotten a full week. Aging is off for everyone except in the household I play each time, I play on the longest lifespan and my seaons are 28 days each so I can have more holidays.

My rotation is to go through each 'hood until I arrive at the 'top' again. My first hood is Willow Creek, then the city, Oasis is next and after that is Windenburg and my newest last one is Strangerville. I don't play in the others yet because my rotation is so big as it is and I really want to get some generations to at least teenhood, but the premade households in those neighbourhoods are still there in limbo waiting to be added into the rotation. I haven't done so yet but then there is no rush. I don't mind if they are added when my rotation households have aged through a few generations.

But basically, in a nutshell, I do try for structure but it is malleable to fit the circumstances that my households sometimes find themselves in and the external influences (like seasons' holidays).
  • DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    I set my seasons to 14 days. I tend to play each family for 4 days. When I'm at the end of one rotation, I work out on paper what the next one is going to look like. For example, if I finished on a Sunday, the first family in the next rotation will play Mon-Thurs, the next Fri-Mon, and so on, and then I look at the calendar and see how the seasons and holidays are going to fall. Then I decide what order to play them on based on which family I want to do each holiday with this time, what days of the week they're more likely to work and whether I want to play them at leisure versus working on a promotion (I don't have their schedules memorized but I kinda know which jobs work weekends versus weekdays), who I want to send on vacation, what season I want people's gardens to be in, etc. And I write down the chosen order and then play every family once and then do it all again. I sometimes make exceptions to the four day schedule, but I keep them all aligned so they age together. Aging is set to off except for current household.

I have seven households now, so with14 day seasons winterfest is going to happen once every other rotation, so everyone gets to celebrate it eventually unless I don't want them to. I have a holiday of some sort every 3-4 days so almost every family gets one every time.
  • MVWdeZTMVWdeZT Posts: 3,267 Member
    Generally I play each of my 10 households for about a week in rotation, but on lottery day, I hit all of them to increase the chance that one of them would win the lottery (and still the million went to a townie). I set my seasons for 28 days, and it takes me about 2 seasons to get through everyone.

Since I'm going for 10 generations, I don't worry too much about holidays. I have 2 per season, and I figure that eventually all my households will get to celebrate all the holidays.

If you want your families to be able to interact with each other, I'd recommend keeping them all in the same save file.

Depending on how many families you're playing, you could set up your holidays so that you have 3 or 4 Winterfests in a row, and switch households accordingly. I wouldn't recommend doing this with all the holidays, but it would work for one or two. Your other households don't do much of anything when they're not being played, so it's not like they'd miss work or school.
  • FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    edited April 2019
    About the holidays: Most of my rotational household are family members or related through marriage, so in either way, they all come together and celebrate as a family/friends. I just see it as a day where all their timelines combine and I play with them all in that one day.

I am not sure if separate saves would be satisfying for me as I would know it didn't really happen in the other save and it will hunt me forever.

Maybe you can add certain holidays in the calendar day after day, so you get to play with a different household each day celebrating the holiday their own way? For example, if you have 7 rotational household, you take 7 days of winter and fill each day with Christmas. Other 7 days could be new year and so on.
    Post edited by FurSimsOfficial on
  • PlumbobCrossingPlumbobCrossing Posts: 8,455 Member
    I have certain goals set for each household before I switch. Like for example, I want a sim to achieve certain skills, promotion, etc. Also if they have children I will have them age in order, so I will have a toddler reach the skills I want then age them up, then I'll go to the next household and do the same for the next child in line. I have aging turned off for my played households so I can take my time.

For holidays, since my save is one big family I will either invite everyone over or go to a relatives house, or I'll just spend it with that specific family on their own because we do that in real life, some holidays you just do things at home on your own.
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,339 Member
    I play 43 sims in 18 households on aging off, following no structure. Instead I switch when it feels natural (made a new friend, now play that friend's POV) or convenient (for Starlight Accolades I take one of my 3 or 4 stars and they invite friends with less fame to increase the chances of one of my playables winning something). The passing of seasons and holidays issues is exactly the reason why I haven't gotten Seasons yet and probably will get it as the very last pack, if at all.

How many households and how many holidays do you have? Perhaps you could shedule the exact same holiday three days in a row, so that three household can celebrate it that season. Of course with many households and many holidays this wouldn't be feasible.

For major holidays I temporarily move in the extended family (playing a housekeeper townie in their original homes). For easter my current main couple had their YA son, his fiance, the son's best friend and that one's girlfriend in their household and only then invited guests for the party. That way I had the maximum number of sims on the lot - a wonderful chaos!
    But out of the 18 households only three got to celebrate Easter before I got bored, so my situation isn't any different from if I had the calender, I guess. I just have more freedom when to have a holiday and how long I want to extend it.
  • Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Before Seasons came along I rotated through ten households that consisted of a mom and dad, two sons with wives and children, a daughter with a husband and children plus close family friends who were all single. I tried rotating through each family on the holidays so each household was able to experience at least some of the traditions. What a hassle. LOL I tried bringing the entire family, along their friends, together for the holidays but it was a bit like trying to herd cats through water. The holidays became very hectic and lost some of their charm as I struggled to ensure all my playable Sims took part in the day. So I decided to move the family friends from the town and created another save for them. Now that I have just one family to bring together on special days, life is easier. I use fewer traditions so the holiday is always a success and everyone leaves happy at the end of the day. I wish everyone would stay longer on the holidays though. I recently created a club for the family members called 'Let's Celebrate' but haven't played that save for a bit as I have been focused on StrangerVille and solving the mystery. I am hoping having the family club will allow them to stay longer and give me time enough to make the holidays a bit more true to life.

One thing I do is cook the Grand Meal the night before then serve it the day of the holiday. It gives the mom more time to interact with her family and it counts as the Grand Meal once everyone is called to grab a plate. All computers are placed in the home lot inventory because even with autonomy turned off everyone flocks to the computers. I use the drink fountain so dad isn't stuck making drinks for the adults the entire day. Game tables keep my Sims busy while they interact with one another. The 'form a group' action works as long as everyone stays inside so the doors can be locked, but during the summer when there are water activities involved, family members will just up and leave. It would have been nice if our holidays had a timer like the events do so we didn't need to use a mod in order to keep invited guests on the lot.

I rotate through my households every few Sim days unless there is something special that has to happen in certain households. Job promotions, babies due to be born, pets needing attention, etc. But my days of rotating through ten to twenty households are finished. In a way, it was difficult to adjust to playing this way. However, I am happy with my decision to keep the number of playable households at six or seven. If every household didn't have at least one pet, children in the scouting activity, toddlers, children and teens working on the new traits from Parenthood, parents working on the parenting skill, I wouldn't have needed to remove the family friends. But the game has become more complex and immersive, and I need fewer Sims to fill the towns because there is so much to do and accomplish. Everyone plays this game differently. It's hard to say what each player needs to do to make the game enjoyable for him/her. I keep a small notebook on hand to keep track of each family. Job, job title, children and their ages and skills, pets, household bills are paid automatically thanks to MCCC. I use every shortcut I can find to cut down on the mundane, or irritating, things that keep me from enjoying doing the things that are fun and interesting.

• lzbthnndglslzbthnndgls Posts: 285 Member
    Honestly I switch between households whose houses are unfinished. I build as my households earn money for the most part. I start with the outside structure when they get 60-90k and then sporadically furnish them. I'm severely ADD so I hardly ever stay with a household more than 3 sim days. And if I had to guess I have more than 3 dozen unfinished builds among all my saves and at least a dozen families in each save.

It's interesting to see how a lot of rotational simmers like to play by week. I cannot do that. I just switch willy nilly.
    Check out my builds on the gallery by searching my username: lzbthnndgls
  • ValmontValmont Posts: 105 Member
    Ello friends :smile:

I got the game and all dlcs... even the deluxe version but this stupid forum dont let me post my questions sooooo... thank you ea.

Now I have no choice but ask questions here haha... I am sorry.

I did some research on archeology and it seems focused is an important mood.

I am not sure if its important to have a high or focused mood in the jungle while finding artifacts or back at home when you ... use the archeology table.

It seems the actual value of the ... artifacts is generated when you use the table and not when you find them and for that reason having ur sim with a huge focused mood is the best thing hence, do it at home.

Yet some people recomend love the outdoors and loner to boost the mood while IN the jungle...

So... when is it important to have a good mood, when ur find artifacts, when u use theh table or both????

And I am sorry.
    @Valmont welcome to the forum! It's no problem at all, I don't mind answering your question. While I don't own Jungle Adventure myself, I have watched others play it quite a bit. There are berries on trees in the jungle that will give your sim a different mood. This link to the Wikia will give you a breakdown of the Tree of Emotions and it's many berries. Cereberries will give your sim a strong Focused moodlet which helps with archeology while in the jungle. You are correct, however, that it can be easier to work on archaeology at home. It simply depends upon your play style. You could also travel back to your jungle residence and work on it there. Hope this answer helps, and maybe some others will be able to provide you more insight.
    Sims 4 Blog
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,829 Member
    Like most others have said, I play whichever family I want. I figure eventually I'm gonna get around to playing every holiday with every family. I don't need to do it every year. Also, I have 85 households to manage in my main save, so I couldn't get to all of them for the same holiday. I play until I get bored of a family and pick someone, somewhere else to play.

Faints. :o

Faints. :o

lol. I completely understand your reaction. It feels insane to me as well. A lot of my sims are recreations from S2 & S3, and then of course I always want to make new sims so it got outta hand.
    Sims 4 Blog